PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton, "almost" official 2012 CDN Open site

focal
Jun 9, 2010, 11:50 AM
as posted in the Globe & Mail today....

the members at Hamilton will be voting in July before the next CDN Open at St. George's on a resolution to host the 2012 open. A simple majority is all that's needed to seal the deal.

this will be a great three year rotation when it becomes official (St. George's, Shaughnessy and Hamilton).

add in Royal Montreal (guess) in 2013 and the mandated 2014 Glen Abby, it is shaping up to be a good rotation for our national open

rgk5
Jun 9, 2010, 12:08 PM
It will be a very close vote and could go either way.

focal
Jun 9, 2010, 12:55 PM
It will be a very close vote and could go either way.

remind the members that your dues will go up if you don't get the revenue from the CDN Open.

rgk5
Jun 9, 2010, 01:24 PM
They will go up in any event from course damage and any further improvements needed for the Open.

focal
Jun 9, 2010, 01:26 PM
They will go up in any event from course damage and any further improvements needed for the Open.

guess St. George's will find out soon...

isn't Hamilton basically ready to host? your new clubhouse is done. Does the course still have major issues?

rgk5
Jun 9, 2010, 01:52 PM
They may install a new reservoir system.

sellis
Jun 9, 2010, 02:16 PM
They may install a new reservoir system.

There's no "may" regarding the reservoir. That work is well underway.

Bartender
Jun 9, 2010, 04:19 PM
There's no "may" regarding the reservoir. That work is well underway.

As is the short course. The course itself is in very good shape and could host at a moments notice, as it has before. It would be insanity to leave that type of money on the table and I dearly hope that the members majority vote is yes.

The Troll
Jun 9, 2010, 09:42 PM
isn't Hamilton basically ready to host? your new clubhouse is done. Does the course still have major issues?

The clubhouse is done, the range has been permanently relocated to the temporary Cdn Open range location and, except for growing in the rough, the course could be ready tomorrow. No question the Open brings in money and has helped raise the entrance fee considerably.

That said, it isn't as popular with the members as you might think. Right now, every member I know (around 20) would likely vote against it as they don't like giving up the course or playing in the rough. My bet is it passes....barely.

focal
Jun 10, 2010, 05:20 AM
The clubhouse is done, the range has been permanently relocated to the temporary Cdn Open range location and, except for growing in the rough, the course could be ready tomorrow. No question the Open brings in money and has helped raise the entrance fee considerably.

That said, it isn't as popular with the members as you might think. Right now, every member I know (around 20) would likely vote against it as they don't like giving up the course or playing in the rough. My bet is it passes....barely.

once every 5-6 years would be okay inconvenience for the revenue and prestige (marketting). Hamilton every three is too much for the reasons you noted to the people who play and pay on a daily basis.

In 2012 I would offer up a round at our course so you don't have to endure the rough or go in golf withdrawal for the two weeks.Although we are going to be out a week with the Ontario amateur that year.

Maxwell
Jun 10, 2010, 06:29 AM
I was a Mens Canadian Open volunteer a few years back when it was held at the Hamilton G & CC. I haven't played alot of golf in my life time nor travelled the world playing golf but I have played and volunteered at Glen Abbey and volunteered at Angus Glen. The Harry Colt (http://www.coltassociation.co.uk/courses.php#canada)design in my opinion is the best golf course design I have ever seen. The manner in which Mr. Colt designed the course hole layout into the escarpment, streams and forests is " appealing to the eyes". Great course selection for a mens or ladies Canadian championship.

sellis
Jun 10, 2010, 09:10 AM
I think most members thought that 2015 would be the next Canadian Open at HGCC since that would be the centennial year for the course location. Also the fact that the 2012 open runs in July as oppose to Sept doesn't help from a member perspective. Regardless I hope the vote passes!

Section ThirtyOne
Jun 10, 2010, 11:03 AM
In 2012 I would offer up a round at our course so you don't have to endure the rough or go in golf withdrawal for the two weeks.Although we are going to be out a week with the Ontario amateur that year.

I think that is the way it works anyway. I know at Whistle Bear last year, we hosted the Ontario Junior Championships. The course was closed for the week, but other clubs around the province donated tee times to accomodate our membership and give us someplace to play.

I played some fun courses, including Cutten Club, St. Thomas, Glencairn, and Board of Trade. We were to offer to pay the cart fee, but quite often it was refused by the hosting club. Nice to see that all the clubs stick together!

The Troll
Jun 10, 2010, 05:22 PM
Also the fact that the 2012 open runs in July as oppose to Sept doesn't help from a member perspective.

The contrary view to that is that many members would be at their cottages in July but back in September. More importantly, in July they would only have to deal with the rough for maybe 6 weeks versus 12-16 weeks of growth to September.

Regardless I hope the vote passes!

Me too 'cuz it is an easy walk for me. :D

grasbunkers
Jun 10, 2010, 05:41 PM
pretty sure once RBC becomes a major player on the pga tour the canadian open will have any week it wants

shankuverymuch
Jun 11, 2010, 06:37 PM
I've only played Hamilton a couple of times, but I LOVE the course.

I've only talked to a few members there, but the only opinion I've heard is "Never Again !!"

I've spoken to a lot of members, ( and been a member in that situation ), and I hear 2 sides to the story...

Side 1.

- Never Again
- Not worth it
- What a pain in the ***
- etc. etc.

Side 2.

- It's great marketing for the club.
- You can't buy publicity like that.
- We have to think about the future of the club.

The one thing I've never heard is "This year by hosting the (fill in the blank ) we had a net increased revenue to the club.

Having said that, please don't confuse holding an amateur event like a junior event, the Canadian Amateur, a local field day, with an event like The Canadian Open, The Du Maurier, The Presidents Cup, The US Open, The PGA, or The Open Championship, or any other professional event.

As part of being a member of a national or local golf organizarion, it is your duty and responsibility, to hold AMATEUR events of organizations that you belong to.

Most "Professional Events" put financial dictates on the club, that provide no actual financial benefit either short term or long term to the club that holds them.

...just my rant.

Shank