PDA

View Full Version : Competitive amateur Tournaments

collegekid
Mar 4, 2009, 08:08 PM
Hey,

I'm a freshman collegiate player in the US and will be 19 in April of this year. I'm living in Toronto for the summer and looking for the most competitive amateur tournaments within 4 hours or so from Toronto. I've already got the GAO championships, what else is there that has a good reputation for drawing good fields?

Cheers

beeker
Mar 4, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hey,

I'm a freshman collegiate player in the US and will be 19 in April of this year. I'm living in Toronto for the summer and looking for the most competitive amateur tournaments within 4 hours or so from Toronto. I've already got the GAO championships, what else is there that has a good reputation for drawing good fields?

CheersToronto Star Amateur

http://www.greensanddreams.com/TSAmens.htm

Also maybe look into the Great Lakes Tour or the GTA Amateur Tour (formerly the Golf Town Tour)

WILL
Mar 4, 2009, 08:12 PM
Goggle Great Lakes Tour. They have a pro series you can play in and register as an AM. Very solid players.

http://greatlakestour.com/

cobbie_90
Mar 4, 2009, 08:14 PM
i got the same problem as you and im playing gao and cjga also thinking about playin great lakes but dont know what its like another one is the Mjt tour. it goes up to 19

collegekid
Mar 4, 2009, 09:11 PM
This is what I have: (am I missing anything I should have? ) Thanks

US Open Local Qualifier - East Eurora NY
GAO Match Play Q & Tournament
Ontario Amateur Q & Tournament
US Open Sectional Qualifier - Lake Nona, FL - (more than 4 hours lol)
Canadian Amateur
Toronto Star Amateur
Canadian Open Qualifier
any others? how good is the great lakes tour? I'm not really looking to play too many, just the big ones.

BowmanvilleJim
Mar 4, 2009, 09:13 PM
This event has a long illustrious history.

http://www.kawarthagolf.ca/invitational.html

WILL
Mar 4, 2009, 09:20 PM
any others? how good is the great lakes tour? I'm not really looking to play too many, just the big ones.

The top guys on the pro series usually attend PGA tour Q school, if that helps.

collegekid
Mar 4, 2009, 09:22 PM
perfect, thank you very much. Anything else?

cdnputter
Mar 4, 2009, 10:04 PM
+2 on Kawartha, I'll be trying to get into the A Flight this year.... very, very tight field on a first class Stanley Thompson course.

cobbie_90
Mar 4, 2009, 11:05 PM

Canadian Amateur
Toronto Star Amateur
Canadian Open Qualifier

where did you sign up for the canadian amature?? RCGA website?

BowmanvilleJim
Mar 5, 2009, 08:37 AM

Canadian Amateur
Toronto Star Amateur
Canadian Open Qualifier

Too bad you've missed the registration for the TGN Matchplay. There is no bigger event in amateur golf than that (unless you are also on the TGN Ryder Cup Team) ;)

collegekid
Mar 5, 2009, 11:38 AM
Well maybe if I do well enough in my other tournaments (US Open, Canadian Open, Ontario Amateur) then I will get an invite to play on the Ryder Cup Team.

hogannut
Mar 5, 2009, 01:25 PM
Here is the schedule for Great Lakes amatuer:

AMATEUR SERIES

EVENT
DATE

Event #1
Firerock GC
Komoka
Sat. May 9

Event #2 *
Grand Niagara Resort
Niagara Falls
Sun. June 7

Event #3 *
Lockness Links
Welland
Sun. Jun 14

Event #4
Carlisle Golf Club
Mississauga
Sat. June 27

Event #5 *
Royal Ashburn
Ashburn
Sun. July 5

Event #6 *
Hidden Lake GC
Burlington
Sun. July 26

Event #7
TBA

Sat. August 8

Event #8
Mystic Golf Club
Ancaster
Sat. August 22

Event #9 *
Cobble Beach GC
Georgian Bay
Sun. September 13

Event #10
Victoria Park E.
Guelph
Sat. Sept 26

Also....as an amatuer you can play in muni championships at the city courses in Toronto. Many of the top players in the area also play there too.

Bluefan75
Mar 6, 2009, 08:29 AM
I know crunch27 is a member at St. Thomas and their Earlybird tournament is quite the tournament to play from what I understand. I'm hoping to get my game up to a level to earn an invitation in a few years. I have no idea how you get invited, I just know that a)the trophy has Warren Sye and Bill Seagris' names on it several times, and b)out of the bunch of guys who could play with Seagris at my old club, he was the only one I ever knew of getting an invitation.

Perhaps crunch can elaborate more for us, but you need to have some serious game to be invited from my understanding.

Leftyhacker
Mar 10, 2009, 10:28 AM
Hey Blue -

Early Bird is not really a true invitational anymore.... if you call the proshop and let them know you are interested, you can sign up if there are openings after 'returning players' have first crack.

I think the flight system was made a little more difficult last year with a couple fewer flights than years past. Always a pretty good field for this area, but there is room for 10+ guys as well

Lefty

Bluefan75
Mar 10, 2009, 10:45 AM
Hey Blue -

Early Bird is not really a true invitational anymore.... if you call the proshop and let them know you are interested, you can sign up if there are openings after 'returning players' have first crack.

I think the flight system was made a little more difficult last year with a couple fewer flights than years past. Always a pretty good field for this area, but there is room for 10+ guys as well

Lefty

Thanks Lefty. I better give it a season of getting things back before I even try that. Unfortunately I'm still at the point where a blow up round can occur. Have to get those under control a little first.