PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Open 2010 - Worth going?

Pages : [1] 2

Marcolex
Mar 21, 2010, 11:44 AM
hi friends,
I am thinking about attending the Canadian Open this year.
Anyone of you attended before? Thoughts? Worth going?
Cheers
Marco

Fantasy09
Mar 21, 2010, 11:46 AM
Rumor is that Tiger will be coming this year, trying to win sponsorship from RBC:D

Marcolex
Mar 21, 2010, 11:49 AM
that would be cool...curious to see how the audience will welcome him...hehe :D

Ryan C
Mar 21, 2010, 11:56 AM
It's worth going to see the course alone in my opinion.

Courses like St Georges, Hamilton, Shaughnessy are much more appealing than Glen Abbey

mike83
Mar 21, 2010, 12:01 PM
Rumor is that Tiger will be coming this year, trying to win sponsorship from RBC:D

You got to be kidding right? Our national open have a OWGR similar to the Fall Series. Besides Jim Furyk, I don't think we will see any top 10 golfers here.

However, Tiger's schedule got a lot lighter in July/August. He ain't going to the AT&T National for sure, and the Buick no longer exists. But I don't think he'll play back-to-back weeks in two continents.

bobby Jones
Mar 21, 2010, 12:09 PM
Don't think Jim is going to be here, is he?

Bobby

TourIQ
Mar 21, 2010, 12:15 PM
Location this year?

Ryan C
Mar 21, 2010, 12:25 PM
Location this year?

St Georges

mike83
Mar 21, 2010, 12:39 PM
Don't think Jim is going to be here, is he?

Bobby

On the assumption he loves the tournament for winning it twice

Weirfan
Mar 21, 2010, 01:52 PM
If you have not had a chance to see the pros play them it is worth it as you get an appreciation for just how great these guys are

generally most folks who have not think that 2 and 3 handicap golfers are great golfers.......wheras these guys make 2 and 3 cappers look like 20 cappers.

otherwise, my experience in the 2 I have attended is that the Cdn Open is pretty dull.

I prefer to watch golf on the tv although I do suggest that evertbody attend at least one of the 4 major championships to witness the grandeur first hand

Marcolex
Mar 21, 2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks WeirFan
I will probably be going, I am newbie, learning the game...so will be nice to attend. Also if somebody else is going I am planning to go on Sunday the last round and since I don't have any buddies or friends will be nice to go with somebody...

sharkhark
Mar 21, 2010, 02:01 PM
I would love to go. I got a very nice treatment from a fellow tgn'r last yr, getting a free pass to the last day of the first open i ever attended and loved it.
THe course this year is somewhere near me..i dont really know the course..considering i live across from lambton and cannot play it..i have no clue about st georges...but want to attend.
Only concern personally is stories about how bout streets in my area are going to be treated..they say that closures may be widespread..how much i dont know..i am near scarlett and eg..not sure if it will be affected.

Jeffc
Mar 21, 2010, 02:07 PM
Been to the open numerous times at the Abbey. Worth going to to see how effortless it is for these guys. Go watch them warm up at the range. They play a different game than we do.

Marcolex
Mar 21, 2010, 02:30 PM
Cool feedback guys,

sharkhark, if you want to go pm me, I am going to buy a ticket for Sunday..I live not very far from (dundas/runnymede) the course too...

Big Shooter
Mar 21, 2010, 02:38 PM
I'll be there as usual on my Favourite Day: FRIDAY..."cut day"...where you get to see the Full Field GRINDING!!

LOFT
Mar 21, 2010, 02:53 PM
I'll be there as usual on my Favourite Day: FRIDAY..."cut day"...where you get to see the Full Field GRINDING!!

I would agree....go Friday when you have the entire field and less crowds so you can get closer to the players.

The other point about the field is that RBC has added players to its "Team" so it's very likely that they will play, including Anthony Kim, Luke Donald, Fred Couples on a sponsor exemption, and of course all the red blooded Canadian pro's and high end amateurs.

http://rcga.org/news_details.aspx?ID=2161

Chambokl
Mar 21, 2010, 03:01 PM
I would agree....go Friday when you have the entire field and less crowds so you can get closer to the players.

