PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Elbow

hannah
Jul 3, 2009, 09:10 AM
Boy this is getting me down lately, my left arm is hurting so much and looks like a little footbal.

My Dr. is telling me to rest and ice and anti inflamatory drugs that just block me up.

The irons are pretty good but my tee box game is hurting, I even have a hard time lifting the club off the ground with my left arm, I have to put my right hand on the shaft to lift the club up:(

Been going on for a mth now and I refuse to lay off the game, the irons aren't too bad but the longer clubs are killing me, I know people have said accupucture, joint building drugs and resistant massage.

I have no time to go for massages, hate drugs and the last time I went for accupucture I sat up and pulled everyone of those stupid little needles out of my legs and left mumbling Witch Dr. to to the guy:rolleyes:.

Im just venting here because its depressing, as soon as I hold the club with my left hand and take it back I feel the pain in my arm - elbow, as soon as I squeeze the grip a bit.

Anyway, sorry that Im venting here, Tom:(

Weirfan
Jul 3, 2009, 09:39 AM
sorry to hear of your troubles but doc is right.....

rest, ice , a few gentle stretches and anti-inflammatories are what is required.

tennis elbow or the correct name epicondylitis ( lateral = outside or medial = inside of the arm) is a very common condition in sports that require repetitive gripping and arm movements.

as the term says....."itis" refers to inflammation and this is typically where the many tendons of the forearm ( medial or lateral ) attach to the bone , also know as the medial and lateral epicondyle.

foolow the docs advice and don't play ....rest is key and that can mean being careful around the house etc for a short time so as not to aggravate things.

once it gets better exercises and stretching as well as a course of advil before you play might be indicated as the condition has a habit of returning.

also look into something called a LAS strap....this is a starp that wraps around the arm and places pressure on the muscle/tendon before it reaches the insertion on the bone so helps to reduce the pulling and tearing of the fibers at the insertion on the epicondyle. They work but be caustious as there are many that out there that are not good ones....

I was a competive javelin thrower for many years through high school , University and beyond and had a couple bouts of very severe medial epicodylitis ( once b4 a big international competion :() that required cortisone shots, ypu don't want to get to that ...so look after it and all the best

jmac
Jul 3, 2009, 09:56 AM
That sucks.

Ice really can make a big improvement but most people don't ice aggressively enough. Basically, ice the crap out of it whenever possible (20min. on -- 15 min. off) Do this over and over. If you can get a minimum of 3-5 of these rotations per day you should feel some improvement. And you can't ice too much (as long as you take the 15 min. breaks to let your arm warm up.)

Use the ice gel packs. And place a wet paper towel between your arm and the pack. It will be COLD but the freezing feeling will go away after 5 minutes or so. You might need to get a tensor bandage to keep the ice pack in place because the pack wants to slide off that part of your arm. Once you have it secured you can basically go on with your day, you don;t have to just sit there doing nothing.

Although you don't have time, Massage therapy would be helpful, the one I go to does good work with tendons (friction therapy or something it's called, I saw Vijay getting the same thing done last year before a round). My girl is located at a clinic in Bramalea City Centre. And you would only need 30 min. appointments. PM me if you want her details.

Big Shooter
Jul 3, 2009, 11:37 AM
No golf for YOU until the Ridge....Big Shooters orders!!! ;)

hannah
Jul 3, 2009, 12:13 PM
No golf for YOU until the Ridge....Big Shooters orders!!! ;)

I've tryed not to play but no luck, I went to Taboo with Francis yesterday and it was the first time I have been rained out in 15 yrs, after 4 holes we called it quits with being decked out with rain gear, bucket hat and everything we couldn't go on.

