PDA

View Full Version : So did Tiger keep his emotions in control???

Anthony
Apr 9, 2010, 07:53 AM
As promised??? Saw none of his birdies or eagles or his reaction, but as per his press conference, wonder how his demeaner was? Did see a few bad shots and his reaction seemed no different then pre-Thanksgiving.

nutsngum
Apr 9, 2010, 07:55 AM
It's so difficult to keep ones "emotions in check" because they're simply that. Emotions.

I think he did an admirable job of keeping himself in check. There were times where he looked pissed after a shot, but I think he was able to realize that and control himself. But who am I kidding I am biased look at my display pic after all :P

racmbs
Apr 9, 2010, 07:56 AM
Tiger was Tiger.....the person I've always liked to watch.

landlord
Apr 9, 2010, 07:58 AM
Seemed about 90% of his old self, but then again it was only Thursday.

And he's replaced the F word with a well-known 3-syllable word beginning with G. He's apparently switched from obscene to profane.

mrvelani
Apr 9, 2010, 08:08 AM
Loved watching him and always do and the reason is because of his emotions. He wears them on his red golf shirts sleeve.

You shouldn't be happy when you hit in to the woods and you should be estatic when you have just made 2 eagles in one round, how many of us can do that?

Anthony
Apr 9, 2010, 08:10 AM
That's what I thought.... I'll be honest, I have bought very little of what he has said or done over the past 4 months. It's the same Tiger. I do believe he will be a better person, a little more charitable and giving, but underneath it will be the same person.

racmbs
Apr 9, 2010, 08:13 AM
That's what I thought.... I'll be honest, I have bought very little of what he has said or done over the past 4 months. It's the same Tiger. I do believe he will be a better person, a little more charitable and giving, but underneath it will be the same person.

If you think golf is the only sport fueled with emotional players who are hot under the collar in the heat of competition, then you need to watch more TV.

Tiger has always played with emotion and as mrvelani said wears his heart on his sleeve. If I had to watch the likes of Stricker, Zach Jonhson and a host of others who play with ZERO emotion, golf would be right were it was before Tiger blasted onto the PGA Tour.

Anthony
Apr 9, 2010, 08:20 AM
If you think golf is the only sport fueled with emotional players who are hot under the collar in the heat of competition, then you need to watch more TV.

Tiger has always played with emotion and as mrvelani said wears his heart on his sleeve. If I had to watch the likes of Stricker, Zach Jonhson and a host of others who play with ZERO emotion, golf would be right were it was before Tiger blasted onto the PGA Tour.

Of course that is the case. Also like golfers with opinions who are fun to watch and listen to (Ames, Sabbatini, Garcia....).

I just find Tiger disingenuous with many of his comments. I don't think he is a terrible person, just don't believe what he says.

racmbs
Apr 9, 2010, 08:22 AM
Of course that is the case. Also like golfers with opinions who are fun to watch and listen to (Ames, Sabbatini, Garcia....).

I just find Tiger disingenuous with many of his comments. I don't think he is a terrible person, just don't believe what he says.

Why don't you try focusing more on the golfer and his abilities, and less on what goes on in his personal life.....you'll enjoy it more.

mrvelani
Apr 9, 2010, 08:26 AM
just don't believe what he says.

You don't have to, just believe what you see. And did you see that shot yesterday???

How many people in the world that can do that? I don't care much about what he has to say or what he does afterwards, that's for the tabloids and the housewives to read up on.

Borbor
Apr 9, 2010, 09:04 AM
Seemed about 90% of his old self, but then again it was only Thursday.

And he's replaced the F word with a well-known 3-syllable word beginning with G. He's apparently switched from obscene to profane.

You should tune into the amen's corner live then.

Non-censored coverage of all the swearing that goes on from the rest of the field :rofl:

laxgolf
Apr 9, 2010, 09:27 AM
Tiger was Tiger.....the person I've always liked to watch.

