PDA

View Full Version : Tiger-Haney-Barkley

RCCHGA
May 12, 2010, 09:37 AM
The word I hear is Tiger has been concerned for sometime with Haney's commercial image, as portrayed on his TV show. Given that this might be true, here's a personal observation on this. This past winter, I was participating in an event down south and found myself on the range hitting next to Charles Barkley. He was hitting driver and smacking the ball dead straight about 280 - 300 each time with no sign of his wacky swing. I tried to engage him in conversation but he is not known to be the most personable pro athlete. However, I did speak to one of the players in his foursome and mentioned that the person I watched on the Haney show didn't jive with what I was watching on the range. He said the Haney gig was just pure fiction and that Barkley has been an excellent golfer for years. I can't imagine that any professional golfer would want to be associated with a swing coach engaged in that type of promotion.

Lefty17
May 12, 2010, 09:43 AM
The word I hear is Tiger has been concerned for sometime with Haney's commercial image, as portrayed on his TV show. Given that this might be true, here's a personal observation on this. This past winter, I was participating in an event down south and found myself on the range hitting next to Charles Barkley. He was hitting driver and smacking the ball dead straight about 280 - 300 each time with no sign of his wacky swing. I tried to engage him in conversation but he is not known to be the most personable pro athlete. However, I did speak to one of the players in his foursome and mentioned that the person I watched on the Haney show didn't jive with what I was watching on the range. He said the Haney gig was just pure fiction and that Barkley has been an excellent golfer for years. I can't imagine that any professional golfer would want to be associated with a swing coach engaged in that type of promotion.

Tiger doesn't like anybody that becomes popular because of him. Butch and Fluff started to become bigger names and TW let them go. Hank now has had 3 shows and is becoming that figure even greater then Butch and Fluff IMO. Charles has always been known to stripe it on the range. He's not focused on hitting a certain shot. When he gets to the course it's another story. I don't believe he's been an excellent golfer for years.

Ignatius Reilly
May 12, 2010, 09:50 AM
The word I hear is Tiger has been concerned for sometime with Haney's commercial image..... I can't imagine that any professional golfer would want to be associated with a swing coach engaged in that type of promotion.

I'm not judging - but it just doesn't seem like good timing for Tiger to drop Haney based on... morals and ethical behaviour.

pdl16
May 12, 2010, 11:47 AM
This is true. I have long questioned Haney's morals and ethical values as well.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/03/09/alg_tiger_haney.jpg

Haney advises tiger. " Bump her and Run Tiger "

I'm not judging - but it just doesn't seem like good timing for Tiger to drop Haney based on... morals and ethical behaviour.

Golden Bear
May 12, 2010, 12:18 PM
I thought it was Tiger who encouraged Hank to do the show and work with Barkley.

pdl16
May 12, 2010, 02:52 PM
I agree. But Barkley's swing almost does appear as if it has been rehearsed to appear as bad as it does.
Unless he is a big Furyk fan...cue the doublemint moment..

http://foreball.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/p1_barkley.jpghttp://img.timeinc.net/golf/i/equipment/Jim-Furyk_299x399.jpg

And here's a rare photo of Furyk's swing coach..

http://www.lowculture.com/archives/images/dorfongolf.jpg

Allstargravytrain
May 12, 2010, 04:21 PM
This is a huge rag of a website but unreliable gossip is always entertaining:

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/05/exclusive-coach-who-left-tiger-has-no-regard-person

RCCHGA
May 12, 2010, 09:00 PM
Tiger doesn't like anybody that becomes popular because of him. Butch and Fluff started to become bigger names and TW let them go. Hank now has had 3 shows and is becoming that figure even greater then Butch and Fluff IMO. Charles has always been known to stripe it on the range. He's not focused on hitting a certain shot. When he gets to the course it's another story. I don't believe he's been an excellent golfer for years.

