PDA

View Full Version : does you HDCP reflect your true abilities?

focal
Jun 23, 2009, 10:31 AM
a lot of guys here track their handicaps officially with the GAO/RCGA software and some use unofficial tracking sites.

obviously, your index is supposed to accurately reflect what your scoring potential should be on a good day.

do you find you can shoot your number or close to it at a new course? how about a course you've played before?

if you're a member at a course and play a large majority of your rounds at a home course, do you find you have a hard time at something 'new' or 'different style' (parkland to links-like)?

how often do you shoot better than your HDCP?

do you have a stable index that takes a spike at the beginning of the season and steadily drops over the summer as you "warm up" so to speak?

are you a player that has a few breakout rounds that skew your index? or a bunch of steady rounds?

Nemo Dat
Jun 23, 2009, 11:43 AM
I find my scores fairly consistent, regardless of whether I've played the course. I lose my strokes just by not getting up and down, which I can and can't do at any course, regardless of whether I've played it.

Out of eight rounds this year, I've beaten my index twice. Most of my rounds are about a stroke higher than my index.

Richd
Jun 23, 2009, 11:51 AM
I always think i'm much better than my index(12-14).....i can drive long ...my irons are solid most of the time..my short game is decent...im finally putting decently yet at the end of the day im still a mid 80's to low 90's player.

Section ThirtyOne
Jun 23, 2009, 12:18 PM
I know I am much better than my current index would have you believe.

Unfortunately, my scores have exploded while grooving a new swing plane. It's much flatter than the old one, and will pay dividends in the long run. No pain, no gain I figure.

Typically though, I would shoot around my cap with the occasional low low round where everything comes together. I shot 77 at my old home course last year (par 70) while carrying a 15 handicap.

JR59
Jun 23, 2009, 01:09 PM
I tend to be pretty inconsistent, especially with my driver. This leads to a lot of variation in my scores. When I keep the driver in play the entire round I'm usually low 80s and feel as though I've left a few strokes out on the course. When I'm fighting the driver all day I struggle to break 90, sometimes getting as high as 95-97.

At the end of the day though my factor is just a shade over 10. I always feel if I can ever find serious consistency with my driver I could easily get below an 8.

I'd say it accurately reflects my potential but at the same time I can easily go 5 or 6 rounds without even getting near my cap.

The Troll
Jun 23, 2009, 03:14 PM
I know I am much better than my current index would have you believe.

Unfortunately, my scores have exploded while grooving a new swing plane.

Like you, I blew my swing up on purpose this year in order to get better. It's actually coming along nicely. My current hdcp is higher than it should be but not as high as it would be had I put my horrific rounds on.

I have more trouble scoring at my course than at other courses. Very slightly out of position and it is bogey time. Our slope is stupid low and in spite of a lower hdcp due to the slope my hdcp travels well.

landlord
Jun 23, 2009, 03:51 PM
I play to my hcp maybe once in 10 tries, and a new course is certain death for me.

So far this year, I am the guy for whom ESC was invented. :rolleyes:

Gordie
Jun 23, 2009, 04:06 PM
For me it's pretty close. This year, I've been a few shots over my HDCP and it's gone from a 8.3 to a 9.1. Like someone said earlier, course does not seem to matter. If I play to the 150 marker and keep the ball in play off the tee, the score depends on short game and putting. If I'm doing that well, I usually end up a shot or 2 around my HDCP. One thing I am finding out, is that as it gets lower, it's difficult to keep it there or get it lower. You really have to be consistant.

Hombre Lefty
Jun 23, 2009, 05:57 PM
I find that my handicap is indicative of what I can shoot maybe the best 20% of the time. So 80% of the time I shoot worse than my handicap. Which is as it should be, that's what caps are for, to make it so you have to shoot your best to be net under par. Some people think your handicap's supposed to be what you shoot "most of the time" but that's only true if you shoot the same score every day like clockwork. Right now I play off a 5.8 and I'm just as likely to shoot 90 as I am to shoot 75

chrisw
Jun 23, 2009, 06:55 PM
i would say my handicap is lying right now as iam playing well... my last 12 rounds have been anywhere from 73-80 right now i feeling like im playing lower then my handicap... it is dropping pretty quick tho! which ive pretty happy about.... i still gotta break that barrier from being a 6-8 handicap to going down to a 2-3 its very! hard to do...

WILL
Jun 23, 2009, 08:27 PM
I think mine is still kinda low.

Cap is at 2.4 because I carded a 68 once this year but just tonight carded my second under par round of the year. Only a couple 72's and a bunch of 74 - 76 ish type junk.

