PDA

View Full Version : Why no Tiger in the Canadian Open ?

Pages : [1] 2

woody
Jul 21, 2010, 01:41 PM
this is not a Tiger hating thread - but why doesn't this guy play in our National Championship. I have never figured this out. The guy can't come into Canada and play for four days and make a few Canadian friends, and maybe even win the tournament as a bonus. I get angry when some of these guys just figure - well it's Canada - could be cold - not enough cash ... ya da, ya da. I thought this guy was going to change the way he did things - change the way he played - change the tournaments he was going to play in.

I think I wrote exactly the same question last year.

Why can't he play ?

par72
Jul 21, 2010, 01:46 PM
Tiger has played in the Canadian Open numerous times. Up until this year Tiger's schedule was always Majors, WGC's, Any sponsor events(Buick, Disney, etc..) and any major events(Memorial, Players, etc..) For about 20 tourneys a year. Most tournaments have NEVER seen Tiger and if they did it was in 1997. He can play, he doesn't want to. Alot of these tournaments have never seen most of the top 10 guys. No one at the BC open complains that Mike Weir never comes because nobody cares. Last I checked he's been here alot more than Mickelson or some of the other top players in the world. Keep ripping Tiger though...it's easy....

hitblade007
Jul 21, 2010, 01:59 PM
I missed that 6 iron from the bunker over the water 200+ yard shot at the last hole of 2000 Bell Canadian Open!

Samick
Jul 21, 2010, 02:02 PM
Its not a matter of 'can't', its won't. He is all about the records and trophies. Once he won the triple crown (US, Cdn, British Open), you could guarantee he wouldnt be back for the Canadian Open. Its a shame, but the schedule clashes with the British Open as well.

northernpro
Jul 21, 2010, 02:02 PM
Tiger has played in the Canadian Open numerous times. Up until this year Tiger's schedule was always Majors, WGC's, Any sponsor events(Buick, Disney, etc..) and any major events(Memorial, Players, etc..) For about 20 tourneys a year. Most tournaments have NEVER seen Tiger and if they did it was in 1997. He can play, he doesn't want to. Alot of these tournaments have never seen most of the top 10 guys. No one at the BC open complains that Mike Weir never comes because nobody cares. Last I checked he's been here alot more than Mickelson or some of the other top players in the world. Keep ripping Tiger though...it's easy....Tiger fans are very touchy...:rofl:

golfingoalie
Jul 21, 2010, 02:04 PM
Tiger fans are very touchy...:rofl:

Pimpin ain't easy ;)

par72
Jul 21, 2010, 02:07 PM
No....I'm a human being fan. This is starting to get ridiculous. He was a God a year ago and now we find out he likes to bone waitresses and it's just lets find a new thing to rip him on. No pro plays every event and the people who whine about him not playing Canada are only doing it because they are huge fans and want to see him...but seriously, when was the last time Mickelson was here and how many times ahs here been here in the past 15 years, no one gives him crap!

hitblade007
Jul 21, 2010, 02:12 PM
Its not a matter of 'can't', its won't. He is all about the records and trophies. Once he won the triple crown (US, Cdn, British Open), you could guarantee he wouldnt be back for the Canadian Open. Its a shame, but the schedule clashes with the British Open as well.

the only hope if RBC sponsors him like what they did with AK.

woody
Jul 21, 2010, 02:13 PM
No....I'm a human being fan. This is starting to get ridiculous. He was a God a year ago and now we find out he likes to bone waitresses and it's just lets find a new thing to rip him on. No pro plays every event and the people who whine about him not playing Canada are only doing it because they are huge fans and want to see him...but seriously, when was the last time Mickelson was here and how many times ahs here been here in the past 15 years, no one gives him crap!

I'm not ripping Tiger. I just want to know why he doesn't play in the National Championship. For that matter why doesn't Michelson. at the beginning of the thread I said that was not a ripping Tiger thread. For the record I can change the question and ask why don't the top 6 in the World play in Canada. It just kind of hits a nerve because we have a great tournament.

