Collapse

Cheating or Not?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheating or Not?

I'm sure we've all been in this situation before at one time or another. You hit your tee shot only to find out that our ball is lost or OB. Do you play by the rules and drop another ball for your 4th shot or do you actually walk back to the tee box and hit again for your 3rd? I'm sure many of us just drop and play it as your 3rd shot. Either because you don't want to slow down play or because we just want to "cheat" once in a while. Take a vote.
    Yes
    46.15%
    No
    53.85%
    "Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
    Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober."
    Winston Churchill

I vote for cheating.

>> Either because you don't want to slow down play or because we just want to "cheat" once in a while. <<

Oh, I think cheating once in a while breaks the montony. I mean, after you've been playing golf by the rules for a couple of hours it gets kinda tiresome. Cheating once, maybe twice, a round adds a little spice to the game.

Comment

OB areas are a lot more rare than lateral hazards, so affording to cheat once in awhile would be fine.....but on most occasions, no...OB most of the times are clearly seen even from the tee box, so it's pretty much quite obvious if you have to re-tee the ball...I guess maybe I should've voted 'yes' to it then...cuz even cheating once or twice out of many times that may happen is still cheating, right?
      Feherty: " 270 to carry the water, you might want to lay up SnowFlake "

Comment

Originally posted by Focker Singh
        I'm sure many of us just drop and play it as your 3rd shot.
        I thought this is the right way to do ... oh well, it doesn't count as cheating if you don't even know you are cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by RidetoGolf
          I thought this is the right way to do ... oh well, it doesn't count as cheating if you don't even know you are cheating.
          hahaha....RidetoGolf, under the Rules of Golf, YOU ARE A CHEATER!!! hahaha...
          Winston Churchill

Comment

and cheating once or twice out of the whole season is a cheater!

Comment

Originally posted by Ems
              and cheating once or twice out of the whole season is a cheater!
              Well excuse me..........

Comment

Originally posted by Focker Singh
                I'm sure we've all been in this situation before at one time or another. You hit your tee shot only to find out that our ball is lost or OB. Do you play by the rules and drop another ball for your 4th shot or do you actually walk back to the tee box and hit again for your 3rd? I'm sure many of us just drop and play it as your 3rd shot. Either because you don't want to slow down play or because we just want to "cheat" once in a while. Take a vote.
                As a beginner, I try to avoid taking a second shot from the tee. But I have taken a few Mulligans before. When I do hit another shot from the tee I count that as an additional stroke. But hey, I don't carry around a rule book, so I wouldn't even know how many penalties I have incurred by doing that. I don't vote for cheating. But honestly, unless you are a pro golfer, how do you expect not to 'cheat' and still play a decent round?
                You may contact me with general questions about the forum.
                Advertising requests should be emailed to advertise@torontogolfnuts.com.
                Contact us to organize a TGN golf day/TGN tournament at your golf course, email events@torontogolfnuts.com.
                Thank you to all our members and sponsors for your continued support. Looking forward to a brand new golf season.

Comment

Cheating

Depending on the purpose of the game you are playing dictates if dropping the ball is 'ok' or not.

For handicap purposes, if you drop and call it your 4th, or 3rd, odds are you will reach your stroke limit anyway and it will not effect your equitable stroke score. If you happen to hole the 4th for par, or make a bogey, you better mark it as a double, or triple depending on your handicap.

If you are playing in a tournament, definitely not correct to drop. Must rehit.

If playing with your buddies, for money, up to them on the ruling.

But if you just drop the ball and play it as 4, or 3, don't ever come up to me and say you shot a certain score and compare it to my score. It is comparing apples and oranges.

wigler
                  lpw

Comment

Originally posted by wigler
                    Depending on the purpose of the game you are playing dictates if dropping the ball is 'ok' or not.

For handicap purposes, if you drop and call it your 4th, or 3rd, odds are you will reach your stroke limit anyway and it will not effect your equitable stroke score. If you happen to hole the 4th for par, or make a bogey, you better mark it as a double, or triple depending on your handicap.

But if you just drop the ball and play it as 4, or 3, don't ever come up to me and say you shot a certain score and compare it to my score. It is comparing apples and oranges.

wigler
                    Hey wigler, welcome to the board...

when i play with my buddies they let me drop...but i am a guy that likes to go by the rules in everything i do whether it's in another sport, board games, card games, anything!!! so from now on, i'm going to follow this rule...

Comment

If you hit your drive OB or close to it & everyone knows it, why not hit a provisional? You're on the tee anyway, right? Thats the way we play. Just a thought.

Cheers!
                      The term "mulligan" is really a contraction of the phrase "maul it again."

A "gimme" can best be defined as an agreement between two golfers...neither of whom can putt very well.

Comment

Originally posted by wigler

wigler
                        Well said...hit it right on the button...
                        Winston Churchill

Comment

Well because I don't take golf too seriously I like to cheat once in awhile, especially when I get frustrated. I'll share one of my tricks:

When your ball is under a tree and can't be shot normally, take your foot and kick the ball to an open area. BTW make sure that no one is looking.

Once I start to take golf more seriously I will stop cheating.....honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by 69_Iron
                            Well because I don't take golf too seriously I like to cheat once in awhile, especially when I get frustrated. I'll share one of my tricks:

When your ball is under a tree and can't be shot normally, take your foot and kick the ball to an open area. BTW make sure that no one is looking.

definitely don't ruin your nice clubs by hitting at the root of a tree...it's not worth it!!! Just move your ball to a open spot closeby instead.

Comment

Originally posted by 69_Iron
                              Cheaters never win.......but in golf...once in awhile, is ok in my playbook

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X