PDA

View Full Version : Hank Haney drops Tiger!

Pages : [1] 2

Json
May 10, 2010, 10:09 PM
It’s breaking news right now on the Golf Channel… Hank Haney has resigned as Tiger Woods’ swing coach.

Ignatius Reilly
May 10, 2010, 10:21 PM
Who cares??

Haven't we talked enough about Tiger's troubles????

I just want to talk about Tiger winning, and nothing else!:p

Weirfan
May 10, 2010, 10:27 PM
Who cares??

Haven't we talked enough about Tiger's troubles????

I just want to talk about Tiger winning, and nothing else!:p

hope you are a patient man with that desire.

he seems to be pretty messed up these days, mentally, physically ( if you take the his excuse for quitting at at face value, opinions are pretty split on that one it would appear)

I don doubt he will win again , probably this year.....but wow...things just keep getting worse and worse for him

Duff
May 10, 2010, 10:36 PM
The writing was on the wall anyway. Haney saves face by resigning now before he would have been dumped. Look for the Sean Foley announcement soon.

bk51
May 10, 2010, 10:37 PM
Maybe those Sean Foley rumours of the last few days will turn out to be true...

Mr. T?

TourIQ
May 10, 2010, 10:44 PM
It’s breaking news right now on the Golf Channel… Hank Haney has resigned as Tiger Woods’ swing coach.Maybe Hank didn't know Tiger had a sore neck :rofl:

3whack
May 11, 2010, 04:57 AM
http://www.hankhaney.com/

May 10, 2010

I have informed Tiger Woods this evening that I will no longer be his coach.

I would like to thank Tiger for the opportunity that I have had to work with him over the past 6 plus years. Tiger Woods has done the work to achieve a level of greatness that I believe the game of golf has never seen before and I will always appreciate the opportunity that I have had to contribute to his successes. I have also enjoyed the association that I have had with Tiger both on and off the golf course as I have had some incredible experiences. In coaching and teaching Tiger I have also learned a lot, not only about golf, but about people and life in general. It has been a great learning experience and along the way Tiger has elevated me in my own profession to a level that I never thought I would achieve before I had the opportunity to work with him.

In many ways because of all of the time that I have spent with Tiger, I may have learned more from him than he has ever learned from me. So I believe at this time that it is in both of our best interests for me to step aside as Tiger's coach.

I will always look back upon our past half dozen years together as my best days in professional golf. It would be a dream of any coach to have a student like Tiger Woods and for me it was a dream come true. Just so there is no confusion I would like to make it clear that this is my decision. Tiger Woods and I will always be friends, but I believe that there is a time and place for everything and I feel at this time and at this place in my life I want to move forward in other areas.

Tiger has been just an incredible performer in golf and he has achieved great success throughout his career. First with his father Earl, and then with Butch Harmon as his coach, followed by me, I know Tiger Woods will be successful in the future no matter who helps him. He is an incredible athlete with an incredible work ethic. As we all know, Tiger has been through a lot in the last six months, and I really believe that given the chance, mind free and injury free, we will all see Tiger Woods play once again like we all know he can.

I wish Tiger well, not only with his golf, but in finding peace and happiness in all aspects of his life. Tiger knows that if he ever needs me in anyway, whether it be with his golf or just as a friend he can always call. I will always, as I have been in the past, be there for him. From a personal standpoint, I look forward to being able to make many more contributions to the great game of golf in the days and years ahead

mpare
May 11, 2010, 05:45 AM
Bring back Butch!

It’s breaking news right now on the Golf Channel… Hank Haney has resigned as Tiger Woods’ swing coach.

shankuverymuch
May 11, 2010, 05:50 AM
Bring back Butch!

Tiger has hired Jesse James as his Shwing Coach !!! :D:D:D

bigbertha
May 11, 2010, 06:02 AM
Bring back Butch!

Amen to that but I think both guys are too proud to make the first step. But seriously can you imagine Phil and Tiger under the same coach?:rofl:

3whack
May 11, 2010, 06:12 AM
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/83009002.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5482CD8202716A16506 D820B97FDC354B734531E4B4ADCD1886E30A760B0D811297

ZachOly
May 11, 2010, 06:30 AM
"Dude...you're ruining my reputation as a teacher! We're done. H."