Speirsy11
Jul 21, 2010, 02:15 PM
Any event scheduled the week after a major is going to struggle to draw top players, being scheduled right after the British Open is even tougher. It's impressive that they have as many guys playing as they do given their placement on the schedule.

hitblade007
Jul 21, 2010, 02:16 PM

Mickelson is not in the same class. PGA Tour events have been always "events with Tiger" and the rest.

par72
Jul 21, 2010, 02:17 PM
I apologize then. You did say that and you said you asked the same question last year. I just get sick of people taking shots at Tiger for sdoing things they'd kill to have the opportunity to do. Unfortunately, the Canadian Open doesn't mean nearly as much as it used to as a National Open. The PGA tour royally bending it over the table in terms of schedule and the revovling courses have made tour players less likely to come and less likely to establish a relationship with the tournament. Not to mention clearing customs, I know all this may not seem like much to us...But for the guys that have tons of money and status it's really north worth it for them IMO

hitblade007
Jul 21, 2010, 02:20 PM
Any event scheduled the week after a major is going to struggle to draw top players, being scheduled right after the British Open is even tougher. It's impressive that they have as many guys playing as they do given their placement on the schedule.
that's tells you how PGA Tour treats us:mad:

golfnguru
Jul 21, 2010, 02:53 PM
I I just get sick of people taking shots at Tiger for sdoing things they'd kill to have the opportunity to do.

I don't take shots at Tiger, but are you saying that people would kill for the opportunity to screw around on their wife?

par72
Jul 21, 2010, 03:03 PM
People would kill to have the opportunity to do many of the things he does, like skipping the Canadian open and yes, being able to have just about every woman they want.

edit: for clarity, I'd kill to skip the canadian open because that would mean that i was invited and so important and busy that i couldn't make it ;)

Speirsy11
Jul 21, 2010, 03:09 PM
that's tells you how PGA Tour treats us:mad:

No doubt about that. Really a disgrace that they treat what used to be a top tier event the way they treat the Cdn Open......

RiskyBusiness
Jul 21, 2010, 07:02 PM
I missed that 6 iron from the bunker over the water 200+ yard shot at the last hole of 2000 Bell Canadian Open!
We were there...and it's on The Golf Channel right now.

Unreal.

- MD.

Albert Hacker
Jul 21, 2010, 10:40 PM
He won it once, has no need to come back...

Bellyhungry
Jul 21, 2010, 10:42 PM
Golf Canada should work out a deal with WGC to make the CDN Open a WGC event.

sennawcf1
Jul 21, 2010, 11:57 PM

This is a great idea !!!

Lefty17
Jul 22, 2010, 06:39 AM
I think if the tourney gets a new date and continues on the trend of Hamilton, St George and other old school venues you'll Tiger return. Word gets out on tour about these course but right now Tiger I don't think has ever played 4 weeks in a row. Cdn Open gives him a break before the Bridgestone and PGA.

Bartender
Jul 22, 2010, 08:36 AM
I think, as Mike Weir said last night from St. Georges, if it's scheduled earlier in the season you will see alot more high profile names at The Canadian Open in future.

Golden Bear
Jul 22, 2010, 08:56 AM

I actually agree with you re: the singling out of Tiger ... but your complaints ring hollow considering your weird vendetta against Mike Weir.

Dano Twoface
Jul 22, 2010, 08:58 AM
we should get alot more TOP TIER pros
our CDN OPEN is the 3rd oldest tourney in golf
behind the US and BRITISH
it should be a major!!!!!

golfnguru
Jul 22, 2010, 09:08 AM

It is not the 3rd oldest tourney in golf and it isn't /should not be a major.

golfnguru
Jul 22, 2010, 09:09 AM

It had an elevated status at one point, but so did the Western Open. Times have changed.

par72
Jul 22, 2010, 09:22 AM
I believe it is the third Oldest consecutive National Open (the aussie open being played earlier but not every year)

Suggesting it should be a major is a little far fetched...maybe a better spot on the schedule would be nice. The Women's open on the other hand SHOULD still be an LPGA major!

It had an elevated status at one point, but so did the Western Open. Times have changed.

hitblade007
Jul 22, 2010, 09:22 AM
excellent idea! I think you should be the tournament director and promote the idea!

if HSBC can do it, why not RBC?

Dano Twoface
Jul 22, 2010, 09:47 AM

3rd oldest national championship
which means it will always be happening and can safely say that it will always gather a sponsor to run it!!

times change yes but OUR OPEN doesnt (other then the venue)

Weirfan
Jul 22, 2010, 09:53 AM

Not true so I heard yesterday on the Fan

Apparently this tournament has the best field of the year of any tournament ( based on world rankings) outside of the majors, PGA and WGC.

par72
Jul 22, 2010, 10:02 AM
That cannot be true....Period!

It just doesn't make any sense and the numbers don't add up...:confused:

Not true so I heard yesterday on the Fan

Apparently this tournament has the best field of the year of any tournament ( based on world rankings) outside of the majors, PGA and WGC.

