PDA

View Full Version : Cart Girls

Pages : [1] 2 3

brianfrench
Jun 25, 2009, 02:19 PM
I know, I know - many of you all look forward to the visits of the cute girls delivering your beer. You might even turn on the charm to maybe pursue a fantasy (see other thread on most amazing thing...)
But yesterday, one more event to make me grumpy - A cart girl who floors it to get to the next foursome to collect her next big tip. Not thinking (or knowing enough about the game) that maybe someone is teeing off.
Happened yesterday on a links course in the west part of GTA. I'm just coming off a hole won - back in the match, step up to the tee, get into my waggle, start the backswing and here she comes - and there it goes - into the LHS fescue.
Are these girls briefed on etiquette, or just on maxing out their income, or just that the golf course and the players don't matter, coz she's the star and it all is about her...

caddishack
Jun 25, 2009, 02:25 PM
I would like to think that there is some teaching that goes into when and where they should stop to serve but seldom do I see it happen. The classic is when they stop by a greenside and everyone after putting huddles around and your left out in the middle of the fairway trying to be patient but hesitant to hit because they are technically in the line of a possible misfire.

I remember a few years ago at Glenway, we were in a tourney and we are on the tee box of the par 3 8th hole I think. For those that know it , it is an elevated tee box and the cart path runs directly in fron of the tees. I am setting up the shot for a closest to the pin and out of nowhere on my backswing this beer cart drives right in front of me. Needless to say I was just a little perturbed but didn't want to upset the cutie driving. Took my second from the ^&%$ bunker!!!

Bluefan75
Jun 25, 2009, 03:10 PM
My group was on the tee at a par 3, and the guys were discussing the distance. "165", "170", things like that. The cart girl is kind of hanging around to see if we want anything. We're rabbits so we're not wasting much time. The guy with honors is on the tee, over his ball.

She says "I heard a group earlier say it was 145 but I'm not too sure." And then walks to the cart. After I hit, I went over to her and politely but firmly gave her some friendly advice that she should never, ever offer advice especailly when someone is over the ball. Do not introduce doubt into a person's mind. She's not a caddy, she's a cart girl. Were she to do that to the wrong member, they would have her fired. I know I would have flipped had she done that to me. I don't have any pull to get her fired(nor would I try), but I would make sure that whoever manages them knew all about my displeasure.

About a month later, same girl, same hole. The cart path actually goes at a funny angle from the previous hole because there is a washroom nearby, and then you come back to the tee. She has the cart there. She sells some drinks to the people coming up the other direction. Then, as one of our guys are on the tee, she guns the cart so she can move it 90* and about 4 feet, presumably for shade. One of the guys who wasn't hitting asked why she moved the cart at all. The guy on the tee gave her a stare, but thinking he was staring because she is blond, she smiled and waved back. He didn't bother clarifying.

Maybe since I don't drink on the course, I don't see their necessity, and as such don't give them a free pass for stupid behavior due to being easy on the eyes. Some of them know how to go about things, but the ones who don't don't get a free pass from me due to their looks.

brianfrench
Jun 25, 2009, 03:29 PM
I thought real hard before not including the course and girls name. But by not includign same, all course managers in the west GTA can assume that it was them and make sure that their cart service staff know why they are there (and it's not for them to make tips).
I had a marshal problem yesterday, too.
I had been on a roll and pulled by approach pin high about 10 yds off the green, i went through my routine, fixed on a trajectory and landing point, set up to the ball, started by back swing and a marshall came around a corner to stop about 20 feet away.
Of course, I backed off couldn't get by nirvana back and chunked it.
Did get up and down from there, but I was mighty aggravated (at me for putting it there and at him for interrupting my shot). I think that marshals should always anticipate a player is about to play when they are turning a corner near a green.
But then again I got a rep of blaming a butterfly landing on a flower 100 yards away...

Bellyhungry
Jun 25, 2009, 03:32 PM
I just assume the cart girls are just there to make some money in the summer. I semi-expect that at any given time, they will do something that they shouldn't even if they are briefed when they are first hired - who can remember all the do's and don't do's anyway if they are new to the golf scene.

