PDA

View Full Version : Scrambles scores---Who gives a crap

megabeemer
Jun 30, 2009, 12:36 AM
So my buddy and I were paired up with this annoying older guy and his younger friend. (not at CL course)

For 6 holes they were bragging about shooting -18 in a 4 man scramble, describing every shot in detail, etc.

I'm thinking this happened last weekend or something like that.

Turns out this was 7 years ago. For heavens sake, I had to ignore these idiots as they sprayed the ball all over the course like an unneutered cat and talked about their scramble, like I care. After the sixth hole I hit my ball purposely away from theirs so I didn't have to talk to them for the last 12 holes. Even my friend who is way more tolerant than me was getting annoyed.

Losers, that is why I will NEVER play in a scramble. seeing losers like these two idiots living in the past. Scrambles are not golf anyways, it just stupid clogging up courses...Also, no more public courses for me the rest of the year. I just get fed up playing with retards and azz hats.

I bet he was the captain of the football team when he was in high school 50 years ago and still talking about it.

Worse thing was he talked like Bryan Murray with an annoying gurgling sound....

Now I understand why David Sims hates old people...

LOSERS! DIE!

I

Anthony
Jun 30, 2009, 06:27 AM
So my buddy and I were paired up with this annoying older guy and his younger friend. (not at CL course)

For 6 holes they were bragging about shooting -18 in a 4 man scramble, describing every shot in detail, etc.

Turns out this was 7 years ago. For heavens sake, I had to ignore these idiots as they sprayed the ball all over the course like an unneutered cat and talked about their scramble, like I care. After the sixth hole I hit my ball purposely away from theirs so I didn't have to talk to them for the last 12 holes. Even my friend who is way more tolerant than me was getting annoyed.

Losers, that is why I will NEVER play in a scramble. seeing losers like these two idiots living in the past. Scrambles are not golf anyways, it just stupid clogging up courses...Also, no more public courses for me the rest of the year. I just get fed up playing with retards and azz hats.

I bet he was the captain of the football team when he was in high school 50 years ago and still talking about it.

LOSERS! DIE!

I

Scrambles are for Charities, client or company events and gives the opportunity for beginners or occasional golfers a chance to play with friends, business colleagues..... in a fun situation for a worthy cause. Somewhere along the line, these events and the prizes became too big and enticing, charities added the "mulligan" and scores became lower and lower.

I play in a number and generally enjoy them (even with the 6 hour round). I don't agree with the prize distribution, but it is fun cheering on partners, playing generally from the fairway and the associated comraderie.

lelyflamingo
Jun 30, 2009, 06:48 AM
By that posting it sounds like there is only one loser, and it is not the persons you played with. Do you own a mirror?

Leftygolfer30
Jun 30, 2009, 06:55 AM

LOSERS! DIE!

I

I can understand you being frustrated by them telling the same story over and over but really calling them "idiots". Not everyone is a scratch golfer.

Also, FYI, statements like the one I bolded won't make you very many friends around here. I would hazard a guess that over 90% of the TGN membership are public players and we don't really like being called "retards" and "azz hats". :rolleyes:

rmunding
Jun 30, 2009, 07:09 AM
I can understand you being frustrated by them telling the same story over and over but really calling them "idiots". Not everyone is a scratch golfer.

Also, FYI, statements like the one I bolded won't make you very many friends around here. I would hazard a guess that over 90% of the TGN membership are public players and we don't really like being called "retards" and "azz hats". :rolleyes:

Well said, it doesnt matter where u play or what u play just have fun or do something else

LowPost42
Jun 30, 2009, 07:20 AM

LOSERS! DIE!

I

http://www.boreme.com/media/yr2008/fail2-1-1.jpg

AlfaGolfer
Jun 30, 2009, 07:26 AM

Thank you Lefty. Further, what % of the TGN membership might be considered "old"!:rolleyes:

megabeemer
Jun 30, 2009, 09:04 AM

I stand corrected that not ALL people who are public players are idiots, azzhats. I'd say 5% are, however at Lakeview (where we were playing) I'd say its a flip of the coin. (50/50).