Bentley01
Jul 22, 2010, 10:14 AM
Seems hard to believe. Did they forget about Arnie's tour stop (Bay Hill)?:confused: The Memorial?:confused: Harbour Town?:confused: Pebble Beach?:confused: Doral?:confused:

P25
Jul 22, 2010, 10:38 AM
Seems hard to believe. Did they forget about Arnie's tour stop (Bay Hill)?:confused: The Memorial?:confused: Harbour Town?:confused: Pebble Beach?:confused: Doral?:confused:

Players Championship????? (unless that's what he meant by "PGA"? The PGA is a major...)

par72
Jul 22, 2010, 10:42 AM
Even if thats what he meant, the statement is miles from true. I mean there's 10 euro tour events who would have migh higher avergae world rankings and way more top 30 and top 10 players!

I highly, highly, doubt he heard that on the fan yesterday unless one of the changes the fan made was ignoring facts!

golfingoalie
Jul 22, 2010, 11:02 AM
I highly, highly, doubt he heard that on the fan yesterday unless one of the changes the fan made was ignoring facts!

Facts have no place in this thread :rofl:

par72
Jul 22, 2010, 11:03 AM
LOL....so I can tell people Ian Leggat is a PGA Tour winner? Naaaah...no one would ever believe it anyways.....

Weirfan
Jul 22, 2010, 01:50 PM
That cannot be true....Period!

It just doesn't make any sense and the numbers don't add up...:confused:

well, that is exactly what they said...the best field on tour based on world ranking outside what I mentioned...

they were interviewing a pga writer who took the shuttle over with all the players from St Andrews..etc...

par72
Jul 22, 2010, 02:00 PM
They may have said it I guess...but its wrong!

I dont have enough time to go through every field of the year...but it is factually incorrect! Please, Please prove me wrong and I will eat crow....but there are too many other tourneys that everyone who can play does!

Conjecture aside, the mathematics of your statement make it impossible. A dozen of these guys are canadian ams who are either ranked super low or not at all. If you count them and give them a 0 world ranking maybe thats where you average gets pulled down lol

ZachOly
Jul 22, 2010, 02:01 PM
The answer should be pretty clear to anyone:

It's the week after The Open

Ignatius Reilly
Jul 22, 2010, 04:14 PM
They may have said it I guess...but its wrong!

I dont have enough time to go through every field of the year...but it is factually incorrect! Please, Please prove me wrong and I will eat crow....but there are too many other tourneys that everyone who can play does!

Conjecture aside, the mathematics of your statement make it impossible. A dozen of these guys are canadian ams who are either ranked super low or not at all. If you count them and give them a 0 world ranking maybe thats where you average gets pulled down lol

I too am too lazy to check the facts. But I wouldn't make the allegation that this is factually incorrect without having the facts to prove otherwise.

It does seem surprising that the Cdn Open would have such a strong field, but it also seems silly to dispute it without any proof to the contrary. My gut feel is that the 84 Lumber must have a better field. I mean, who doesn't like Lumber? Or what does my gut know?

What I do know is that this year's field is better than many other years'. This may be because of the allure of a good course instead of the pedestrian Abbey or the truly awful Angus Glen.

I don't know what exactly was stated on the Fan - does this have the highest percentage of the top 100 or top 30? There are many ways one could measure "the best field" - that could ignore or include the participation of amateurs. Would you give Tiger a '0' when he played in the Masters or the Open as an amateur? If not, how would you rank him?

par72
Jul 22, 2010, 04:56 PM
Just saying that would be one way to skew the ranking if you were trying to favorably alter the stats.

The field is much better this year, and it is as good as many on tour, which is why we don't need to try to justify it with sillyness. It is a great tournament with the best field in Ages.

But with only 2 top 10 in the world and 5 top 20, the average could not possiby be as low as a tournament with even 10 of the worlds top 20. Many of thew other tournaments mentioned have at least 5 of the top 10 in the world play and more of the time then not...closer to 18 out of the top 20. I guess I cannot say it is IMPOSSIBLE without doing the calc's BUT I feel very very confident in my assertion.

prohacker
Jul 24, 2010, 08:53 AM
No one here will have an affair with him :)

RobertThompson
Jul 24, 2010, 11:00 AM
The 84 Lumber Classic, which disappeared a few years ago, doesn't have any of the top players in the world now, largely because it isn't played. So your gut is indeed wrong.

