PDA

View Full Version : FREDDY COUPLES...KICKING BUTT!

hogannut
Mar 30, 2010, 07:26 PM
I am actually enjoying watching the Champions tour now!:eek::D I guess it is partially due to the fact I watched these guys play in their prime years, but I also find that they are coming to the Champions tour these days in great shape and still able to compete on PGA tour. With Freddy setting that new record of 3 out of 4 wins he could rack up some serious numbers for the next guys to chase. Even with his bad back he seems unstopable right now.

I remember in his late 30's and early 40's he was saying he was more or less done with pro golf, his back just couldn't take it, but here he is a decade later still playing and seemingly enjoying playing. Great to see! Just goes to show you that even if their bodies give out, their competitive drive seems to still be there. Can't wait to see guys like Funk and Singh out there in a year or 2. It was great watching Pavin and Couples battle it out like the "good ol' days"!

Don't know if any of you noticed but when Couples hit his drive on Sunday on the 16th (I think it was 16) you could see the sign for the hole, and it was a 348 yard par 4. This is drive and sand wedge for Freddy. The par 5's are all reachable for him too. The Champions tour really makes the courses much easier than the PGA, at least for their regular events, which I am Ok with. You don't need to see guys 50+ years old get beaten up on a 7800 yard course, however I hope they continue to challenge them in their majors, particularily the US OPen.

BTW......also noticed when watching that Freddy jumped into a cart after his shot. Are they allowed to use carts on the Champions tour?:confused:

Borbor
Mar 30, 2010, 07:29 PM
Are they allowed to use carts on the Champions tour?:confused:

since day 1 of the tour man :rofl:

hogannut
Mar 30, 2010, 07:36 PM
since day 1 of the tour man :rofl:

:eek::hush::help:

Fantasy09
Mar 30, 2010, 07:39 PM
Are they allowed to use carts on the Champions tour?:confused:
It used to call the Senior Tour so I guess they are just too old to walk.:D

cobbie_90
Mar 30, 2010, 07:43 PM
its great to see freddy still playing great

Borbor
Mar 30, 2010, 07:50 PM
its great to see freddy still playing great

hard to play like **** when courses are shortened by 6 to 700 yards :rofl:

P25
Mar 30, 2010, 07:59 PM

It's the same for all the players on the tour, so he's still kickin butt.

Happy for him - I love watching his swing.

Bellyhungry
Mar 30, 2010, 08:07 PM
It used to call the Senior Tour so I guess they are just too old to walk.:D

I thought all the senior tour players are supposed to be the torch bearers of golf tradition? What about the tradition of walking?

hogannut
Mar 30, 2010, 08:08 PM
I thought all the senior tour players are supposed to be the torch bearers of golf tradition? What about the tradition of walking?

I agree.....at 50 you should still be able to walk a golf course, especially one that is 600 yards shorter than you are used to.:(

sharkhark
Mar 30, 2010, 08:11 PM
Go back 8-10 yrs ago and i didnt watch much. i didnt really know all the old timers..but in recent yrs with funk and couples, nick price etc..the guys i watched for yrs on pga...are now on there and i really enjoy it...except that the golf channel doesnt show it in high def.
Irritating. I watched them in..where was it...dominican? this past wknd..and they use that uploaded fake SD HD crap..that is all fuzzy..would be nice to see high def tropical courses like that..but its low def.

but yeah...me likey. specially freddie ..who only lost that debut due to tom watson schooling him like a little girl with lights out play...but a second and now three..wins...out of four? wow!

P25
Mar 30, 2010, 08:13 PM
I can't stand when sports aren't broadcast in HD either - very hard to watch :mad:

hogannut
Mar 30, 2010, 08:17 PM
I can't stand when sports aren't broadcast in HD either - very hard to watch :mad:

Guess you are a fan of Leafs TV when they show the old games eh? Nothing like that black and white picture quality from the 50's and 60's!:eek::hush::help:

abz-pete
Mar 30, 2010, 08:21 PM
Yea... it's just soo easy.... anyone can shoot 62, right?

P25
Mar 30, 2010, 08:21 PM
Guess you are a fan of Leafs TV when they show the old games eh? Nothing like that black and white picture quality from the 50's and 60's!:eek::hush::help:

LOL - the old stuff I get (though I can't watch old sports games in full...just like I almost never PVR sports - I need to watch it live), but current stuff, I really don't understand.

sharkhark
Mar 30, 2010, 08:42 PM
LOL - the old stuff I get (though I can't watch old sports games in full...just like I almost never PVR sports - I need to watch it live), but current stuff, I really don't understand.
funny you say that bud...cuz i have changed..i know in some ways it ruins the feeling of watching live sports..but golf has so many ben cranes...jim furyks.......jb holmes..wait..ok..he is better..but i actually tape golf so i can fast forward thru the waaaaaaaaay...too many commercials....and when a guy is circling and circling a putt...i can hit ff...until just before he take the putter back....i can watch four hrs or three hrs of golf..in less than half the time.

hogannut
Mar 30, 2010, 08:44 PM

I have on 9 hole par 3.:eek:

Seriously I would be happy with 62 on an 18 hole par 3.

goshawk
Mar 30, 2010, 08:56 PM
I am actually enjoying watching the Champions tour now!:eek::D I guess it is partially due to the fact I watched these guys play in their prime years, but I also find that they are coming to the Champions tour these days in great shape and still able to compete on PGA tour. With Freddy setting that new record of 3 out of 4 wins he could rack up some serious numbers for the next guys to chase. Even with his bad back he seems unstopable right now.

