PDA

View Full Version : Golf: What makes this game so addictive?

stew962
Mar 5, 2009, 10:13 AM
What is it about this game that makes it so darn addictive? I'm interested to hear what you all think is the reasons why you've become completely engrossed in this wonderful game? The equipment, friendships, the serenity of just being out on the course, the feeling of hitting the perfect shot?

What is it that makes us all addicts?

compugeek
Mar 5, 2009, 10:28 AM
The competition between/against:$ yourself and the course. It's never ending.

goshawk
Mar 5, 2009, 10:31 AM
For me, it's a combination of lots of things.
On the days I play alone, it's the serenity of being in a peaceful setting with no one to answer to but that damned white sphere.
It's also the challenge of hitting the exact shot that you envision.
It's also the frustration of KNOWING that I can hit that shot, but for whichever of numerous causes it just doesn't happen that particular time.
It's also the feeling of pulling off that one shot that's risky but very rewarding.
It's also the joy of being able to pass along my acquired knowledge and experience to, in particular, truly novice golfers and watch them improve over time.

Plus, I get to swing and hit something on purpose and no one gets angry! ;)

MannyR
Mar 5, 2009, 10:36 AM
No matter how well you play and what score you shoot, you can always be better.

It can be the best of times or the worst of times from one shot to the next.

It is also a game where miracles can happen.

landlord
Mar 5, 2009, 11:04 AM
I just like to spoil a good walk.

cobbie_90
Mar 5, 2009, 11:47 AM
I love the walk and love how you can put all your angry into that little white ball

crunch27
Mar 5, 2009, 12:31 PM
It's all about friendships on and off the course.

This year marks our 32nd annual golf trip.....away with the boys.

We, of course, play for a trophy engraved with the words "THE MATCH, a competition between four cordial gentlemen" complete with yearly engraved dates showing our destinations. We usually travel to Michigan every summer for 3 or 4 days, but every 5 years we plan a big trip for a week that usually involves flying somewhere. We have been to Myrtle Beach twice, Hilton Head, Kiawah Island, Scottsdale and Mesquite. Now that we are all in our mid 50's, we feel that we do not have that many trips left in our bodies. Too many places to go...so little time.

We started off by putting a few dollars ($20/ month) into a separate bank account and now it is up to $50/ month. I think after our last big trip we still had a substantial amount in our account, so we are thinking that we should plan a big trip every 3 years. :rolleyes:

It's a great game, isn't it?

setter02
Mar 5, 2009, 05:18 PM
It's all about friendships on and off the course.

This year marks our 32nd annual golf trip.....away with the boys.

We, of course, play for a trophy engraved with the words "THE MATCH, a competition between four cordial gentlemen" complete with yearly engraved dates showing our destinations. We usually travel to Michigan every summer for 3 or 4 days, but every 5 years we plan a big trip for a week that usually involves flying somewhere. We have been to Myrtle Beach twice, Hilton Head, Kiawah Island, Scottsdale and Mesquite. Now that we are all in our mid 50's, we feel that we do not have that many trips left in our bodies. Too many places to go...so little time.

We started off by putting a few dollars ($20/ month) into a separate bank account and now it is up to $50/ month. I think after our last big trip we still had a substantial amount in our account, so we are thinking that we should plan a big trip every 3 years. :rolleyes:

It's a great game, isn't it?

Go for a be all end all trip, take a month off and tour the British Isle!

Leftygolfer30
Mar 5, 2009, 05:20 PM
I blame it on the drugs :D

setter02
Mar 5, 2009, 05:30 PM
I blame it on the drugs :D

I thought heard a rumor about balls really being made out cocaine... It was the latest thing those South Americans have come up with to ship their product North:shhh:

mcgsxr
Mar 5, 2009, 08:08 PM
As a new player to the game (this will be my second year owning clubs, 39 this year), I find it comes down to these:

1 - The people I meet, and play with. I have met some great folks off this forum in only 10 months too.
2 - That feeling when you clip one just right - with any club, at any time.
3 - The gear - I am an audio geek, and love having another outlet for my research and pursuit of cool kit!

Onin3
Mar 5, 2009, 11:47 PM
Funny you guys would say that. I played with a Psychologist once at Emerald Hills, he is a member there. Somewhere along the line we were talking about how Golf was so overpowering ect. He told me he recommended Golf to his patients who were struggling with drug and or alcohol addiction as a result of compulsive behavior patterns.
Golf clearly in his professional opinion was a perfect pastime for compulsive obsessives personalities, and for the most part a healthy alternative for functioning drug addicts and alcoholics.