Since I don't play in any competition except for some casual skins from time to time, if someone get rattled and mis-hit as a result of the action of a cart girl, we just give them a do-over.

Not the end of the world, not enought to ruin a round of golf for me.

brianfrench
Jun 25, 2009, 03:49 PM
I play for money - and bragging rights. And do overs dont work Cap wise

Bellyhungry
Jun 25, 2009, 03:58 PM
I play for money - and bragging rights. And do overs dont work Cap wise

In that case, you should report the incident to the course manager about the indiscretion of the cart girl and marshall.

brianfrench
Jun 25, 2009, 04:34 PM
Neah... not worth it - was angry until I won anyway - maybe just a lot less than I mighta.

Hombre Lefty
Jun 25, 2009, 04:57 PM
i noticed this sort of thing happening more and more recently... just as you mentioned - stopping and selling people beer while they're in the middle of putting, driving right past you in the middle of your shot....

WILL
Jun 25, 2009, 05:01 PM
I can top this anyways, bro.

A few years ago I'm playing in a tournament I organized. It's at Elmira and the first tee is maybe 40 yards from the edge of the club house. While all the other players are teeing off I'm constantly having to tell surrounding people that players are on the tee (polite for "shut the heck up").

Being in the last group, I am finally on the tee and in the middle of my back swing some dolt poors a bucket full of ice into a bev cart making more noise than I would have thought possible.

Ever since then, I watch closely who is around and whats going on before I swing. Don't trust golf course staff to know something about golf because they just don't any more.

WILL
Jun 25, 2009, 05:02 PM
i noticed this sort of thing happening more and more recently... just as you mentioned - stopping and selling people beer while they're in the middle of putting, driving right past you in the middle of your shot....

Even other groups do that. :nono:

I always love the guys you can hear talking to each other from over 100 yards away on a completely different hole. :cookoo:

Maverickping
Jun 25, 2009, 07:20 PM
I came very close once to hitting one. I was right in the start of the downswing and she tries to out run my swing.
I thought I blew one of my knees out stopping, the young lady just waved, smiled and then scurried off to the next group.

Wasn't impressed at all.

Rick

brianfrench
Jun 25, 2009, 07:23 PM
I wonder if the courses really care - I suspect a lot of the girls are kids of employers or neighbours

golferboy
Jun 26, 2009, 08:14 AM
They care about profits....not your score...

I wonder if the courses really care - I suspect a lot of the girls are kids of employers or neighbours

Mule56
Jun 26, 2009, 08:20 AM
We never have this type of problem with the girls at our club. That's because they do two things. They train them before they can go out on the cart and they drive the course backwards (meaning they head out from #9 heading towards #8 and #18 headin towards #17). Therefore they don't come up from behind you and they always see what is out in front of them.

Nemo Dat
Jun 26, 2009, 08:23 AM
One of the guys who wasn't hitting asked why she moved the cart at all. The guy on the tee gave her a stare, but thinking he was staring because she is blond, she smiled and waved back. He didn't bother clarifying.

I thought that was so funny that it deserved to be quoted.

goshawk
Jun 26, 2009, 02:14 PM
We never have this type of problem with the girls at our club. That's because they do two things. They train them before they can go out on the cart and they drive the course backwards (meaning they head out from #9 heading towards #8 and #18 headin towards #17). Therefore they don't come up from behind you and they always see what is out in front of them.Same at Rolling Hills on all 3 courses. Also, because of the layout, the Challenge course has a convergience of 14 holes and that's where the beverage cart is usually parked. You're never more than 3 or 4 greens away from the cart.

AverageJoe
Jun 26, 2009, 02:16 PM
first...i think some of you guys take the game way too seriously

second...i love how a one off situation has turned into the girl being a horrible employee and person

I'm sure there are some cart girls who shouldn't be working simply because they are bad employees and don't care to work, but most of these girls are really good at not bothering the players. Sometimes however, it's bound to happen. Its a slip that happens to anyone who works anywhere.

