Mar 16, 2010, 10:26 AM
HE's BAAAACCKK

YESSSSSSSs

Broadcasting in 3D!!
Maybe I'll hang out at the Sony store

golfnguru
Mar 16, 2010, 10:28 AM
Here is his statement:
"The Masters is where I won my first major and I view this tournament with great respect. After a long and necessary time away from the game, I feel like I'm ready to start my season at Augusta.
"The major championships have always been a special focus in my career and, as a professional, I think Augusta is where I need to be, even though it's been a while since I last played.
"I have undergone almost two months of inpatient therapy and I am continuing my treatment. Although I'm returning to competition, I still have a lot of work to do in my personal life.
"When I finally got into a position to think about competitive golf again, it became apparent to me that the Masters would be the earliest I could play. I called both Joe Lewis and Arnold Palmer and expressed my regrets for not attending the Tavistock Cup and the Arnold Palmer Invitational. I again want to thank them both for their support and their understanding. Those are fantastic tournaments and I look forward to competing in them again.
"I would also like to thank the Augusta National members and staff for their support. I have deep appreciation for everything that they do to create a wonderful event for the benefit of the game."

Samick
Mar 16, 2010, 10:29 AM
Link to news release?

I see it around every now and then, and I dont wish the guy any harm or anything like that, but I just cant understand the NEED that some people have for Tiger to dominate golf. I'll be the first to admit the guy is phenominal...but to hear some say that they cant wait for Tiger to come back and destroy everybody else, all the time, by 10 shots....I dont understand it.

I would much rather have a 4 hole playoff, with 5 Tour Players, than a runaway tournament.

Just my $0.02.

*EDIT* Thanks golfnguru for posting.

tk1360
Mar 16, 2010, 10:30 AM
http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010/03/16/tiger-woods-the-orlando-magic-dancers-in-07/
http://www.gossipcop.com/tiger-woods-returning-for-the-masters/
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/pga/2010-03-16-tiger-woods-returns_N.htm
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/golf/tiger-woodss-statement/article1502056/

For those that care. Looking on google the newsfeed was literally spitting out crap when I typed in TW. lol

Weirfan
Mar 16, 2010, 10:33 AM
Link to news release?

I see it around every now and then, and I dont wish the guy any harm or anything like that, but I just cant understand the NEED that some people have for Tiger to dominate golf. I'll be the first to admit the guy is phenominal...but to hear some say that they cant wait for Tiger to come back and destroy everybody else, all the time, by 10 shots....I dont understand it.

I would much rather have a 4 hole playoff, with 5 Tour Players, than a runaway tournament.

Just my $0.02.

I doubt that will happen at Augusta if ever.........he wins the Masters by 10 shots and I'll quit TGN:rofl:

IMO, greater chance he will miss the cut than win by 10

Bwadd
Mar 16, 2010, 10:44 AM
I doubt that will happen at Augusta if ever.........he wins the Masters by 10 shots and I'll quit TGN:rofl:

ROFLMAO.... me too!:rofl:

I'm just waiting on Pingnut to drop off my box of balls.....:)

BowmanvilleJim
Mar 16, 2010, 10:46 AM
As great as Tiger may be his game will not be competition sharp and he will have the added issues of dealing with a lot more press than normal.

He will make the cut but he won't be factor on sunday.

GAME
Mar 16, 2010, 10:53 AM
im surprised he's not getting a warmup tourney in, last time he came back from the long layoff ( i believe his dads passing ) he missed the cut.

golfnguru
Mar 16, 2010, 10:55 AM

He's already done that.

and never missed the cut as a pro.

http://www.augusta.com/masters/history/leaderboards/1997leaderboard.shtml

Pingnut
Mar 16, 2010, 10:56 AM
ROFLMAO.... me too!:rofl:

I'm just waiting on Pingnut to drop off my box of balls.....:)

hmm.. I was just going to ask you what kind of balls you will be dropping off for me :D

So what are my choices- LOL

Andru
Mar 16, 2010, 10:57 AM
As great as Tiger may be his game will not be competition sharp and he will have the added issues of dealing with a lot more press than normal.