Let me tell you after 4 holes I had a hard time lifting the club with my left arm, Francis looked at my arm and realilized it was slightly swollen!! and it was just not my massive forearms he was looking at:D

Back to the anti inflamatory drugs for a while and try not to touch a club for a week or so:help:

Can't wait for the Ridge:hyper:

caddishack
Jul 3, 2009, 01:57 PM
Tennis elbow is a real drag. I had it in both arms last year, but mine doesn't get so bad that I cant play, I just suffer after the round lol. Over the winter it goes away for me. This year, so far so good.

MannyR
Jul 3, 2009, 02:24 PM
Tom...sorry to hear that.
Hope you take the docs advice and rest. We need you at Eagle's Nest.

hannah
Jul 3, 2009, 02:24 PM
Tennis elbow is a real drag. I had it in both arms last year, but mine doesn't get so bad that I cant play, I just suffer after the round lol. Over the winter it goes away for me. This year, so far so good.

I had it in my right arm last yr and was able to play but this yr it's in my leading arm and killing me.

No more blucking laying stones for me, III hire someone.:D

Netz
Jul 3, 2009, 03:02 PM
I have had this both golfing and curling and the tensor underneath the elbow helps it every time, no Ibuprofin or anything else, just the tensor.

imAnewbie
Jul 3, 2009, 03:52 PM
Hope all is well for that injury. Lots of rest I guess will help. Don't push it too hard, it might end up getting worse and will take out GOLF out even further. Hope it heals up very soon!:D

hogannut
Jul 3, 2009, 04:23 PM
Boy this is getting me down lately, my left arm is hurting so much and looks like a little footbal.

My Dr. is telling me to rest and ice and anti inflamatory drugs that just block me up.

The irons are pretty good but my tee box game is hurting, I even have a hard time lifting the club off the ground with my left arm, I have to put my right hand on the shaft to lift the club up:(

Been going on for a mth now and I refuse to lay off the game, the irons aren't too bad but the longer clubs are killing me, I know people have said accupucture, joint building drugs and resistant massage.

I have no time to go for massages, hate drugs and the last time I went for accupucture I sat up and pulled everyone of those stupid little needles out of my legs and left mumbling Witch Dr. to to the guy:rolleyes:.

Im just venting here because its depressing, as soon as I hold the club with my left hand and take it back I feel the pain in my arm - elbow, as soon as I squeeze the grip a bit.

Sorry to hear this. I have it both elbows. However with exercises and tensor bandages I have been able to keep playing.

If you doctor says it isn't to bad try some wrist curls with very light weights....no more than 5 pounds to start. Also try squeezing a rubber ball, that is really good too! Hope you feel better.

hannah
Jul 3, 2009, 04:40 PM
Sorry to hear this. I have it both elbows. However with exercises and tensor bandages I have been able to keep playing.

If you doctor says it isn't to bad try some wrist curls with very light weights....no more than 5 pounds to start. Also try squeezing a rubber ball, that is really good too! Hope you feel better.

Very hard to make a fist, hurts like hell when I squeeze a rubber ball, I have been wearing a arm support but not helping, going to try the one that goes over the elbow and sits below and above the elbow.

I was laying drive ways stones and lifting them one at a time towards me with my left arm about a mth and half ago and thats how I hurt it.

I can't even carry a bag of grocies with that arm, isn't it something how we take things for granted, the winter is fine and this happens during the golf season.

Been out with a few people and just fine myself whinning about it all the time, thats why I've been playing by myself for the most part, embarrassed when I throw the driver at the ball with my right hand because the lead arm hurts too much bringing the club down and then top the ball or whatever, was driving the ball so weel at the beginning of the season.

I've tryed to shorted the iron swing, short irons ok but as soon as I try to use a longer club Im dead, someone said walk away for a while, I just can't do that, I miss it too much if I don't play that week:(

racmbs
Jul 3, 2009, 04:50 PM
Tom...I'd say if you quit playing tennis, it would stop hurting no?

:D

MannyR
Jul 3, 2009, 05:24 PM
Tom, you're no spring chicken, what the heck you doing lifting paving stones...you pay people to do that so you have time to golf!