+1

The F Bombs and GD's the camera picks up are one thing that need to stop, but no one wants Tiger to tone down the physical emotion he displays on the course. It's part of his makeup and appeal.

davevandyk
Apr 9, 2010, 09:32 AM
I think Tiger was a complete 180* from old Tiger. If you watched coverage you saw Tiger joking and laughing with Choi and Kuchar and putting his arm around Choi after 13 I think. He was thanking fans when walking between holes as well. I can't recall seeing Tiger being like that any round, let alone at the Masters.

longirons
Apr 9, 2010, 09:34 AM
I don't really want him to keep his emotions in check... stop the club tossing (especially into crowds.. lol) of course..

I liked what Jim Gray said (a rarity) when he talked about how much swearing etc. he sees with other athletes

dekker
Apr 9, 2010, 09:57 AM
he was less of a d#ck with the gallery for once, acknowledging their presence. I almost got the sense he now realizes he doesn't have to be a nob.

Fantasy09
Apr 9, 2010, 10:04 AM
I think Tiger was a complete 180* from old Tiger. If you watched coverage you saw Tiger joking and laughing with Choi and Kuchar and putting his arm around Choi after 13 I think. He was thanking fans when walking between holes as well. I can't recall seeing Tiger being like that any round, let alone at the Masters.
He is just doing what his management team telling him to do, until the day he doesn't give a s**t anymore.

hogannut
Apr 9, 2010, 12:20 PM

I wouldn't give him a 180......maybe a 120...lol:eek::rofl:

He did well, but the pulled 2nd shot on 14 he kind of "lost his way" and got made when he pulled hooked one into the crowd and "dropped" his club.

Anyway, why try to be someone you aren't? His emotions are what people liked about him, it wasn't until more recent times with the excessive language and club throwing when it got ridiculous. I didn't notice him being like until the British Open 2009, so in more recent times.

This is why his return to golf and this crap about him being a changed man is garbage. When you come to a "self realization" it is about you accepting who you are, and NOT behaving differently.

If his personality on the course is serious and emotional, and doesn't cross the line of what is considered acceptable behaviour for a pro then why are you changing something that is in your personality. Any shrink would be attempting to get the patient to realize this during their therapy.....ooop's I mean treatments!:eek::hush:

guitarman
Apr 9, 2010, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't give him a 180......maybe a 120...lol:eek::rofl:

He did well, but the pulled 2nd shot on 14 he kind of "lost his way" and got made when he pulled hooked one into the crowd and "dropped" his club.

Anyway, why try to be someone you aren't? His emotions are what people liked about him, it wasn't until more recent times with the excessive language and club throwing when it got ridiculous. I didn't notice him being like until the British Open 2009, so in more recent times.

This is why his return to golf and this crap about him being a changed man is garbage. When you come to a "self realization" it is about you accepting who you are, and NOT behaving differently.

If his personality on the course is serious and emotional, and doesn't cross the line of what is considered acceptable behaviour for a pro then why are you changing something that is in your personality. Any shrink would be attempting to get the patient to realize this during their therapy.....ooop's I mean treatments!:eek::hush:

Emotional outbursts is not who you are. Its losing control. The more you can control your self the better off you'll be. Especially in the game of golf.

hogannut
Apr 9, 2010, 12:54 PM
Emotional outbursts is not who you are. Its losing control. The more you can control your self the better off you'll be. Especially in the game of golf.

Agree......and not keeping your emotions in check does not have any benefit for success in this game. Works both ways too, can't get to high when you are playing well, can't get to low when you aren't.

Bellyhungry
Apr 9, 2010, 01:22 PM
I am not sure about the Tiger 2.0....

As far as I am concerned, until they start giving points for congeniality and whatnot at golf tournament like figure skating or synchronized swimming, all that matters should be the score card.

davevandyk
Apr 9, 2010, 01:39 PM
He is just doing what his management team telling him to do, until the day he doesn't give a s**t anymore.

Are you part of that management group? If not then you have no idea of what you are speculating. Tiger is a golfer who is trying to be the best ever, the only way he changes his on-course behaviour is if he thinks it will help him win, not to please fans/sponsors or anybody else.

longirons
Apr 9, 2010, 02:08 PM
Agree......and not keeping your emotions in check does not have any benefit for success in this game. Works both ways too, can't get to high when you are playing well, can't get to low when you aren't.

