PDA

View Full Version : Excuses, Mike Weir? Never!

par72
Jul 21, 2010, 04:53 PM
http://tsn.ca/golf/story/?id=328082

I guess setting the table is a good idea. Wouldn't it be great if Matt Hill or Graham DeLaet could compete? Too bad thats about as likely as Louis Oosthuizen winning the Briti.......:hush: Nevermind!

grayrhino
Jul 21, 2010, 05:39 PM
yep, another year another issue. I think he has gotten so distracted with all his other endeavors he lacks the focus needed to win. Perhaps he should drink some of his own vino before he tee's off to numb the pain...

par72
Jul 21, 2010, 05:41 PM
Or read another Lorne Rubenstein article telling him how great he is...."I feel like I'm close..." HA

hunterpaul
Jul 21, 2010, 07:27 PM
I was going to post about this as well..............Feels like he is giving himself an excuse already for not playing well in the Open.

He hasn't played well for a long time..............I always liked Mike Weir and thought he was a classy guy but I am more and more getting annoyed with him saying his game is getting close and that he is working on things.

I guess for a pro no one wants to admit they don't have it anymore but it would be refreshing for him to come out and say he hasn't played well in a long time.

Now with the excuses doesn't sit with me very well.

Really like this Graham DeLeat.............thinks he has major potential.

froghammer
Jul 21, 2010, 07:34 PM
Oh man. Just slap a hologram or Q-Ray bracelet on that wrist and get on with it! Maybe throw on a couple of those fancy rubber necklaces that pitchers wear for good measure. :D

golferboy
Jul 21, 2010, 07:38 PM
Mike is done. He will never get to the level he was once at.. :$

racmbs
Jul 21, 2010, 07:41 PM
He'll win the Canadian Open this week. ;)

woody
Jul 21, 2010, 07:48 PM
maybe his chances are as good as me finding a 33 inch 2 or 2.5 mid slant Scotty Cameron.:)

Fantasy09
Jul 21, 2010, 08:53 PM
How could he, Vijay tried to hand the title to him few years ago at Glen Abbey during the playoff and...:(

mygolfgarage
Jul 21, 2010, 08:58 PM
At least he admits to not having a very good year thus far but he's hopeful of turning things around.

par72
Jul 21, 2010, 09:26 PM
Nice to see someone other than Rubinstein still drinking weirsy's cool-aid:p

Dont get me wrong, I'd love for Mikey to be great again, but even in his prime when he was as good an iron striker as anyone, he was a headcase and couldn't win from the lead. By not working on his mental game, when his physical game started to slip, I think he never had a chance to get back there...due to his mental makeup.

Maybe after this injury he'll go back to Plumber and Bennet :rofl:

At least he admits to not having a very good year thus far but he's hopeful of turning things around.

Section ThirtyOne
Jul 21, 2010, 09:39 PM
Gosh, you guys are a bunch of savages. I was in the group right behind Weir (the Ames group) and he was clearly in discomfort and was wearing a brace on the troublesome arm.

Cut the guy some slack, he is the best golfer this country has ever produced. Not everyone plays up to their potential 100% of the time.

crazyballa9999
Jul 21, 2010, 09:45 PM
Grahams great but seriously hes had a few big rounds after some super low ones bring him into contention...I feel likes hes already close as long as he doesnt get mike weir syndrom... two good rounds one horrible one medium to finish 25...lol

par72
Jul 21, 2010, 09:52 PM
I think people's frustration is that he and the media have essentially been treating us like children for 7 years.

How many times do we have to listen to him say "im really close" or "im striking the ball as well as ever" or hear about an injury 6 months after the fact, When it is clear to anyone he is just playing poorly?

I heard someone somewhere make a comment that it was time for mike to swtich caddies and maybe get a new voice in his ear. Brendan is his best friend whos been on the bag for 20 years...Alot of guys on tour have very business-like relationships with their caddies...Tiger and Stevie aren't "friends". Maybe that is a good idea for Mike...

Gosh, you guys are a bunch of savages. I was in the group right behind Weir (the Ames group) and he was clearly in discomfort and was wearing a brace on the troublesome arm.

Cut the guy some slack, he is the best golfer this country has ever produced. Not everyone plays up to their potential 100% of the time.

ninja
Jul 21, 2010, 09:56 PM
he was clearly in discomfort and was wearing a brace on the troublesome arm

Saw him grimacing and icing his arm after every other shot this morning...he definitely needs some time off.

