PDA

View Full Version : Would you travel with Clubs for 1 round.....

Anthony
Mar 6, 2009, 12:02 PM
am going south to a resort with a course 5 minutes from the property. Looks average at very best and probably can play for a decent price. They have rentals, though what I have read they may be terrible. Weather will be very hot. I know Golf Nuts would take their clubs and will always be ready but wondering whether I should bother or just pack a dozen balls and some tees and if I decide to play I do otherwise no?

What would you do?

P25
Mar 6, 2009, 12:04 PM
I always take mine if I'm planning to play

Anthony
Mar 6, 2009, 12:22 PM
I always take mine if I'm planning to play

I figured this was a stacked question..... I just don't feel like lugging the bag, worrying about them being lost (very small chance) to play a course that looks to be 2.5 stars at best. If golf green fees were included I'd have them, but just not worth it for me.

burkie08
Mar 6, 2009, 12:23 PM
If I were driving to the southern States I would definitely always take the clubs.

But if I were flying somewhere I would have to think about the options. If it is "just in case" you play then i wouldnt likely take them. not worth the extra charges and the posibility of them getting lost or damaged

Leftygolfer30
Mar 6, 2009, 12:31 PM
If it was one roune, I'd take an older back up set :D

Anthony
Mar 6, 2009, 12:41 PM
If it was one roune, I'd take an older back up set :D

Good Idea, maybe pack the old set, 7 clubs and a carry bag....

cobbie_90
Mar 6, 2009, 12:41 PM
i wouldnt even take a set .... id just use the ones the course has ... there crap but your only playin one round

goshawk
Mar 6, 2009, 12:45 PM
Why not call the course and find out exactly what their rentals are?

2muchclub
Mar 6, 2009, 12:50 PM
If you were also planning to practice before the round, track your score with fr/gr/putts and set expectations to play well, then pack your sticks.

But if you're just looking to break the monotony of eat, drink, pool, eat, drink, beach for a few hours, don't bother.

MannyR
Mar 6, 2009, 12:51 PM
Take your clubs.

Bellyhungry
Mar 6, 2009, 01:08 PM
For one round, I'd never bring my clubs.

MannyR
Mar 6, 2009, 01:14 PM
For one round, I'd never bring my clubs.
I've flown out to Calgary on many occasions to mix business and a round of golf.

Have never hesitated to do so...if I'm going to play a challenging course (like Stewart Creek or Sirocco) I want to do so with my clubs, not a set of rentals.

Anthony
Mar 6, 2009, 02:12 PM
I've flown out to Calgary on many occasions to mix business and a round of golf.

Have never hesitated to do so...if I'm going to play a challenging course (like Stewart Creek or Sirocco) I want to do so with my clubs, not a set of rentals.

I've seen pics of the golf course and it is not going to make Golf Digest's "Places to Play".....:D

I think I'll take just some balls....;)

Kona Golf
Mar 6, 2009, 02:25 PM
I've seen pics of the golf course and it is not going to make Golf Digest's "Places to Play".....:D

And shoes!

LowPost42
Mar 6, 2009, 02:37 PM
For me it would boil down to:

Am I sure I'm only playing one round? If yes, then it's a simple matter of does it cost more to bring my clubs (ie is the airline charging me) versus how much for rentals and what am I likely to get?

If it's cheaper to rent but I'm getting 1960's blades, forget it. If I'll be playing something no older than 10 years, I'll leave my sticks at home for only one round.

Bwadd
Mar 6, 2009, 02:41 PM
I always take my clubs.... once I took them for 2 rounds and only played once because it was hotter than hell, and the second time I only played once because I drank too much.... LOL :D

MannyR
Mar 6, 2009, 04:29 PM

Not sure which of the courses you are referring but I suspect the photos don't do them justice...both are very good and very different.

In the end it's your decision but why play with clubs you may not like?

mp32
Mar 6, 2009, 04:58 PM
Why don't you take 4 or 5 clubs and a range bag?
It'll give you the opportunity to improve your feel for the course. Try hitting a 7 iron 95 yards, it will improve your ability to think around the course.
;)

tywl
Mar 6, 2009, 05:14 PM
am going south to a resort with a course 5 minutes from the property. Looks average at very best and probably can play for a decent price. They have rentals, though what I have read they may be terrible. Weather will be very hot. I know Golf Nuts would take their clubs and will always be ready but wondering whether I should bother or just pack a dozen balls and some tees and if I decide to play I do otherwise no?

What would you do?

Yes I would as my kids are old enough to walk and carry their own bags and luggage around the airport and hotel etc...but no, if the kids were very young and you had to help with all the other stuff...and a definite no if there are babies involved...rent and score some points with the better half for not bringing your clubs...

WILL
Mar 6, 2009, 05:20 PM
I'd bring my clubs. Rentals would just disappoint me.

nearace
Mar 6, 2009, 05:54 PM
for 1 round of golf leave the sticks home.

laps
Mar 6, 2009, 06:08 PM
No I wouldn't. if its a nice course they are likely to have good rentals. If the course isn't great then its not worth hauling the clubs for one round. So either I would not bring my clubs for one round.

MannyR
Mar 6, 2009, 06:42 PM
Wow...you guys make it sound like taking the clubs is a real pain in the a**.

If you fly Air Canada...absolutely no problem...don't know about Westjet or the other airlines.

Bwadd
Mar 6, 2009, 07:28 PM
We flew with Skyservice both times and no problems at all, plus both resorts had staff bring us our luggage to the room, and when I played they would come pick them up at my door and take them to the taxi...

Only problem I have is how the baggage people at pearson deal with the bags..... I was waiting at the over sized baggage dept to get my clubs and I could here this noise of stuff banging up against the side of the carousel, so I peeked my head through the plastic flap things to find some jacka** throwing all the bags.. so I yelled at him to take more care of the bags, which he did... and then I reported his a** to his manager who happend to be walking around.... Idiots!

Big Shooter
Mar 6, 2009, 09:19 PM
Yes, take your clubs & pack your clothes in the Golf Bag...PROBLEM SOLVED! :)

laps
Mar 7, 2009, 08:15 AM
Wow...you guys make it sound like taking the clubs is a real pain in the a**.

If you fly Air Canada...absolutely no problem...don't know about Westjet or the other airlines.

I went to Florida a few weeks ago and took my clubs. On the way back, I had to wait one hour for my clubs after the rest of the luggage had arrived. Had I not brought my clubs I would have gotten away with carry-on. For three rounds of golf it was worth it to bring my clubs, but the fact of the matter is with Air Canada you are always risking losing your luggage, so its a risk:reward decision.

MannyR
Mar 7, 2009, 09:09 AM
I went to Florida a few weeks ago and took my clubs. On the way back, I had to wait one hour for my clubs after the rest of the luggage had arrived. Had I not brought my clubs I would have gotten away with carry-on. For three rounds of golf it was worth it to bring my clubs, but the fact of the matter is with Air Canada you are always risking losing your luggage, so its a risk:reward decision.
You risk losing luggage with any airline.

More important where and how did you play?

sharkhark
Mar 7, 2009, 11:58 AM
no. risk breakage, risk loss, extra fees alot of time, just plain hassle. the rental fee will likely be less than possible extra fees or fuss. plus most courses have elevated these days to really nice stuff and it can be fun trying it out. unless you are really inconsistent with swing then trying out a different oem is not going to affect things much, if at all. maybe better, we all swing well with new clubs...for a little while right;)