PDA

View Full Version : Age start golfing

carsonl92
Mar 10, 2009, 09:27 PM
Age you started to golf and why

I started at 6 because i always see my dad going and wanted to go with him
He took me to a range and i fell in love with the game until the point where I beat him for the first time last year :p

chrisw
Mar 10, 2009, 09:37 PM
i probably went to the range a couple times when i was like 9 or 10 but really didnt get a set of clubs and play alot untill about 11.. but when u start doesnt really mean much just because u start early doesnt neccessarily mean your going to be good.

FOREman
Mar 10, 2009, 09:50 PM
I started at the age of 22, my first course was Scarlett Woods got introduced to the game by a buddy of mine, played that one time and got hooked.

cobbie_90
Mar 10, 2009, 10:05 PM
started when i was 14 ... went out with a couple hockey buddys ..playing in a best ball tournament dropped a bomb from about 40 feet .. loved it ever since ..no better feeling

setter02
Mar 10, 2009, 10:48 PM
My grandma got me started when I was around 5. Best deal ever to get a kid started in golf. Cedarhurst outside Beaverton had a deal where for $2, you got an hour with the pro on the range, and then played 2 holes. Was in groups of like 10-15 kids, best way to spend a summer!

davevandyk
Mar 11, 2009, 07:25 AM
started when I was 13 and have been slicing it ever since!

jerms
Mar 11, 2009, 07:29 AM
Started at 20.
First course was Brookside.

They had the best clubhouse...Half a hangar!!!

LowPost42
Mar 11, 2009, 07:59 AM
I took the hard road - started at 27. Nothing like trying to learn a sport with your entire brain to get in the way.

compugeek
Mar 11, 2009, 08:01 AM
3 years old for me but was already playing alot of stick and ball sports.

mcgsxr
Mar 11, 2009, 08:05 AM
I bought my first set of clubs last year, at 38. I had played about 10 rounds in my life before that. One perfect 5 iron hit, and I was IN!

I play in corporate scrambles weekly throughout the summer - well, at least I did last year, we will see how much we sponsor this year, with all the talk of the economy etc.

compugeek
Mar 11, 2009, 08:09 AM
I bought my first set of clubs last year, at 38. I had played about 10 rounds in my life before that. One perfect 5 iron hit, and I was IN!

I play in corporate scrambles weekly throughout the summer - well, at least I did last year, we will see how much we sponsor this year, with all the talk of the economy etc.

Hey mcgsxr, if you wouldn't mind you should post the results of the recession when corporate golf is concerned on a new thread this summer. It would be really interesting to see how many events as compared to last year your company sponsors etc...

By the way, do you happen to own a Suzuki GSXR?

cldale
Mar 11, 2009, 09:27 AM
I have a double answer:

I played when I was quite young and then a teenager, played a 9pc set of old golden bear blades. Nobody ever gave me a lesson or advice... just content to hack it around.

I stopped playing around 15yrs old, and then picked it up again when I was 29, pretty much from scratch had to relearn everything.

So I consider myself new (only playing for 2.5 years) although I guess I didn't start completely ignorant of how to swing a club (at least, I didn't THINK I did, turns out once I took lessons, I did start out pretty ignorant)

Tyger
Mar 11, 2009, 10:21 AM
Started in 2004, was 23 at the time.

Lefty17
Mar 11, 2009, 10:24 AM
I started going to the driving range when I was 15ish. Never took an interest to it just liked hitting it far.

Took it more serious at 18. Started playing professionally at 20.

crazyballa9999
Mar 11, 2009, 02:02 PM
I was taught the game as a kid but golf for the first time last year...its the most amazing game. I am in great shape and I was able to shoot in my mid 90s my first year...now Im hoping the improvements continue

Greywolf
Mar 11, 2009, 03:19 PM
I started playing in my last year of high school, why? ... simply because some of my friends wanted to play.

Leftygolfer30
Mar 11, 2009, 03:22 PM
3 years old for me but was already playing alot of stick and ball sports.

What organized sports were you playing at the age of two?

