View Full Version : Starting on Number 9?!?!?!

Jul 22, 2010, 10:19 AM
So I figured this morning when I checked the first score card I was seeing a pgatour.com glitch, which happens and is understandable enough. After seeing scorecard after scorecard come in with Hole 9 as their first score I got curious... (c+p'd from pgatour.com):

1 AND 9: While the majority of TOUR events feature players starting on two different tees for Thursday and Friday rounds, this year's Canadian Open provides us with a twist. Instead of teeing off on holes Nos. 1 and 10, players will start rounds on No. 1 and No. 9.
The ninth tee is close to the clubhouse at St. George's while No. 10's teebox is nearly 600 yards away (behind the green of the par-5 9th).

Have I been sleeping? Did everyone else know about this?

Anyone know why there is no ShotTracker this week? Our border guards must be strict on technology....

Jul 22, 2010, 10:26 AM
Read about it yesterday. The other issue is that the finish on 8 is close to Islington where the finish on 9 is way away fromt he clubhouse.

Makes sense to solve the flow of golfers.

Jul 22, 2010, 10:53 AM
The Golf Channel had the skinny on it last night...tee times are 20 minutes earlier off the 9th to account for playing a 10 hole "back nine".

Jul 22, 2010, 11:44 AM
St. George's is one of those courses where you don't end the front 9 at the clubhouse. For the 'turn' there is a refreshment hut? building? whatever you want to call it to the left of the 12th tee. It's being used as a concessions stand this week.

Beside it is a wooden structure that took me a few minutes to figure out. I believe it's a stand to hold replacement divot fix bottles. Quite a nice looking stand, I wish more courses would offer this.