PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to cut down a 46 inch driver shaft to 43 inches

ws6formula
Jun 7, 2007, 03:26 AM
I have always hit my driver better with a shorter length shaft driver. By shorter shaft I mean 43 inches. I have a decent swing speed (105 mph) and don't have much of a problem hitting the shorter driver a good distance with good accuracy. I have read that some tour pros use shorter (43-43.5" drivers). I am a short shaft believer. I will be buying a new driver head and shaft components. Yet, it seems most (all?) the shafts are 45 or 46 inches in length and graphite. Is it acceptable to cut these graphite shafts down to 43 inches? Does it make a difference if the shaft is steel? Is a steel shaft more forgiving if it is cut down? Or is issue specific to each shaft? What is the best way to get a nice 43 inch length driver shaft? How are regular guys/pros getting 43 inch length shafts for their drivers?

danscustomgolfshop
Jun 7, 2007, 08:16 AM
I have always hit my driver better with a shorter length shaft driver. By shorter shaft I mean 43 inches. I have a decent swing speed (105 mph) and don't have much of a problem hitting the shorter driver a good distance with good accuracy. I have read that some tour pros use shorter (43-43.5" drivers). I am a short shaft believer. I will be buying a new driver head and shaft components. Yet, it seems most (all?) the shafts are 45 or 46 inches in length and graphite. Is it acceptable to cut these graphite shafts down to 43 inches? Does it make a difference if the shaft is steel? Is a steel shaft more forgiving if it is cut down? Or is issue specific to each shaft? What is the best way to get a nice 43 inch length driver shaft? How are regular guys/pros getting 43 inch length shafts for their drivers?

A 43 inch driver will swing weight out better in steel, but nothing wrong with using graphite if you can get enough head weight to keep the SWeight in line. You will need about a 210 - 215 gram headweight at that length for graphite. I have a 43 inch driver I kill but it is a head with weight ports - so I put 2 - 14gm. weights in to keep the Sweight in line.

wayland
Jun 7, 2007, 08:22 AM
Just have your clubfitter cut it down. That's why fairway wood shafts are shorter, they are cut.

Just curious but do you play a shorter than standard fairway wood shaft in your 3wd?

Is there really much difference in distance compared to your driver and 3wd when the shafts are of similar length? I know the loft would make a difference obviously but is it that much?

Weirfan
Jun 7, 2007, 09:29 AM

As Dan said , steel will offer you a better total weight and swing weight. I would not say that steel is more forgiving when cut down.

I suspect that pros using short drivers will have weight added to their heads via hot melt and use heavier weight graphite shafts.

as a general rule the faster and more vigorous you swing, the better a heavier swing and total weight night be and vice versa.

however steel is a very viable option and there are even lighter weight steel shafts to look at.

Duffer19
Jun 8, 2007, 02:38 PM
Pros do not use 43 inch drivers. I think the average driver length on tour is 44.5 inches. If you are using a 43 inch driver, just get a 13 degree 3 wood and you are set.

ws6formula
Jun 8, 2007, 03:16 PM
wayland-my current 3wd is 42". I am not sure what is the standard 3wd shaft length. I do notice a difference between my driver and 3wd (but, yes, it is not a big difference). I have read Tiger Woods plays a 43.5" driver (not sure if this is still true). I also read that some other notable pros and great drivers(Jack Nicklaus, Greg Norman) used 43" driver shafts.