PDA

View Full Version : TGN Eagle's Nest Tourny... Have to ask...

Pages : [1] 2

Anthony
Jun 23, 2009, 10:54 PM
How's the sign up going? Last year it seemed there were more sponsors and more bang for the buck. Missed the early bird and now it is $130, which EN's price for the 2:30 twilight (our tee off is 1:30, thus truly we are getting the twilight rate) a hamburger and pop. I know it says EN Gift pack, but is it anything more then a ball mark or felt bag? I hate to be critical as I have no chance at the prizes (raffle and I guess closest to), but again I look at the cost and wonder what I am getting for a Sunday afternoon golf game. At this date I better be assured of a great golf day weather wise at this price.

This year the golf bargains are everywhere and I have to think long and hard before spending $130 for a long afternoon of golf away from the family.

I know I am being negative, but just conveying my thoughts.

Big Shooter
Jun 24, 2009, 12:29 AM
ditto ^^

Focker Singh
Jun 24, 2009, 10:09 AM
Hi Anthony...I understand your thought process and I`m sure you`re not the only one.

As for sponsors and prizes, we have Callaway again this year as our Platinum sponsor. They have donated some prizes, will have a demo on the driving range prior to the shotgun, 2 for 1 swing analysis at Daimondback GC coupons. We will also have Nick Starchuk, CPGA Pro, giving a "long drive" demo and offering some tips. Nick will also be on a par 3 with a "beat the pro" contest. We have numerous on course competitions and contests. We have other sponsors kindly donating prizes as well.

Dont think you cant win any on course contests, there are plenty of chances at all levels. There`s a ton of luck involved too with closest to the pin and hole in one contests. It will be a fun day and hopefully we`ll see you there. Dont forget, its also a social outting for fellow TGN members to meet each other and put names to faces. Hope this helps you make your decision. Cheers!

Anthony
Jun 24, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hi Anthony...I understand your thought process and I`m sure you`re not the only one.

As for sponsors and prizes, we have Callaway again this year as our Platinum sponsor. They have donated some prizes, will have a demo on the driving range prior to the shotgun, 2 for 1 swing analysis at Daimondback GC coupons. We will also have Nick Starchuk, CPGA Pro, giving a "long drive" demo and offering some tips. Nick will also be on a par 3 with a "beat the pro" contest. We have numerous on course competitions and contests. We have other sponsors kindly donating prizes as well.

Dont think you cant win any on course contests, there are plenty of chances at all levels. There`s a ton of luck involved too with closest to the pin and hole in one contests. It will be a fun day and hopefully we`ll see you there. Dont forget, its also a social outting for fellow TGN members to meet each other and put names to faces. Hope this helps you make your decision. Cheers!

I know everyone works hard to put the day together and we cross our fingers and hope for great weather. I hope my posts don't come across negative, but I always have to rationalize my decisions to play these events. Being a Sunday and family commitments, I have to decide whether I can make the time.

As I said in another post, EN is a great course, but am concerned with the set-up the day and the pace of play, with the fescue and a # of serious golfers who will be taking the day as a tournament and could slow the pace of play.

I hope all works out and that I can make it.

dnaman
Jun 24, 2009, 11:09 AM
Just wondering, how many spots are left since i *may* be able to gather another group to join?

Bellyhungry
Jun 24, 2009, 11:17 AM
Anthony is right, a clearly communicated layout of agenda and itinerary would help one to decide whether it is worth their time and money to participate.

And of course, only the individual can decide if it is worth their troubles. And different people have different comfort zone relative to the package offered.

Focker Singh
Jun 24, 2009, 02:35 PM
Anthony is right, a clearly communicated layout of agenda and itinerary would help one to decide whether it is worth their time and money to participate.

And of course, only the individual can decide if it is worth their troubles. And different people have different comfort zone relative to the package offered.

We understand. There will be a communication on the days agenda and itinerary shortly. Stay tuned.

Focker Singh
Jun 24, 2009, 02:36 PM
Just wondering, how many spots are left since i *may* be able to gather another group to join?

