Collapse

driver head size

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• driver head size

so when i'm at golf town, i see various club head size for the drivers, 400cc, 460cc, etc...so what's the advantages and disadvantages of bigger or smaller club head?

Re: driver head size

A bigger clubhead normally means bigger sweetspot. Making solid contact should be easier. Smaller clubheads typically allow more workability.
    Cobra S2 10.5 - Stock Fuji
    Cobra Baffler TWS 20 - Aldila NVS
    Cobra Baffler TWS 23 - Aldila NVS
    5-PW Mizuno MX23 - DGS300
    Mizuno MP-R 52.07 - DGS300
    X-Forged MD 56 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
    X-Forged MD 60 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
    Odyssey Black Tour Design #9
    Titleist ProV1x

Comment

any effect on your swing speed or path? bigger heads normally weight a bit more don't they?
      Feherty: " 270 to carry the water, you might want to lay up SnowFlake "

Comment

Yes, bigger sweet spot for bigger drivers, assuming it's the same model (eg. TM540XD at 400cc vs. TM580XD at 440cc). From personal experience, bigger drivers heads are easier to make consistent contact due to bigger sweet spot, but, also more prone to hitting duck hooks if you're someone with problems hooking. For small heads, easier to work the ball, hitting fades and draws, however, for beginners, is also easier to get under the ball and hit skying drives that don't get much distance.

Comment

bigger head require a bit more flat swing. I don't believe bigger heads weight more. I've never weighted them, but they don't feel heavier. They simply have a difference weight distribution.

Originally posted by Ego Woods
          any effect on your swing speed or path? bigger heads normally weight a bit more don't they?

Comment

Stronger metals are being used to build drivers nowadays, allowing thinner walls and lighter heads. If you've ever held a PGA players driver, you'll find that they're sometimes heavier than what we buy off the shelf. I don't know if they're built that way or if the weight is added on the tour vans.

When it comes to weight, I believe it's the same principle as a putter. Everyone thinks that having a lighter putter on fast greens is better since you won't hit the ball as hard and it's easier to control distance. I think that a heavy putter will keep your swing on path causing pure and straight contact. When I was trying out a bunch of irons earlier this season the first thing I noticed was the different weights of the all the heads. If you get the chance to hit the Mizuno MP30's and Nike Pro Combos you'll see what I mean. The MP30's are much heavier than the Nikes. Personally, I prefer that because it allows me to feel where the clubhead is through out the swing.
            Food for thought.
            Cobra S2 10.5 - Stock Fuji
            Cobra Baffler TWS 20 - Aldila NVS
            Cobra Baffler TWS 23 - Aldila NVS
            5-PW Mizuno MX23 - DGS300
            Mizuno MP-R 52.07 - DGS300
            X-Forged MD 56 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
            X-Forged MD 60 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
            Odyssey Black Tour Design #9
            Titleist ProV1x

Comment

so when i'm at golf town, i see various club head size for the drivers, 400cc, 460cc, etc...so what's the advantages and disadvantages of bigger or smaller club head?
              Regardless of the size of a club head there is only one sweet spot commonly referred to as the centre of percussion(percussion centre). Those who say that a particular club has a larger sweet spot are marketers trying to sell you their wares. What is beneficial, however, is the heads resistance to twisting or Moment of Inertia. The larger the head, the higher the MOI.

What this simply means is that if I hit a 300 cc driver 1/2" from the PC/sweet spot, the head will twist a certain amount. If I hit a 460 CC driver 1/2" from PC/sweet spot, the head will twist less. With the latter the degree of "badness" of the shot is lessened. I use an SMT 455 Deep Bore driver and cannot believe that I can hit the ball 1+ inches off centre and still get good distance and accuracy.

Driver heads are all within a few grams of each other and that is around or just under 200 grams. With the advent of stronger and lighter alloys being used in heads these days, head size has grown greatly, but is restricted to 460 cc's with an upwards tolerance of an extra 10 cc's. Also, as of January 1, 2005, all drivers must be no longer than 48". This year all newly manufactured clubs had to be 48" or less, but those manufactured prior to '04 could have been any length.

I am not sure why a larger club head requires a flatter swing. If the club is longer the swing is naturally flatter, but not because of the size of the head.

Lastly, the comments about the Mizuno's versus the Nike irons are interesting. Iron heads are each manufactured to a standard weight for each number, plus or minus a gram. If the swing weight of one is "heavier" than the another, it is because the club is assembled at a longer length, the grip may be lighter, lead or tungsten powder, or a weight plug may have been added to the hosel bore, or the shaft is heavier. A few years ago it was possible to get graphite shaft weighted heads, which were a few grams heavier to offset the lightness of the graphite shaft, but this was done by a couple of component companies. Most clubs are still swingweight matched, but this method, while inexpensive and not time consuming to do, is of little benefit. Instead, if clubs were MOI matched, they would be a little easier to swing, however, this breaks with tradition, is not understood by many and is more time consuming to do.

Ain't golf wonderful??

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X