PDA

View Full Version : Open The Floodgates .... True or Myth ??

WILL
May 9, 2010, 10:58 PM
You keep hearing golf commentators tout the phrase but does it ever happen?

Of course they start throwing it out there with Tim Clark's win of the 2010 Players but I suspect this might be one of the more extreme examples where it just won't happen.

The list of players they've thrown this phrase at is endless. The number of players who've gone on to win more than one tournament just don't measure up.

I'm happy to see one of the short guys bring home the hardware but don't go thinking he's a favourite at the next major for TC.

Discuss.

gbrgolf
May 9, 2010, 11:22 PM
You keep hearing golf commentators tout the phrase but does it ever happen?

Of course they start throwing it out there with Tim Clark's win of the 2010 Players but I suspect this might be one of the more extreme examples where it just won't happen.

The list of players they've thrown this phrase at is endless. The number of players who've gone on to win more than one tournament just don't measure up.

I'm happy to see one of the short guys bring home the hardware but don't go thinking he's a favourite at the next major for TC.

Discuss.

Interesting, IMO Tim has to win from the front to be considered an "A" list player, so far he has accomplished what Paul Lowery did a few years back (albeit with much better credentials). This was a great win over a great field, but without the pressure that the guys in the last few groups had!
A buddy of mine won at Disney a few years ago shooting in the low 60's the last day to "backdoor" the victory, but if you asked him, it wasn't until he won at Ginn and Sony from the lead groups that he considered himself ready to win any tournament!
Now, don't jump on me for trashing Clark's huge victory ('cause it was that!), but I just don't think it makes him a favorite to win a Major yet!
Just my thoughts,
gbr

BowmanvilleJim
May 10, 2010, 06:27 AM
Just look at how the flood gates have opened for past Players Championship winners like Craig Perks, Fred Funk, Stephen Ames and Adam Scott.

Lefty17
May 10, 2010, 06:49 AM
I'll go with the myth theory.

Don't forget Scott and Clark have won plenty before winning this one. Just the American's don't like to recongize wins else were around the world.

Does the flood gate open...nope...It just gives you confidence that you have a win. You still have to go out and do it week in and week out.

The flood gates opened for Perks alright.... it washed his game into another planet.

Bwadd
May 10, 2010, 06:55 AM
I'll go with the myth theory.

Don't forget Scott and Clark have won plenty before winning this one. Just the American's don't like to recongize wins else were around the world.

Does the flood gate open...nope...It just gives you confidence that you have a win. You still have to go out and do it week in and week out.

The flood gates opened for Perks alright.... it washed his game into another planet.

Agree 1000% its like the PGA is the only tour that exists... Tim Clark is a very good player, and considering how straight he hits the ball and his pretty good putting, this could indeed open the flood gates.

Lefty17
May 10, 2010, 07:00 AM
Agree 1000% its like the PGA is the only tour that exists... Tim Clark is a very good player, and considering how straight he hits the ball and his pretty good putting, this could indeed open the flood gates.

Don't forget the theory that the second one is harder to win then your first one.

Bwadd
May 10, 2010, 07:04 AM
Don't forget the theory that the second one is harder to win then your first one.

Based on how well he has played on US soil I really think he will win a lot more in the coming years...

Lefty17
May 10, 2010, 07:24 AM
Based on how well he has played on US soil I really think he will win a lot more in the coming years...

IMO it didn't matter if he won TPC or Colonial he was going to win in the near future and probably pick up 5-8 more over his career on US soil.

Chriswalters0990
May 10, 2010, 07:41 AM
Yes, winning the players would deffinatly give him a confidence booster, and maybe some momentum for the season... but he really just had a day where everything started working for him. He had a great day at the links on the sunday, where as everyone else played "alright."
We know he's got the talent... he's the Tiger Slayer... but does he have the consistancy, thats what you need to be the best on tour.

Bwadd
May 10, 2010, 07:43 AM
Yes, winning the players would deffinatly give him a confidence booster, and maybe some momentum for the season... but he really just had a day where everything started working for him. He had a great day at the links on the sunday, where as everyone else played "alright."
We know he's got the talent... he's the Tiger Slayer... but does he have the consistancy, thats what you need to be the best on tour.

How many great days has Tiger had when everyone just played alright... its golf and he has a very good record other than winning... he will win many more times on tour!

pdl16
May 10, 2010, 08:24 AM
Just got word of Perks' new gig.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Dkzk0H_NJr0/Ssedp0bIudI/AAAAAAAAAVM/RDBp5Pup7D8/s400/Slap+Chop.jpeg

Just look at how the flood gates have opened for past Players Championship winners like Craig Perks, Fred Funk, Stephen Ames and Adam Scott.

Bluefan75
May 10, 2010, 08:26 AM

I agree with all of them except Fred Funk. The man was nearly 50 when he won.

(Side note, did anyone see his quote about the Champions Tour? Talking about Couples? "i'm the other Freddy. He's boom-Boom, and I'm Poof-Poof.")

michaeljreid
May 10, 2010, 09:41 AM
I agree with all of them except Fred Funk. The man was nearly 50 when he won.

(Side note, did anyone see his quote about the Champions Tour? Talking about Couples? "i'm the other Freddy. He's boom-Boom, and I'm Poof-Poof.")

LMAO....that is the best "side-note" I have ever read.....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

focal
May 10, 2010, 09:49 AM
Weir's Air Canada Championship win definitely opened the flood gates.

so it definitely happens....although Weir's big Master's win basically ended his great run to 6 wins at the time.

Lefty17
May 10, 2010, 09:57 AM
Weir's Air Canada Championship win definitely opened the flood gates.

so it definitely happens....although Weir's big Master's win basically ended his great run to 6 wins at the time.

It works differently for everyone. My buddy won his first pro event and it took him 2 years to win again. Then you have Weir situation. The Villegas... back to back then a dry spell of a year then another win. Everyone said he'll be winning 4 or 5 times a year after the first two.

gr8glfr
May 10, 2010, 10:10 AM
Tim Clark has a number of second place finishes in his career. He is very consistent in his play and has amassed $20 million in his time on the PGA tour.
This win will certainly give him the confidence to close the deal more often if he is put in that position again.
He should be considered IMO as a potential threat in any tournament he enters, including the majors.
Will he win a major? I don,t know but I will certainly be in his corner if that should happen.

Bern
May 10, 2010, 10:21 AM
I think we will see more of Clark. I have always liked his play and he is consistently around the leader board. Let's not forget the Sunday at the Presidents cup where he hammered Zach Johnson shooting 50 over 15 holes. If he was playing Woods that day he would have beaten him too.

Bosco
May 10, 2010, 06:15 PM
Agree 1000% its like the PGA is the only tour that exists... Tim Clark is a very good player, and considering how straight he hits the ball and his pretty good putting, this could indeed open the flood gates
I just hope he doesn't fall for the classic dork move by introducing changes to his swing....like Perks....Weir. He should just stick with his game and pick off the right courses to challenge.

Fore Play
May 10, 2010, 08:37 PM
When David Duval got his first win the floodgates opened big time...........he went on one of the most incredible runs in golf history and became #1 in the world

golfnutz
May 10, 2010, 08:40 PM
I just hope he doesn't fall for the classic dork move by introducing changes to his swing....like Perks....Weir. He should just stick with his game and pick off the right courses to challenge.

and you can add Padraig Harrington, 3 majors and then he starts to tinker and is rarely in contention. What was he thinking???