Albert Hacker
Jul 21, 2010, 10:40 PM
Clue me in, what's the issue with Weir's arm? Which arm btw? :confused:

RobertThompson
Jul 22, 2010, 06:38 AM
He has tendinitis in his right elbow.

The guys who think this is some sort of excuse are morons. He's hurt and he's had a bad year. That's it.

racmbs
Jul 22, 2010, 07:24 AM
Saw him grimacing and icing his arm after every other shot this morning...he definitely needs some time off.

I suffered with this for a good chunk of my season last year, and it hurts like an SOB. Brace or no brace, you feel it one way or another....

RobertThompson
Jul 22, 2010, 07:27 AM
You mean the win, the Presidents Cup teams, beating Tiger Woods, those years? Probably made about $12M as well. I'd trade mine for those average years, as would most people.

Is he the player he was in 2003. No. But those years are rare and if you do it over and over you're Tiger Woods.

I'm sure he is hurt, what about 04-09?

par72
Jul 22, 2010, 07:41 AM
To be fair Robert, He had one win 6 years, in October against a second tier field. The President's Cup team was more about interest than anything...he was 17th in points for that team, nowhere close to qualifying on merit. Tiger didn't exactly play his hardest round ever that Sunday, I was there....and would NEVER have hit that tee ball in the water on 18 if the cup was on the line.

I don't think winning a few tournaments over the years qualifies you as Tiger. Also if he had come out just once and said exactly what you said about his game not being the same as in '03 then maybe people would lay off.

It does seem like hes hurting, but like the boy who cried wolf we've all heard this story alot.

You mean the win, the Presidents Cup teams, beating Tiger Woods, those years? Probably made about $12M as well. I'd trade mine for those average years, as would most people.

Is he the player he was in 2003. No. But those years are rare and if you do it over and over you're Tiger Woods.

racmbs
Jul 22, 2010, 07:54 AM
To be fair Robert, He had one win 6 years, in October against a second tier field. The President's Cup team was more about interest than anything...he was 17th in points for that team, nowhere close to qualifying on merit. Tiger didn't exactly play his hardest round ever that Sunday, I was there....and would NEVER have hit that tee ball in the water on 18 if the cup was on the line.

I don't think winning a few tournaments over the years qualifies you as Tiger. Also if he had come out just once and said exactly what you said about his game not being the same as in '03 then maybe people would lay off.

It does seem like hes hurting, but like the boy who cried wolf we've all heard this story alot.

So are you measuring Mike Weir's career based on # of wins, as opposed to what he's done since joining the PGA Tour? I mean come on, if we are all going to beat up on the guy, might as well go right for the jugular and start picking apart the reasons why his golf game might be suffering. Quite possibly it's due to:

Mike Weir Foundation
Miracle Network
Children's Hospital
Shriners
Weir Estates

I'm sure there's a few more I am missing, so instead of blaming the guy's lack of production in the win department on a nagging injury, take a good look at the bigger picture of what this guy does outside of his everyday life on the course. The problem with people on this forum is they are too quick to judge a players decline in the rankings or poor performance without ever knowing the facts, and talking like they know the person like a next door neighbor or good drinking buddy.

As for beating Tiger, I've been following Tiger since his NCAA days and I can assure you, he has no "mercy rule" in his golf game and he was beaten by Weir. It's not in Tiger's blood....

Hats off to the hundreds of playing professionals on various tours who have to put up with this constant nonsense and badgering, and thanks for everything else you do outside of that to make others lives who are less fortunate than yours, better.

Lefty17
Jul 22, 2010, 07:56 AM
Beware of the injured golfer....:hush:

froghammer
Jul 22, 2010, 08:15 AM
Beware of the injured golfer....:hush:

True. Sometimes it makes you focus like crazy. You never know.

Abstract
Jul 22, 2010, 09:19 AM
OK Scott.....I love Weirsy too, but a box a Penta's he doesn't win?

par72
Jul 22, 2010, 09:27 AM
I'd bet you a Dozen Penta's to your two sleeves Scott...and I'll call it a draw if he finishes top 3!:p

racmbs
Jul 22, 2010, 09:42 AM
OK Scott.....I love Weirsy too, but a box a Penta's he doesn't win?

