PDA

View Full Version : USGA Gives Vijay Singh Apecial Exemption

shankuverymuch
Jun 3, 2010, 09:05 AM
The USGA gave Vijay a special exemption to the 2010 US Open....

Tyger
Jun 3, 2010, 10:08 AM
If anyone deserves it, he does.

Greywolf
Jun 3, 2010, 10:11 AM
I am ok with it this time due to his injuries earlier this year. Hopefully he can play well.

FATZ
Jun 3, 2010, 10:11 AM
I agree, however, there are similar players who had to go and qualify for it so it doesn't seem fair to me.

Unless of course, the USGA feels he can put up some numbers and make a game of it. But still, I seem to recall hearing on the Golf Channel that there was some big names in golf who had to go and qualify this year, not sure who, but they should in fact keep it fair.

I thought Vijay was high enough in rankings to qualify. weird.

focal
Jun 3, 2010, 10:14 AM
he deserves it one time...

but USGA should give it to more top amateur players...maybe the top NCAA player? or the Hogan award winner? or the Nicholas award winner?

along with the existing various ways by winning the Pub Links, the Mid Amateur or US Amateur.

Lefty17
Jun 3, 2010, 10:54 AM
He's still playing at a high level but has teatered off...How does it look if he won this week???

Special Exemptions should go to the like of Tom Kite, Tom Watson, Hale Irwin guys like that. Vijay is still a good enough player to get through qualifying.

ZachOly
Jun 3, 2010, 11:08 AM
I like Vijay, but he shouldn't have gotten it IMO.

It would have been better to give it to a high ranking am

JR59
Jun 3, 2010, 11:08 AM
I'm not a huge fan of it.

I think that spot should be allocated to the sectional qualifying. Those guys are working their tail off to get in.

Andru
Jun 3, 2010, 11:18 AM
I think it's great.

1) Exemption for an Amateur? Why? There are two high ranking events dedicated to amateurs. The US Amateur and the Mid-Amateur. No need to turn the US Open into an Amateur event.

2) I'm not sure how many PGA tour players have 3 majors and 20 Plus wins on tour. There are also not many that support smaller events like THE CANADIAN OPEN! So from a personal standpoint it's a great move.

3) Tom Kite, Tom Watson? those guys have had their turn. They have an event as well called the Senior US Open.

I'm glad the USGA extended this olive branch to a solid player who had some bad luck with injuries.

Cheers

Bellyhungry
Jun 3, 2010, 11:38 AM
I think VJ is the highest currently ranked World Golf HOF member.

So on that ground, why not?

bobby Jones
Jun 3, 2010, 11:43 AM
I thought Watson was alredy given an exemption based on the Open last year-could be wrong....

JR59
Jun 3, 2010, 12:00 PM
After specifically looking up the entire list of exemptions I am forced to somewhat change my opinion as this is on the list of ways to be fully exempt:

Any player whom the USGA selects for an exemption on the basis of his playing record (must have filed an entry by April 28)

Since it is clearly listed and a filing must be made, it is at their discretion who gets an exemption under this method. They didn't make up a rule or go outside the barriers of their current system.

That being said, why not Vijay?

I think VJ is the highest currently ranked World Golf HOF member.

So on that ground, why not?

shankuverymuch
Jun 3, 2010, 06:01 PM
At the risk of REALLY stirring it up, Vijay once made a comment (that he was villified for) about a certain female golfer who took the place of a tour player who was trying to earn a living.

I have to say I was considered politically incorrect and agreed with him at the time.

I don't know whether Vijay's exemption will fill one of the 156 spots, or he will be an extra player over and above the usual 156.

If his exemption takes the place of a qualifier, I say Bad Vijay !

Shank

Big Shooter
Jun 3, 2010, 06:26 PM
I'm fine with it. :)

ace in the hazard
Jun 3, 2010, 06:31 PM
Haha, you beat me to it. I bet he catches some flack for it in the media.

Despite that I hope he plays well. I never really cheered for him when he was playing well but after I learned about his practice regimen and work ethic and it's hard not to admire the guy.

I got in a debate with a friend who said that his high ranking on the money list deserved an astrix cause of the number of events he played. My response was listen to any of the players out there about how draining it is to play week in and week out (note top players "saving up" for the majors). He deserves everthing he has.