Chriswalters0990
May 11, 2010, 06:38 AM
Wow...thats just one more thing to mess with tigers head...
tough year.

isitour
May 11, 2010, 06:40 AM
Tiger has hired Jesse James as his Shwing Coach !!! :D:D:D

+1 Thats what I'm talk'in about...lol

GAME
May 11, 2010, 07:15 AM
The writing was on the wall anyway. Haney saves face by resigning now before he would have been dumped. Look for the Sean Foley announcement soon.

this ^^^^

dekker
May 11, 2010, 07:17 AM
good to see Haney take the preemptive position. You seldom see that in coaching.
Not a good time for Foley to step in either IMO. Woods doesn't need a swing coach ,he needs a psychiatrist to help him through the mess he made.

jerms
May 11, 2010, 07:24 AM
good to see Haney take the preemptive position. You seldom see that in coaching.
Not a good time for Foley to step in either IMO. Woods doesn't need a swing coach ,he needs a psychiatrist to help him through the mess he made.

Maybe that's why Foley will step in... He can bring his Zen approach to Tiger and theories off and on the course.

Andru
May 11, 2010, 07:27 AM

I disagree Tiger is not mentally unstable. He needs a swing coach. The Haney experiment worked because Tiger was a great putter, Tiger never hit it straight enough.

Sean Foley will be interesting. he's not a big weight shift guy. Sean O'Hair? Well he does strike the ball really well. i suppose if Sean had Tiger's short game he'd have a few majors by now.

THE 15TH CLUB
May 11, 2010, 07:46 AM
This was really a huge suprise for me. I guess it is true that he wanted to drop Tiger before he got fired. Reality though is that if you are great teacher....even if you get fired lots of players will continue to seek you out....ie Butch Harmon. But Haney is no Harmon and as stated in other posts...Haney has no other REAL students.

Who is next.....Foley....O'Hair and Tiger are pretty good buddies so it might be a easier move (O'Meara/Woods/Haney). O'Hair has a nice swing and Foley is the best up and coming teacher. Next to Harmon, he is probably the next guy....Forget Leadbetter, Flick. etc etc.

Tiger needs more time away from the game to get his personal life in order and then and only then can he give full concentration to rebuilding his golf swing. Anyone here who has gone through an ugly divorce or ugly family situation.....just think his is that x 100. Pretty hard to focus.

3whack
May 11, 2010, 07:47 AM
Maybe that's why Foley will step in... He can bring his Zen approach to Tiger and theories off and on the course.

In that case, he can also bring in Dr. Joe Parent, and they can discuss the principles of the Shambhala warrior.

dekker
May 11, 2010, 08:02 AM
I disagree Tiger is not mentally unstable. He needs a swing coach. The Haney experiment worked because Tiger was a great putter, Tiger never hit it straight enough.

Sean Foley will be interesting. he's not a big weight shift guy. Sean O'Hair? Well he does strike the ball really well. i suppose if Sean had Tiger's short game he'd have a few majors by now.

Hate to disagree about the mental unstableness of the man. What you see on the course is like what you see of an iceberg.

If you have ever witnessed a friend go through a bad marriage or through divorce you know their day is a roller-coaster of emotions. They may make it through the workday because it's a routine that is easy to follow, but when they get home it's a mess. Seen it too often.

Bellyhungry
May 11, 2010, 08:12 AM
Haney 'drops' Tiger huh? Kind of like a John Smith declines to be Gulbis' BF.

As for Tiger's mental state of mind. I agree that all the off-course distractions are getting to him. It will be interesting to see if he could pull himself out of it. The old adage of what doesn't kill you will make you stronger would apply here.

As for all the detractors' prognostications, they are simply just that or simply wishful thinking.

Bentley01
May 11, 2010, 08:47 AM
Throughout his career, Tiger has always had a problem with the driver. It's just a bit worse right now. He will figure it out, despite his personal issues. Maybe he'll try a bit more conservative approach off the tee. (Like he did at the British Open). His irons will give him ample birdie opportunities.