Cybergolfer
Mar 11, 2009, 04:38 PM
3 years old for me but was already playing alot of stick and ball sports.:werd:

Maverickping
Mar 11, 2009, 05:30 PM
I was pretty close to 44 (Sept.1999) and after a conference call with my knee surgeons they told me there was only one place left for me where I would find others like myself that used to play sports.
Being a wise keaster I told them it must be the bar as there is always a seat at the bar for an x-hockey player, they said no; go and play golf, you will be happy.

Couldn't agree more... just wish I had of gotten into it when our family had memberships at Markland and the Board of Trade. My brothers and I thought golf was for old people or sissies not hockey players.
Talk about foolish now :)

Rick

Big Shooter
Mar 11, 2009, 08:21 PM
Age you started to golf and why

< less than
> greater than ;)

nearace
Mar 11, 2009, 09:25 PM
I was around 16 when my uncles started to drag me out for a round,the first place was big john evelyns,I think it is bushwood now?I still remember being picked up at 5am and teeing off in the dark.

sct99
Mar 11, 2009, 09:44 PM
Started 1.5 yrs ago (I'm 38 now) because I didn't want to start learning how to play golf when I was retired. Rather suck now and enjoy it when I'm older than get irritated later. Need something to do other than watch tv :p when I'm old....

tk1360
Mar 12, 2009, 03:29 PM
I took it up right at the end of the 07 season (just turning 23). Got lessons and went to the range religiously all winter and played my first round just about a year ago (Parkshore :D). Since then I am totally hooked and haven't really gone more than a week without at least hitting some balls.

I originally got into it as most of my relatives play as well as I started to organize a charity tourny and figured I at least wanted to enjoy some of the work put into it.

johnthegolfer
Mar 12, 2009, 06:17 PM
started at around age 6 at a 9-hole pitch & putt in a park near home - most holes around 50 yards. Had a 4 iron and 1 iron (used as putter). Some days would play the nine holes 10-12 times before mum would drag me home (remember those days when a 6 year old could be out on his own all day! Now my wife drags me home from the course, courtesy of the cell phone!).

sennawcf1
Mar 12, 2009, 10:43 PM
I was 33 years old and I moved to Bermuda for work. All the Brits and Americans were playing golf. They invited me and I have been hooked ever since :)

rpangman
Mar 12, 2009, 11:11 PM
I was 33. I went with a friend just to keep him company on a Sunday morning and was instantly hooked.

gatsby
Mar 12, 2009, 11:23 PM
I was 25 and just out of the army. My brother in law introduced me to the game and I never looked back. 35 years this year. Loved it from the start and wished for many years that I had started earlier. But I have time in now and look forward to many more. :)

Forgy23
Mar 18, 2009, 07:59 AM
Started when I was 13, 22 years ago now :( , have both of my boys golfing since they were 4 years old. It's a great game to teach the younger kids patience and etiquette that translates into everyday life as well.

Desi2007
Mar 20, 2009, 03:51 PM
Started around age 35

northernpro
Mar 20, 2009, 05:02 PM
no set age..its all about respect..respect the rules,repect your
opponent,repect the course..etc

golfmama
Mar 23, 2009, 08:37 PM
i started late in life. but my grand daughter is only 2 and her grampa has already bought her a set of clubs. she loves her set. its a real set, made for a tiny princess. i bet she is going to be really good when she grows up after all, she has rmunding to teach her.

sellis
Mar 23, 2009, 09:35 PM
Age 7 for me.

mstram
Mar 23, 2009, 10:30 PM
I started swinging a club / hitting balls around the local schoolyard with a 7 iron from my Dad's set of clubs. A bunch of us would play from one track&field "jumping pit" to another.

Didn't get on a golf course till I was 17 though (Humber Valley). First broke 100 there (I think ... can't really remember).

Worked in the backshop at a private course in the summer between grade 12 /13 (when grade 13 still existed :D), got down to mid/ low 80's. Then over the next 5 years worked at another course getting down to 2 hdcp at one point.

Then I started working in I.T. and went from playing everyday to 3-4 times a month, and consequently hdcp to ~6. (Still used to go to the range a lot)

I haven't played much the last few years, but I'm thinking this season I'd like to get back into the game.

Mike