There are approximately 30 more spots open. Feel free to sign up if you`re still undecided or know of anyone else whom might want to join.

westbeach
Jun 24, 2009, 02:52 PM
Anthony, think about why you are going and see if it is worth it. If you are just going to play golf and you don't normally spend $130 on a golf game, then you probably shouldn't attend. But if you think it's worth it to play at say $100, then think of the $30 as a donation to TGN for all the great work they've done in uniting golf nuts in GTA and for the opportunity to meet the friends or enemies you made on TGN.

Anthony
Jun 24, 2009, 04:56 PM
Anthony, think about why you are going and see if it is worth it. If you are just going to play golf and you don't normally spend $130 on a golf game, then you probably shouldn't attend. But if you think it's worth it to play at say $100, then think of the $30 as a donation to TGN for all the great work they've done in uniting golf nuts in GTA and for the opportunity to meet the friends or enemies you made on TGN.

I made friends here???? There are a # of factors that go into the decision to play. $130 is expensive (certainly affordable, but not the point). I look at it from a value stand point. For the money, I do want a great weather day, I want to be comfortable with pace of play (here I am 90% convinced it will be slow), I need to have a foursome or friend to play with and as said I have family commitments that I harp on when it comes to a long day of golf.

I think others feel the same way, but that is why I post as I am not sure....

dnaman
Jun 24, 2009, 06:43 PM
There are approximately 30 more spots open. Feel free to sign up if you`re still undecided or know of anyone else whom might want to join.

Ah ok, im already signed up with my foursome..i'll try to convince some other guys to play the tourney.

For my foursome, this is the first tourney we've ever played (i think one guy has played with work tourneys before), so we have zero expectations and just looking to play a round at a top quality course and experience our first tourney...yeah virginal-like but what the heck. And no,we ain't nowhere near pros.

goshawk
Jun 24, 2009, 08:44 PM
Ah ok, im already signed up with my foursome..i'll try to convince some other guys to play the tourney.

For my foursome, this is the first tourney we've ever played (i think one guy has played with work tourneys before), so we have zero expectations and just looking to play a round at a top quality course and experience our first tourney...yeah virginal-like but what the heck. And no,we ain't nowhere near pros.I don't remember anyone on this forum who play golf full time for a living. ;)

Fantasy09
Jun 24, 2009, 08:55 PM

$100 = 4 1/2 hours round + $30 = 6 or 6 1/2 hours round...

AlfaGolfer
Jun 24, 2009, 09:16 PM
I made friends here???? There are a # of factors that go into the decision to play. $130 is expensive (certainly affordable, but not the point). I look at it from a value stand point. For the money, I do want a great weather day, I want to be comfortable with pace of play (here I am 90% convinced it will be slow), I need to have a foursome or friend to play with and as said I have family commitments that I harp on when it comes to a long day of golf.

I think others feel the same way, but that is why I post as I am not sure....

Can the tournament organizers please arrange for a good weather day, no sorry, a great weather day, to make sure Anthony's happy and that his criteria are met? That's:sun:not:lightningor:umbrella:!:D

Big Shooter
Jun 24, 2009, 10:31 PM
That's:sun:not:lightningor:umbrella:!:D

...and for goodness sakes, NO WIND!!!
....course is built on a dump, and it's already got a killer slope rating!!! :eek:;)

golf nut
Jun 24, 2009, 11:54 PM

For my foursome, this is the first tourney we've ever played (i think one guy has played with work tourneys before), so we have zero expectations and just looking to play a round at a top quality course and experience our first tourney...yeah virginal-like but what the heck. And no,we ain't nowhere near pros.

I think you guys should go out just ahead of Anthony.

Anthony
Jun 25, 2009, 06:14 AM
Can the tournament organizers please arrange for a good weather day, no sorry, a great weather day, to make sure Anthony's happy and that his criteria are met? That's:sun:not:lightningor:umbrella:!:D

Ok you got me again. Boy honesty sucks.... I've said this more then once, unless it is a charity tournament, which I support, I do not make commitments 1-2 months in advance. If I am paying big dollars and know that it will be a slow round on a course, I will also have to rationalize my expenditure. Add again that it is the weekend and I have to clear it with my family, which I know is foreign to many of you here....

If I was playing EN on any day, very simply I'd check the forecast before investing $130 to play there. I am not spending that money on a lousy day.