LowPost42
May 11, 2010, 09:28 AM
Lionel! Now's your chance!

burkie08
May 11, 2010, 10:19 AM
It would be interesting to see if Foley was his new coach. He could do a lot more for him than just help him with his golf swing. as mentioned O`hair and Tiger are pretty good buds and Foley also resides in Florida now for the most part. :rolleyes:

Pingeye2_fan
May 11, 2010, 10:30 AM
Sorry Tiger can't see you this week I'm working with Phil.

Regards,
Butch:rofl:

gr8glfr
May 11, 2010, 10:30 AM
I think it's a good move for Haney to get out while he can.
I do think that his "Haney Project" series will die once he has done the Romano project. After all, what other high profile golfers does he teach? Not enough big guns in his stable.
He could always go back to doing the "Orlimar tri-metal" infomercials :D

Bwadd
May 11, 2010, 10:41 AM
I think this was smart for Haney to get out now and I think he was fed up with all the drama... for a couple weeks now he has been harrased by the media about his job with Tiger and I think he is wise to move on.

I would not be surprised to see him get a lot more clients now that Tiger is gone!

Lefty17
May 11, 2010, 10:50 AM
Does that make Hank 0 for 3 in his projects??

Best thing to happen for Tigers game. He had zero consistency IMO with Hank as a teacher. I know it's the game of golf but Tiger could be smooth and incontrol one day and lose control the next.

I think Foley and Tiger should get together. Both have a vision of the swing. Hank has a method.

abz-pete
May 11, 2010, 12:04 PM
Tiger got rid of Butch because didn't want him spending time with other players (his rivals) .... Tiger will probably demand exclusivity, which rules out a return to Butch... so do you think Foley would take a gamble and give up his other players?

ZachOly
May 11, 2010, 12:06 PM
Can't wait for the updated ad on Golf Channel:

TIGER WOODS: I'm stacked!

LobWedge
May 11, 2010, 12:09 PM
He's going to teach Elin. Apparently she has a better swing, and he doesn't want any conflict of interest. :D

Lefty17
May 11, 2010, 12:11 PM
Tiger got rid of Butch because didn't want him spending time with other players (his rivals) .... Tiger will probably demand exclusivity, which rules out a return to Butch... so do you think Foley would take a gamble and give up his other players?

I don't think it was all the players he was teaching it was the media stuff he was doing. He became a infomecial person. Hank is in the same spot as Butch was.

Heres a blog about who's going to coach TW next.... It's humourous IMO I think he left out one coach.

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2010/05/rumors-who-will-be-tigers-next-coach.html

focal
May 11, 2010, 03:47 PM
paraphrasing Jim McLean's quote....this is a good way to self promote yourself

"Over the past few weeks, there has been speculation that Tiger Woods is unsatisfied with current swing coach Hank Haney. In a statement released earlier today, <fill in your name> had this to say: "I've been contacted by several people very close to Tiger Woods in regards to becoming his personal swing coach. I'm not interested in the position and I'm not considering it for the future."

racmbs
May 11, 2010, 03:53 PM
Haney didn't drop Tiger, Tiger dropped Haney.

Period....the way it's being displayed publicly is so Haney can save face and look like the hero. I'd be willing to bet Tiger told him the working relationship was done, and that he could publicly state that it was he (Hank) who decided to end it.

I'm not buying it one minute that Haney dropped his gravy train, NOT A CHANCE.

chiantibro
May 11, 2010, 04:17 PM

Period....the way it's being displayed publicly is so Haney can save face and look like the hero. I'd be willing to bet Tiger told him the working relationship was done, and that he could publicly state that it was he (Hank) who decided to end it.

Scott, I have to disagree with you. I think that Haney's had enough of the dude. I know I have.

racmbs
May 11, 2010, 04:33 PM
Scott, I have to disagree with you. I think that Haney's had enough of the dude. I know I have.

