PDA

View Full Version : weather network!!!! wtf?

caddishack
Jun 28, 2009, 07:33 PM
So anyways I check the weather network this morning just before heading out to St Andrews Valley and was happy to see that it called for light rain....1mm!!!! Well thank god I took all my rain equipment and umbrella. That was the most 1mm of rain I have ever witnessed. It started raining on the 8th hole and didnt stop until I got home after finishing the round. It was anything but light as well. I wonder how they did not know that there was a lot more than 1mm of rain coming? I have lost confidence in the reports.

Big Shooter
Jun 28, 2009, 08:12 PM
...don't get me started, I had planned on golfing Thursday thru Sunday this week in Belleville & east of there... according to the forecast from Environment Canada, it was at worst, 'partly cloudy'....guess they didn't see FRIDAY!? :mad:

Hombre Lefty
Jun 28, 2009, 08:42 PM
hey at least they screw up both ways! We had a tournament slated for this afternoon it said we would get drenched. Not a drop and the back nine was sunny and hot!

Leftygolfer30
Jun 28, 2009, 08:51 PM
So anyways I check the weather network this morning just before heading out to St Andrews Valley and was happy to see that it called for light rain....1mm!!!! Well thank god I took all my rain equipment and umbrella. That was the most 1mm of rain I have ever witnessed. It started raining on the 8th hole and didnt stop until I got home after finishing the round. It was anything but light as well. I wonder how they did not know that there was a lot more than 1mm of rain coming? I have lost confidence in the reports.

Try scheduling outside jobs and struggling to keep a half dozen customers happy all at the same time....

This constantly inconsistant weather is really f'n with my life lately :cool:

crunch27
Jun 28, 2009, 10:06 PM
Where else can you be wrong 50% of the time...... and keep your job. :rofl:

yako reflog
Jun 28, 2009, 10:44 PM
when I was in university I took a course in meteorology and to this day I remember Prof Gillespie talking about weather forecasting and his classic
line was " we can tell weather, we just can't tell when" :)

Big Shooter
Jun 29, 2009, 03:25 AM
Where else can you be wrong 50% of the time...... and keep your job. :rofl:

Major League Baseball, if your only good 30% of the time, you go to The Hall of Fame!!!

Faemow
Jun 29, 2009, 07:58 AM
You guys do know that the weather network has hourly trends? Started a round yesterday at 1230pm. Weather forecast said the rain would stop by 2pm, sure enough after the 4th hole the rain clouds went away. Since nobody was on the course we finished the round in less than 4hrs with some holes where we looked for balls

BdaGolfer
Jun 29, 2009, 08:02 AM
You guys do know that the weather network has hourly trends? Started a round yesterday at 1230pm. Weather forecast said the rain would stop by 2pm, sure enough after the 4th hole the rain clouds went away. Since nobody was on the course we finished the round in less than 4hrs with some holes where we looked for balls

Hourly trends are not much good when you're trying to plan a weekend a few days in advance. Heck, I think most of us could guess the weather an hour away with the same accuracy as the weatherman :D

Alan

Nemo Dat
Jun 29, 2009, 08:04 AM
I also checked out the hourly report for where I golfed and it was exactly right. It correctly predicted when the rain would start and stop. I find the hourly reports much more accurate than just looking at the morning or afternoon forecast.

MichaelR
Jun 29, 2009, 08:05 AM
I have lost confidence in the reports.

It's the weather, man! ;)

Faemow
Jun 29, 2009, 08:25 AM
Hourly trends are not much good when you're trying to plan a weekend a few days in advance. Heck, I think most of us could guess the weather an hour away with the same accuracy as the weatherman :D

Alan

That's true, but the weather ppl do predict the long term 7 day forecast. So when they say 'chances of rain for sunday' and its tuesday, you're taking that risk of booking the round for sunday.

I also found on theweathernetwork.com that their radar/satellite system has been updated to real time (maybe not new to you guys, but new to me) Who needs Michael Kuss now!

caddishack
Jun 29, 2009, 08:28 AM
If it is so difficult to predict the weather from 3hours before then why even bother trying to do 7 days, your only going to piss people off when your wrong.

MannyR
Jun 29, 2009, 09:22 AM
A meteorologist is a guy who can look into a girl's eyes and tell whether.

That's my pun for the day.

BdaGolfer
Jun 29, 2009, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=Faemow;421172]That's true, but the weather ppl do predict the long term 7 day forecast. So when they say 'chances of rain for sunday' and its tuesday, you're taking that risk of booking the round for sunday. QUOTE]

I know it's always taking a chance - after all it is the weather :D It's when they say one thing, change the forecast nineteen times before the actual day, and are still wrong :mad:

Most of the time I think they do a Steve Martin in LA Story - tape it in advance and go on vacation early!