Alice Cooper quit drinking to Golf, and he is quite good at it apperantly almost as good as he was at drinking.

RB

Leftygolfer30
Mar 5, 2009, 11:57 PM
Funny you guys would say that. I played with a Psychologist once at Emerald Hills, he is a member there. Somewhere along the line we were talking about how Golf was so overpowering ect. He told me he recommended Golf to his patients who were struggling with drug and or alcohol addiction as a result of compulsive behavior patterns.
Golf clearly in his professional opinion was a perfect pastime for compulsive obsessives personalities, and for the most part a healthy alternative for functioning drug addicts and alcoholics.

Alice Cooper quit drinking to Golf, and he is quite good at it apperantly almost as good as he was at drinking.

RB

If that were true he'd be on the Senior PGA Tour by now! :D

Fantasy09
Mar 6, 2009, 12:00 AM
Because you are shooting for the hole all the time. Isn't that what men are looking for?:hyper:

crunch27
Mar 6, 2009, 06:31 AM

RB

Yaaaah.....from addiction to another. :rofl:

JEBS
Mar 6, 2009, 08:22 AM
Subliminal messages broadcast on the golf channel and forums like this... oh no I have said too much...

goshawk
Mar 6, 2009, 08:27 AM
If that were true he'd be on the Senior PGA Tour by now! :DHave you watched him play? There was some show on TGC last year looking at "celebrity" golfers, and he was one of them highlighted as an accomplished golfer. Apparently, he plays to a 3 or 4 hdcp....not too shabby in my books.

jnj37
Mar 6, 2009, 08:44 AM
Oh, Crunch27. You're "in your mid-fifties and you don't feel you have many trips left? So little time left" Hell, I have underwear older than you. I'm a septuagenarian, make at least four major golf trips a year, maintain an 8.2 index, and my golf (really) has never been better. Age has nothing to do with it - it all comes down to attitude, a relatively healthy life style, working on your game, and of course, rectangular green dollars. Your best golfing days are ahead of you!

burkie08
Mar 6, 2009, 08:52 AM
For me it's a lot of things

Going out for a few hours onto a beautiful peace of land and enjoying the outdoors, nature, and spending time with good friends and sometimes meeting future friends.

The competition between yourself and the course.

No two games are the same. You can play the same course back to back and you will never see the exact same shot. You are always faced with a different challenge.

There is ALWAYS room for improvement. No matter how well you play, there is always something you can approve upon and be better at.

Bellyhungry
Mar 6, 2009, 09:02 AM
For me, golf represents hope.

Hope that my next drive will be the monster drive
Hope that my next tee shot would be the hole in one that I deserve ;)
Hope that after 4 hours, my mental well being is restored
Hope that this would be the low career round at the first tee
Hope that my swing mechanics finally pays off

dekker
Mar 6, 2009, 09:06 AM
Have you watched him play? There was some show on TGC last year looking at "celebrity" golfers, and he was one of them highlighted as an accomplished golfer. Apparently, he plays to a 3 or 4 hdcp....not too shabby in my books.

I loved that Callaway commercial with him and his wife sitting on the couch. There more to this guy than you'd suspect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMbSeI3Colo&feature=related

nearace
Mar 6, 2009, 04:35 PM
I just play to get out of the house:eek:

blade_runner
Mar 8, 2009, 04:32 PM
It's when you know you're gonna shoot low....and you do....once or twice, but most of the time you go home knowing you could've done better if only you played smarter. And so, you promise to be smart next time, only to have your ego get the better of you and come so tantalizingly close to that career round...if only...:rofl:

crunch27
Mar 8, 2009, 06:33 PM
Oh, Crunch27. You're "in your mid-fifties and you don't feel you have many trips left? So little time left" Hell, I have underwear older than you. I'm a septuagenarian, make at least four major golf trips a year, maintain an 8.2 index, and my golf (really) has never been better. Age has nothing to do with it - it all comes down to attitude, a relatively healthy life style, working on your game, and of course, rectangular green dollars. Your best golfing days are ahead of you!

Don't worry jnj, I plan on being around for another 35 years or more. That equates to 10 (or 12) more major trips. :rofl:

Likes The Links
Mar 8, 2009, 07:00 PM
For me its challenge of the game, the total relaxation of the times I play alone and the thrill of executing the shot you had anticipated. Meeting plenty of great people as well make the game very pleasurable however its the challenge that makes it addictive to me.