/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Sending people off back nine--Yay or Nay?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending people off back nine--Yay or Nay?

There was a recent thread that linked me to another one, and a post elsewhere reminded me about the topic.

Anyway, what was posted here was a guy who worked at a course, who ripped on people who tee off early, play "too fast" on the front, and complain about people being sent off the back nine and running up to them. His thought was that they were faster than their expected time, so tough luck.

I would argue that I don't get up super early to tee off first to run into people and have them hold things up. That if I wanted people in front of me, I would have booked an 8:30 tee time.

I guess I'm just really jonesing for the courses to open, and coming up with just about anything, but what are your guys' thoughts on that?

Re: Sending people off back nine--Yay or Nay?

He must be playing awfully fast or the course is really pushing the times they are letting people off the back9.

This seems like something that shouldn't happen though. If I play a sunrise 9 off the back, it generally means I am myself tight for time, so I am probably playing quick as I can.

Originally posted by Bluefan75
    There was a recent thread that linked me to another one, and a post elsewhere reminded me about the topic.

Anyway, what was posted here was a guy who worked at a course, who ripped on people who tee off early, play "too fast" on the front, and complain about people being sent off the back nine and running up to them. His thought was that they were faster than their expected time, so tough luck.

I would argue that I don't get up super early to tee off first to run into people and have them hold things up. That if I wanted people in front of me, I would have booked an 8:30 tee time.

I guess I'm just really jonesing for the courses to open, and coming up with just about anything, but what are your guys' thoughts on that?
    In The Bag
    Wishon 919THI (11), Accra XT60
    Titleist 909F3 (15.5), Adila VooDoo Stiff
    Titleist 909H3 (19 & 21 deg), Adila VooDoo Stiff
    Nike Blades 4-PW, KBS Tour Shafts
    Wishon CX Micro Satin, 52,60, TT Dynalite Shafts
    Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
    Titleist ProV1

Comment

I agree with you Blue, if I have dragged my sorry carcus out of bed to make that first tee time, other than the course maintenance and greenskeeper, I don't want to see anyone! Usually if I have booked that time I am doing it becauseI have a limited time to get my round in and know that if I try to push it I won't be able to complete my round!

just my .02

Q
      In My Sun Mountain FOUR5 or ClicGear B3

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 60 X 125MSI
      3 Wood: Titleist 913FD
      Hybrid: Titleist 913 HD 20* & 23* Diamana White X
      Irons: Taylor Made PSI 5- PW
      Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 52*, 56*, 60*
      Putter: Scotty Futura X7
      Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt

Comment

Originally posted by Qball
        I agree with you Blue, if I have dragged my sorry carcus out of bed to make that first tee time, other than the course maintenance and greenskeeper, I don't want to see anyone! Usually if I have booked that time I am doing it becauseI have a limited time to get my round in and know that if I try to push it I won't be able to complete my round!

just my .02

Q
        It is pruely an economic issue with the clubs. The faster they can fill the golf course the more people it holds over the course of the day.

Personally, I hate it. I have always waited on the turn no matter when I tee off and I literally get teed off.

Comment

I don't like it if I have to wait at the turn, but I understand why golf courses do it, and won't lose sleep over it.

Comment

If its me - YES
            If its other people - NO
            And six months ago, when Doug introduced me to you guys, I thought, "Wait a second, could it be?"
            And now I know for sure, I just added two more guys to my wolf pack.
            Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas, looking for strippers and cocaine.
            So tonight, I make a toast!

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry
              I don't like it if I have to wait at the turn, but I understand why golf courses do it, and won't lose sleep over it.
              *** +1
              Cheers,
              Richard.

Comment

Last year at Legends in Myrtle, we booked our getaway round early so we could play and fly out. When we arrived at the proshop we were told there was a crossover. My friend and I aren't wickedly fast players but I guess with a cart early in the morning we can pick it up. We got to number seven and decided to see how far back we could go before we came close to anyone behind us. We went back three holes where we still had a hole in between and replayed them. We went and played 8 and 9 twice. When we got to number ten we were still the third group in line! I think we played two holes got in our 18...sort of...then decided to go catch our flight.

It was a little infuriating for a Sunday morning at a resort course to do that especially when it seemed they hadn't filled up the front nine. If it happens again and I see no one right behind us on the first tee, I will go 1,1 2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5,6,6......

bobby

Comment

I'm OK with it as long as they have some idea on if I'm gonna be held up. Like has been said, if I'm out stupid early already, I expect to speed around.

The only other caveat is that, if I understand the rules correctly, starting on the back 9 means you aren't playing a 'stipulated round'.
                  Everybody wants a slice of winner - dekker

Comment

Originally posted by LowPost42
                    I'm OK with it as long as they have some idea on if I'm gonna be held up. Like has been said, if I'm out stupid early already, I expect to speed around.

The only other caveat is that, if I understand the rules correctly, starting on the back 9 means you aren't playing a 'stipulated round'.
                    I'm no rules official but I don't see how that would be true. PGA tournaments routinely have groups tee off 1 and 10 all the time. I'm pretty sure the first two rounds of most tournaments is done this way.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                    TM SLDR 10.5*
                    TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
                    TM Rescue 22*
                    4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
                    Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
                    Ping Ketch
                    Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30
                      I'm no rules official but I don't see how that would be true. PGA tournaments routinely have groups tee off 1 and 10 all the time. I'm pretty sure the first two rounds of most tournaments is done this way.
                      Yep, they do that all the time. Especially useful when bad weather comes and they for the most part get around without big backlogs.
                      ps speaking of bad weather...make sure you batten down the hatches tomorrow...50km/hr winds..
                      PING CAMO BAG...
                      WEAPONS...
                      SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                      3W TM M2
                      HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
                      5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                      LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
                      3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

Your looking for things to complain about already?
                        I understand there will be people out there in 2009 playing some of them will be within your eyesight.

Originally posted by Bluefan75

Comment

Originally posted by rbaker
                          Your looking for things to complain about already?
                          I understand there will be people out there in 2009 playing some of them will be within your eyesight.
                          LOL....actually, it's part of the reason I won't go back to Tarandowah, based on what happened last year(had the early tee time, zipped around the front, only to find out afterwards that the Mulligan tour was using split tees...I only had to wait for four more groups to tee off and I would have been ok!!.... )

I just saw a link to a thread where a kid made the comment a person was out of line to complain about that since "they played too fast".

And I have no problem with other people being on the course. If I make a tee time besides the first one, I expect there to be people in front. But I make the first one to avoid that exact situation, and don't like being surprised halfway through that that is no longer the case.

plus the first tee time allows me to walk and not have to complain about the marshals getting on my a$$ to try to get me to rent a cart next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30
                            I thought about that but PGA Tournaments also employ the 1 ball rule and lift clean and cheat through the course.

The definition is as follows:

The "stipulated round" consists of playing the holes of the course in their correct sequence unless otherwise authorised by the Committee.

I guess on the Tour the Committee authorises back 9 starts.
                            Everybody wants a slice of winner - dekker

Comment

Happened to me at Glen Cedars years ago, 90 minutes to play the front, get to the 10th tee and somehow were the 10th group in line.
                              3+ hours plus to play the back.
                              Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                              Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                              Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
                              Ping G400 4H - 22*
                              Ping G400 5 - UW
                              Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                              Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
                              Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
                              Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X