The other point about the field is that RBC has added players to its "Team" so it's very likely that they will play, including Anthony Kim, Luke Donald, Fred Couples on a sponsor exemption, and of course all the red blooded Canadian pro's and high end amateurs.

http://rcga.org/news_details.aspx?ID=2161

Camillo was also there last year.... lots of great player... also a great day is the Mike Weir Classic ... which was held last year on Tuesday...

setter02
Mar 21, 2010, 03:03 PM
Agreed, it is worth going to. Also worth it to see this year at St. G. A great place to set up a seat would be where you can see the tee shot on a par 4, be seated around the landing area and watch them hit wedges into the pin. As mentioned above, how easy it is to them. Unbelievable!

The Troll
Mar 21, 2010, 03:32 PM
If you have not had a chance to see the pros play them it is worth it as you get an appreciation for just how great these guys are

.....whereas these guys make 2 and 3 cappers look like 20 cappers.

One of the best threads I have ever read on a golf board was on Golfwrx. A guy asked "if you're a scratch player why aren't you on tour". It was amazing how many "plus" golfers had stories about how they aren't close to being in the same league.

One guy was a +5 who had played on the Hogan tour. In his words, there were a hundred +5's on that tour who couldn't make a dime playing golf professionally.

otherwise, my experience in the 2 I have attended is that the Cdn Open is pretty dull.

I prefer to watch golf on the tv although I do suggest that evertbody attend at least one of the 4 major championships to witness the grandeur first hand

Gone to the Open at Hamilton both times. Love to watch the play up close but each time I walked home to watch on TV when the coverage started.

bobby Jones
Mar 21, 2010, 03:49 PM
On the assumption he loves the tournament for winning it twice

He didn't love it enough to attend last year:)

Depending on what you are looking for, I generally recommend practice round, thursday, pro-am in that order. If you want to get up close and watch, get autographs, take pictures, chat with a pro, really go Tuesday. If you want to see some actual tournament action, go Thursday before the crowds. The regular pro-am isn't bad. The Monday Weir is ok but lots of kids (and women if costner is playing) chasing the players for autographs. Weekends are the worst time to go unless you are in a corporate box behind 18.....

Also hang out late in the day any day at the range - a lot quieter. You can bump into some big names there although not sure how much access the public will get this year due to the set-up.

As an aside, does anyone know which course RBC is taking the players to on Tuesday this year???

Bobby

Dano Twoface
Mar 21, 2010, 03:53 PM
i agree you should ATTEND
maybe the big names arent there but there are still PLENTY of great players
i know someone who played the NATIONWIDE tour, and he said it is unreal how good the good players are. You dont realise until you see them actually play!!!!
he learned pretty quick that he wouldnt cut it on the BIG TOUR

and if you are new, this will be a great experience!!!

NOTE: St Georges is an OLD course and PRIVATE so getting ON or IN is not that easy
another note I have heard is that the EGLINTON FLATS will be turned into a driving range for the PROS
and yes driving in that neighbourhood will not be fun

bobby Jones
Mar 21, 2010, 04:07 PM
i agree you should ATTEND
maybe the big names arent there but there are still PLENTY of great players
i know someone who played the NATIONWIDE tour, and he said it is unreal how good the good players are. You dont realise until you see them actually play!!!!
he learned pretty quick that he wouldnt cut it on the BIG TOUR

and if you are new, this will be a great experience!!!

NOTE: St Georges is an OLD course and PRIVATE so getting ON or IN is not that easy
another note I have heard is that the EGLINTON FLATS will be turned into a driving range for the PROS
and yes driving in that neighbourhood will not be fun

Actually they will be using Islington (club not road)as a range for the tournament. I believe they are not even using islington's range but making a temp range to be taken away after the tournament...