He will make the cut but he won't be factor on sunday.

The good news for Tiger is Augusta has limited press passes and it's usually full so there won't be an increased number of media IN the facility.

I agree he'll be rusty

I'm glad he's back. We won't have to wonder why he layed up on a par 5 when a shot down on Sunday. He'll be playing to win. I'm curious to see if he's changed as a golfer. So much to talk about. I think I'm taking masters week off.

beachgolfer
Mar 16, 2010, 11:09 AM
I guess he'll be spared a lot of heckling and the groups of bevvied up jokers in blond wigs and false boobs at Augusta.
I can't wait for the Open, the St Andrews students and something along the lines of that "19th hole" streaker!!!:rofl:

BowmanvilleJim
Mar 16, 2010, 11:15 AM
Augusta is a good spot for him to come back. The crowds will be respectful and behaved. The media won't ask too many hard questions and you can bet no one from TMZ gets press credentials.

Weirfan
Mar 16, 2010, 11:23 AM
He's already done that.

sure and John Daly won a few Majors as well...

That is all History.

happy to make a bet with you if you are so confident in the boy....

If Tiger misses the cut you pay me,

If Tiger wins by 10 or more I pay you....

$100 , couple dozen balls ....name it

golfnguru
Mar 16, 2010, 11:32 AM

That is all History.

Gambling is illegal at TGN sir, and Tiger never misses the cut. ;)

But realistically after all that has happened and the fact that he hasn't played and isn't getting laid, I think a top ten would be a good acheivement.

If you don't think he will make the cut, I will bet the other side.

Bellyhungry
Mar 16, 2010, 11:38 AM
The Masters are full of old fogies, that should help him with respect to making the cut.

I just hooked someone up from work to attend Sunday at the Masters. He is going to owe me till eternity.

Weirfan
Mar 16, 2010, 11:41 AM
Gambling is illegal at TGN sir, and Tiger never misses the cut. ;)

But realistically after all that has happened and the fact that he hasn't played and isn't getting laid, I think a top ten would be a good acheivement.

If you don't think he will make the cut, I will bet the other side.

LOL, not willing to write him off that much....I just said that I feel there is a greater chance he misses the cut than wins by 10 to shut the idiocy up

One thing for certain...........Cougars from all over will be descending upon Augusta knowing Tiger will be there......to soon be known as Cougartown:rofl:

mrvelani
Mar 16, 2010, 11:58 AM

That is all History.

I don't think he'd appreciate you calling him that word, actually neither do I. It just brings back a whole bunch of bad memories of what was passed.

Maybe you didn't mean it in the way it sounds but it still sounds that way.

Bern
Mar 16, 2010, 12:05 PM
He's already done that.

http://www.augusta.com/masters/history/leaderboards/1997leaderboard.shtml

He missed the cut at Turnberry last year and after his dad passed away in 2006.

guitarman
Mar 16, 2010, 12:06 PM

That is all History.

That hardly seems like a fair bet with the other guy taking all the risk. It should be Tigers misses cut, he pays. Tiger makes the cut, you pay.

guitarman
Mar 16, 2010, 12:08 PM
I don't think he'd appreciate you calling him that word, actually neither do I. It just brings back a whole bunch of bad memories of what was passed.

A lot of people love to point out how classless Tiger was by making classless statements.

Bellyhungry
Mar 16, 2010, 12:10 PM

He meant the Masters based on his full post, not just one sentence.

golfnguru
Mar 16, 2010, 12:11 PM

I was referring only to the Masters.