Well then I disagree right back at you! :p :D

P25
May 11, 2010, 04:53 PM

The way I see it as well. Haney has a lot more to lose by being fired than Tiger does. Tiger let him take the easy out. Happens all the time in sports (and business for that matter).

ginrin
May 11, 2010, 05:04 PM
Why do people get so bent out of shape about teachers? Butch did not make Tiger as much as Hank did,they all hit it pretty good on tour and the last guy I saw dominating the PGA tour was a fella called Tiger.The reason Phil became close is because of Dave Stockton's putting guidance as Phil still hits it all over the place.
If you really know golf look at the putting stats of each week's winner and he will be at the top or close to it.Even after Couples victory against Pavin,he stated he putted better than Pavin for the first time in his career.

sharkhark
May 11, 2010, 05:07 PM
how come nobody guesses at what may be the truth....he was going to be let go...so tiger gave him the opportunity to quit...rather than be let go..which would have been viewed as "being fired".
I think that is the truth...but then...who cares.:D

P25
May 11, 2010, 05:09 PM
how come nobody guesses at what may be the truth....he was going to be let go...so tiger gave him the opportunity to quit...rather than be let go..which would have been viewed as "being fired".
I think that is the truth...but then...who cares.:D

Isn't that what racmbs and I said basically? :confused:

Cybergolfer
May 11, 2010, 05:24 PM
Lionel! Now's your chance!

Do you have something against Lionel:)

WILL
May 11, 2010, 05:25 PM
It's time to call Butch, kiss and make up. TW never played better than when Butch was at the helm and no one could touch Tiger in tournament play back then either.

pillpickleson
May 11, 2010, 05:29 PM

+1 I would agree I think Butch saw what he was doing with the tarts back then and all know Butch if you don't concentrate on your game and keep your mind focused your done. You can see the way he is almost disappointed in his interviews about him now. I think Haney felt the same until he gets his mind back together and now his body what's the point. I think it was exactly as he said there is nothing he can do to help him right now. Meaning Tiger has to help himself first. Of course the Tiger worshippers would never believe you could leave the ohh so wonderful. But in the end if he isn't changing it's just too frustrating from a coaching point of view. Yes we'll all make our choices but I think how it's playing out is how it is. There are other factors but those would just be attacked so no point in posting those like this isn't enough to be attacked.:hush:

racmbs
May 11, 2010, 05:34 PM
+1 I would agree I think Butch saw what he was doing with the tarts back then and all know Butch if you don't concentrate on your game and keep your mind focused your done. You can see the way he is almost disappointed in his interviews about him now. I think Haney felt the same until he gets his mind back together and now his body what's the point. I think it was exactly as he said there is nothing he can do to help him right now. Meaning Tiger has to help himself first. Of course the Tiger worshippers would never believe you could leave the ohh so wonderful. But in the end if he isn't changing it's just too frustrating from a coaching point of view. Yes we'll all make our choices but I think how it's playing out is how it is. There are other factors but those would just be attacked so no point in posting those like this isn't enough to be attacked.:hush:

Honestly, go bury your head in the sand.

pillpickleson
May 11, 2010, 05:39 PM
Honestly, go bury your head in the sand.

Possibly you could send that message to Tiger at this point might help him.

sharkhark
May 11, 2010, 05:42 PM
Isn't that what racmbs and I said basically? :confused:
close....:p

Bellyhungry
May 11, 2010, 06:18 PM

Exacto-mondo.

racmbs
May 11, 2010, 06:25 PM
Possibly you could send that message to Tiger at this point might help him.

Dad's calling pill, your late for dinner and the Tiger hate-on circle jerk starts at 9 in the basement when Mom falls asleep.

Ignatius Reilly
May 11, 2010, 06:32 PM
+1 I would agree I think Butch saw what he was doing with the tarts back then and all know Butch if you don't concentrate on your game and keep your mind focused your done. You can see the way he is almost disappointed in his interviews about him now. I think Haney felt the same until he gets his mind back together and now his body what's the point..:hush:

Yeah, that seems likely.

Either that, or the funniest thing I've read yet. Please tell me you were joking....