PDA

View Full Version : Does a good putting day make up for bad ball striking????

Anthony
Jun 24, 2009, 01:58 PM
Last round I played was as pure a ball striking day as I ever had, with few bad swings, some nice recoveries and at worst a par putt. Made a few nice lags but missed by my count 8-10 putts between 4'-10'..... Pathetic, but heck just putting imo.....:rolleyes:

The point is if I shoot the same round, making those putts but hitting the ball terrible, am I as excited and anticipating my next round???? No....

Simply I have to concentrate more, which is easier to say about putting then all other facets of the game....

Comments/Opinions???? Agree/Disagree???

thephenom
Jun 24, 2009, 04:43 PM
I prefer a good putting/bad ball striking day over bad putting/good ball striking day. That giant banana off the tee box doesn't feel nearly as bad as missing a 4' putt. :)

focal
Jun 24, 2009, 04:53 PM
good point...I prefer a good ball striking day personally....that's the FUN of the game....but the frustrations of missing 4 footers is tough to take home...you'll bore your wife and yourself with "if Only I could've/should've/would've"

Anthony
Jun 24, 2009, 05:53 PM
good point...I prefer a good ball striking day personally....that's the FUN of the game....but the frustrations of missing 4 footers is tough to take home...you'll bore your wife and yourself with "if Only I could've/should've/would've"

Missing putts means you had chances... Saying "if i only hit that 6I like I wanted to I'd have been on the green" seems pretty hollow..... Or "boy that was a lousy chip to 40', but I cozied it for a tap in 5" vs. "What a nice chip to 4', too bad I missed the putt for par"....

Bellyhungry
Jun 24, 2009, 05:57 PM

I prefer good ball striking any day.
Also, I prefer good driving over good iron play.

dohboy
Jun 24, 2009, 06:42 PM
I prefer good ball striking any day.
Also, I prefer good driving over good iron play.
I prefer to have both. Sadly, it's always one or the other, but recently, neither :(

goshawk
Jun 24, 2009, 07:37 PM
In answer to the original question, NO! If there's one thing I hate more than anything else on the course, it's to 3 putt. I'd much prefer to have shots going to unknown parts of the course and have to scramble for par or bogey than to 3-putt a green after hitting a GIR, regardless of how far that first putt is from the hole.

cobbie_90
Jun 24, 2009, 07:43 PM
id rather have a good ball striking day because then i know im giving myself a chance for birdies ... you have to get lucky once in awhile

travis
Jun 24, 2009, 07:48 PM
In answer to the original question, NO! If there's one thing I hate more than anything else on the course, it's to 3 putt. I'd much prefer to have shots going to unknown parts of the course and have to scramble for par or bogey than to 3-putt a green after hitting a GIR, regardless of how far that first putt is from the hole.

+1

A bad shot here or there is bound to happen...even the pros hit some wayward shots. But 3 putting is really inexcusable, imo, it's wasted strokes. It's one of the few things that will get me truly frustrated on the course.

Bwadd
Jun 24, 2009, 10:08 PM
Thats pretty much my whole golf game... god awfull ball striking with pretty decent flat stick work!

WILL
Jun 24, 2009, 10:12 PM
I gotta go with NO.

I made 5 birds again today and shot 75 due to 2 doubles I made. Putted pretty solid IMHO.

Hombre Lefty
Jun 24, 2009, 11:18 PM
depends on how bad we're talking... if you mean bad as in you're on the green in regulation plus one, great putting can make up for it. But if your tee shots are making you 3 off the tee every hole that's a fair bit different

ginrin
Jun 25, 2009, 07:38 AM
Putting will always be the key to low rounds.If you putt well for a period of time,it relieves a lot of pressure of your iron game and short game.Putting is the major factor,Tiger is so good.I find it very frustrating to hit the ball close and not make the putt,since the mentality is to hit your irons even closer,which puts a lot of pressure on your iron play and your short shots.The pros will tell you a good putter can play anywhere.

Emtee
Jun 25, 2009, 08:00 AM

LOL...If I bring home 'course frustrations' I get zero sympathy and 'Maybe you should quit playing'. Therefore, EVERY round is a "good day", then I go and stew by myself somewhere!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good putter way better then good ball striking (except for 'lost ball' tee shots).

Anthony
Jun 25, 2009, 08:34 AM
Again I play a different game then most here. I used to play what I called the 6/6/6 game (hate the sign of the devil).... I like when I play a decent course to have 6 pars/6 Bogeys/6 doubles..... I've improved a little so want to do a little better, and want 6-10 GIR (depending on the difficulty of the course), around the green in regulation (within 20-30 yards) on almost every hole, would like to be around 36 putts (though seldom count), make 1-2 putts a round, good lags and make a few up and downs from around the green.....

But putting is at the bottom of my list, though after that last round I can only shake my head as to how well I could have shot if I made at least 50% of those putts.

Pingnut
Jun 25, 2009, 09:22 AM
I'd rather putt well than hit the ball well.. Pretty sure the number on the score card would be lower on a good putting day.

P25
Jun 25, 2009, 09:27 AM
I would rather have a good ball striking day. It's such a frustrating game when you have no confidence standing in the fairway from 150 yards away and feeling like you can't hit the massive green in front of you. I'd rather be 3 putting than spraying the ball everywhere. The score may be higher, but the wallet will still weigh the same! :D

Lefty17
Jun 25, 2009, 09:41 AM
I prefer for both to be working at the same time....;)

I prefer and good putter day to a bad striking day.

Tuesday I hit (12 GIR & 6 FW) well and made nothing shot 71. Yesterday hit he ball worse (10 GIR & 4 FW) then Tuesday made the up and downs and shot 68.

bilinguru
Jun 25, 2009, 10:20 AM
"Make up for"? Hmmmmmm. On the card 'Yes' but in the pysche 'No'.
I think everyone here wants balance.
I can have a day of good ball striking with crappy outcomes and good putting where everything lips out and I'm happy with the round. I just chalk it up to the golf gods keeping me humble. I can also have a so-so day hitting the ball and marginal putting, but find my score was not bad, but I don't feel as good with the round.
If I feel I was in control of the ball for the majority of the day, then I feel like I had a good round, whatever the final score happened to be.

dekker
Jun 25, 2009, 10:43 AM
No. My irons were embarrassing, but my putting was stellar last week.
I was ready to take up darts.