Only saw him on the range so can only comment on his swing which was very fluid and great tempo. No sign of that weird hitch he had on the show. It was a shotgun start and I wasn't close to his group but I believe his score was in the mid 80s. He didn't get that good from being on Haney's show.....

Braggs Point
May 14, 2010, 09:44 PM
I don't believe he's been an excellent golfer for years.

He most certainly has been, and for years....! That Haney show is about as credible as Jerry Springer...

hogannut
May 15, 2010, 08:47 PM

Exactly......at this point does it really matter who "dropped" who. Bottom line is Woods is at the lowest he has ever been BOTH as a professional and an amatuer. Not a good time to be without a swing coach. Let's keep in mind that Woods has been winning most of the tournaments he has played in since he was 8 years old.

As a kid he had his father, then he had Butch, and then Hank. In all those scenarios he was more or less the best, and the one everyone was trying to beat. Now he is chasing the other guys and has no one, no coach, no father, and no family. No matter how mentally tough you may be as an athlete no human being is capable of over coming all these obstacles alone.

Although some on this forum think that sticking pins in my Tiger doll is a day to day routine for me, I can't see how he can simply play himself out of this scenario.

IMHO......Woods #1 task at hand should be to fire his management team and start over from scratch. "Steniy" has seemingly allowed Tiger to more or less destroy his comeback, and has not done a very good job at managing his return to golf, which is his job.....to manage Tiger's career.

As for what Tiger does next in golf, it is a pretty tough question. I would highly doubt there are any teachers out there right now who would agree exclusivity with him, maybe he should forget about doing swing changes and go back and look at some footage of himself in early 2000's and just copy that swing, as that was when his swing was the most sound and consistent.

He needs to go back to basics, and forget this tweek and that tweek and just hit the shot. He has seemingly chosen to comeback to golf before dealing with his personal issues, which puts even more pressure on him. His life has been so complicated lately, that having some simplicity should be a high priority on his list. Pick a swing thought that works and try not go any deeper than that. Once he gets his personal life in order then start looking for a coach if you want.

He is trying to do everything at once and it seems obvious he can't do it. He can't comeback to the game, fix his image, go to "treatments", resolve his marriage issues all at the same time. Pick one task and complete it, then move on to the next. Problem is this could take years, not weeks or months.

TourIQ
May 15, 2010, 09:04 PM
Exactly......at this point does it really matter who "dropped" who. Bottom line is Woods is at the lowest he has ever been BOTH as a professional and an amatuer. Not a good time to be without a swing coach. Let's keep in mind that Woods has been winning most of the tournaments he has played in since he was 8 years old.Having a coach for an extended period of time is not a bad thing. Tiger should know his own swing well
enough that he can play at a high level without the constant tweaking that comes with having a coach.

hogannut
May 15, 2010, 09:11 PM
Having a coach for an extended period of time is not a bad thing. Tiger should know his own swing well
enough that he can play at a high level without the constant tweaking that comes with having a coach.

I agree......maybe not necessarily to fix his swing, but just to have someone that can give him some encouragment, so he can get his confidence back.

Using hockey as an example, you hear many NHL coaches say that when the team is playing poorly that is the time that coach doesn't say to much and keeps it really simple and tries to get the players to believe in themselves again.

Sometimes the best thing a coach can do is nothing.......just show up and be there for them is enough. That is harder than it sounds when you are the coach because your first instinct is to "fix" what is broken.

Chambokl
May 15, 2010, 09:12 PM
I would highly doubt there are any teachers out there right now who would agree exclusivity with him

I hope you are trying to make a joke here... if not this is just a ridiculous comment...:rofl:

hogannut
May 15, 2010, 09:20 PM
I hope you are trying to make a joke here... if not this is just a ridiculous comment...:rofl:

Well.......we'll see who he ends up with, and how long it takes and if that instructor gives him exclusivity. Not going to get into another Tiger argument, but believe it or not this would be a tough sell to any teacher with credentials worthy of Tiger.

