PDA

View Full Version : Bubba Watson... I don't get it!

Bwadd
Mar 21, 2010, 06:35 PM
I know he is young and an up and comer on the Tour.... but I really dont get his style of play.... I really think he needs to re-evaluate how he approaches the game....

Apparently he is one of the least winningest players on tour going back to his collegiate years...

It just shows you that bombing the ball 200yrds with a 9 iron is not going to win you a tournament. If he practiced a little more course management he would probably have an easier time on tour...

Lefty17
Mar 21, 2010, 06:39 PM
I know he is young and an up and comer on the Tour.... but I really dont get his style of play.... I really think he needs to re-evaluate how he approaches the game....

Apparently he is one of the least winningest players on tour going back to his collegiate years...

It just shows you that bombing the ball 200yrds with a 9 iron is not going to win you a tournament. If he practiced a little more course management he would probably have an easier time on tour...

I've seen alot of improvement in him over the last year and especially to this year. He is 31 so he's not young. I don't think his swing will hold up in the stretch but the more he hangs around the top the better he'll get.

Big Shooter
Mar 21, 2010, 06:41 PM
I like him to win The Masters!! That would be fun! :D

Dano Twoface
Mar 21, 2010, 06:42 PM
I agree he just plays SO aggressive and needs to reign it in a little.
he was pretty good today with some nice green side shots and his putter was decent too!!

he is really close to winning, 2nd top five finish this season

his one big problem today was playing his HUGE draw???????????? on every tee box?????????

Weirfan
Mar 21, 2010, 06:44 PM

agree, obviously good being on tour but he lacks the complete game

poor putter, poor sand saves, 78th in birdies

also seems to be erractic with the driver 137th in accuracy
http://www.pgatour.com/players/02/58/04/

I am sure he will get lucky one day . put it all together for a weekend and win a tourney

Bwadd
Mar 21, 2010, 06:47 PM

I am sure he will get lucky one day . put it all together for a weekend and win a tourney

With his distance he should hit a strong 3 wood.. probably still get it out there 300ish maybe give him a little more control.. just like stenson... he has won a few tourney's playing a 3 wood!

setter02
Mar 21, 2010, 06:55 PM
Just plain stupid is all. Who the hell would want to make the game harder?!?!? Playing a 30+ yard hook with your wedges, let along ever other club. I know he wants to bring more 'artistry' as he's put it back to the game, how about win once before you start spouting off about how things should be played...

pillpickleson
Mar 21, 2010, 07:01 PM
I believe they stated today he has always suffered from ADD and this affects his game as you need to be calm and focused. He said both of which is hard for him and always has been. He has never been diagnosed by a clinical doctor as he said he prefers to deal with it in his own way but golf has helped him. Possibly the out of control episodes. He is a good player and needs to work on himself and he may just get htere one day.

mike83
Mar 21, 2010, 08:23 PM
You can't teach an old dog new tricks. The tour is littered with big bombers with no short game and short game artists with no ball striking. The few at the top does both reasonably well. I don't see how Bubba can teach himself how to pitch, chip and putt any better. If he can, he would have done it already.

golfhacker
Mar 21, 2010, 08:31 PM
Y..... I don't see how Bubba can teach himself how to pitch, chip and putt any better. .....

Dave Pelz?? :help:

Bellyhungry
Mar 21, 2010, 08:32 PM

I have a feeling that he would hold it together one week in a major and win a big one, but would not become a consistent winner on the tour.

CMSW
Mar 21, 2010, 08:34 PM
he was pretty good today with some nice green side shots and his putter was decent too!!

he is really close to winning, 2nd top five finish this season

his one big problem today was playing his HUGE draw???????????? on every tee box?????????

Agreed, why does he always have to shape his shots? Most of the time it's not necessary. I know he good at it, but...

Gonegolfing
Mar 21, 2010, 08:46 PM

Lucky might not be the best term to describe a player winning a tournament?

Weirfan
Mar 21, 2010, 08:49 PM
Lucky might not be the best term to describe a player winning a tournament?

of course he is good he is on the tour.....but never won anything not even in College , something is up there

lucky in that he is able to put it all together one week

he may very well win a PGA tour event.

golferboy
Mar 21, 2010, 08:50 PM
Loved watching him hit a tree 30 yds in front of the tee, trying to draw it...I know he is young and an up and comer on the Tour.... but I really dont get his style of play.... I really think he needs to re-evaluate how he approaches the game....

WILL
Mar 21, 2010, 08:53 PM

It works for Mickleson.

sharkhark
Mar 21, 2010, 08:54 PM
i totally understand his desire to be able to play different shots like severe hook or slice on demand...but....hit them "when you have to"...not on simple 100 yard shots do you need 30 yards of draw?

great that you can sometimes hit those freaky shots..by why hit them when there is no need? not suprised he didnt win in college or on tour. Good personality. Cool guy. sure he will someday win. but win often? no..not with his decision making.