Again sorry for a candid commentary.

racmbs
Jun 25, 2009, 06:49 AM
Ok you got me again. Boy honesty sucks.... I've said this more then once, unless it is a charity tournament, which I support, I do not make commitments 1-2 months in advance. If I am paying big dollars and know that it will be a slow round on a course, I will also have to rationalize my expenditure. Add again that it is the weekend and I have to clear it with my family, which I know is foreign to many of you here....

If I was playing EN on any day, very simply I'd check the forecast before investing $130 to play there. I am not spending that money on a lousy day.

Anthony:

Do yourself a favor....just play somewhere else and stop it already. The point of the TGN tournament is to just come out and have fun, regardless of what the event is geared towards. Yes I agree with you that ponying up $130 for just a round of golf is a tough pill to swallow, but this is more than just that....it's an opportunity to come out and meet some of the people you've come to love/hate on the site and put some faces to names and have a great time on a good golf course. Any tournament you enter well in advance is taking a chance, so the comment pointing to weather watching and the justifying of spending $130 just baffles me. This isn't a round of golf with 3 of your buddies, it's a tournament for pete's sake.

You've honestly got to be the only person I've come across that has so much negativity brewing inside.....almost all of your posts reflect one or more negative opinions about someone or something.

Loosen up that tie and relax a little bit, life is too short to be all wound up all the time. :)

Bellyhungry
Jun 25, 2009, 06:51 AM

Anthony, you have a lot of concerns and apprehensions. Let's hear what you think the positives are if you do participate.

Also, if you have any doubt whatsoever, my suggestion is not to go so that you don't put yourself through the second guessings after the fact.

Anthony
Jun 25, 2009, 07:05 AM
Anthony, you have a lot of concerns and apprehensions. Let's hear what you think the positives are if you do participate.

Also, if you have any doubt whatsoever, my suggestion is not to go so that you don't put yourself through the second guessings after the fact.

I will have no second thoughts if I play. Again I see some people refering to it as a tournament, others as a golf day.

My concern as I stated way back and last year at Bond Head is that it would be played from a back tee, which is too long for me and many and that it will be a long round (which I always grouse about, but am getting better about). TGN did a great job last year and I'm sure will do so again this year.

When originally EN was proposed I too questioned the "bang for the buck", and that frankly has not changed.

RACMBS - You are approaching the day as a tournament, I as a day with friends and to meet some people behind their screen names. That is a big difference imo as to the day.

You comment on my negativity and how I have commented on people on this site. I post my views, I try and have fun and most are simply about rules, how I play the game, my extra shots, preferred lies and what I find inane rules, playing the wrong tees, course reviews, cost of golf and of course pace of play. Please go through my 1,350 odd posts and find where I have insulted or been condescending to another member, where I wasn't defending myself. I get probably more negative comments then anyone on the site and actually 98% of the time I ignore it. Again comments about me, because I have said the cost is a little high (blame EN not TGN) and saying I like to play in decent weather, especially at the price and day (a Sunday away from family) seems uncalled for.

Also am waiting for some friends to respond if they can play. Not everyone I know is a TGN.....:$

akrus
Jun 25, 2009, 09:59 AM

I took a management course in which the instructor (former VP at General Mills or Kellog - I can't recall...) took time to give us insight to a rule he instituted while there. He stated that one of the greatest hurdles they had to getting any project moving was, what I'm going to call the "Anthony mindset" from this point forward... He said that before you could raise a negative concern in a meeting, you needed to provide 3 positives. Claimed that it really got people to think of all sides of the coin rather than just dismissing a plan because of their inability to focus on anything other than the negatives.

akrus
Jun 25, 2009, 10:03 AM
Again comments about me, because I have said the cost is a little high (blame EN not TGN)

EN charges what they feel is appropriate for their clients - if you don't like it, don't play it. Golf is not a poor man's sport, regardless of how much you and many others wish it were. As far as I'm concerned, the TGN event is a once a year event in which there is more to it than just the golf. If you can't see the value in that, then you should just go play where you will get the deal you feel is right.

dnaman
Jun 25, 2009, 10:49 AM
I think you guys should go out just ahead of Anthony.

Anthony,
No worries, just play behind/front of us, and when the round gets backed up on the par 3's, we'll call over the cart girl and have a drink or five. We're in it for the 'golf day' definitely.

hannah
Jun 25, 2009, 10:50 AM
EN charges what they feel is appropriate for their clients - if you don't like it, don't play it. Golf is not a poor man's sport, regardless of how much you and many others wish it were. As far as I'm concerned, the TGN event is a once a year event in which there is more to it than just the golf. If you can't see the value in that, then you should just go play where you will get the deal you feel is right.