A golf teacher is only as good as his students results, and right now I would think most golf teachers at the PGA level would be very cautious of commiting to TIger exclusively. The media attention alone would make many of them scratch their head. Not saying the decesion would be an easy one, but will say 6 months ago those same teachers would have agreed in a New York minute to whatever Tiger's conditions were. Right now.........much tougher of a choice.

Perhaps you could explain how and why my opinion is "ridiculous".

rgk5
May 16, 2010, 05:13 AM

His comment has much merit. Given the fickle nature of Tiger and his camp added to the scrutiny of the media, the teacher would be in a giant fish bowl.

An exclusive deal could be career suicide if Tiger tanks.

Bentley01
May 16, 2010, 07:06 AM
His comment has much merit. Given the fickle nature of Tiger and his camp added to the scrutiny of the media, the teacher would be in a giant fish bowl.

An exclusive deal could be career suicide if Tiger tanks.

Do you really think Tiger is going to pull a "David Duvall"? Come on. He finished 4th in the Masters. Hardly off the radar, especially with what had been going on.

Fickle? Maybe about some things, but not about his golf coaches. Both had been with him for YEARS. Not even close to the definition of fickle.

Note, I'm not much of a Tiger fan, but you have to admit that he is probably the best golfer to ever play the game. A guy like that doesn't just lose it, never to be heard from again.

All golfers go through slumps, Tiger just hasn't had as many (or as long) as ALL of the other golfers on tour. Some of you guys continue to blur the line between Tiger's golf game and his loose morality.

Bentley01
May 16, 2010, 07:13 AM
There are only two coaches that would not accept the gig to coach Tiger's swing: Haney and Harmon. Everyone else would accept the challenge in a heartbeat. It's the ticket to untold millions, a definite "career builder".

Put it another way, if a coach was offered the position (and he was available to do it), but turned it down, because he didn't think he could get Tiger fixed, that would be the end of the coach's career - at least as a top-tier coach. It would be like a lawyer declining to take a case, because it was "too hard", a chef saying he doesn't think he could make a dish, etc...

hogannut
May 16, 2010, 07:17 AM
Do you really think Tiger is going to pull a "David Duvall"? Come on. He finished 4th in the Masters. Hardly off the radar, especially with what had been going on.

Fickle? Maybe about some things, but not about his golf coaches. Both had been with him for YEARS. Not even close to the definition of fickle.

Note, I'm not much of a Tiger fan, but you have to admit that he is probably the best golfer to ever play the game. A guy like that doesn't just lose it, never to be heard from again.

All golfers go through slumps, Tiger just hasn't had as many (or as long) as ALL of the other golfers on tour. Some of you guys continue to blur the line between Tiger's golf game and his loose morality.

No.....no blurred lines at least for me. From 1997 to 2008 he was arguably the best that ever played. Even before the scandal "weird" things were happening in Tigerland. He missed the cut at the British, he was "losing" it mentally during competition, he lost his first Sunday battle when a major title was on the line.

Regardless......right now in the present day his golf game is at a place that he has NEVER experienced. He is used to winning, and has been used to winning since he was a kid. Sometimes when you ALWAYS win you don't know how to deal with losing, and when you don't know how to lose then can hurt you.

As great as Jack Nicklaus was, he was an extremely gracious loser and was taught that skill by his father, which IMO helped him win 18 majors and finish 2nd 19 times. Tiger has been put on a pedestal since he was a young boy, now at 35 with no one around to help him he is "drifting".

I don't think anyone is doubting his abilities, and even work effort, but that doesn't mean that there are PGA golf teachers out there who would be willing to meet his demands right now, or even take on a career ending challenge like returning TIger to greatness.

IF the next teacher can't get him back on track it could essentially end his career as a pro golf teacher. These instructors are assessing TIgers game in the present, not the past. If he succeeds he will be the best teacher ever, but if Tiger continues to play poorly it could end their career. Most golf teachers don't want to put their eggs in one basket.