I don't neccessarily agree.. I find a quick outburst (of reasonable magnitude) can help me shake off things sometimes.. vs. letting it stew inside me and thinking about it as I swing as hard as I possibly can at my next shot (which rarely works..)

Ignatius Reilly
Apr 9, 2010, 02:31 PM
Are you part of that management group? If not then you have no idea of what you are speculating. Tiger is a golfer who is trying to be the best ever, the only way he changes his on-course behaviour is if he thinks it will help him win, not to please fans/sponsors or anybody else.

I agree that he is unlikely to be following the directions of his management group. Why would he? And so here is some more speculation...

I think he is trying to change as part of his therapy. He was acting increasingly narcissistic, selfish and entitled. Part of this past 5 months has been a realization that he had gotten off the path he (and his father) had set him on.

His father once made a quite famous prediction for his son: "He will transcend this game...and bring to the world...a humanitarianism...which has never been known before. The world will be a better place to live in...by virtue of his existence...and his presence".

His on-course behaviour is unlikely to achieve that. There he is the best at what he does, but it's unlikely to change the world.

I think he realizes just how much his legacy has been tarnished, and I think he wants to try to get it back. FWIW I think he wants to save his marriage and family too.

When he's old and retired or dead, it would be one thing if his legacy was "he could really sink putts under pressure, and hit amazing recovery shots with long irons". I think he's aiming higher, and this is part of him getting back on track. I sure hope it doesn't wreck his game at the same time, but yesterday's round didn't look to be in any trouble.

pillpickleson
Apr 9, 2010, 07:40 PM
I agree that he is unlikely to be following the directions of his management group. Why would he? And so here is some more speculation...

I think he is trying to change as part of his therapy. He was acting increasingly narcissistic, selfish and entitled. Part of this past 5 months has been a realization that he had gotten off the path he (and his father) had set him on.

His father once made a quite famous prediction for his son: "He will transcend this game...and bring to the world...a humanitarianism...which has never been known before. The world will be a better place to live in...by virtue of his existence...and his presence".

His on-course behaviour is unlikely to achieve that. There he is the best at what he does, but it's unlikely to change the world.

I think he realizes just how much his legacy has been tarnished, and I think he wants to try to get it back. FWIW I think he wants to save his marriage and family too.

When he's old and retired or dead, it would be one thing if his legacy was "he could really sink putts under pressure, and hit amazing recovery shots with long irons". I think he's aiming higher, and this is part of him getting back on track. I sure hope it doesn't wreck his game at the same time, but yesterday's round didn't look to be in any trouble.

The only thing he has realized is that in order to re coup some of that 100 million dollars he has lost is to re establish a long lost image. But since he didn't want anyone to talk about his personal life and stay out of his personal life all he has done is mention his father and his personal life. Who cares what he wants back or if his wife will if she is insane accept him back. I say never....but who knows and who cares we should only be discussing his golf shots on the course today. He shouldn't be doing ads with his father because people shouldn't be involved in his personal redemption. He should be doing golf ads for Nike like every other golfer, clubs, balls etc like other golfers. Did you see anyone do a commercial involving a family member when they went down the wrong road before. If we aren't to be involved in his personal life than why does he always make us.

As he left the course yesterday with Stiney on his left and body guards surrounding him (for what reason no one knows why he needs body guards are the tarts going to attack him at the masters) that was just crazy. Shouldn't he immediately gone over to the kids and crowds and signed autographs and had the media take some pictures of that for good publicity. Whoever is running his career or whoever is making these decisions are just to me so wrong. The last thing you should have seen is the Tiger team anywhere in his vacinity.

Richd
Apr 9, 2010, 09:31 PM
maybe he us getting death threats etc ....I have heard that some people have tanken this very personally

tomahawktim
Apr 10, 2010, 12:47 AM
Good point, Richd.

Lefty17
Apr 10, 2010, 07:31 AM
When your a professional athletes in any sport in the heat of battle for anything big it's hard to control your emotions. I have no problem with the positive outburst but I'd like to see him control the negative. I don't mind the club waving in his hands or the occasional damnit Tiger. Just no fine worth stuff.