It's not to say that at CL (Clublink)there aren't any azzhats. HOWEVER I can see the names on the tee sheet and change times or walk in and replay after a couple of holes if i don't like the gal/guy(s). Where as a public course it's kinda hard to do so if the tee sheet is booked. I'd like to make the call in picking a course, however my friends are not members anywhere and I let them make the call. (I love Osprey, very open, but they say its too far....)

With regards to older people, you'd think that they have better etiquette than younger ones. However it seems to me that the most problematic ones either have some sort of sense of entitlement because they are older OR they live in the past and re-live stories that probrably are not true anyways. I never have issues with younger guys, they seem to be very respectful of the courses and have good manners.

Making Friends here on an internet forum is overrated...

lelyflamingo
Jun 30, 2009, 09:28 AM
It is not about making friends here, not that it is a bad thing. It is about respecting the game and all of the players that try no matter what their skill level is. And from your comments it is apparent you do neither

mirak
Jun 30, 2009, 09:37 AM
I think you should take the same approach that you take on PUBLIC golf courses to PUBLIC golf forums.... and just don't visit... we certainly encourage people from expressing their opinions here, but when they seem to be as intolerant as you I guess they would be better served somewhere else....

Bellyhungry
Jun 30, 2009, 09:43 AM
I am lost as to what the OP intented to complain about...

Was it public courses, old players, or scramble tourneys?

megabeemer
Jun 30, 2009, 09:57 AM
It is not about making friends here, no that is a bad thing. It is about respecting the game and all of the players that try no matter what their skill level is. And from your comments it is apparent you do neither

I do not have to respect players that first of all are obnoxious on the golf course---invading my personal space (this guy was a close talker---bad breath too!). Does not respect the course (he was not fixing ball marks, NOT raking bunkers---I had to tell him to rake them, not replacing divots in fairways, etc). I do not respect people who talk in others back swing as this dummy did several times to all 3 of us at one point and one of them was his buddy!

I do not respect people who talk(yell!) a great game but can not back it up..This guy tried to give me unsolicited "tips" on the course when he was a so-so player. I don't think he broke 100.

Would you respect someone that doesn't respect the golf course or the partners you are paired up with? If so I don't respect you either.

Leftygolfer30
Jun 30, 2009, 10:02 AM
I do not have to respect players that first of all are obnoxious on the golf course---invading my personal space (this guy was a close talker---bad breath too!). Does not respect the course (he was not fixing ball marks, NOT raking bunkers---I had to tell him to rake them, not replacing divots in fairways, etc). I do not respect people who talk in others back swing as this dummy did several times to all 3 of us at one point and one of them was his buddy!

I do not respect people who talk(yell!) a great game but can not back it up..This guy tried to give me unsolicited "tips" on the course when he was a so-so player. I don't think he broke 100.

Would you respect someone that doesn't respect the golf course or the partners you are paired up with? If so I don't respect you either.

ALL of that information would have been EXTREMELY helpful going towards explaning your frustration. Your first post has you sounding like a pompous azz - which is why you received the responses you did.

It sounds like you should have excused yourself from playing with them after 9.

megabeemer
Jun 30, 2009, 10:04 AM
I think you should take the same approach that you take on PUBLIC golf courses to PUBLIC golf forums.... and just don't visit... we certainly encourage people from expressing their opinions here, but when they seem to be as intolerant as you I guess they would be better served somewhere else....

Yes I am intolerant, intolerant of people who are disrepectful to the golf course and the people they play with.

megabeemer
Jun 30, 2009, 10:06 AM
ALL of that information would have been EXTREMELY helpful going towards explaning your frustration. Your first post has you sounding like a pompous azz - which is why you received the responses you did.

It sounds like you should have excused yourself from playing with them after 9.

