PDA

View Full Version : Dwindling opportunities to cheer for Weir

laps
Mar 28, 2010, 07:11 AM
Unfortunately, i find that Mike Weir's pro golf career is rapidly deteriorating. He used to be able to play well three out of days in a tournament, now its more like one or two. Its too bad, because I like to cheer him on, but he is nowhere to be seen on Sunday. Some of his age peers like Michelson and Els (all are within one year of each other) seem to be getting a resurgence. Vijay played his best after 40, so does anyone objectively think that Mike Weir will make a comeback and become a regular contender in tournaments.

The last few years he has had fleeting moments of brilliance. I honestly think that if he keeps going the way that he is that he might be in danger of losing his card within two years. I would hate to see that. he is one of my favourite players.

gimmeabogey
Mar 28, 2010, 07:40 AM
I know what you mean. He hasn't been a contender for a while. He hasn't won since 2007 but coming in multiple times in top ten keeps him in the money list and in the top 50 world ranking, while he needs to be inside 125 to keep his card. So good for him he is still making money but he is not giving us a reason to cheer for him. You never know though keep your fingers crossed.

landlord
Mar 28, 2010, 07:46 AM
After his Masters year, I remember thinking he's got one more major in him. I still hold onto that idea but it's more hope than probability, and it would be more of a surprise than a fulfilled expectation.

I think Mike falls into that very large category of people for whom success is a bit of a disincentive. Meanwhile, as usual in life and sports, the spoils go to the hungriest.

timmy2308
Mar 28, 2010, 08:02 AM
I too feel that maybe Mike's time has past, but let's not forget he's 11th on the all time money list at over $26,000,000. He's given us plenty to cheer about, I just wish he could win one more major.

davecanuck416
Mar 28, 2010, 08:45 AM
I disagree. Mike has always given us a reason to cheer for him. He is a class 1-A guy with a gritty, never-give-up attitude, and I'm proud that he represents us as Canadians. And no..he hasn't won since 2007. But don't forget, he finished 6th in the Fedex Cup in 2008 and 29th in 2009. You'll have a hard time convincing me that's not damn impressive.

He's had trouble putting together 4 great rounds this year, but he already has a top-10 in 6 starts, including 5 made cuts, and 2 top 25's.

Golf is golf. There were a lot of people writing off Ernie Els like he was washed up, and his career was "deteriorating" when he was struggling in last half decade, and now I think you could make the case that, at this moment, he's the #1 player in the world.

I know Mike's gonna keep battling, wouldn't be surprised to see him contend again at Augusta, so his fans should keep battling too.

Fantasy09
Mar 28, 2010, 08:52 AM
Weir is a ONE round tournament golfer, he is TOO OLD to keep up with good scoring all 4 rounds...:D

Cards
Mar 28, 2010, 08:55 AM
He's shooting well this week at Bay Hill, yesterday he just had some bad luck. Its very possible he makes a push today and contends for at least a top 5

Lefty17
Mar 28, 2010, 09:59 AM
Mikey will shoot something low on Thursday or Friday then the weekend comes and it par or over par for the weekend. This trend started at Bethpage last year.

I still like watching Mike but....

davecanuck416
Mar 28, 2010, 12:12 PM
Mikey will shoot something low on Thursday or Friday then the weekend comes and it par or over par for the weekend. This trend started at Bethpage last year.

I still like watching Mike but....
In 2009, Weir played 16 rounds on the weekend after Bethpage last year. Only 5 of those rounds were over par, 3 of those 5 were only 1 over par. He finished the year with a 61 on Sunday.

Big Shooter
Mar 28, 2010, 12:24 PM
Weir seems to play his best at Majors, not winning, but competitive....as for Els, Mickelson & Singh, they have ALWAYS been better players than Weir, who I've always compared to David Toms who also has not played well the past 5 years or so! Also, what about Chris DiMarco??

Lefty17
Mar 28, 2010, 12:27 PM
In 2009, Weir played 16 rounds on the weekend after Bethpage last year. Only 5 of those rounds were over par, 3 of those 5 were only 1 over par. He finished the year with a 61 on Sunday.

Weir career on the weekend over the last year or so isn't the best. When he does play well he back doors a top 20-15-10. Other then that he goes in the opposite direction.

Mike's tournaments this year consist of one good round that's enough to make him the cut then some sub par or par rounds to round it off. Look at his world ranking...44th.

Lefty17
Mar 28, 2010, 12:28 PM
Weir seems to play his best at Majors, not winning, but competitive....as for Els, Mickelson & Singh, they have ALWAYS been better players than Weir, who I've always compared to David Toms who also has not played well the past 5 years or so! Also, what about Chris DiMarco??

DiMarco who??? He fell off the face of the earth...

laps
Mar 28, 2010, 12:50 PM
I disagree. Mike has always given us a reason to cheer for him. He is a class 1-A guy with a gritty, never-give-up attitude, and I'm proud that he represents us as Canadians. And no..he hasn't won since 2007. But don't forget, he finished 6th in the Fedex Cup in 2008 and 29th in 2009. You'll have a hard time convincing me that's not damn impressive.

He's had trouble putting together 4 great rounds this year, but he already has a top-10 in 6 starts, including 5 made cuts, and 2 top 25's.

Golf is golf. There were a lot of people writing off Ernie Els like he was washed up, and his career was "deteriorating" when he was struggling in last half decade, and now I think you could make the case that, at this moment, he's the #1 player in the world.

I know Mike's gonna keep battling, wouldn't be surprised to see him contend again at Augusta, so his fans should keep battling too.

I agree with all that you have said. But unfortunately he is nowhere to be seen when Sunday afternoon coverage starts, so as a fan of his I don't get to see him play.