:clap:Thank you, because I was ready to say pretty much the same thing, just been biting my tongue.

Bellyhungry
Jun 25, 2009, 11:00 AM
I took a management course in which the instructor (former VP at General Mills or Kellog - I can't recall...) took time to give us insight to a rule he instituted while there. He stated that one of the greatest hurdles they had to getting any project moving was, what I'm going to call the "Anthony mindset" from this point forward... He said that before you could raise a negative concern in a meeting, you needed to provide 3 positives. Claimed that it really got people to think of all sides of the coin rather than just dismissing a plan because of their inability to focus on anything other than the negatives.

It appeared that you and I have been through too many management/leadership courses. I have many framed certificates from Rothman and Schulich to show for them :D

Petedv
Jun 25, 2009, 11:39 AM
Guys I don't see anything wrong with Anthony's questions/comments and actually think that it is good discussion becuase if he really did not want to go then I believe he would not even bother posting and would likely just move through some other thread.

The fact that he is actually asking questions is a good thing because it shows some level interest to go and also provides a voice for others who may still be on fence.

Just my 2 cents

Pete

Anthony
Jun 25, 2009, 01:28 PM
Guys I don't see anything wrong with Anthony's questions/comments and actually think that it is good discussion becuase if he really did not want to go then I believe he would not even bother posting and would likely just move through some other thread.

The fact that he is actually asking questions is a good thing because it shows some level interest to go and also provides a voice for others who may still be on fence.

Just my 2 cents

Pete

Thanks Pete for seeing and probably conveying better then I could my point. I fully support TGN and think it will be a great day (if the weather gods cooperate).

Akrus you seem to have a problem with most of my comments when it comes to finances as this is not the first time you've decided to respond and tell me that money should not be a factor. I've read your posts and obviously you are intelligent and successful and have plenty of time to golf (moreso then I do). Thus your decision is simple.

If I decided to play on a Saturday @ EN @ $120 and the forecast called for clouds and rain, I'd cancel..... Sorry I guess I am not a golf nut.... If Lakeview for $50, I'd probably be okay.... If I wanted to be with my family, it would be on that grey/cloudy day.... That's my choice and how I base my decision.

I have friends who if they saw my posts or knew I was a member of this site would roll their eyes in jest, wondering why I would care or spend my time here. Trying to explain would be too much a chore. I like this site.....

I will be happy to be behind dnaman and share a drink, as I expect delays and will not be winning any prizes (don't forget my complaints about long drive competitions, that I vehemently oppose) thus a drink or 3 or 4 (as long as I am sober and can drive) is fine by me:rolleyes:.....

JR59
Jun 25, 2009, 01:59 PM
I think you need a slightly more positive attitude with regards to some of the contests. If you know you aren't a long hitter then you are probably right in your assumption you won't win the long drive competition. However a closest to the pin or hole in one competition can be won by anyone at anytime.

Assuming you can't win is just a poor attitude and will most likely result in poor shots on those holes. I'm a 10 capper give or take and if you give me a short iron and an accessible flag I'm confident that I can get it close more often than not. All it takes to win a closest to the pin competition is one good shot, one that you've probably hit a number of times in the past.

I don't see an issue with you questioning the itinerary and what not, I think it's fair that you want value for what you are paying, it just seems that value to you is different than others on here, though I think you've beaten to death your opinion about the pace of play and your fear over the possible competitive nature of the day.

VBall
Jun 25, 2009, 02:38 PM
I met Anthony at last year's tournament and to be honest, he's actually a pretty positive and nice guy.

No worries Anthony.

Anthony
Jun 25, 2009, 02:38 PM
I think you need a slightly more positive attitude with regards to some of the contests. If you know you aren't a long hitter then you are probably right in your assumption you won't win the long drive competition. However a closest to the pin or hole in one competition can be won by anyone at anytime.

Assuming you can't win is just a poor attitude and will most likely result in poor shots on those holes. I'm a 10 capper give or take and if you give me a short iron and an accessible flag I'm confident that I can get it close more often than not. All it takes to win a closest to the pin competition is one good shot, one that you've probably hit a number of times in the past.

