PDA

View Full Version : Canadian wins top US College golf award

unskinnybop99
May 25, 2010, 11:10 AM
A Canadian (Nick Taylor) has won the NCAA Ben Hogan golf award. This is equivalent to NCAA football's Heisman award. Impressive!

Lefty17
May 25, 2010, 02:13 PM
Congrats to Nick!!

Nice to see two rising Canadian's getting the job done!!!! Now lets hope Golf Canada doesn't ship them to the wolves like the others.

BowmanvilleJim
May 25, 2010, 02:20 PM
Congrats to Nick!!

Nice to see two rising Canadian's getting the job done!!!! Now lets hope Golf Canada doesn't ship them to the wolves like the others.

Once they turn pro they're on their own. Golf Canada is supposed to be an organization made of and for the amateur.

Sink or swim as a pro.

Lefty17
May 25, 2010, 02:22 PM
Once they turn pro they're on their own. Golf Canada is supposed to be an organization made of and for the amateur.

Sink or swim as a pro.

I've had this discussion here before. Some agree that helping them out for a few months after they turn pro wouldn't hurt and probably improve the program as well.

BowmanvilleJim
May 25, 2010, 02:32 PM
I see no need for them to spend time and financial resources helping them become successful professionally.

Lefty17
May 25, 2010, 02:46 PM
I see no need for them to spend time and financial resources helping them become successful professionally.

I see it as that guidance still being there. Of course they would have to do what most pro's do to find money but make sure everything is in order but instead of that gaint step the programs should stick around for a bit and make the giant step several baby steps. Who was the last Canadian to come out this program and succeed?? Most are struggling on mini tours and then there's Delaet.

mdtgolf
May 25, 2010, 08:26 PM
I don't think Golf Canada should do anything for them once they turn pro. These guys have been under Golf Canada's wing since they were juniors. Golf Canada pumps so much money into their amateur development, specifically on 20 or so players, male and female, which is something I think they do wrong.

crunch27
May 25, 2010, 09:40 PM
I don't think Golf Canada should do anything for them once they turn pro. These guys have been under Golf Canada's wing since they were juniors. Golf Canada pumps so much money into their amateur development, specifically on 20 or so players, male and female, which is something I think they do wrong.

I agree....once they turn pro, it's time for them to find their own sponsors. I don't think Nick Taylor or Matt Hill will have any problems finding sponsor money.

golferboy
May 26, 2010, 05:42 AM
They should try and pair them up with current canadian pros and have them mentor them for awhile.

pdl16
May 26, 2010, 06:56 PM
Even our current Canadian Pros don't receive the support they require. I ran into this guy working in a menonite furniture store over the weekend to help make ends meet...nuf said.

http://www.ingolfwetrust.com/golf-central/content/binary/MikeWeirBeardedGolfer.jpg

gbrgolf
May 26, 2010, 07:43 PM
Congrats to Nick!!

FYI, there is no national program in the US similar to Golf Canada, we look after our amateurs far better than in the US. last year the top 2 NCAA players were Canadian, pretty impressive!
Once they turn Pro, I don't see how our national organization can help out! I will say that Mike Weir takes every opportunity to play practice round with young Canadians that qualify for PGA tour events. He played 2 practice rounds with Andrew Parr at the US Open at Bethpage and a couple of practice rounds with Nick Taylor at Torrey Pines.
i don't beleive anyone is being thrown to any wolves, they are just, all of a sudden, a small fish in a big pond!!!
Just my thoughts,
g

Lefty17
May 27, 2010, 07:34 AM
FYI, there is no national program in the US similar to Golf Canada, we look after our amateurs far better than in the US. last year the top 2 NCAA players were Canadian, pretty impressive!
Once they turn Pro, I don't see how our national organization can help out! I will say that Mike Weir takes every opportunity to play practice round with young Canadians that qualify for PGA tour events. He played 2 practice rounds with Andrew Parr at the US Open at Bethpage and a couple of practice rounds with Nick Taylor at Torrey Pines.
i don't beleive anyone is being thrown to any wolves, they are just, all of a sudden, a small fish in a big pond!!!
Just my thoughts,
g

One thing that doesn't hamper US young pros....sponsorships. Something that hinders Canadians. Golf Canada can still help out..... it's almost like the first first day of school....you just don't drop your kid off and say see ya later....you make sure to stick around and make sure they're okay and settled in. Cutting ties as soon as they turn pro has lead to Graham Delaet being the most successful to come out of the program but that took time...where is Richard Scott, Mark Leon, Ryan Yip, Todd Halpen, Andrew Parr???? Struggling away on the Canadian Tour and other mini tours in the states. I'm saying stick and for a few months to make sure the player is comfortable in his surroundings. IMO I see nothing wrong with that. They are a small fish in a big pond but this is where we can also help out in getting these great young Canadian talents to the top.

Weir and Ames can only do so much. Playing practice rounds is good gets them comfortable but they're not doing it on a weekly baises.

LOFT
May 27, 2010, 01:48 PM
Good debate....civil, informed and even a touch of humour. I learned something new today.

trunckslammer1
May 27, 2010, 02:53 PM
One thing that doesn't hamper US young pros....sponsorships. Something that hinders Canadians. Golf Canada can still help out..... it's almost like the first first day of school....you just don't drop your kid off and say see ya later....you make sure to stick around and make sure they're okay and settled in. Cutting ties as soon as they turn pro has lead to Graham Delaet being the most successful to come out of the program but that took time...where is Richard Scott, Mark Leon, Ryan Yip, Todd Halpen, Andrew Parr???? Struggling away on the Canadian Tour and other mini tours in the states. I'm saying stick and for a few months to make sure the player is comfortable in his surroundings. IMO I see nothing wrong with that. They are a small fish in a big pond but this is where we can also help out in getting these great young Canadian talents to the top.

Weir and Ames can only do so much. Playing practice rounds is good gets them comfortable but they're not doing it on a weekly baises.

How do you propose they do that? Sponsorship is MONEY. As it is, some of us complain when Golf Canada charged us $35 to be part of their Public Player program. These players need at least $50,000 a year to play Full time on the Canadian Tour - money for basic needs, travel, accomadation etc.
I know one young pro who got his Canadian Tour card last fall. When he turned pro in 2008, his home club raised $40,000 for him. This year, he is looking for more money.

focal
May 27, 2010, 03:49 PM
how about GOLF Canada sell SHARES on the public market to raise funds.

instead of every player privately arranging financing or donations from their friends/family/home club, they can go to Golf Canada.

any player agreeing to financing/donations, will pay back into the fund a percentage of future earnings for LIFE....investors would have steady (hopefully) return on investment if a few players make it.

pdl16
May 27, 2010, 05:49 PM
The reason he is looking for more money this year is because he played on the Export Skins Tour when he should have been practicing..
http://www.beerrecord.com/guinness.jpg

Here's the club's return on their investment.

How do you propose they do that? Sponsorship is MONEY. As it is, some of us complain when Golf Canada charged us $35 to be part of their Public Player program. These players need at least $50,000 a year to play Full time on the Canadian Tour - money for basic needs, travel, accomadation etc.
I know one young pro who got his Canadian Tour card last full. When he turned pro in 2008, his home club raised $40,000 for him. This year, he is looking for more money.

gbrgolf
May 27, 2010, 06:18 PM

I must say the concept seems good, but I'm just not sure how this would work? So you have up to 10 Canadian College players turning Pro each year that have a track record that seems somewhat impressive and have been through the "the program" at some point. Most play Canadian Tour, gateway, Hooters or eTour for years before even getting a crack at the Nationwide Tour let alone the PGA. So my question is how long do you support them? Does Golf Canada "hold there hand" while they toil on the mini Tours honing there game? There are so few guys, that make the nationwide or PGA within 3 years of turning Pro.
regarding the investment idea, very cool, but in my years in the golf biz, I've seen dozens on consortiums put together to help out young hot shots, and to this day, I don't think anyone ever got paid back. The successful fund rasing programs are ones were people donate to help a young stud out and don't expect any return..... no pressure on the kid! last thing a young Golf Pro has time to do is report back to investors where he/she is spending money. I realize, to any business guy this seems like a simple thing to do, but few young Pro's want/need the pressure of reporting failures.
Making it on Tour is a marathon, a little hand holding for several months just isn't going to create stars..... they have to figure it out themselves and have the commitment!!
IMO
gbr