Everyone is going to make some kind of mistake and if you say you haven't it's a lie.

I really hate it when people feel they have to report someone and even possibly name them and their employer in a public forum for one simple mistake.

I understand if she had done it repeatedly through the round, but obviously this was one specific situation. People need to relax and think things through sometimes.

Bluefan75
Jun 26, 2009, 02:34 PM

second...i love how a one off situation has turned into the girl being a horrible employee and person

I'm sure there are some cart girls who shouldn't be working simply because they are bad employees and don't care to work, but most of these girls are really good at not bothering the players. Sometimes however, it's bound to happen. Its a slip that happens to anyone who works anywhere.

Everyone is going to make some kind of mistake and if you say you haven't it's a lie.

I really hate it when people feel they have to report someone and even possibly name them and their employer in a public forum for one simple mistake.

I understand if she had done it repeatedly through the round, but obviously this was one specific situation. People need to relax and think things through sometimes.

Well, you'll have to forgive me for thinking this should always be looked at from the point of view of the customer who is paying a green fee and trying to play his best golf. When you operate under that basis, you don't tick anyone off, because the ones who are going to be upset aren't because you've paid attention.

Please show us the evidence that a cart girl doing something while we're playing our hole means she won't think it's ok to do it again later when someone else is teenig off? You can make a lot of money in the bars as well, and people don't care about when you make noise then. Just like working in a bank requires you to follow certain conditions, so does working on a golf course.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think the last sentence of the OP isn't the case: doesn't care because she thinks she's the star.

Just because you don't try to make a birdie on every hole doesn't mean others shouldn't.

brianfrench
Jun 26, 2009, 03:40 PM
There is a right way and a wrong way to serve drinks from a cart, I think. (It doesn't include hiring Madge the Diner Waitress).
The course managers likely know (a) the best 3 or 4 places that are most convenient to stop the cart for 20 minutes or so (b) tees where there are often backups and the carts should likely move between these places.
The motivation for the cart person is to sell as much and get as much in tips as possible. Same with the course. But this isn't exclusive of providing good and respectful service.
A manager should probably go out with new hires a time or two to coach them.

dekker
Jun 26, 2009, 05:22 PM
one minute you guys are ready to jizz your pants over some T/A in a beer cart and now of a sudden they are brainless bimbos responsible for screwing up your shot!:rolleyes:

Like Dean said "If you drink, don't drive don't even putt":rofl:
You guys flagged all the courses where the best oggling is so make up your mind. :rofl:

WILL
Jun 26, 2009, 05:58 PM

Well forgive ME for being a serious player as at a 2 hdcp I am on the verge of breaking par almost every time out and sometimes do.

And forgive me again for thinking of the poor girls' safety due to not being trained properly and might get killed by a golf ball at 18 yrs old.

golf nut
Jun 26, 2009, 06:16 PM
one minute you guys are ready to jizz your pants over some T/A in a beer cart and now of a sudden they are brainless bimbos responsible for screwing up your shot!:rolleyes:

Like Dean said "If you drink, don't drive don't even putt":rofl:
You guys flagged all the courses where the best oggling is so make up your mind. :rofl:

It's called "fickle" there's a few of them on here,one of them is from France.

Albatross
Jun 26, 2009, 06:54 PM
Well forgive ME for being a serious player as at a 2 hdcp I am on the verge of breaking par almost every time out and sometimes do.

And forgive me again for thinking of the poor girls' safety due to not being trained properly and might get killed by a golf ball at 18 yrs old.

did someone hit a nerve here willy boy

WILL
Jun 26, 2009, 06:59 PM
did someone hit a nerve here willy boy

You obviously didnt see the MJ thread yet. :rolleyes:

Bellyhungry
Jun 26, 2009, 07:25 PM
If the courses start having beer guys instead of beer girls, that might make a different....