I don't see an issue with you questioning the itinerary and what not, I think it's fair that you want value for what you are paying, it just seems that value to you is different than others on here, though I think you've beaten to death your opinion about the pace of play and your fear over the possible competitive nature of the day.

I have also said I am okay with it being a slow day in other emails. The Long Drive I however find ridiculous. You are absolutely right about closest to the pin. Yes some people have a much better chance to win that then others (based on their skill). The Long Drive however is limited to only a group of probably 10 golfers, which I think is ridiculous. I think closest to a line is fairer. It is just one of my bugaboos..... Not a big deal, just a point I make. I will be there for fun and comaraderie, and will accept the slow play, probably by those in the hunt (to win) or playing their skin games....:rolleyes:

Thanks vball.... I'm just a jerk on this site.......

AlfaGolfer
Jun 25, 2009, 03:11 PM

Anthony,

I would like to be clear that I was trying to provide some levity regarding weather arrangements, not to be sarcastic or disdainful. I don't mind banter but I am definitely not in favour of bullying which some comments are bordering upon.

You may be a very drunk golfer as I will buy you a beer to amend for what may have been a contribution towards the negativity towards your comments.:beer:

racmbs
Jun 25, 2009, 04:00 PM
I met Anthony at last year's tournament and to be honest, he's actually a pretty positive and nice guy.

No worries Anthony.

Well just peachy then. :rofl:

MannyR
Jun 25, 2009, 04:01 PM
I look at the event as being a day where I can play golf and meet people who I anonomously communicate with. Put a face to the pseudonym/avatar.

Sure at $120 it's not cheap and there are no weather guarantees. It'll be a great day and hey, I might even win something...but definitely not the long drive.

Last year I won a Titleist hat and was very happy.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a couple of weeks!

Anthony
Jun 25, 2009, 04:09 PM
Anthony,

I would like to be clear that I was trying to provide some levity regarding weather arrangements, not to be sarcastic or disdainful. I don't mind banter but I am definitely not in favour of bullying which some comments are bordering upon.

You may be a very drunk golfer as I will buy you a beer to amend for what may have been a contribution towards the negativity towards your comments.:beer:

Trust me I was not bothered.....95% of comments are like water off a duck's back. A few over the years I think were uncalled for and attacked my character, but for the most part I just have fun and I roll with the punches....

I'll drink, but I'll stop short of being drunk and driving, though I may appreciate the slow round in that case....:D

goshawk
Jun 25, 2009, 05:01 PM
I have also said I am okay with it being a slow day in other emails. The Long Drive I however find ridiculous. You are absolutely right about closest to the pin. Yes some people have a much better chance to win that then others (based on their skill). The Long Drive however is limited to only a group of probably 10 golfers, which I think is ridiculous. I think closest to a line is fairer. It is just one of my bugaboos..... Not a big deal, just a point I make. I will be there for fun and comaraderie, and will accept the slow play, probably by those in the hunt (to win) or playing their skin games....:rolleyes:

Thanks vball.... I'm just a jerk on this site.......In the Breast Cancer Tournament last Monday, we didn't have a long drive contest, but we did have a closest to the line (a rope down the middle of par 5 #2 hole. I thought I had won it (not many groups behind us and I was about 8 inches from the rope) until the dinner and found out a good friend of mine ended up touching the rope! Stole my digital camera!!!! We're still good friends though! ;)

Bellyhungry
Jun 25, 2009, 08:20 PM

No worries Anthony.

VBALL, high post count ought to count for something like price break, no? :D

hannah
Jun 25, 2009, 08:35 PM
I look at the event as being a day where I can play golf and meet people who I anonomously communicate with. Put a face to the pseudonym/avatar.

Sure at $120 it's not cheap and there are no weather guarantees. It'll be a great day and hey, I might even win something...but definitely not the long drive.

Last year I won a Titleist hat and was very happy.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a couple of weeks!

Don't you think you just won enough golf gear for the yr.:D

MannyR
Jun 26, 2009, 08:15 AM
Don't you think you just won enough golf gear for the yr.:D
I know, it's almost embarrassing.

Do we have a foursome?

hannah
Jun 26, 2009, 09:12 AM
I know, it's almost embarrassing.

