PDA

View Full Version : Sad.. RIP Erica Blasberg

longirons
May 10, 2010, 04:21 PM
shocking... not much detail yet..

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/shag-bag/

nearace
May 10, 2010, 04:31 PM
wow at such a young age,terrible loss to the family and the tour.

AverageJoe
May 10, 2010, 04:38 PM
Always always a sad occasion :(

Bosco
May 10, 2010, 05:44 PM
very sad....just 25 years old.

sharkhark
May 10, 2010, 06:00 PM
wow...and in the hottest lpga star i picked her...just a a couple days ago...now it makes me feel kind of creepy and weirded out for doing that....i wonder was it an accident or what?
that young something has to be unusual otherwise. sad.

Bellyhungry
May 10, 2010, 06:31 PM
A young life cut short. Very sad indeed. :(

Rest in peace...

golfnguru
May 10, 2010, 06:51 PM
Sad story.

Seems she might have been having some substance issues.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/319211-erica-blasberg/

3whack
May 10, 2010, 08:17 PM
Very sad, indeed.

LostBallInTheBunker
May 10, 2010, 08:19 PM
I just heard the news from a friend of mine because he knew she was one of my fav LPGA players. I still can't believe it. I got a chance to see her play at the Canadian Open in Ottawa two years ago.

Chriswalters0990
May 10, 2010, 08:55 PM
Thats too bad...at least she made her dreams come true..

BowmanvilleJim
May 10, 2010, 09:01 PM
That's sad. I also picked her as being one of the most attractive LPGA players.

Bwadd
May 10, 2010, 09:31 PM
Very Scary to lose a life that young!:(

braithwaite
May 10, 2010, 09:38 PM
Very sad to hear! She was way to young to pass away. RIP

cmatt03
May 11, 2010, 12:05 AM
from the Press Enterprise, “At first glance it looks like she might have taken her own life, but at second glance, something is very, very strange about it,” said Erica’s father, Mel Blasberg, by phone from Nevada. “We’re waiting for the police to make an investigation, it’s a pending investigation.
“Either way, I lost her and it’s impossible to deal with.”

RIP Erica :(

Greywolf
May 11, 2010, 03:10 AM
Very sad!!

THE 15TH CLUB
May 11, 2010, 08:01 AM
holy crap...that is horrendous...I guess I will leave her avatar up as my tribute

Lefty17
May 11, 2010, 10:42 AM
This is horrible.

A story about the situation...

http://golf.fanhouse.com/2010/05/10/erica-blasberg-found-dead-at-25/

nearace
May 11, 2010, 06:36 PM
Agent: Blasberg had bags packed
LAS VEGAS -- LPGA golfer Erica Blasberg had her bags packed for a tournament in Alabama when she died suddenly at her home in suburban Henderson, her agent said Tuesday. Police aren't saying how she died.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0510/golf_g_blasberg1_65.jpg
Blasberg

Blasberg was scheduled to leave last Sunday to play a qualification round on Monday for the Bell Micro LPGA Classic in Mobile, said the agent, Chase Callahan, who is based in Irvine, Calif.
Callahan and Blasberg's parents, Mel and Debbie Blasberg, of Corona, Calif., began planning Tuesday for a memorial service in her hometown amid questions about Blasberg's death Sunday in her home about 15 miles southeast of the Las Vegas Strip.
"We don't know yet who, what or why," Callahan said, calling Blasberg's death "tragic for her family, the people of Corona, and the people who knew her."
"Police haven't given her family or me any indication of anything," said Callahan, who noted that Blasberg's father was also her golf coach.
"At first glance it looks like she might have taken her own life, but at second glance, something is very, very strange about it," Blasberg's father, Mel, told the Riverside Press-Enterprise. "Either way, I lost her and it's impossible to deal with."
Blasberg was found dead about 3 p.m. Sunday after police responded to a 911 call from the two-story, three-bedroom home Blasberg bought for $281,000 in November 2007.
Police have not said if they suspect foul play, and police spokesman Keith Paul declined again to say Tuesday who summoned police to the house.
Clark County Coroner Michael Murphy said a ruling on a cause of death was pending blood and tissue tests that could take four to six weeks to complete.
Callahan said he didn't know if Blasberg had any visitors during the weekend.
"I don't question any of the relationships that she had in this right now," he said.
The family has scheduled a May 19 memorial service at the Eagle Glen Golf Club in Corona, about 65 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles. Private burial will follow.
Blasberg grew up in Southern California, and was in her sixth season on the LPGA Tour.
She was a former junior golf standout, an All-American in 2003 and 2004. She was the 2003 NCAA Freshman of the Year and 2003 Pac-10 Player of the Year while at the University of Arizona.
She turned professional in June 2004, and won once on the Duramed FUTURES Tour before qualifying for the LPGA Tour in 2005.
Her best year on Tour was 2008, when she earned a career-best tie for eighth at the SBS Open in Hawaii and over $113,000 in winnings, the LPGA said.
Blasberg played in one event this season, tying for 44th in the April 29-May 2 Tres Marias Championship in Morelia, Mexico.

crunch27
May 11, 2010, 08:35 PM
That's truly sad. I was hoping that she would be a future star. We all pray for her and her family. The LPGA's loss.

IXFe
May 12, 2010, 09:58 AM
shocking... not much detail yet..

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/shag-bag/

RIP. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

IXFe
May 12, 2010, 10:00 AM
from the Press Enterprise, “At first glance it looks like she might have taken her own life, but at second glance, something is very, very strange about it,” said Erica’s father, Mel Blasberg, by phone from Nevada. “We’re waiting for the police to make an investigation, it’s a pending investigation.
“Either way, I lost her and it’s impossible to deal with.”

RIP Erica :(

heart-breaking. im sppeechless.

homerj297
May 12, 2010, 12:12 PM
When you read this story - reading between the lines it doesn't sound positive in terms of why/what happend.

Shock and disbelief over Erica Blasberg's death

By RANDALL MELL
Senior Writer, GolfChannel.com
Posted: May 11, 2010
MOBILE, Ala. – Erica Blasberg’s voice kept coming back to him.

Wobbling across Magnolia Grove’s emerald fairways, his player’s bag feeling heavier than it should, Ray Kim got his caddie instructions from a higher plane during Tuesday’s practice round at the Bell Micro LPGA Classic.

Every time Kim felt like putting down Becky Morgan’s bag, he could hear Erica.

“She would tell me to quit being such a `wuss,’” Kim said. “She would tell me that I should `Man up.’ That was Erica. She was so fiery, so competitive, but she was so much fun off the course. I wasn’t her caddie. I was her friend who caddied for her. She brought me out here on tour. She gave me this life. Everything out here reminds me of her.”

And that’s what made Tuesday so painful for Kim.

News that Blasberg, 25, was found dead Sunday in her Henderson, Nev., home outside Las Vegas is hitting her friends in unrelenting waves. Shock, disbelief and sadness mingled with confusion and curiosity from the locker room to the driving range.

“Why?” asks Irene Cho, Blasberg’s closest friend on tour. “What happened? Why did it happen? That’s what we keep asking ourselves.”

Since news of Blasberg’s death reached here Monday, tour pros have struggled with more than the loss of a friend and colleague. They’ve struggled with the mystery. What happened to this attractive young talent who once showed so much promise and was so well liked?

“Everyone’s just in shock,” Cho said. “I can’t believe it. I won’t believe it until I actually see her body.”

A Henderson police spokesman said Tuesday that Blasberg’s death remains under investigation. Police have not released the cause of her death or any details surrounding its circumstances.

The only glimpse inside the mystery came from Blasberg’s father, Mel, who spoke to The Press-Enterprise of Riverside, Calif., on Monday. He’s a golf teacher who’s been integrally involved in the shaping of her game from juniors to pros.

“At first glance, it looks like she might have taken her own life, but at second glance, something is very, very strange,” Mel Blasberg said.

The last time Kim saw Blasberg was at the Tres Marias Championship in Mexico two weeks ago, where Blasberg Monday qualified to get into the field and then tied for 44th. Kim helped her pack before she left Monday morning.

“I told her, `See you in Alabama,’” Kim said.

Cho also was waiting for Blasberg’s arrival here this week. With limited status on tour this season, she was going to play another Monday qualifier in a bid to play her way into this week’s Bell Micro LPGA Classic. Cho was so excited about her friend’s prospects, she offered her caddie, Missy Pederson, to tote her bag. On Sunday, Pederson received a text message from Blasberg. She told Pederson she changed her mind, she wasn’t going to play this week.

“I texted Erica Sunday night to try to find out what happened,” Cho said. “I never got an answer back.”

The Associated Press reported that Blasberg’s bags were packed when she was found dead. LPGA officials said Blasberg had not committed to the Monday qualifier, but it wasn’t unusual for eligible players to commit upon arrival on site.

Cho broke into tears when LPGA commissioner Mike Whan hugged her Tuesday as she left the practice putting green. The flag on property Tuesday was at half mast. Players wore purple ribbons in memory of Blasberg, and LPGA staff made preparations for a memorial to honor her this week.

Beneath the tears, the sadness here, there’s angst and confusion about what happened to this former junior and collegiate champ.

Blasberg grew up in Corona, Calif., as a three-time American Junior Golf Association All-American. She was good enough to play on the boys’ team at Corona High. Her father was a professional instructor and the only swing coach she’s ever known. She went on to become a two-time All-American at the University of Arizona.

“She won everything,” Cho said.

Blasberg was so good that after her sophomore year, she turned pro. She won a Futures Tour event that summer and advanced through LPGA Qualifying School with non-exempt status. She was going to be a star. That was the feeling back home, but it never happened.

In five LPGA seasons, Blasberg’s best finish was a tie for eighth at the SBS Open at Turtle Bay in Hawaii. That’s where she met Kim, a local caddie assigned to her for the week. They hit it off so well that Blasberg talked Kim into leaving the island to become her full-time caddie. They made a strong run at winning with a final-round lead at the 2008 Corning Classic, but Blasberg closed with a 79.

“Erica really believed she was the best player out there every week,” Kim said. “But she didn’t live up to it. She was a really good player, but she had some rough edges she needed to work on and things just didn’t click the way she planned.”

Blasberg and Kim parted ways professionally before last year, but they remained close friends, so close that Kim tried to help her rebound when she slumped last season.

With just five cuts made in 17 events in 2009, Blasberg was down on herself. She returned to Q-School at season’s end.

“Erica didn’t even want to go,” Kim said. “I convinced her to go. I told her I would caddie for her. It was a selfish thing. I wanted her out on tour. She was my best friend.”

With her game unraveling in the second round at Q-School, Blasberg grew despondent.

“She pretty much gave up at the turn,” Kim said. “At the end of the round, she told me she was going home.”

Kim saw a change in Blasberg after that. That failure was an emotional turning point.

“She was supposed to come out and be a star, and she couldn’t make it through Q-School,” Kim said. “I think she saw her life flashing before her eyes. She didn’t finish college, and you could see her struggling with the idea, `What else am I going to do?’”

Blasberg openly talked of feeling depressed after the Q-School failure.

Kim said Blasberg was always full of life and had a sense of adventure. It was hard to see her down.

“She either wanted to be laughing or making someone laugh,” Kim said.

Cho was drawn to that quality, too.

“Erica was so spontaneous, so spur of the moment,” Cho said. “She was intense on the course, but she taught me how to have fun off it. She told me that I had to loosen up. She totally rubbed off on me.”

Kim was worried about Blasberg after Q-School. He worried not seeing her when she headed back to Las Vegas.

“She said she was bored in Las Vegas,” Kim said. “She didn’t know anybody, but Erica liked to party.”

Kim said his worries fell away when he saw Blasberg two weeks ago at the Tres Marias Championship. The fact that she traveled to Mexico to try to Monday qualify told him all he needed about her renewed motivation. She seemed revitalized there. Blasberg even told Kim about the work she had been doing with her father on her swing.

“He’s tough, and he’s very strict and he can be intimidating, but he loves her very much,” Kim said. “She’s his life, his pride and joy.”

Kim said Mel Blasberg’s toughness rubbed off on his daughter. She was as tough as he was. She was no wilting flower in papa’s presence.

“I remember once when he wanted me to start lining her up before her shots,” Kim said. “She told him she would rather quit playing golf than ever let somebody line her up.”

In Mexico, Kim told Blasberg that she felt really good about the bonding she and her father enjoyed over the winter break, when she was so down and needed his help.

“It was unreal how happy she was in Mexico,” Kim said. “That’s why this is so confusing.”

And why her death is so sadly mysterious.

north ridge
May 14, 2010, 10:07 PM
I've been on Team Blasberg for a long time. Best story I've read on this. Very,very sad.

MattTitleist
May 20, 2010, 10:58 PM
have they released the cause of death yet?

Lefty17
May 30, 2010, 12:38 PM
Just found this....

http://www.tmz.com/2010/05/28/erica-blasberg-lpga-death-police-raid-murder-golf-investigation/

woody
May 30, 2010, 01:49 PM
Xanax by itself is a good anti anxiety treatment and also has some anti depressant properties. This is in a class of drugs called Benzodiazapene's. One can usually take a truckload of these drugs as some tolerance develops. BUT - they are extremely dangerous when taken with alcohol. This might have been a case of accidental overdose, or accidental self medicating with alcohol.

For golfers this reminds of the preassures of the tour - and just how talented these players are at the top level. Very sad - my opionion is accidental overdose.

gbrgolf
May 30, 2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the clarification Woody... hadn't heard that yet!
This whole thing is quite bizarre! We have a "wall of fame" in our test center with all the Tour players that have won using our products and other players that have loyal to us. Erica is on that wall, what is so weird, is that who would think that she would be the first to pass away!
great person, who is missed by many!
RIP
gbr

nearace
Jun 2, 2010, 06:22 PM
Blasberg's father says Erica had personal relationship with doctor

Posted at 1:24 PM by Mike Walker (http://search.golf.com/site/results.html?Ntt=Mike Walker) | Categories: Erica Blasberg (http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/erica-blasberg/)
Erica Blasberg's father said his daughter was not depressed prior to her mysterious death on May 9 and that he knew that his daughter has "something other than a professional patient-doctor relationship" with Dr. Thomas Hess.
In an interview with The Early Show on CBS (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/02/earlyshow/main6540363.shtml), Mel Blasberg said he was not surprised that police investigators searched Hess's Las Vegas medical practice and home just days after Erica's death. The Las Vegas Review-Journal (http://www.lvrj.com/news/raid-reportedly-linked-to-death-investigation-95396104.html) reported that police confiscated "several computers, two video cameras, a cell phone and a global positioning system" from Hess's home. Police also took white trash bags and a computer from his office, The Review-Journal said.
"The whole issue with Dr. Hess is -- it's been vague, ambiguous, almost, and as these events are coming out, I'm learning about them just like everybody else is," Mel Blasberg told CBS. He added that his daughter had mentioned Hess the week before she died.
"I had seen Erica the Thursday before the Saturday that she died or Sunday that she died, and she was mentioning that she had a friend who was a doctor," Blasberg said. "But that was it. I didn't even know the guy's name. It wasn't until all these pieces of the puzzle came together, so-to-speak, that I knew who he was. There's no doubt Erica and this doctor had something other than a professional patient-doctor relationship. I'm not implying anything beyond the fact that I know for a fact that they played golf."
Mel Blasberg also said his daughter was in good spirits prior to her death. When Erica was found dead in her Henderson, Nev., home, her bags were packed for the Bell Micro LPGA Classic in Mobile, Ala., where she intended to play the following day.
"And I should say that the question that I posed to the police department, and I think it's important for everybody to know this as well, is Erica was fine," Mel Blasberg told CBS. "You could just tell, she couldn't wait to get there. We know that she packed a bag on Friday ... so she was ready to go. What happened to Erica after she did all this, for her not to go to Alabama, which is where the event is? That's a question that has to be answered. There's only thing I can think of and that's something off the (golf) course."
According to The Las Vegas Review-Journal, Henderson police are calling their inquiry a "death investigation."
Authorities have said that a 911 call that summoned investigators to Blasberg's home came from inside the house and that she was not alone upon officers' arrival.
Hess, a family practice doctor, did not return a phone call at his office Tuesday. His lawyer, Charles Kelly, declined to comment.
Clark County Coroner Mike Murphy has said toxicology results might not be ready until late June.
Mel Blasberg told CBS that he's speaking publicly about the case because he believes the media has reported misinformation about his daughter.
"The three things you said are all wrong," he said. "So, 'A,' she was not depressed. In a medical sense. She was never treated for it. Never went to a doctor for it. Financially, contrary to what everybody is saying, Erica's off-course income was substantial. Perhaps not as much as the PGA Tour guys. To say that Erica was upset about how she played the year before, that is a correct statement. But that was the year before. Erica was fine as she went into this year. Although she had a tough route to follow, because she had to do some qualifying. So again part of your original question is, 'Why am I here? Why am I doing this?' It's to clarify things that are just wrong."

Read more: http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2010/06/blasbergs-father-says-erica-knew.html#ixzz0pjzuxHwa

jerms
Dec 2, 2010, 11:16 AM
Nevada doctor pleads guilty to obstruction in golfer Erica Blasberg suicide case

The Associated Press
HENDERSON, Nev. - A Las Vegas physician who found the body of professional golfer Erica Blasberg after she committed suicide has pleaded guilty to misdemeanour obstruction.

Henderson Municipal Judge Diana Hampton sentenced Dr. Thomas Hess on Wednesday to one year probation and 40 hours of community service.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported that Hess told authorities he removed a suicide note and prescription medications from Blasberg's home before police arrived to investigate her death.
Hess says he wanted to spare her family embarrassment.
The 25-year-old Blasberg was found May 9 with a plastic bag over her head at her Henderson, Nev., home.
The Clark County coroner's office in August ruled the death a suicide. It says she died of asphyxia with traces of prescription drugs in her body.

par72
Dec 2, 2010, 12:33 PM
Thank you for the update. Does it not seem plainly obvious that he Killed her to anyone else? None of the agreed upon "facts" make any sense together...?

Nevada doctor pleads guilty to obstruction in golfer Erica Blasberg suicide case

The Associated Press
HENDERSON, Nev. - A Las Vegas physician who found the body of professional golfer Erica Blasberg after she committed suicide has pleaded guilty to misdemeanour obstruction.

Henderson Municipal Judge Diana Hampton sentenced Dr. Thomas Hess on Wednesday to one year probation and 40 hours of community service.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported that Hess told authorities he removed a suicide note and prescription medications from Blasberg's home before police arrived to investigate her death.
Hess says he wanted to spare her family embarrassment.
The 25-year-old Blasberg was found May 9 with a plastic bag over her head at her Henderson, Nev., home.
The Clark County coroner's office in August ruled the death a suicide. It says she died of asphyxia with traces of prescription drugs in her body.

Richd
Dec 3, 2010, 09:30 AM
sounds like a very strange way to commit suicide...Hang him!!!!

dekker
Dec 4, 2010, 10:51 AM
The guy is dirty, no doubt.

Bern
Dec 4, 2010, 11:12 AM
While the whole thing stinks to high heaven, you cannot incarcerate someone on hypotheticals and conjecture.

The Troll
Dec 4, 2010, 11:22 AM
A few months before her death her tweets were posted on Golfwrx. I felt they revealed a person going through their own struggles and demons.

The thread and the tweets were taken down shortly thereafter, long before she passed away....she took a fair bit of 'net abuse over those.

It is a very sad story.

RiskyBusiness
Dec 4, 2010, 02:25 PM
Golf Central had Mr. Blasberg on the other day. He was asked if he could ever recover from this...

- RB.

dekker
Dec 4, 2010, 07:14 PM
Calling Dexter.:shhh:

Pingeye2_fan
Dec 5, 2010, 05:54 PM
Wonder if the doctor was married and was seeing her on the side?

RiskyBusiness
Dec 5, 2010, 06:38 PM
Heard his wife and him (Dr.) were going through tough times. Separated but that apparently was unrelated if you believe the accounts.

- RB.

golfnguru
Dec 5, 2010, 09:11 PM

I'm pretty sure that I read that the Dr. and Erica had a relationship. I know her father alluded to it.

RiskyBusiness
Dec 6, 2010, 07:34 PM
Failing marriage, recreational prescription drugs, dead body...all things you don't want to be anywhere near.

- RB.