The Troll
Mar 21, 2010, 09:02 PM
Agreed, why does he always have to shape his shots? Most of the time it's not necessary. I know he good at it, but...

Trevino made a great career out of slinging the ball left to right. It was the only way he could play.

Perhaps that is how Bubba hits the ball the most consistently as well.

wlorcb
Mar 21, 2010, 09:12 PM

30 yard hook is not shaping your shots, unless you have a tree to go around. I don't think they showed a single one of his approach shots that he didn't hit a 30 yard snap hook on, even from the center of the fairway. If I ever played with someone like that who always hit a 30 yard hook or slice to get it onto the fairway or on the green, and they told me that they could hit it straight if they wanted to, but preferred to bend it 30 yards, I would say to myself, that person is either lying to me or himself.

Dano Twoface
Mar 21, 2010, 09:21 PM
one thing is for certain
watching him is intriguing cause you want to see the outcome

i mean look at FURYK, he plays like a robot and did you see his shot on 18
out of the rough? wow he looked like me out there

and Bubbas tree clip? i can do that too
maybe I can play on TOUR????!!!!!!!!!!!

watching the pros do things like that makes me ADMIRE what they do that much more

mcgsxr
Mar 21, 2010, 10:29 PM
I understand all that has been said here. Agree that it is nuts the way he is always shaping the ball, even from dead straight away.

But...

1 - he is a lefty, love those guys!
2 - Career Earnings:$6,861,741
3 - pink driver shaft - just damn cool! I look like a jackass, he looks cool! I know it.

Do you really need a 4?

Bwadd
Mar 22, 2010, 07:40 AM
Loved watching him hit a tree 30 yds in front of the tee, trying to draw it...

LMAO....

Why not just take a club less and hit it straight... Ogilvy winis championships hitting the ball straight.... LOL

Dano Twoface
Mar 22, 2010, 07:44 AM
i think with age comes some better decision making!!
look at Phil
he still likes to work the ball, now he is better at his decision making
BUBBA is only 31, so in due time he might get it

his short game was pretty damn good yesterday and so was his putting

I think this could be his year that he finally wins one!!!!

MASTERS?

Bwadd
Mar 22, 2010, 07:46 AM
look at Phil

MASTERS?

Impossible... you need to have a lot more control to win a Masters jacket.....

Gonegolfing
Mar 22, 2010, 07:56 AM
look at Phil

MASTERS?

Impossible... you need to have a lot more control to win a Masters jacket.....

Some announcers disagreed with you point as Bubba has the game for the masters if he can get "lucky" on that weekend and put it all together.

Good luck Bubba.

sharkhark
Mar 22, 2010, 08:42 AM
I like bubba..but masters? no way. When the announcers said he had a horrible college career winning basically nothing...and i put that together with his non winning pga career....he is a guy that will finish a career and have maybe 1-3 wins max...no majors.

Weirfan
Mar 22, 2010, 09:02 AM
I also dont think he will win the Masters , ever....
his short game is not good enough.

could he win a Major, sure.....I suppoise any pro golfer can

if guys like Shaun Micheel and Todd Hamilton can then Bubba could.

Rusty
Mar 22, 2010, 11:39 AM
Extraordinary length off the tee can compensate for, and hide, deficiencies in other aspects of the game, physical and mental. Those special tournaments, The Majors, are usually an examination of the entire golf skill set unlike a regular PGA tour stop which can sometimes be a contest of short iron and wedge prowess.

Watching Bubba yesterday, I was struck by the great lengths he went to get his ball to move left to right, for whatever purpose. That flat, exaggerated follow through was almost painful to watch. Bubba will win something...sometime...but I doubt it will be anything major.

Rusty

isitour
Mar 22, 2010, 11:55 AM
i think he's really good. He is a big crowd pleaser. When was the last time any of us contended for a PGA tour tittle? He appears to be doing it his way which I admire.

bobby Jones
Mar 22, 2010, 04:32 PM
I was able to have a long chat with his Caddy after the 2006 Open. It was a hilarious chat with every second word starting with the letter "f". Bubba actually had a chance to win that year and according to his caddy packed it in half way through the final round when he realized it would be difficult and cost the caddy some coin. He was mad that maybe 60 k or so didn't matter to Bubba but it did to the caddy! Caddy went on to complain how wet behind the ears Bubba was citing the practice round when Bubba was pleased with his approach shots and how close they were to the flag. Caddy replied, what the f are you doing aiming at pins on Tuesday? Do you really think the f'n pins are going to be there on Thursday-Sunday? Do you see Vijay aiming at the f'n pins on Tuesday? He went on to complain that his wife needed to go to f'n PGA wife school 101 to learn she doesn't chat and complain about whatever to Bubba in the middle of his rounds on the weekend! He went on about a few more personal items on Bubba which I won't mention here but, all in all I enjoyed the insight:)

bobby

JZGolf
Mar 22, 2010, 04:34 PM
i think he's really good. He is a big crowd pleaser. When was the last time any of us contended for a PGA tour tittle? He appears to be doing it his way which I admire.