I may have been born at night, but not last night Ray. :rofl:

Nice try.

racmbs
Jul 22, 2010, 09:45 AM
I'd bet you a Dozen Penta's to your two sleeves Scott...and I'll call it a draw if he finishes top 3!:p

I'm a gambling man, but not an idiot. :D

Weirsy is the dark horse in my pool.....and I hate to say it, but I am rarely wrong in my picks.

But, maybe it's time for a dumb pick on my part. :rofl:

par72
Jul 22, 2010, 09:53 AM
We will see Scott, and if you are right I'd be as happy as anyone.

I was really looking forward to trying some Penta's on your dime though:rofl:

Bentley01
Jul 22, 2010, 09:59 AM

And the way you hit your drives, that would be a year's supply of balls!

racmbs
Jul 22, 2010, 10:02 AM

Like I said, born at night...but not last night.

We can certainly play for Penta's when we tip it, I don't mind taking some off you. :p

par72
Jul 22, 2010, 10:04 AM
I wont have any Penta's...I play the #1 Ball in Golf.

If i play anywhere near like I did for Bentley and SLUGO you'll take anything we play for...but int he immortal words of Ty Webb.... I don't play golf...for money...against people....

Bentley01
Jul 22, 2010, 10:10 AM

If i play anywhere near like I did for Bentley and SLUGO you'll take anything we play for...but int he immortal words of Ty Webb.... I don't play golf...for money...against people....

Even though you weren't up to par that day, I was pretty impressed with your drives - long and very accurate. Not many guys can call the shot on the tee AND execute!:p

par72
Jul 22, 2010, 10:13 AM
Thank you. I figured out my lower body issues and my swing is alot better today(in the office hallway) and hopefully the nash wont beat me up too badly. If someone who controls their golf ball as well as you struggles there...I cant imagine how duffers would play!

Abstract
Jul 22, 2010, 10:16 AM
Darkhorse aye?????

Box of Penta's Weirsy doesn't make Top 10. Come on man.....give me a chance to win back the Penta's :rofl::rofl:

I'm a gambling man, but not an idiot. :D

Weirsy is the dark horse in my pool.....and I hate to say it, but I am rarely wrong in my picks.

But, maybe it's time for a dumb pick on my part. :rofl:

Bentley01
Jul 22, 2010, 10:20 AM
Thank you. I figured out my lower body issues and my swing is alot better today(in the office hallway) and hopefully the nash wont beat me up too badly. If someone who controls their golf ball as well as you struggles there...I cant imagine how duffers would play!

If you hit your drives as straight as you did, that will go a long way to "taming" The National. Well, at least it will help you stay under 90. I was hitting the ball a bit better than I have the last couple of weeks, but still not back to normal. My last three rounds at the National were 97, 90 and 95 (took a 10 and had a 4-putt:eek:)! The slightest error eliminates par and brings double into play! So, play smart that day! I'll help you like a caddie would!:)

racmbs
Jul 22, 2010, 10:23 AM

Now there is your first problem....Pro V's were the # ball in golf when Dean Snell was with them, as he's the one responsible for it.

He's been with Taylormade for years now, so you are playing an inferior golf ball. :p

par72
Jul 22, 2010, 10:30 AM
I hope I was a good caddy as well;).

And Scott...At least im inferior with a large group of other inferiors:p

Plus then when i take some Penta's from you it will make it all the more impressive!

If you hit your drives as straight as you did, that will go a long way to "taming" The National. Well, at least it will help you stay under 90. I was hitting the ball a bit better than I have the last couple of weeks, but still not back to normal. My last three rounds at the National were 97, 90 and 95 (took a 10 and had a 4-putt:eek:)! The slightest error eliminates par and brings double into play! So, play smart that day! I'll help you like a caddie would!:)

racmbs
Jul 22, 2010, 10:33 AM
I hope I was a good caddy as well;).

And Scott...At least im inferior with a large group of other inferiors:p

Plus then when i take some Penta's from you it will make it all the more impressive!

Spoken like a true competitor! :D

I look forward to making you cry. :p

par72
Jul 22, 2010, 10:40 AM
It's what I do best:hush: hahaha

If I don't get my game in check with my mouth you probably will...but I look forward to it!

Spoken like a true competitor! :D

I look forward to making you cry. :p