Rumour is that Elin "caught" him at Turnberry with a British reporter which contributed to his poor play. :eek:

Weirfan
Mar 16, 2010, 12:16 PM
A lot of people love to point out how classless Tiger was by making classless statements.

nice ,

sorry no racial intent in my statement...I used boy rather than man purely based on his Immature behavior , which did not warrant man

I think if you knew that would be 100% clear , I do after all have family married an African American and many frieeds of very diverse backgrounds

Weirfan
Mar 16, 2010, 12:20 PM
That hardly seems like a fair bet with the other guy taking all the risk. It should be Tigers misses cut, he pays. Tiger makes the cut, you pay.

of course it is....the OG bet was that I would pay if Tiger wins by 10 or more and you pay me if Tiger misses the cut.....only in response to the statement that I find it more probable that he will cut versus win by 10

unskinnybop99
Mar 16, 2010, 12:21 PM
Haha this is going to be hilarious.....Let's say 40,000 people attend the opening round. 39,999 will be watching Tiger Woods and one clueless person (someone's wife who was dragged to the tournament by her husband) will be watching someone else.

Expect major tv ratings! CBS executives are currently dancing on their desk with champagne bottles!

Lefty17
Mar 16, 2010, 01:44 PM
Good place to make a return. Controlled environment.

He kept his word and said he'd notify the tournament early to let them know he's playing in it.

Look forward to his return.

Bwadd
Mar 16, 2010, 01:59 PM
hmm.. I was just going to ask you what kind of balls you will be dropping off for me :D

So what are my choices- LOL

Do we even remember the actual dates?? LOL

I could have sworn you said March... LOL

Pingnut
Mar 16, 2010, 02:03 PM
Do we even remember the actual dates?? LOL

I could have sworn you said March... LOL

Oh.. I remember. June 1st. :p

Spottswoode
Mar 16, 2010, 02:11 PM
I, for one, welcome the return of our golf overlord.

dnaman
Mar 16, 2010, 02:38 PM
Finally, ill go back to watching golf again.

pix40
Mar 16, 2010, 02:48 PM
IMG_0374.JPG

I'm baaaaa-aaaack

IXFe
Mar 16, 2010, 03:27 PM
HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Second Coming!:hyper:

The Troll
Mar 16, 2010, 03:34 PM
But is he playing in the TGN tournament? :confused:

hogannut
Mar 16, 2010, 05:31 PM
Link to news release?

Just my $0.02.

I'm quite sure I'll be hung up to dry for this comment, but that has never stopped me before!:hush::eek::D

I would hazzard a guess that the majority of the people who have this obsession of Tiger lapping the field are probably younger and fall into the "ME" generation. This is because this generation only can have one thought at a time, and when they make their choice they don't change their mind and you cannot debate things with them.

I saw a documentary a few months ago about this first generation of people who grew up with the internet, and the part of the documentary that intrigued me the most was when they were talking to university professors who were saying that the kids now entering university can no longer write essays, or even paragraphs coherently. The prof's thinking was that because of the texting and the one sentence way that many of the kids communicate these days has actually lessened their ability to conceptualize.

I don't want to get all "deep" on this, but as it pertains to Tiger and the way he is supposed to win every tournament he enters is very annoying. When I first started watching golf in and around 1975 as a 10 year old Nicklaus was God in my eyes. However as dominant as Nicklaus was the rest of the players were not put on the back burner and the TV showed whomever was winning or hitting good shot, not just showing Jack walk down the fairway as Johnny Miller (for example) got a hole in one.

I honestly don't care anymore if Tiger wins or not. Prior to the scandal I was a huge fan and followed his career very closely, right back to his amatuer wins in the mid 90's. I have accepted the fact that he will probably break the records (it's hard not to say that with how dominant he has been) but whether or not you agree with my opinion I think he has changed the game at least for the short term, and not for the better. Golf is more than wins and losses, at least for me.