Sorry, you are right, I am a newbie posting here and I should have included these facts.

In hindslight we should have walked in after 9, BUT the course was busy (lakeview) and my friend had a family dinner to attend. And after 6 holes we decided to continue on and ignore the idiot.

I can be pompus, lol, but ONLY towards azzhats...

I suppose I was P/O'ed , ranting, and it was late at night...

But no excuses, I will write better, thank god I don't make a living writing!

goshawk
Jun 30, 2009, 12:01 PM
Scrambles are for Charities, client or company events and gives the opportunity for beginners or occasional golfers a chance to play with friends, business colleagues..... in a fun situation for a worthy cause. Somewhere along the line, these events and the prizes became too big and enticing, charities added the "mulligan" and scores became lower and lower.

I play in a number and generally enjoy them (even with the 6 hour round). I don't agree with the prize distribution, but it is fun cheering on partners, playing generally from the fairway and the associated comraderie.Anthony, you would have loved the prize distribution in the Breast Cancer tournament. The winning team got first choice and the "most honest team" got the second choice. Every other team went to the prize table by getting their score card drawn from a bucket. That's the way we've done it for 3 years now and everyone seems to love it.

crunch27
Jun 30, 2009, 12:01 PM
Intolerant people shouldn't be allowed on golf courses or 4-series highways.

Megabeemer.......if and when you ever grow up; you'll be an old person too.

tk1360
Jun 30, 2009, 12:21 PM
SCramble scores and formats are usually quite imaginative. I was in one a few weeks back and the winners came in with 22 under on a 7000yd course. that is birdies and eagles every time. Now even with 8 mulligans I find that suspect as one of their team was a newbie and another was just miserable as I warmed up beside him on the range and in a 45 minute session he may have had two good shots but really its more just for raising money. Was I annoyed YES. Would I return next year to play YES.

hogannut
Jun 30, 2009, 01:18 PM

LOSERS! DIE!

I

You may change your mind as you and/or your parents get older.

I understand older people can be annoying especially the ones who go on about things and tell you about the "good ol' days" but when these old people were young people they worked and built the society you now live in.

In many cultures old people are the highest respected people in the family/community. I'm sure it was annoying to hear about his hole by hole breakdown of his scramble, but give they guy a break.

Question for you.....who introduced you to golf? I will say it is a better than 50/50 chance it was your father or grandfather. Just remember that this guy could very well be somebodies grandfather, and I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate someone saying something like that to your grandfather.

i think wishing death on someone for being a blabber mouth is a bit extreme!:eek::hush:

guitarman
Jun 30, 2009, 03:32 PM
and I let them make the call. (I love Osprey, very open, but they say its too far....)

With regards to older people, you'd think that they have better etiquette than younger ones. However it seems to me that the most problematic ones either have some sort of sense of entitlement because they are older

For as many older people there are that think they have a sense of entitlement there are younguns that think they know it all.

mirak
Jun 30, 2009, 04:05 PM
For as many older people there are that think they have a sense of entitlement there are younguns that think they know it all.

Amen !!!

bythehour
Jun 30, 2009, 08:47 PM
The OP is doing nothing to dispell the myth that BMW drivers are a$$holes....

hannah
Jun 30, 2009, 10:06 PM
I stand corrected that not ALL people who are public players are idiots, azzhats. I'd say 5% are, however at Lakeview (where we were playing) I'd say its a flip of the coin. (50/50).

It's not to say that at CL (Clublink)there aren't any azzhats. HOWEVER I can see the names on the tee sheet and change times or walk in and replay after a couple of holes if i don't like the gal/guy(s). Where as a public course it's kinda hard to do so if the tee sheet is booked. I'd like to make the call in picking a course, however my friends are not members anywhere and I let them make the call. (I love Osprey, very open, but they say its too far....)