Look what going to Colorado did to Don Cherry's coaching career. GOing from a God in BOston to a bum, that is how fickle the world of professional sport coaching is......you're only as good as your last game.

Bentley01
May 16, 2010, 07:29 AM
No.....no blurred lines at least for me. From 1997 to 2008 he was arguably the best that ever played. Even before the scandal "weird" things were happening in Tigerland. He missed the cut at the British, he was "losing" it mentally during competition, he lost his first Sunday battle when a major title was on the line.

Regardless......right now in the present day his golf game is at a place that he has NEVER experienced. He is used to winning, and has been used to winning since he was a kid. Sometimes when you ALWAYS win you don't know how to deal with losing, and when you don't know how to lose then can hurt you.

As great as Jack Nicklaus was, he was an extremely gracious loser and was taught that skill by his father, which IMO helped him win 18 majors and finish 2nd 19 times. Tiger has been put on a pedestal since he was a young boy, now at 35 with no one around to help him he is "drifting".

I don't think anyone is doubting his abilities, and even work effort, but that doesn't mean that there are PGA golf teachers out there who would be willing to meet his demands right now, or even take on a career ending challenge like returning TIger to greatness.

IF the next teacher can't get him back on track it could essentially end his career as a pro golf teacher. These instructors are assessing TIgers game in the present, not the past. If he succeeds he will be the best teacher ever, but if Tiger continues to play poorly it could end their career. Most golf teachers don't want to put their eggs in one basket.

Look what going to Colorado did to Don Cherry's coaching career. GOing from a God in BOston to a bum, that is how fickle the world of professional sport coaching is......you're only as good as your last game.

Are you for real?:confused: You don't think you're blurring the line, here?

He loses a Sunday Battle and misses the cut at the British Open and all of a sudden there are problems in Tigerland? Didn't he finish on top of the Money List last year (and every other year he was healthy)?? Didn't he win in November, just before all hell broke loose?

You can bet that EVERY player on tour was a "winner" growing up. NO golfer wins every tournament. Not one. Your thoughts are nothing more than your wishful thinking - exacting just a little more revenge punishment for his obnoxious behaviour.

I wouldn't buy a book or DVD from any golf "coach" that turned down the challenge to get Tiger back to GOLF greatness. Now, if he turned it down for moral reasons, I could respect that... BUT only if he also turned down Michelson (huge womanizer) and an assortment of other professionals.

Bellyhungry
May 16, 2010, 07:31 AM
The ratio of coaches willing vs. unwilling to be his coach is probably in the neighborhood of 1,000,000 to 1.

hogannut
May 16, 2010, 07:35 AM
Are you for real?:confused: You don't think you're blurring the line, here?

He loses a Sunday Battle and misses the cut at the British Open and all of a sudden there are problems in Tigerland? Didn't he finish on top of the Money List last year (and every other year he was healthy)?? Didn't he win in November, just before all hell broke loose?

You can bet that EVERY player on tour was a "winner" growing up. NO golfer wins every tournament. Not one. Your thoughts are nothing more than your wishful thinking - exacting just a little more revenge punishment for his obnoxious behaviour.

I wouldn't buy a book or DVD from any golf "coach" that turned down the challenge to get Tiger back to GOLF greatness. Now, if he turned it down for moral reasons, I could respect that... BUT only if he also turned down Michelson (huge womanizer) and an assortment of other professionals.

Not going to get into a pi$$ing match over this. We will see how fast, who and what the terms are for Tiger getting a new coach.

My opinion is it will take him a long time to find someone who is competent enough to work with him (TIger is a great golfer).

I actually have no "wishful thinking" as it pertains to Tiger anymore. I have my opinion on his off course life, and think his golf game will continue to struggle in the near future.

Professional coaches are extremly aware of athletes mental mind sets and how that mind set could affect their ability to develop.

I will say that trying to imply with rumours that Phil is also a man slut is not fair, and Butch right now is probably almost as popular now with PHil as his student as he was when TIger was at his peak.