WILL
Mar 21, 2010, 04:25 PM
We went to a Tuesday practice round last year and loved it. Very interesting to see how tour players prepare and a great chance to see them up close without huge galleries. I'd do it again this year.

sharkhark
Mar 21, 2010, 04:43 PM
Actually they will be using Islington (club not road)as a range for the tournament. I believe they are not even using islington's range but making a temp range to be taken away after the tournament...
its funny that so many still think that about eglinton flats..which would have been so cool if it happened..and if it continued..as i live near there. so many still think it is happening and didnt hear about the arrangement made with islington which saved them tons of dough by not having to make a range.

too bad though..would've loved one nearby:(

Feherty Fan
Mar 21, 2010, 05:29 PM
I'll be there and volunteering as a standard bearer... This will be my 5th attending/volunteering as I always have a good time. Highly recommended...

Big Shooter
Mar 21, 2010, 06:01 PM
I'll be there and volunteering as a standard bearer... This will be my 5th attending/volunteering as I always have a good time. Highly recommended...

...and I'll be scooping that 'extra' pass from a buddy who Marshal's every year!! :)

RiskyBusiness
Mar 21, 2010, 06:05 PM
Def worth attending imo. Also, wear your spikes "just in case..." :D

- RB.
________
CONCEPT X6 ACTIVEHYBRID (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_Concept_X6_ActiveHybrid)

Snoman
Mar 21, 2010, 06:24 PM
I volunteered also. My 1st pro event. Looking forward to it.

Lefty17
Mar 21, 2010, 06:41 PM
You got to be kidding right? Our national open have a OWGR similar to the Fall Series. Besides Jim Furyk, I don't think we will see any top 10 golfers here.

However, Tiger's schedule got a lot lighter in July/August. He ain't going to the AT&T National for sure, and the Buick no longer exists. But I don't think he'll play back-to-back weeks in two continents.

That's Tiger's Tournament the AT&T National I don't think he'll be skipping it.

davecanuck416
Mar 27, 2010, 06:28 PM
I've never been to St. Georges and I hear its a brilliant course so I'd love to go.

Me and my parents were 3 of about a hundred people that saw Mike Weir's early morning hole-in-one at Glen Abbey last year. It was amazing! A one bouncer right in the hole after a classic "Be right!" from Brennan Little. The camera's weren't even out yet. Heard Weirsy and Pavin talking on the way to the next hole, sharing hole in one stories. That was Mike's first ever one on tour. What an experience! It started to pour about a half dozen holes later and play was suspended for the rest of the day, but we sure got our money's worth!

grasbunkers
Mar 27, 2010, 06:47 PM
st georges has to be the worst spectator course ever

Section ThirtyOne
Mar 27, 2010, 08:01 PM
This will be my second year as a standard bearer, see you there!

And as the others have said, tickets are relatively inexpensive. If you have never been it will open your eyes as to how good these guys really are.

Bellyhungry
Jun 1, 2010, 06:03 PM
Heard on the drive home that public parking will be at Woodbine race track. :eek:

setter02
Jun 1, 2010, 06:46 PM
Moron's who run the CPGA/OPGA decided to move up the PAT's to the Canadian Open week :cookoo: so no volunteering for me, tho may get some tix as it is 5 minutes away from me. Was talking to a member yesterday as he was playing Copper with a guy I knew from my previous place and he said the course is beyond tough right now. Lightning greens and very thick rough.