With regards to older people, you'd think that they have better etiquette than younger ones. However it seems to me that the most problematic ones either have some sort of sense of entitlement because they are older OR they live in the past and re-live stories that probrably are not true anyways. I never have issues with younger guys, they seem to be very respectful of the courses and have good manners.

Dam, III be 56 in 2 weeks, I'm not playing with any body on this dam forum anymore unless your 50+ :rofl:, Manny, its just you and I now, I think we better invest in a scooter to keep up with these young well mannered punks:D

Chambokl
Jun 30, 2009, 10:15 PM

I was thinking the same thing...:rofl:

WILL
Jun 30, 2009, 10:23 PM
Dam, III be 56 in 2 weeks, I'm not playing with any body on this dam forum anymore unless your 50+ :rofl:, Manny, its just you and I now, I think we better invest in a scooter to keep up with these young well mannered punks:D

I'll still take yer money, old man. :p You got a game for tomorrow?

golf nut
Jun 30, 2009, 10:30 PM
The difference between a BMW and a porcupine is that a porcupine has the pryck on the outside.

WILL
Jun 30, 2009, 10:35 PM
The difference between a BMW and a porcupine is that a porcupine has the pryck on the outside.

What's your winter beater again ?? LOL Mercedez?

golf nut
Jun 30, 2009, 10:46 PM
What's your winter beater again ?? LOL Mercedez?I drive a gas guzzling Ford piece of something, one of the smartest vehicles in the world, it can do everything from open and close every window, tell me the temperature in Mongolia,alert me to aliens and slow playing golfers, track my handicap to fold up the mirrors, yes some smart a$$ decided to forget to put a low oil sensor in it....

Weirfan
Jun 30, 2009, 11:04 PM
Scrambles serve a purpose.....they are generally fund raisers , often for charity or they are company outings.

In both cases they allow golfers who may only golf once a year a chance to go out and play without any pressure or need to have to hit every shot.

I play in about 5 a year , so far this year have been in 3 and our group has won 2 of them...........as for scores almost always the winning score will be -13 to -18 without mulligans and I have seen lower with mully's...mully's cost so bring in more for the charity

it does not take great golfers to post a decent score so the old fart you played with could be telling the truth....as an example our group shot a -18 at Station Creek ( long course) in the Hooters tourney 4 or 5 years ago.....there was only one single digit capper at an 8 and two were over 20 cappers.

we will often talk of that tourney but not about the scores we shot:rofl::rolleyes:

crunch27
Jun 30, 2009, 11:44 PM

Damn, I'll be 56 in 3 weeks, the 23rd. I know you're older, but will you play golf with this young gun. :D

Shake99
Jul 1, 2009, 01:02 PM

Well it is certainly not something you are going to have to worry about. But you might want to reflect on wrapping your personna in an over priced piece of metal. Since you use that to define yourself it is no wonder the rest of the comments coming from you.

You may want to look up the word respect in websters since you certainly seem to have missed it in your education along the way.

bigshot
Jul 1, 2009, 03:51 PM

Turns out this was 7 years ago.

So my brother and I were paired up with this annoying younger guy and his older friend at Royal Ashburn on the weekend.

While waiting on the first tee the younger guy asks what tees we're playing. I say whites are long enough for me. He proceeds to brag about how long he hits it but since his older buddy and we are all playing whites he doesn't want to be the only one playing blues .... looking at the card he comments that even his wife can hit 6000 yards .... yada yada yada

- I hit a decent ball straight down the middle with my 3 hybrid,
- my brother hits it long into the trees on the right ...
- then the young buck lets it RIIIIIIIPPPPPP ...... and ........ lands the ball ...... just past the forward tees :rolleyes::rofl::rofl::rofl:
- His older buddy hits a beauty drive on the left side of the fairway leaving himself a perfect view of the green for his second shot!

In the cart my younger brother says to me .... "its the quiet old guys you have to worry about - this one has game".

The rest of the round the young guy keeps hitting the ball long BUT usually into the woods (mostly huge pulls) while his older friend hits it down the middle most of the time.