PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton G&C 2012 - Canadian Open

The Troll
Jul 20, 2010, 10:28 PM
From the local paper.

July 20, 2010
The Hamilton Spectator
The RBC Canadian Open Golf Championship is a huge step closer to returning to Hamilton.
The Spectator has learned the membership at the Hamilton Golf and Country Club voted yesterday in favour of accepting a request from Golf Canada to play the PGA Tour event there in 2012.
The positive vote by the membership now throws the ball into the City of Hamilton's court.
Golf Canada (formerly the Royal Canadian Golf Association) has sent a proposal to the city that is similar to what it requested in 2006, the last time the tournament was here.
That year, the RCGA requested the city donate approximately $300,000 worth of in-kind services to the tournament, such as policing, traffic control, road closures, organization of community meetings, parking, etc.
That request, which was on hold pending the outcome of the Hamilton G&CC vote, is expected to go to council around Aug. 10.
If the city gives the go-ahead, the world's third-oldest national championship will return to Lady Hamilton in 2012. The club has hosted the tournament four times, most recently in 2003 and 06.
On those occasions, the PGA Tour players raved about the course and Golf Canada is hoping to create a rotation that would see the event coming back to Hamilton on a somewhat regular basis.
The golf club will make at least a million dollars for hosting it and the event can earn as much as $500,000 for local charities.
This year's tournament is on this week at St. George's Golf and Country Club in Toronto. Next year, it will be played at Shaughnessy G&CC in Vancouver.
It also has to be played at Glen Abbey Golf Club in Oakville at least one more time before 2015.

Carlton
Jul 21, 2010, 08:24 AM
Fingers crossed for Hamilton GCC! :D

par72
Jul 21, 2010, 08:55 AM
That'd be great news. Great access to the course and a true Gem!

The Troll
Jul 21, 2010, 09:24 AM
That'd be great news. Great access to the course and a true Gem!

And a five minute walk from my house. :D

sLuGo
Jul 21, 2010, 09:39 AM
Loved the last open i attended in hamilton! Lets hope...

par72
Jul 21, 2010, 09:47 AM
Thats what I found so great about it. SO many people have friends in Ancaster with big driveways!

golfingoalie
Jul 21, 2010, 09:51 AM

Well the bid has to have at least one negative :hush: :rofl:

The Troll
Jul 21, 2010, 09:53 AM

Nice.... :mad:

jerms
Jul 21, 2010, 10:03 AM
I love the fact they are playing the classic courses. There was no negative feedback from any of the pros the last time they played Hamilton. These guys play too many stadium courses in the States. If we want to attract stellar fields we have to use stellar courses.

sellis
Jul 21, 2010, 01:32 PM
I wish there was some way to work in 8 East (as a par-4) as part of the Canadian Open. That hole is my personal nemesis and it'd be fun to see how to pros play it.

WILL
Jul 21, 2010, 03:25 PM

That just freed up one more parking spot so this fat bass turd can slide in there as a late entry. :p

Looking forward to going to Hamilton GC

setter02
Jul 21, 2010, 03:30 PM
I only got to walk half the course when it was there last time, hopefully I get a chance to play it (come on PAT's) before then :fingersx:

Bartender
Jul 21, 2010, 04:25 PM
I wish there was some way to work in 8 East (as a par-4) as part of the Canadian Open. That hole is my personal nemesis and it'd be fun to see how to pros play it.

Probably, IMO, the worst hole on the East 9. 9 East on the other hand, with the slope on that green and the church pew bunkers would be a brutal hole to include amongst the finishing stretch. They would have to put the tees back 20-25 yds though so it's not going to be a driver>SW in for the bigger hitters...which is what I hit in to it on Monday evening. I'm off 4 and lipped out for bird from a wicked downhill, right to left breaking 4 footer.

Even if they don't lengthen it, it would still be a great 15th or 16th hole. You could then still have the traditional finish with the South 9's 7, 8 and 9...actually I would probably take out the par 3 South 7th and finish with the East 9 and then the South 8th and 9th.

focal
Jul 21, 2010, 05:02 PM
this is a great three course rotation 2010-2012

rounding out the 5 courses...it looks like Glen Abby and a course in Montreal.

although if they find an alternative to GA, that would be even better

crunch27
Jul 21, 2010, 05:29 PM

Now why would you say that, Gerry.

The Troll has offered to set up a beer tent in his backyard. :hyper:

At least that was the rumour on the streets. :D

The Troll
Jul 21, 2010, 08:59 PM

Funny how that happens. I find 8 East to be one of my easiest holes but just can't play 9 East since it strikes me as a dumb hole.

The Troll has offered to set up a beer tent in his backyard. :hyper:

And an open Snickers bar. More Snickers bars for me since Gerry isn't coming. :p

Bellyhungry
Jul 21, 2010, 10:43 PM

Can I park at your driveway?

sellis
Jul 22, 2010, 01:22 AM
Funny how that happens. I find 8 East to be one of my easiest holes but just can't play 9 East since it strikes me as a dumb hole.

It's possible you are smarter than me and don't try to hit the green in 2 every time. I think making it a par-4 as oppose to a par 5 would be the key. It's a tough green to hit in two with the huge tree and water in play. But its also a tough up-and-down hole as the green is pretty tricky.

I wouldn't go so far as to call 9E a "dumb hole" but its certainly not something I would want to see in the Canadian Open. The green is too goofy and the players would probably all be going for the green off the tee anyways.

rgk5
Jul 22, 2010, 06:05 AM

The East nine does not blend well with the character of the South or West nines nor does it support crowd movement very well.

Having played the course for the 52nd time this past Sunday, I am fairly convinced about all of this.

Bellyhungry
Jul 22, 2010, 06:56 AM
From RT's post, looks like the club needs the money.

I recall reading somewhere that it was expected to be close, but the vote ended at 70%.

I suppose the members realized that money have to come from either them or elsewhere.

The Troll
Jul 22, 2010, 08:24 AM
It's possible you are smarter than me and don't try to hit the green in 2 every time. I think making it a par-4 as oppose to a par 5 would be the key.

It would be a tough par 4. Unless I have the right angle I have tended to play it as a 3 shot hole.

I wouldn't go so far as to call 9E a "dumb hole" but its certainly not something I would want to see in the Canadian Open. The green is too goofy and the players would probably all be going for the green off the tee anyways.

I'm going to stick with dumb in my eyes. 26 holes beautiful holes shaped by the landscape and trees and the 9th so clearly shaped by the roads. All they have to do is throw a few trees in to shape the right side better. Then there is the green....

The Troll
Jul 22, 2010, 08:26 AM
Can I park at your driveway?

You think you will still have a license in two years? :p

sellis
Jul 22, 2010, 10:38 AM
The East nine does not blend well with the character of the South or West nines nor does it support crowd movement very well.

Having played the course for the 52nd time this past Sunday, I am fairly convinced about all of this.

No argument from me. No doubt that's why they do things the way they do it.

rgk5
Jul 22, 2010, 10:59 AM
From RT's post, looks like the club needs the money.

I recall reading somewhere that it was expected to be close, but the vote ended at 70%.

I suppose the members realized that money have to come from either them or elsewhere.

After my round on Sunday there was a lot of pro lobbying going on in the Solarium which no doubt helped the approval rate.

Chambokl
Jul 22, 2010, 11:19 AM
The Troll has offered to set up a beer tent in his backyard. :hyper::D

I would love to be in... and if I have time I might even go watch some golf...:)