Do we have a foursome?

Just you and I and whoever they put with us, :)

Pingnut
Jun 26, 2009, 09:37 AM
Just you and I and whoever they put with us, :)

Can I join you guys?

Bluefan75
Jun 26, 2009, 10:01 AM

Just my 2 cents

Pete

I have to agree with this. And I have to agree with alfagolfer's point that some posts have bordered on bullying. It seems that some people believe this event is the greatest thing since sliced bread and will not hear of anyone questioning any aspect of it.

Always amazes me at how people seem to think there needs to be absolute agreement and support for everything, and people must not question or dispute.

Pingnut
Jun 26, 2009, 10:17 AM
I think people were just getting a little put off with Anthony continually questioning the value of the event, the venue, the pace, the tee decks, the tee time, the day of the week, the prizes etc. etc. etc.. We get it. If he doesn't want to come - don't come. If he wants to come - please do, as I'm sure it's going to be a great time.

simar
Jun 26, 2009, 10:34 AM
Anthony is asking some tough questions that only he can answer for himself. The venue is set, the price is set, the rest is up to the individual. Times are tough and everyone has to see what their wallet has left in it for entertainment dollars at the end of the day. Its not easy to get a tournament setup and for that I think that the TGN team do a fantastic job. I'd love to see everyone make it out, but some can't and thats okay.

hannah
Jun 26, 2009, 11:12 AM
Can I join you guys?

For sure, III send Flo a email asking that they put you with us, consider it done, I just her a email asking her to add you to our team, I have asked her to respond to my email to make sure it was done. :D

akrus
Jun 26, 2009, 11:39 AM
Anthony is asking some tough questions that only he can answer for himself. The venue is set, the price is set, the rest is up to the individual. Times are tough and everyone has to see what their wallet has left in it for entertainment dollars at the end of the day. Its not easy to get a tournament setup and for that I think that the TGN team do a fantastic job. I'd love to see everyone make it out, but some can't and thats okay.

Yoda, you've returned!

Anthony
Jun 26, 2009, 12:46 PM
I think people were just getting a little put off with Anthony continually questioning the value of the event, the venue, the pace, the tee decks, the tee time, the day of the week, the prizes etc. etc. etc.. We get it. If he doesn't want to come - don't come. If he wants to come - please do, as I'm sure it's going to be a great time.

Get put off??? I don't care, but please get the facts straight. I have always questioned pace of play and ask how to speed it up. Also said I am okay with a slow round during an event..... I commented to the organizers and those asking that I do think it will be a tough course and the fescue is high and difficult. I along with most thought the original tee time was 2:30, which was way too late based on the pace of play. Never commented on the Sunday date, outside family commitments ;). The tee decks yes is an issue to us short hitters and I hope are considered in the set-up (sure they are). Prizes are subjective and I gave my opinion (take it or leave it, but am pissed about log drive).

As for value, damn right I think it is important and the original offering by EN was lousy (and yes I was the first to say so).

In any case, anyone have room for a single???? Not sure I want to subject my golf friends to TGN and explain my association with the site and what people think of this screen persona I have created.

racmbs
Jun 26, 2009, 12:52 PM
If at all possible, my 2 groups would like to be split up....

One group behind Anthony, the other in front. :D

Anthony
Jun 26, 2009, 01:17 PM
If at all possible, my 2 groups would like to be split up....

One group behind Anthony, the other in front. :D

Maybe I can play alone as a single with 4 balls and get my money's worth.....:D. Racmbs, I know you are a bomber, so sure you want to play behind me..... I'll dodge your tee shots....:rolleyes:

racmbs
Jun 26, 2009, 01:21 PM
Maybe I can play alone as a single with 4 balls and get my money's worth.....:D. Racmbs, I know you are a bomber, so sure you want to play behind me..... I'll dodge your tee shots....:rolleyes:

No, I will play in front of you....

Ever watched a really, really, really, loooooonnnnnggggggg boring movie before?

If not, play July 12th. :p

Bellyhungry
Jun 26, 2009, 01:48 PM
Tough course - checked
Prize distribution not fair - checked
Expensive commitment - checked
Family time infringement - checked
Tee box advantage for long hitters - checked

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs6/i/2005/064/c/0/Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif