PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Sun Again - Time For A Hat?

Tour50
Jun 25, 2009, 05:24 PM
Out golfing yesterday and got too much sun (despite sunscreen) again. I've started looking around at hats and I've passed on the standard hats and visors because they don't protect the ears. A friend of mine recommend Tilley http://www.tilley.com hats. Has any TGN'ers tried Tilley and what do you think of them?

Regards,
Dan :D

travis
Jun 25, 2009, 05:36 PM
Out golfing yesterday and got too much sun (despite sunscreen) again. I've started looking around at hats and I've passed on the standard hats and visors because they don't protect the ears. A friend of mine recommend Tilley http://www.tilley.com hats. Has any TGN'ers tried Tilley and what do you think of them?

Regards,

I haven't worn a tilley hat for years and years, but I can tell you I think a hat's the right decision...I played Sunday and Tuesday this week and after the round Tuesday went directly to Golf Town and picked up a hat. My forehead/nose got completely fried without burning, and I was a bag o crap the next day at work, completely drained.

ontario
Jun 25, 2009, 06:11 PM
They're pretty warm but you can soak it with water to keep your head really cool. Nice thing is the Tilley hats hold up to any abuse.

Maverickping
Jun 25, 2009, 06:49 PM
Maybe a better bang for your buck would be the Zero rainhat. One hat will do it all :)

Rick

Golftime
Jun 25, 2009, 07:41 PM
I have been wearing a Tilley this year. It gets a bit hot around the band but not more than a baseball style cap. Mine has the ventilation band so I often feel a bit of air circulating through it. It certainly covers the ears and forehead. Works well in the rain, the water just beads up on it.

swoard
Jun 25, 2009, 07:46 PM
Standard Tilly is pretty indestructible, but not the coolest thing around. There are lightweight ones with some mesh/ventilation and I might pick up one of those myself with all this heat!

Tour50
Jun 25, 2009, 07:47 PM
I have been wearing a Tilley this year. It gets a bit hot around the band but not more than a baseball style cap. Mine has the ventilation band so I often feel a bit of air circulating through it. It certainly covers the ears and forehead. Works well in the rain, the water just beads up on it.

I decided to give the LTM3 Airflow http://tilley.com/detail.asp?catId=&gender=&extractBy=CategoryId&id=1&productNo=LTM3 a try. It has the band of mesh around the crown for keeping cool. Got to be better than burning ears and forehead!

Regards,

Bellyhungry
Jun 25, 2009, 08:22 PM
If you wear a Tilly hat, I think you are allowed to wear cargo shorts and knee high socks on the golf course.

MichaelR
Jun 25, 2009, 08:27 PM
I decided to give the LTM3 Airflow http://tilley.com/detail.asp?catId=&gender=&extractBy=CategoryId&id=1&productNo=LTM3 a try.

Nice hat. Mine is an LTM5, which is very similar to the LTM3 but with a slightly more sculpted brim (including narrower side brim at 2 1/8" vs 2 3/8"). I have a musty old canvas T3 that was a mainstay for canoe trips, but I couldn't bring myself to wear it on the course...the airflows have a bit more class but perhaps not enough for some (many?).

I also use the Adidas bucket hat I got from GolfTown, a little more compact, resists rain well but no cooling vents. Scrunches up well for sticking in a pocket of the golf bag.

What price real protection?

Tour50
Jun 25, 2009, 08:29 PM
If you wear a Tilly hat, I think you are allowed to wear cargo shorts and knee high socks on the golf course.

What about a golf thong? :hyper:

prohacker
Jun 27, 2009, 08:14 AM
One of those straw hats.

averageatbest
Jun 27, 2009, 09:48 AM
I have started wearing a ball cap, as I have had really bad headaches after a couple rounds under the sun. Due to the sun beating down and prolly not enough water.

Its helped a lot.

golferboy
Jun 27, 2009, 11:46 AM
My dad just had part of his ear removed, due to skin cancer. You bet I will be wearing a bucket hat from now on....although the way my game has been going I am pretty safe in the trees.

crunch27
Jun 27, 2009, 04:58 PM
Maybe you can get someone to embroider "Titleist" or "Taylormade" or "Ping" or ............. something across the top and it won't look so bad.

Bad's not the right word.....I mean so Tilley. :rofl:

rgk5
Jun 27, 2009, 05:49 PM

And carry a flask. :rolleyes:

crunch27
Aug 16, 2009, 07:05 PM
Maybe you can get someone to embroider "Titleist" or "Taylormade" or "Ping" or ............. something across the top and it won't look so bad.

Bad's not the right word.....I mean so Tilley. :rofl:

Well, I have to apologize to all or any Tilley hat wearers out there. I have had two doses of liquid nitrogen treatments on my forehead and ears this summer and my Doctor said that I better be wearing protection (sun screen) and a wider hat.

I looked at the Tilley hats on Saturday and bought the straw Raffia hat version and played with it on today. Not sure if I was cool looking, but it sure was cool and had good ventilation. I think that I looked like a golfer from Tuscany, not from Texas, but I got the gears from the boys today. But they understand what I have been through this year. I have another treatment in October. This Tilley hat is here to stay.

crunch27
Aug 16, 2009, 07:07 PM
And carry a flask. :rolleyes:

Hey, that flask idea is a good one, Robert. :rofl:

blade_runner
Aug 16, 2009, 07:15 PM
Yup time for a bucket/tilley hat. I didn't think about my sunburned ears until my wife pointed 'em out to me.:rofl: I played last Friday at Cardinal East and at the turn, and despite adequate hydration, it was so hot I felt so drained and exhausted, I didn't care about my game any more......:D

Shake99
Aug 16, 2009, 09:01 PM
Check out Panama Jack Hats as well use one in Florida