Albatross
Jun 26, 2009, 07:27 PM
You obviously didnt see the MJ thread yet. :rolleyes:
ya i did, and once again, my bad

dekker
Jun 26, 2009, 08:12 PM
If the courses start having beer guys instead of beer girls, that might make a different....

well you'll definitely get the vote from the women's league
and it is Pride week.:rofl:

goshawk
Jun 26, 2009, 08:36 PM
If the courses start having beer guys instead of beer girls, that might make a different....I don't have a problem buying my Gatorade from a male vs a female cart driver. Makes no difference to me!! :p

brianfrench
Jun 26, 2009, 08:46 PM
Let's face it - the courses think they will make more money by having cute girls bounce around and flog alcohol.
A halfway house can meet the needs for refreshment, but not with the same level of revenue.
Doesn't mean that they can't accomplish that while still respecting the people payign the green fees.

Bellyhungry
Jun 26, 2009, 08:50 PM
well you'll definitely get the vote from the women's league
and it is Pride week.:rofl:

I don't have a problem buying my Gatorade from a male vs a female cart driver. Makes no difference to me!! :p

Think about the problems listed in previous posts....

- If a beer dude (BD) gets lippy, you can tell them to shove it without fear of being a chauvinist
- The odds of a BD as an avid golfer is higher than a BG, so they will observe the rule of 'do not disturb' better than their female counter part
- You can tip them less without feeling like you are being a cheapskate
- Chances are, they won't grin at you in hope of better tip
- More over, they won't flirt with you and ruins your focus when playing for money and bragging rights
- They have thicker skulls, even if they get beemed, they won't cry or die

Lionel, just don't order cream with your coffee ;)

sharkhark
Jun 26, 2009, 10:56 PM
wow...you guys sure get worked up over their etiquette or lack thereof...they drive a moving beer fridge..what do you expect...i am not thrilled on the pricing..but i sure as heck am glad to see them on the course and as long as i can catch them...to enjoy a cold beer on a hot day...she can gun the engine in my backswing...and floor it when i putt...i could care less....

matter of fact...i only opened this thread assuming it was along these lines.......

http://www.teetimegirl.com/images/600_E_IMG_1424.jpg

turfguy
Jun 27, 2009, 06:43 AM
having worked on courses for over 10 years, it's not always a lack of knowledge for the game or lack of training. I've been chewed out by golfers for shutting my equipment down and waiting for them to play because they don't want me watching them, just want me gone. The next group I come across might get upset because I don't stop just pass by while their setting up there shot and other groups will tell you to carry on, the sound of equipment doesn't bother them. Being on a private course now I know what some of the regular members like and adjust accordingly but on a public course your not seeing the same people every day. We can't be expected to read every golfers mind. If the noise of the beverage cart is going to bother you wait until it leaves before teeing off. When I'm out working I try to give the golfers the right of way and be invisible but not a day goes by where I'm not being blamed for a missed putt or a shanked drive. You can't make everyone happy out there but if you keep the majority happy I consider it a good day

goshawk
Jun 27, 2009, 07:19 AM
having worked on courses for over 10 years, it's not always a lack of knowledge for the game or lack of training. I've been chewed out by golfers for shutting my equipment down and waiting for them to play because they don't want me watching them, just want me gone. The next group I come across might get upset because I don't stop just pass by while their setting up there shot and other groups will tell you to carry on, the sound of equipment doesn't bother them. Being on a private course now I know what some of the regular members like and adjust accordingly but on a public course your not seeing the same people every day. We can't be expected to read every golfers mind. If the noise of the beverage cart is going to bother you wait until it leaves before teeing off. When I'm out working I try to give the golfers the right of way and be invisible but not a day goes by where I'm not being blamed for a missed putt or a shanked drive. You can't make everyone happy out there but if you keep the majority happy I consider it a good dayGood for you! And you're absolutely correct....you can't please everybody no matter what you do. Being a marshal, I've had people yell at me for sitting 20 yards behind them with the motor turned off hiding behind a bush or tree. "What the hell are you waiting for?" Give me a break! Am I supposed to leave the course so they can hit?

prohacker
Jun 27, 2009, 08:10 AM
She probably knew you guys were hackers LOL

Anthony
Jun 27, 2009, 09:01 AM
I can't take it anymore I can't keep quiet any longer.....:hush: There is a reason there are no Cart Girls whizzing around during the Masters. They are pros, you are not!!!! 95% of players are out for a fun round of golf and that can include drinks and food from a cart girl. The course also is looking at making money.