As I said......IMO......it will take a while for TIger to find a new coach.

Bentley01
May 16, 2010, 07:41 AM
The ratio of coaches willing vs. unwilling to be his coach is probably in the neighborhood of 1,000,000 to 1.

Actually, I think it is 1,000,000 to 2 (Haney and Harmon).:D

The Troll
May 16, 2010, 08:06 AM

Not sure I agree.

The next guy is in a fishbowl and will have to deal with Tiger's desire for privacy and an exclusive (or near exclusive) arrangement. At a minimum, Tiger will require a guarantee that he comes first ahead of any other clients.

Harmon was expected to not have a public persona while getting paid, from what I have read, very little. There seemed to be some resentment that Harmon was trying to capitalize financially from his higher profile yet Tiger was only paying Harmon about $130K at the end.

Three things would keep me away from taking that position....being in a fishbowl, knowing that I would get little credit when Tiger starts playing better and the way Haney was left under the bus by Tiger at the end.

Chambokl
May 16, 2010, 08:45 AM

Very, very bad example... Cherry was a bum before he went to Colorado... why do you think he had to go there... his reputation or lack of it was known around the NHL... He has won some individual trophies... but never a league championship... not because he didn't have the best team... talk to some of his players from the 70's, they will tell you some stories...

Look how successful he was in Mississauga... 17 wins in 4 years as GM and later coach... It is funny, you don't like Tiger for his lack of discipline but you seem to think Cherry was an awesome coach... same problems (lack of discipline and not much teaching)

Chambokl
May 16, 2010, 09:04 AM
Forgot to say... I wouldn't be surprise at all if Sean Foley (Burlington Glen Abbey) is the next coach of Tiger...

dekker
May 16, 2010, 09:24 AM
Foley is being touted as the front runner and I think he'd be foolish to take the bait. He's doing fine with his stable at the moment and only needs to keep working to build his increasing rep.
Harmon always had a D. Cherry sized ego that needed its own trailer to haul around. His offer to let Woods see their training vids, but without the sound, a la his god-given vocal instruction, just reeks of his ego as a coach.
Haney's was the total opposite. Haney was right in stepping off the boat because right now Woods head is not where it should be. You can't coach a mental case who is fighting his personal life and game.

Woods' world is that of a gilded cage, and is not a very attractive one in spite what we might think.

Bellyhungry
May 16, 2010, 06:00 PM
Actually, I think it is 1,000,000 to 2 (Haney and Harmon).:D

I am sure Harmon will take Tiger back if asked. :)

Bentley01
May 17, 2010, 07:13 AM

Okay, you're right.:)

gimme
May 17, 2010, 09:52 AM

If he asks politely with $250,000 along with it.

pillpickleson
May 17, 2010, 10:57 AM
If he asks politely with $250,000 along with it.

Don't worry guys he won't be hopefully gone too long, well once he solves the coaching/teaching aspect. Article for you to read:

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/shag-bag/woods-to-make-full-recovery-36734/

woody
May 17, 2010, 01:41 PM
More or less I agree with Hogannut. Tiger needs encouragement much more than a swing coach. And does Tiger really need a swing coach. Just play - and play some more after the neck heals. There is so much 'junk in the trunk' in Tiger's head I don't think anyone could hit the ball straight. The game is 90% mental right ? There's the answer.

hitblade007
May 17, 2010, 02:37 PM
More or less I agree with Hogannut. Tiger needs encouragement much more than a swing coach. And does Tiger really need a swing coach. Just play - and play some more after the neck heals. There is so much 'junk in the trunk' in Tiger's head I don't think anyone could hit the ball straight. The game is 90% mental right ? There's the answer.
IMO, Haney is a bit too sensitive about criticism and Tiger was not defending those. But record speaks itself.

I don't think Tiger needs a coach. He should play with free mind if he really wanted to own his own swing.

Bentley01
May 17, 2010, 04:15 PM
Nice mallets, Woody!