PDA

View Full Version : Ty Tryon...at the 2010 U.S. Open...

Big Shooter
Jun 8, 2010, 12:02 AM
Back from the netherworld, he has qualified for his 1st Major.... :cool:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/Former-phenom-qualifies-for-U_S_-Open-95828849.html

Greywolf
Jun 8, 2010, 04:11 AM
Yeah, that guy has been invisible for many years.

3whack
Jun 8, 2010, 04:54 AM
I am sucker for stories of resilience and perseverance.

Good for him.

BowmanvilleJim
Jun 8, 2010, 07:36 AM
Without knowing the facts I would be pleased to hear that though his golfing career basically sucks he is doing well. I hope he took the big endorsement cheque when he turned pro at 16 and has some good solid investments. Everything else is now gravy.

Golden Bear
Jun 8, 2010, 09:15 AM
I bet all those people who doubted him are feeling silly now. Clearly, the Ty Tryon era of greatness is ready to roll.

Seriously, though, even though he flamed out ages ago, he's still young -- 26 years old. There's still a chance for him to emerge as a decent tour player.

gbrgolf
Jun 8, 2010, 10:42 AM
Hey, how many guys have a chance to play on the PGA Tour for a year??
The nickname he had on Tour the year he played after he missed a bunch of cuts was "Keep on"

As in "Keep on Tryon", well I thought it was funny!!

severance
Jun 8, 2010, 03:02 PM
64-74... yeah that's consistant.

cobbie_90
Jun 8, 2010, 04:57 PM

lol i was just thinking the same thing :rofl: but w.e he made it in

WILL
Jun 8, 2010, 05:25 PM
lol i was just thinking the same thing :rofl: but w.e he made it in

+1 Laugh all you want, you'll be watching it on TV.

Good for Ty. I doubt I would have done anything differnetly than he did. Why not give it a go when you qualify ... regardless of your age.

severance
Jun 8, 2010, 05:37 PM

Good for Ty. I doubt I would have done anything differnetly than he did. Why not give it a go when you qualify ... regardless of your age.

Hey I wasn't trying to take anything away from the guy, I'm just saying... anyone who's all ZOMG TY TRYON LOOK OUT HE'S BACK based on a 64-74 is seriously getting all excited over nothing. =P

Qualifying for the US Open is an awesome accomplishment, but it doesn't sound like he's quite ready to be posting 4 low scores in a row with the pressure on...

cobbie_90
Jun 8, 2010, 05:57 PM

hey im not rooting against him... im happy for him! and wish him the best i just thought his scores were funny...... all tho the 64 was a great score !!

WILL
Jun 8, 2010, 06:38 PM
hey im not rooting against him... im happy for him! and wish him the best i just thought his scores were funny...... all tho the 64 was a great score !!

No one follows up a super low round with another one. I would hate to post a number 10 shots worse but .... it happens, A LOT.

I don't see Tryon getting back to the PGA tour full schedule any time soon either. Slumps happen to most players and if it hasn't happened to you, you just haven't played well or long enough.

You guys aren't hackin on him but I can see how he could be an easy target for the vast majority of couch sports critics who have no appreciation for anyone outside of the top 10 in the world. Don't get me wrong, he was here and gone so quick I can't even remember what his swing looks like. :hush: But I'd trade jobs with him in a blink.

Bentley01
Jun 8, 2010, 07:40 PM
No one follows up a super low round with another one. I would hate to post a number 10 shots worse but .... it happens, A LOT.

I don't see Tryon getting back to the PGA tour full schedule any time soon either. Slumps happen to most players and if it hasn't happened to you, you just haven't played well or long enough.

You guys aren't hackin on him but I can see how he could be an easy target for the vast majority of couch sports critics who have no appreciation for anyone outside of the top 10 in the world. Don't get me wrong, he was here and gone so quick I can't even remember what his swing looks like. :hush: But I'd trade jobs with him in a blink.

Well said.

Samick
Jun 8, 2010, 07:49 PM

Booyaaa Brother! :D :rofl:

I mean....he seemed like a flash in the pan, however after hearing about alot of the injuries and medical trouble he has gone through in the past few years, I cant help but root for the guy. He is out there trying to live his dream. I just wish I had the guts and the talent to give it a go myself.

golf nut
Jun 8, 2010, 08:39 PM

What did you shoot?

Bellyhungry
Jun 8, 2010, 08:54 PM
I've got to give props to him for still trying to live the dream.

severance
Jun 8, 2010, 10:30 PM
What did you shoot?

LOL, typical uppity response

Since when did you have to be a professional athelete to talk about sports?

If someone commented that Chris Pronger had an off night the other night (showing inconsistant play, lol) nobody would scorn them for making the comment just because they aren't an NHL player themselves.

Get off your high horse, seriously.

TourIQ
Jun 8, 2010, 11:46 PM
Good for Ty. I remember talking to him for about 5 minutes at the Nationwide event in Cambridge, ON. I wonder if he got smart and dumped Leadbetter?

shankuverymuch
Oct 27, 2010, 06:11 PM
He played in a OGA Tour event at my club today.

He shot 74....ended up about middle of the pack.