Agreed...when WAS the last time any of us contended for a PGA Tour title?? Anybody else approaching $7 million in earnings playing golf?? hahahahaha...thanks for the entertaining comments, but this debate about how Bubba "should" play is rediculous. I'll trade my golf career right now for that $7mil figure...and the very funny Ping commercial...hahahahaha.

Let's all keep working on our chipping and putting, no?

yertu
Mar 22, 2010, 05:05 PM
hitting 30 yard hooks with wedges makes it creative and interesting for him. Im guessing that it if he has ADD this would help to kep his concentration on the golf.
I guess if he can pull them off it wouldnt really affect his scoring.:)

setter02
Mar 22, 2010, 05:06 PM
Agreed...when WAS the last time any of us contended for a PGA Tour title?? Anybody else approaching $7 million in earnings playing golf?? hahahahaha...thanks for the entertaining comments, but this debate about how Bubba "should" play is rediculous. I'll trade my golf career right now for that $7mil figure...and the very funny Ping commercial...hahahahaha.

Let's all keep working on our chipping and putting, no?

That's right people, don't even speak about what you know nothing about, make your lives as plain over cooked bleached white rice :hush:

coe14
Mar 22, 2010, 07:29 PM
I like him to win The Masters!! That would be fun! :D

Never with that big hook.

3whack
Mar 22, 2010, 07:36 PM
For good or bad, Bubba is (like Phil) somewhat entertaining because of his unpredictability.

I kind of like him, though, as he reminds me of a much, much longer and better (and much taller) version of me as a teenager...trained on whiffle balls and trying wacky shots.

Sometimes it worked beautifully.

And sometimes...well, definitely not!

avsforthecup74
Mar 22, 2010, 07:49 PM
Reading the posts here has got me thinking.
Now I've seen Bubba and watched him play and although it's different it's not wrong. He does work the ball a ton but it's predictable.
That's part of golf and managing your misses. If he knows he can fade or draw it between 25-30 yards with whatever club that's very predictable.
The other aspect is he'll always know where his miss is going to be. He's taking the side out entirely out of play.
Also if he can control it within 10 yards of whatever way he's moving it that leaves him 30 feet if he hits it pin high which isn't too bad.
If you hit it straight like many of you are saying, a slight miscue and the ball can go either way on you making it very hard to fire away if your miss can mean trouble.
The other thing I've read is about hitting it straight and how that's how he should try to aim for. I don't get it! Hitting it straight is THE hardest thing to do. How many of you can hit a slice or hook depending on your tendency every time, I'm sure a lot could. Now if you could bomb it 300 plus with that slice and have a decent idea of knowing where it's going to end up...wouldn't you play it? Especially knowing one side can be taken out of play?!
I'm not trying to say this is the best way to play, or the most successful but he's taking what he's given.
He has ADD and if that's his way of managing it good for him. Taking one of the sports where concentration is thought to be one of the most crucial things and yet he's dealing with it fairly well.

Good Luck to him

swingpure
Mar 22, 2010, 08:15 PM
i totally understand his desire to be able to play different shots like severe hook or slice on demand...but....hit them "when you have to"...not on simple 100 yard shots do you need 30 yards of draw?

He loves how it looks and when one works well it reinforces that love. He is addicted to a curved ball flight. It's actually a sexual thing, that started when we were apes.:eek:

WILL
Mar 22, 2010, 08:20 PM
He loves how it looks and when one works well it reinforces that love. He is addicted to a curved ball flight. It's actually a sexual thing, that started when we were apes.:eek:

Maybe Tiger's theropist can help with that. :rolleyes:

gimme
Mar 23, 2010, 09:30 AM

I think Bubba is a nervous guy and it takes over when he gets close to a win.

hitblade007
Mar 24, 2010, 10:43 AM
Maybe Tiger's theropist can help with that. :rolleyes:
I am just about to say finally we have a thread is not about TW for a change. Now you just spoiled it.

There was an article on Golf Didget talking about Bubba. I personally like him a lot. But I believe he is born as a long ball hitter. That's it. He is a feel player and short game will never upto a level consistently.