If you are so friggin serious about your golf game, that you can't take a mulligan, regroup, shrug your shoulders or just laugh when something like that happens join a private course, make sure they don't employee cart girls (most don't I think) or have them barred and play your "oh so serious" game.....

mark
Jun 27, 2009, 09:45 AM
I know, I know - many of you all look forward to the visits of the cute girls delivering your beer. You might even turn on the charm to maybe pursue a fantasy (see other thread on most amazing thing...)
But yesterday, one more event to make me grumpy - A cart girl who floors it to get to the next foursome to collect her next big tip. Not thinking (or knowing enough about the game) that maybe someone is teeing off.
Happened yesterday on a links course in the west part of GTA. I'm just coming off a hole won - back in the match, step up to the tee, get into my waggle, start the backswing and here she comes - and there it goes - into the LHS fescue.
Are these girls briefed on etiquette, or just on maxing out their income, or just that the golf course and the players don't matter, coz she's the star and it all is about her...

The other week playing at Tom O'Shanter and the cart girl ran the beer cart over the green--when we asked her why she said she had been hired that week and never been told that it was a "no-no"

just123123
Jun 28, 2009, 11:12 AM
having worked on courses for over 10 years, it's not always a lack of knowledge for the game or lack of training. I've been chewed out by golfers for shutting my equipment down and waiting for them to play because they don't want me watching them, just want me gone. The next group I come across might get upset because I don't stop just pass by while their setting up there shot and other groups will tell you to carry on, the sound of equipment doesn't bother them. Being on a private course now I know what some of the regular members like and adjust accordingly but on a public course your not seeing the same people every day. We can't be expected to read every golfers mind. If the noise of the beverage cart is going to bother you wait until it leaves before teeing off. When I'm out working I try to give the golfers the right of way and be invisible but not a day goes by where I'm not being blamed for a missed putt or a shanked drive. You can't make everyone happy out there but if you keep the majority happy I consider it a good day

Well said!

Thare's an old adage; "You can please some of the people most of the time; most of the people some of the time; but never all of the people all of the time".

Keep in mind that the OP (and some others) is sharing their experience with a cart person employed by a course they were playing and their perception of intent(or lack of experience) by the driver. I don't believe there is malicious intent in their posts. I do however, wonder how many times those self pro-claimed "experienced" golfers posting their negative comments have driven(raced?) up to the next tee box following behind "slow golfers" in an effort to consciously or sub-consciously send a message?
There is a huge difference between intentional and un-intentional cart behaviour. Most of us would be upset at cart drivers/talkers/coughers/ sneezers/whisperers... (fill in the rest of the "blanks" here...) inappropriate behaviour, especially on our backswing under any circumstance. But this is golf; ALWAYS BE NICE. That's what separates this game from the others. If inappropriate etiquette is not intentional and you're not playing in a tournament.... LIGHTEN-UP & BE NICE. If you have an opportunity to gently educate someone, then do it. OR, WAIT UNTIL THEY LEAVE & or RE-TEE!
:cookoo:

brianfrench
Jun 28, 2009, 11:17 AM
Good post - who doesn't look for a 3rd party reason for a bad shot - at all levels - look at Sergio, Tiger, Greg Norman, Montgomery and many other superstars that have come close to blows with fans.
I'm over it.

gr8glfr
Jun 28, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hate to chime in on this one but it is a double edged sword. The girls can't and probably won't get it right. If they make noise, they are chastized, if the don't make noise and you don't see them, they are chastized. I have been victims of both and I have come to realize that it is the "intent" that needs to be examined. Cart girls or guys do not, at least in my opinion, intentionally make excess noise just to pi$$ people off.
A little direction from time to time from the boss would help reduce mishaps and a little understanding and compromise from the golfer is also not a bad thing.
For me it all comes down to enjoying the game, whether it be a tournament or a friendly. For a few seconds of inconvennience, is it worth getting so worked up about?
I am a 6 cap and do play lots of tournament golf along with the friendlies.
Either situation its all good.