At least with 25 er so rounds in the 0.8 cap is gone though. :hush:

Matt MacKay
Jun 24, 2009, 04:50 AM
Interesting to read that most people feel they only occassionally play to their handicap. That's good, because your Handicap Factor (Index is what the USGA calls it) is a reflection of your potential ability. Because your Factor is based upon your best differentials from a set of scores (best 10 of 20, if you have at least 20 rounds posted) it is reflecting your best golf played.

Statistically, you should play to your handicap about 1 in 4 rounds. To play to your handicap means your score minus the Course Rating would be equal your Course Handicap (CH = Factor X Slope, divided by 113, round to whole number). I sometimes refer to this as a 'Target Score'.

Hombre Lefty
Jun 24, 2009, 01:29 PM
i also find it has a lot to do with the individual course too. For example two courses might be rated equally hard but for whatever reason you might just hate one and love the other. I notice that when you look at not just scores but the acctual differential, and see the top 10 of 20 rounds used to calculate, it's sometimes surprising in that it wasn't the rounds you thought were your best ones... for me it always seems to be the same courses that show up as the good rounds. Call me crazy, but my best differentials always seem to come on Carrick designed courses...

AlfaGolfer
Jun 24, 2009, 01:32 PM
Courses with higher slope and ratings bring your differential down. If you're playing on Carrick courses from long tee blocks, this may be the case. Also, if you have a blow up hole or two, once you apply ESC, these blow-ups are mitigated which can also contribute to how your differentials are being calculated.

SW20 MR2
Jun 24, 2009, 01:36 PM
I'm about a 19, and I'm generally shooting 95-100. My putting is getting better, but still nowhere near respectable (still generally around 40 putts per round). I figure I can shave about 3-5 strokes easily off my average scores from putting alone. I just can't stand practicing putting! :)

Hombre Lefty
Jun 24, 2009, 01:54 PM
Courses with higher slope and ratings bring your differential down. If you're playing on Carrick courses from long tee blocks, this may be the case. Also, if you have a blow up hole or two, once you apply ESC, these blow-ups are mitigated which can also contribute to how your differentials are being calculated.

i think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was talking about the differences between courses of equal slope and difficulty, on which you would in theory have the same course handicap and therefore the same expected score. And ESC isn't a factor since I don't often have to chop strokes that way. It's more like I'll play two courses of near identical rating and slope, one of which somehow just suits me better... i'll shoot low 70's there, and then go and shot high 80's another course that is supposedly the same difficulty wise. Being a lefty, i often wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that some designers consciously design their tracks to punish mistakes.... by righties. So all the trouble is on the right side where i rarely go, etc.... maybe courses like that are the ones that suit me, who knows? For example, here are courses that i always play well on, and not so well :

Play Well :

osprey valley
St Andrews Valley
Settlers Ghost
Nobleton Lakes
Horseshoe Valley
Timberwolf

Play horribly:

Hockley Valley
Mystic
Bond Head
Deer Run
Wooden Sticks

AlfaGolfer
Jun 24, 2009, 01:59 PM
I think what you're saying (I get it now) is one of the reasons why Tour players choose to play certain courses. They often call it "suiting their eye" which I take to mean either feeling comfortable or suiting their game.

i think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was talking about the differences between courses of equal slope and difficulty, on which you would in theory have the same course handicap and therefore the same expected score. And ESC isn't a factor since I don't often have to chop strokes that way. It's more like I'll play two courses of near identical rating and slope, one of which somehow just suits me better... i'll shoot low 70's there, and then go and shot high 80's another course that is supposedly the same difficulty wise. Being a lefty, i often wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that some designers consciously design their tracks to punish mistakes.... by righties. So all the trouble is on the right side where i rarely go, etc.... maybe courses like that are the ones that suit me, who knows? For example, here are courses that i always play well on, and not so well :

Play Well :

osprey valley
St Andrews Valley
Settlers Ghost
Nobleton Lakes
Horseshoe Valley
Timberwolf

Play horribly:

Hockley Valley
Mystic
Bond Head
Deer Run
Wooden Sticks

Sunshine
Jun 24, 2009, 03:02 PM
I don't have a membership anywhere so I just play around wherever at whatever tracks I think I'd enjoy or if I can find a good deal somewhere.. so I find my index is pretty much on track.. it's 13.1 right now.. I'm generally around the 85 mark.. I've had a few good rounds lower than that but haven't been able to break into the 70's.. and of course I've had some scores into the 90's on bad days..

corchard
Jun 25, 2009, 09:39 AM
For me it's comfort around a course. I will always play BH well because every time I walk into the clubhouse it feels like home. There are a few other courses like that where I arrive relaxed and ready to play.

A course that I'm playing for the first time will always punish me. I can't get comfortable enough even if I'm laying up with an iron off the tee to make a free swing at the ball. It's not tension per say, just doubts.

Also if the course is tight, and tree lined I'm pretty much screwed. My game is too many bad shots followed by specacular recovery shots.