Anyway I betcha if you took a survey of the ages of the people who want Tiger to win everything the majority of them would be under 30 years old.

pdl16
Mar 16, 2010, 05:37 PM
Goodbye my friend, you shall be missed. But the cut shall not.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/mike_mcallister/07/18/inside.golf/p1_tigerwave.jpg

gimme
Mar 16, 2010, 05:42 PM
I'm quite sure I'll be hung up to dry for this comment, but that has never stopped me before

I see where you are coming from on this and on the deeper side agree.
But people love heros in any sport and in Arnies era they felt the same about him.When Jack showed up people didnt like him because he was beating Arnie.

Ger63
Mar 16, 2010, 05:43 PM
Oh lord, I hope CBS plans to keep the whole Tiger thing toned down. It will get nauseating real fast if we have to keep hearing about his dramatic return blah blah blah....

hogannut
Mar 16, 2010, 05:51 PM
I see where you are coming from on this and on the deeper side agree.
But people love heros in any sport and in Arnies era they felt the same about him.When Jack showed up people didnt like him because he was beating Arnie.

I agree, but you have to understand one major difference between Palmer and Woods. THe difference is that Nicklaus or Palmer didn't have a black mark against his name (no this is not a race comment!:help:), and if Tiger had continued his squeeky clean image it would be understandable to gush all over him......like I did from the first time I saw him at the practice round of the 1996 US OPen, and turned to my father and said "This is the future of golf".

The fans were against Jack because he was de-throwning their "king" not because of Jack's actions, there is a difference. Also within a few short years Nicklaus was as popular as Palmer. A few years from now the "sting" of the scandal will be gone, and maybe he will have gained some respect back from the fans who are upset and disapointed with him.

Borbor
Mar 16, 2010, 05:51 PM
Oh lord, I hope CBS plans to keep the whole Tiger thing toned down. It will get nauseating real fast if we have to keep hearing about his dramatic return blah blah blah....

With Jim Nantz's voice no doubt :eek:

Ger63
Mar 16, 2010, 05:52 PM
With Jim Nantz's voice no doubt :eek:

I know, I can hear him now. :D

hogannut
Mar 16, 2010, 05:55 PM

I will say that CBS does a good job to represent The Masters compared to other televised events. From a business stand point this is a tough call. There are a certain amount of fans that want to see Tiger all the time, others who may not want to see him at all, and the rest probably fall into the middle.

IMO, CBS should focus on the players in contention, like they have done every other year.

p/s......hey Gerry sorry I was so "out of it" when I saw you at Iceland. I didn't realize it was you until I got into the dressing room. I was in hockey mode and I thought you were a coach (you like a coach I know). Anyway hope to see you as WV this year!

gimme
Mar 16, 2010, 05:58 PM
The Masters people run their own show.They want the Masters to be about the Masters.They limit advertising and they had Gary Mccord tossed off the broadcast for his comments.I can almost bet they have told CBS they dont want the broadcast to be about TW and I am sure TW has asked for that as well.

hogannut
Mar 16, 2010, 06:22 PM
The Masters people run their own show.They want the Masters to be about the Masters.They limit advertising and they had Gary Mccord tossed off the broadcast for his comments.I can almost bet they have told CBS they dont want the broadcast to be about TW and I am sure TW has asked for that as well.

Agree.....great comment.:D

WILL
Mar 16, 2010, 06:30 PM

Yeah, the blew it by tossing McCord. Other than that, they run a great tournament with a knowledgable, appreciative gallery.

tradernick
Mar 16, 2010, 08:27 PM
if he wins the Masters by 10 shots I'll quit TGN

GO TIGER!!!!!!!

WILL
Mar 16, 2010, 08:36 PM
GO TIGER!!!!!!!

:rofl: +1.

golferboy
Mar 16, 2010, 08:38 PM
+2...its about watching the best golf possible...not worrying about what he has done in his spare time. I'd rather watch Tiger anyday over the other PGA pros....its just plain boring.....I mean watching Els putt was painful...thats just not fun....
:rofl: +1.

Robocop
Mar 16, 2010, 08:45 PM
+3 cuz i was ordered, but not forced :D