Hey I buy snow insurance, if it snows my insurance company sends someone to clean my driveway.

Your body is telling you to take it easy so you can enjoy the TGN event. You listen to the little lady now listen to your body.

jcggolfer
Jul 3, 2009, 05:38 PM
Ok now this goes back a long time but I know that these braces still exist. Its called the Lastrap by Coopercare. I had a bad case of Tennis elbow 20 yrs ago playing tennis and this forearm strap has a gel type liner and I tell you it worked like a charm. Alowed me to play yet still took the pain away.

http://www.coopercare.ca/

coe14
Jul 3, 2009, 05:39 PM
Very hard to make a fist, hurts like hell when I squeeze a rubber ball, I have been wearing a arm support but not helping, going to try the one that goes over the elbow and sits below and above the elbow.

I was laying drive ways stones and lifting them one at a time towards me with my left arm about a mth and half ago and thats how I hurt it.

I can't even carry a bag of grocies with that arm, isn't it something how we take things for granted, the winter is fine and this happens during the golf season.

Been out with a few people and just fine myself whinning about it all the time, thats why I've been playing by myself for the most part, embarrassed when I throw the driver at the ball with my right hand because the lead arm hurts too much bringing the club down and then top the ball or whatever, was driving the ball so weel at the beginning of the season.

I've tryed to shorted the iron swing, short irons ok but as soon as I try to use a longer club Im dead, someone said walk away for a while, I just can't do that, I miss it too much if I don't play that week:(

UR done for the season or done for longer. It's up to you.

Onin3
Jul 3, 2009, 09:28 PM
I've had this now for 5 years, all I can say is if you play through it you will adjust. Take the winter off no Mats at all ever.
It will hurt more when you dont play and off season when it really swells up. I have to wear the prescription pads on both arms above the elbow and I hate it. This year I tried playing without them and within 2 weeks I had near full blown affects again. So they do help as much as they are an eyesore.
Have a pro look at your golfswing, its often a catylist to this problem. In my case going past parallel caused undue stress on the elbows and then geting quick on the way back and down caused me to miss behind the ball. All of that has gotten better now and so has have my injuries.
I later went on to develop rotater cuff problems as well so this can get uglier before it gets better. Have your swing looked at and tell the pro your injuries. Use Ice when it hurts after a round and get a prescription for the elbow pads.

sharkhark
Jul 3, 2009, 09:55 PM
i have had this and it hurts like hell..i have to ask tom...have you taken a significant i.e. two mth time off yet?
all the advice in the world are not going to mean diddly on fixing you if not.
I symphathize, but if you truly are suffering, you are only doing it to yourself. It must be rest, it must be for a long time with absolutely no golf...or you are going to aggravate it more and think in off season you can rest then, but will have damaged even worse, possibly beyone repair.

Gotta rest it, only fix that works, not just ice, acupuncture etc etc.

WILL
Jul 3, 2009, 10:14 PM
My right arm was in the same boat. Couldn't even grip the club with my right hand when we played Turtle Creek. Good thing the course stinks or I would have felt bad about struggling to hold the club.

hannah
Jul 3, 2009, 11:57 PM
I was putting balls at Fairtree tonight and was talking to John about this, he was in the PGA van and they were telling him as he was having problems like this to get a wrist band.

The one that goes around your thumb, hand and wrist to immobilize your wrist so it doesn't move wear it for 4 days to a week, ice it at night and take 2 Ibuprofen.

He did this and worked great, they were telling him that too many people put arm bands on and forget that the Tendons are hurting because all the movement is coming from the wrists as we move it.

This makes a lot of sense, will go to the health care store in the morning and do this, I would think the guys in the PGA tour Van have a idea what they are talking about.

I guess my putting will get better in the next week or so:D, when I think of it all the movement does come from our wrist and all the tendons are connected.