I remember in his late 30's and early 40's he was saying he was more or less done with pro golf, his back just couldn't take it, but here he is a decade later still playing and seemingly enjoying playing. Great to see! Just goes to show you that even if their bodies give out, their competitive drive seems to still be there. Can't wait to see guys like Funk and Singh out there in a year or 2. It was great watching Pavin and Couples battle it out like the "good ol' days"!

Don't know if any of you noticed but when Couples hit his drive on Sunday on the 16th (I think it was 16) you could see the sign for the hole, and it was a 348 yard par 4. This is drive and sand wedge for Freddy. The par 5's are all reachable for him too. The Champions tour really makes the courses much easier than the PGA, at least for their regular events, which I am Ok with. You don't need to see guys 50+ years old get beaten up on a 7800 yard course, however I hope they continue to challenge them in their majors, particularily the US OPen.

BTW......also noticed when watching that Freddy jumped into a cart after his shot. Are they allowed to use carts on the Champions tour?:confused: The way I understand it, carts are available for any player who wants one. Not all of them ride.....actually, the vast majority of the Champions Tour players do walk. There are a few who walk the front 9 and ride the rest. Some will do it in combination.....ride a couple, walk a couple. Totally up to the individual. And caddies are permitted in the carts, if they wish.
And I did see that drive. I think it was on 16 too, and his drive ended up in front of the left-front greenside bunker. Boom-Boom can still put it out there!! ;)

Borbor
Mar 30, 2010, 09:03 PM

The guys who were GREAT players usually tear it up the moment they hit the senior tour. Freddie isn't the first one to be lighting it up once he went that way.

So yah, to them it is that easy

Rusty
Mar 31, 2010, 12:04 PM
Clearly the Champions Tour course setup is much different from even the regular PGA Tour setup (which often is softened to let the boys score) and light years away from a majors' setup. Proof? Pavin shoots 63 on Saturday...and Freddie goes lower on Sunday. OK, a couple of factors came into play besides the setup...no wind at Punta Espada being the most important, easy pin placements next. Couples in his post-tournament interview alluded to it, saying the results will be very different when he plays at Houston this week on the regular tour. Reading between the lines: they were playing a pitch and putt setup last week.

All the PGA tour guys moving to the Champions Tour brush up on their short iron and wedge games...because they seldom play a mid- or long-iron into the par 4s. Those shots are for the par 5s. Most 50 year olds can still move it off the tee pretty good....unless their name is Pavin, who never hit it very far but is a wizard with his approach shots. So, when they move to the Champions Tour they have an initial spurt of success based on superior length off the tee and dart-like approach shots that make for easy putting.

As for the carts....well, some eschew them and do walk. Others, clearly need them for "health" reasons...maybe it helps Fred's back to ride. Others probably ride just because...well, its there and why exert yourself any more than you have to? Fred said after his Sunday round that he walked one hole...the last one, probably for the gallery, the cameras and the victory lap. But then Freddie never struck me as one overly concerned with his physical conditioning...which might explain why when he was 30 he had the back of a 70 year old.

I think I will go to Montreal and watch the old boys play Fountainebleu...a course that I have played a couple of times and consider to be the easiest of the Clublink tracks in Quebec. With the right setup, a 58 might be in the future.

Rusty

Pingeye2_fan
Mar 31, 2010, 07:09 PM
The way I understand it, carts are available for any player who wants one. Not all of them ride.....actually, the vast majority of the Champions Tour players do walk. There are a few who walk the front 9 and ride the rest. Some will do it in combination.....ride a couple, walk a couple. Totally up to the individual. And caddies are permitted in the carts, if they wish.
And I did see that drive. I think it was on 16 too, and his drive ended up in front of the left-front greenside bunker. Boom-Boom can still put it out there!! ;)

The rule used to be that the player or caddy could ride but not both.

It's probably different now but I remember an article on Lee Trevino and he was struggling because he had to walk due to the fact that his caddy Herman had some health issues and had to ride.

Shake99
Mar 31, 2010, 10:33 PM
Check the yardage at Cap Cana 7260 last I looked the Pga Tour ddi not have any 7800 yard courses

shankuverymuch
Apr 1, 2010, 07:10 AM

The caddies still have to walk !!! What up with that ???