Alan

averageatbest
Jun 29, 2009, 10:39 AM
They try to predict the unpredictable and have no accountability when they are wrong.

When they are Wrong - "Hey man sorry, its the weather!"
When they are Right - "Told ya! "

Bluefan75
Jun 29, 2009, 10:40 AM
I think the weathernetwork site is only barely acceptable. The hourly weather page is almost a joke. They will say showers for a 12 hour period if there is any chance of one 1/2 hour shower at any time.

The radars are horrible. They hardly tell you anything. You can see clouds. Whoopee, that doesn't tell you if you are looking at rain or not.

I always use this site: nws.noaa.gov . On the front page there is a picture of the US, with a bunch of tabs. Select the one that says Radar. Then hover over the US near the site you would want. For London the Detroit radar site is the best one. For Otter Creek Cleveland actually works better. For Toronto Buffalo is probably the best one. You can then select either the Composite or Base refelctivity loop on the left side, and you see which way a system's moving. It saved our butt a coupel of weeks ago. A system was over Detroit, London was clear, and had won gone by that we would have headed out to Otter Creek. But the strom was tracking along the north shore of Lake Erie and racing. Would have hit us on the 4th hole with a deluge.

Accuweather.com is pretty good as well. For London today they have a call for thunderstorms at 1 pm, and at 4pm, but 2-3 and 5-6 are sunny. The weather network is saying from 2-7 there will be thundertorms.

BdaGolfer
Jun 29, 2009, 12:57 PM
The current forecast for Milton just highlights the frustration & confusion that comes from even looking at a "forecast". Monday afternoon into Tuesday morning goes from thunder-showers (POP 80%) to cloudy with showers (POP 70%). Easy to understand, no? There's a good chance it will rain, especially if the cloudy showers are anything like yesterdays "cloudy showers".

However, directly below that is the 24-hour precipitation outlook, and they say "We don't expect any precipitation from Monday Afternoon to Tuesday Morning". WTF? :confused:

Somebody please put me out of my misery - what am I reading wrong here? Is it me? Am I not as smart as I used to think I was? :help:

Alan

ben_82
Jun 29, 2009, 01:05 PM
Use Environment Canada, and look at the Radar.

The weather network just grabs this information anyways.

Bluefan75
Jun 29, 2009, 02:20 PM
The current forecast for Milton just highlights the frustration & confusion that comes from even looking at a "forecast". Monday afternoon into Tuesday morning goes from thunder-showers (POP 80%) to cloudy with showers (POP 70%). Easy to understand, no? There's a good chance it will rain, especially if the cloudy showers are anything like yesterdays "cloudy showers".

However, directly below that is the 24-hour precipitation outlook, and they say "We don't expect any precipitation from Monday Afternoon to Tuesday Morning". WTF? :confused:

Somebody please put me out of my misery - what am I reading wrong here? Is it me? Am I not as smart as I used to think I was? :help:

Alan

Try a forecast calling for 25mm of rain, but with a 40% POP!! I can see a couple of mm maybe, but 25 and you aren't even certain there's a better chance it will rain than not?

corchard
Jun 29, 2009, 02:43 PM
The Weather network sucks!

The Environment Canada sucks!

Weather forecasters suck!

This weather sucks!

flyhigh
Jun 29, 2009, 02:56 PM
It's tough to predict long term weather but for 1-2 day weather or for the current day I find the aviation weather to be the best. AWWS has tons of tools to look at the weather but you sort of have to have an idea what some of the things mean. I agree that another good site that has radar and has plain language weather data is the weather office from environment canada. http://weatheroffice.gc.ca Very good radars.

just123123
Jun 29, 2009, 04:03 PM
I've got a Weather Rock. It's right 100% of the time guaranteed. NEVER FAILED EVER!

You place it outside in the garden. I just look out the window....If the rock is wet...IT' RAINING.....If it's white....IT'S SNOWING......If it's dry.....

Lefty17
Jun 29, 2009, 04:27 PM
Try The Weather Bug.

It gives out alot more then the Weather Network.

flyhigh
Jun 29, 2009, 06:33 PM
I've got a Weather Rock. It's right 100% of the time guaranteed. NEVER FAILED EVER!

You place it outside in the garden. I just look out the window....If the rock is wet...IT' RAINING.....If it's white....IT'S SNOWING......If it's dry.....

Something like this? :D

Hombre Lefty
Jun 29, 2009, 08:57 PM
All I know is the weather network's radar got me a rain free game today. Looked at the radar and satellite images, and also noticed that it listed niagara on the lake as only 30% chance of rain in mid afternoon, 10% the rest of the time. Compared to 90% chance of Noah's Ark in GTA.... we headed to Niagara. Played whirlpool and sure enough, not a drop. Windy as heck though.