John was telling me this is what he did and it worked like a charm, OK, maybe this and not touching the clubs for a week will help, thanks for all the comments and will let you know if this helps. :):hyper:

I also know that I have not helped the situation by still persisting to play but we all understand how hard it is not to go out and play, just turn the page if my whining starts to bother anyone.:D

TourIQ
Jul 3, 2009, 11:58 PM
Anyway, sorry that Im venting here, Tom:(Tom my son had pain in his elbow from a very strong grip. I guess his joints were not in their best ergonomic position. Pain went away when he learned to hit a ball with a neutral grip. Also he has been playing Sensicore (earlier) and Pro-Soft (now) in all clubs steel shafted which kills 50% of the vibration. He can never hit off mats over the winter, as the pain returns but has no pain now hitting off of real grass.

TommyGunz
Jul 5, 2009, 09:40 AM

No doubt rest and ice are the way to go, maybe go see a physiotherapist. I had the same problem in the spring mainly due to my new job. First time it has ever bothered me! I went to GT and bought the Trionz bracelet for 25 bucks. It seems to help, or my brain thinks it helps. Building up the muscle around the joint couldn't hurt either.

Chambokl
Jul 5, 2009, 05:10 PM
Tom my son had pain in his elbow from a very strong grip. I guess his joints were not in their best ergonomic position. Pain went away when he learned to hit a ball with a neutral grip. Also he has been playing Sensicore (earlier) and Pro-Soft (now) in all clubs steel shafted which kills 50% of the vibration. He can never hit off mats over the winter, as the pain returns but has no pain now hitting off of real grass.

Tom, for me I got graphite shaft in my irons and pain was gone... same idea as TourIQ...

golfmama
Jul 5, 2009, 06:25 PM
There is a product on the market that allows women to soak their hands or feet in wax, which goes along way when it comes too injury. hot wax does wonders for injury as does whirlpool etc.
im sure if you get one of the wax therapy units you can use it on your elbow to acheive the same results as you would with your hands or feet! Some spas have hot mud soaks, or wax therapy as well. Spas are a great place to relax and help heal injuries. placing hot river rocks on a injured part of your body also works well. try it. what have you got too loose?

TourIQ
Jul 5, 2009, 07:15 PM
Tom, for me I got graphite shaft in my irons and pain was gone... same idea as TourIQ...Pro-Soft inserts in steel shafts will reduce 50+% of the vibration back to the hands and joins where as graphite is probably closer to 70% but a lot more expensive to reshaft :D Pro-soft is cheap to do once the grips are off.

chrisw
Jul 5, 2009, 09:21 PM
It sounds like you actually have golfer's elbow, fairly common. Go to your local drug store and grab a band for this. I'm not sure what it's called but its like a heavy tensor bandage with a built-in oval ball inside. It's held with velcro and wraps around your arm near the elbow. I had this pain in a bad way last year and it really works. Worth trying. Good luck!

nearace
Sep 3, 2009, 07:01 PM
there is a cure for tennis elbow
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-tennis-elbow/

Onin3
Sep 3, 2009, 09:52 PM
Right now my foot hurts, my shoulder hurts, both elbows and my knee.

Is there a cure for all of that?- I know dont golf all the time.

sharkhark
Sep 4, 2009, 12:32 AM
there is a cure for tennis elbow
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-tennis-elbow/
wow, that is pretty exciting if it works. such a simple product. now i have to find out where i could get one. i read that you should start with the red one. a whole bunch of US sellers but with higher shipping to here. maybe someone knows of a local place or cdn seller?

ps thanks so much, i will also tell my best friend who is undergoing expensive treatments as we speak.

Big Shooter
Sep 4, 2009, 01:18 AM
Right now my foot hurts, my shoulder hurts, both elbows and my knee.

Is there a cure for all of that?- I know dont golf all the time.

http://www.nba.biz/media/magic/AleveColorLogo.png