Agreed on watching these guys. Find yourself a spot where you can see the tee shot and a wedge into the green. Effortless, makes you sick... As smooth as a putting stroke and bang, its 120 yards :eek:

cyeskoo
Jun 1, 2010, 06:57 PM

yeah i heard about speculation about Tiger and Phil coming. Not sure about the RBC sponsorship :p

unskinnybop99
Jun 1, 2010, 07:06 PM
Definitely go! Watch the players at the driving range. See how they warm-up, drills they use, ball flight, etc. It is a real treat. I used to spend half a day at the driving range and the other half walking the course. Great experience.

olmanracer
Jun 1, 2010, 07:47 PM
Witnessed several over the years and the Pros play a different game than everyone else including low cap amateurs. Their game is way beyond how we think and execute our shots. Its like any other profession like an artist or a carpenter, they are masters of their trade and we are amazed at how easy they make it look. PGA golf pros are the cream of the crop (in the world) and they hit more golf balls in one month than we do in 2 years. If you have a chance to watch them, do so and you'll shake your head at how they play the game........no comparison.

bumpnrun
Jun 1, 2010, 08:50 PM
If you do end up going, the absolute best spot to watch from if you can get it, will be beside the 2nd green, where there will be an observation tower I understand.

You can watch them hit into 2, tee off on 3, hit into 6 and tee off on 7 all from the same spot.

I'd also suggest following one group - not the leaders or the huge names, and just follow them around for their entire round. Also a great way to experience the tournament.

Ignatius Reilly
Jun 1, 2010, 09:22 PM
Let me rephrase the OP:

"Should I watch the best players in the world competing on the best course in Canada?".

Hmmm... Tough question....

Assuming you like golf, and your car is polished, the dog is washed and your nails have been filed recently, I think you should be good to go.

paperclip
Jun 2, 2010, 02:21 AM
hi friends,
I am thinking about attending the Canadian Open this year.
Anyone of you attended before? Thoughts? Worth going?
Cheers
Marco

To answer the questions: yup, those guys are good, yup :)

mpare
Jun 2, 2010, 04:07 AM
If for no other reason, it's worth it to watch these guys hit balls on the practice range. You can learn so much from doing that alone.

Greywolf
Jun 2, 2010, 04:11 AM
I used to go every year but have not in the past 10. I am going this year (Saturday) to have a look at the course, not looking forward to the parking/shuttle fiasco which I am sure will happen. I plan to go really early and leave late.

Bellyhungry
Jun 2, 2010, 05:46 AM
They are capping the attendence to 22,000 per day. Might want to get your ticket early.

I think I am getting an invite to the Pengrowth corporate tent.

Lefty17
Jun 2, 2010, 07:06 AM
I know it's early but there are alot of solid players coming...

http://www.tsn.ca/golf/story/?id=323274

Weir, Ames, Delaet, Goosen, Clark, Green, O'Hair, Kim, Donald, Yang, Kuchar, Casey, Villegas, Fowler and Mahan are committed.

That's enough for me to go and watch especially the last 4.

Bellyhungry
Jun 2, 2010, 07:28 AM

Weir, Ames, Delaet, Goosen, Clark, Green, O'Hair, Kim, Donald, Yang, Kuchar, Casey, Villegas, Fowler and Mahan are committed.

With the Players under his belt, Timmy is now considered a big name.

grass connoisseur
Jun 2, 2010, 02:25 PM
If for no other reason, it's worth it to watch these guys hit balls on the practice range. You can learn so much from doing that alone.

Although I agree that was one of the highlights for me last yeaR, you'll be dissapointed if you expect the same this year, unless you can somehow trek over to Islington G & CC as that is where the range will be.

Just ordered tickets for the proam and it says kids under 15 free with paying adult. Thinking of bringing my son who is 5, has anyone brought their kids this young? he likes golf but not sure about the attention span lasting more then a couple of hours.

P25
Jun 2, 2010, 02:28 PM

Wow - really solid list of players there. :)

mpare
Jun 2, 2010, 06:42 PM
I hadn't realized that. From a spectator point of view having the practice range removed from the tournament site is not a good thing.

Although I agree that was one of the highlights for me last yeaR, you'll be dissapointed if you expect the same this year, unless you can somehow trek over to Islington G & CC as that is where the range will be.

Bellyhungry
Jun 2, 2010, 07:11 PM
I imagine there's got to be some sort of shuttle service between Islington GC and St George's.

job511
Jun 2, 2010, 07:46 PM
Never been to an actual open. Where do you get tickets?