And RBC does track the quality of the field versus other years. I believe this is the strongest since 2004 when the Ryder Cup was up the street.

I too am too lazy to check the facts. But I wouldn't make the allegation that this is factually incorrect without having the facts to prove otherwise.

It does seem surprising that the Cdn Open would have such a strong field, but it also seems silly to dispute it without any proof to the contrary. My gut feel is that the 84 Lumber must have a better field. I mean, who doesn't like Lumber? Or what does my gut know?

What I do know is that this year's field is better than many other years'. This may be because of the allure of a good course instead of the pedestrian Abbey or the truly awful Angus Glen.

I don't know what exactly was stated on the Fan - does this have the highest percentage of the top 100 or top 30? There are many ways one could measure "the best field" - that could ignore or include the participation of amateurs. Would you give Tiger a '0' when he played in the Masters or the Open as an amateur? If not, how would you rank him?

mstram
Jul 24, 2010, 11:11 AM
Its not a matter of 'can't', its won't. He is all about the MONEY.

fyp

Get Buick / Nike, etc to sponsor the Canadian Open, and Tiger will be there :cool:

mstram
Jul 24, 2010, 11:14 AM
Most tournaments have NEVER seen Tiger and if they did it was in 1997.

Ya, funny how humble he was about getting into any tournament when he was trying to get his card.

He has a funny way of showing his gratitude for those exemptions :cool:

Bentley01
Jul 24, 2010, 11:34 AM
fyp

Get Buick / Nike, etc to sponsor the Canadian Open, and Tiger will be there :cool:

Don't think Buick will work any more. No longer a sponsor. Nike maybe, but they're probably hurting a bit right now.

Ya, funny how humble he was about getting into any tournament when he was trying to get his card.

He has a funny way of showing his gratitude for those exemptions :cool:

Very, very true. We gave him a chance when he needed it most. Not that he needs to repay that debt every year, but at least once in a while would be appropriate.

Besides we have prettier girls in Canada (than he's used to).:D

RiskyBusiness
Jul 24, 2010, 04:21 PM
Apparently he is coming...

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/tix/1848180255.html

- RB.
________
Hawaii marijuana dispensary (http://hawaii.dispensaries.org/)

NickStarchuk
Jul 24, 2010, 05:12 PM
this is not a Tiger hating thread - but why doesn't this guy play in our National Championship. I have never figured this out. The guy can't come into Canada and play for four days and make a few Canadian friends, and maybe even win the tournament as a bonus. I get angry when some of these guys just figure - well it's Canada - could be cold - not enough cash ... ya da, ya da. I thought this guy was going to change the way he did things - change the way he played - change the tournaments he was going to play in.

I think I wrote exactly the same question last year.

Why can't he play ?

The Canadian Open falls the week after a major and I don't think he ever plays the week after a major. He did miss his first cut as a pro in Montreal, but I'm sure Tiger isn't a guy who would say "i'm never coming back" in a moment of anger, but you never know. Since none of his sponsors are part of the event, it's easy to leave it on his schedule.

In the event he wins the US Open and the Open Championship we MAY see Tiger come back to be the only multiple winner of the Triple Crown.

WGC? great idea.

tarheel23
Jul 24, 2010, 06:07 PM
The biggest reason most of the top players skip it was mentioned earlier, it is the week after a Major. But bigger than that it is the week after the British Open. Players do not want to play in Scotland & then jet overnight to play here.

Every year at least a few players pull out of the Open citing exhaustion. The time change coming over is a killer. Even if it was a week later it would likely not matter anyways. With the WGC & then the PGA it is unlikely that a lot of them would play anyways. With the US Open, British Open, WGC & PGA so close together over the summer it will always be difficult to get guys like Tiger & Phil to come here to play.

Just wait until next year when it is in Vancouver!

hogannut
Jul 24, 2010, 08:45 PM

I agree with not being a major, but can you tell me another tournament older than 1904?

The Canadian Open was once held in high regard. Snead won it 3 times, Palmer's first professional win, Trevino won it 3 times too. The event got butchered by being held at Glen Abbey for years, and now the RCGA......ooop's I mean "GOLF CANADA" is trying to reserect it on one of the worst weeks of the year in terms of schedules.

However I do agree that some big names should make an effort from time to time. It is their "responsibility" as a top ranking pro to play international events.

I don't think Tiger would have faired very well here this year with the small greens and narrow landing areas at St Georges with how incosistent he is hitting the ball right now.