CWHBP
Jun 28, 2009, 06:20 PM
I perfer it when the bev carts make noise....makes me know a nice cold beer is close by...this isnt the PGA tour... a little noise doesnt hurt anyone....those who complain are just looking for an excuse for there poor play....most of these girls make 8 bucks an hour....cut them a break and just relax....lifes to short to be complaining about the noise from a bev cart

Big Shooter
Jun 28, 2009, 06:57 PM
We never have this type of problem with the girls at our club. That's because they don't come up from behind you and they always see what is out in front of them.

Yes they do, and yes she did, and she waited until all of us hit, then proceeded....I love Trillium Wood!! :)

p.s., The whole cart girl/other people talking, etc., really doesn't distract me all that much, I usually find that others who are distracted are looking for an EXCUSE why/how they missed their shot.
I've learned to play with distractions...Don Valley GC is below the 401!!

Anthony
Jun 28, 2009, 07:13 PM
Yes they do, and yes she did, and she waited until all of us hit, then proceeded....I love Trillium Wood!! :)

p.s., The whole cart girl/other people talking, etc., really doesn't distract me all that much, I usually find that others who are distracted are looking for an EXCUSE why/how they missed their shot.
I've learned to play with distractions...Don Valley GC is below the 401!!

Ah DV.... If ever there was a course where people loved to blame bad play on distractions.....:D I know I used to.... Can you imagine getting pissed shooting 110's back in the 70's blaming it on a car or golfer on another hole.....

Big Shooter
Jun 28, 2009, 08:06 PM
Ah DV.... If ever there was a course where people loved to blame bad play on distractions.....:D I know I used to.... Can you imagine getting pissed shooting 110's back in the 70's blaming it on a car or golfer on another hole.....

You play the "muni's" in Toronto, you get used to distractions PDQ....how about DENTONIA!!!??? :eek:

just123123
Jun 29, 2009, 04:16 PM
You play the "muni's" in Toronto, you get used to distractions PDQ....how about DENTONIA!!!??? :eek:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I played there once 100 year's ago. NOISE DISTRACTIONS!!!??? MORE LIKE ERRANT BALL ALERTS!!!

WILL
Jun 29, 2009, 04:24 PM
Is there some strange reason the cart has to move at all ???

Why not set up two stations, one on each nine that maybe you pass a couple times ?? Between those and the half way house I'm thinkin you should be good

Pros:

No cart to drive around and distract golfers.

Way less gas for said cart needed.

Golfers will know exactly where and when they can get refreshments

You can create an opportunity to make it virtually impossible for the attendant to get hit by a golf ball.

Cons:
You might need a replen cart with walkies

You might need to employ two cart attendants

goshawk
Jun 29, 2009, 04:35 PM
The voice of reason. I like that idea Will. Even on courses where it's not feasible because holes don't run parallel (like through housing developments), it's still a great idea.

prohacker
Jun 29, 2009, 04:55 PM
I love the cart-girls, when you tip them well, you get to see them every 2~3 holes :rofl::D:rofl:

The Troll
Jun 29, 2009, 05:30 PM
Cons:
You might need a replen cart with walkies

You might need to employ two cart attendants

Con #3 - If you park a cart at the intersection of two greens/tees you will have created constant noise. Teeing off and putting will mean that there will always be someone talking/whispering during your shot.

Tried this at my course....lasted less than three days.

WILL
Jun 29, 2009, 05:35 PM
Con #3 - If you park a cart at the intersection of two greens/tees you will have created constant noise. Teeing off and putting will mean that there will always be someone talking/whispering during your shot.

Tried this at my course....lasted less than three days.

50 yards away and you're golden. well ....... maybe not. I've heard some TGNers from further than that :hush: