PDA

View Full Version : Best Spot to be at the Canadian Open

Marcolex
Jul 22, 2010, 02:07 PM
hi all
what is the best spot to be watching the Canadian Open?
I will be there on Sunday and couldnt find a map of the course in the website.
thanks

grass connoisseur
Jul 22, 2010, 02:52 PM
it's already been suggested # 3 tee box- 3 hoels can be seen from there is what I read.

Marcolex
Jul 22, 2010, 02:54 PM
it's already been suggested # 3 tee box- 3 hoels can be seen from there is what I read.

thanks! I searched and couldn't come up with any thread about it..

acgolfer
Jul 22, 2010, 04:53 PM
After following the Mahan group in the morning, I parked myself there. After the Daly and Weir groups went through and it cleared up ... it was beautiful

Borbor
Jul 22, 2010, 05:13 PM
After following the Mahan group in the morning, I parked myself there. After the Daly and Weir groups went through... it was beautiful

I caught em in the 2nd fairway; didn't hike to the green. Debated about it and then I saw the green in the shadows and wandered over to the 11th tee :D

Bosco
Jul 22, 2010, 07:33 PM
Coronaville overlooking the first hole and the putting green

ninja
Jul 22, 2010, 10:09 PM
There's a busy area where holes 1 & 2 crossover holes 10 & 11....non-stop activity.

My personal favourite however is on the hill of #15 where you can watch the drives land....some 2nd shots will practically sail over your head and then a great view of the approach shots.

Big Shooter
Jul 23, 2010, 12:53 AM
#13 at the back of the property, where NO ONE is!!! :cool:

bumpnrun
Jul 23, 2010, 06:30 PM
Was there today, and can attest to the fact that being beside the 2nd green as home base works really well. You see them hit their approaches in, a few steps from 3rd tee, a few steps from 6 green and a few steps from 7 tee.

Another good spot is back of 14 green.

bainsco
Jul 23, 2010, 07:41 PM
Best far the best spot is at the #2 green, #7 Teebox, #6 green, and the #3 tee box. great vantage points of all the players coming in, and your close to all the action. That's where I was standing at today. Plus each spot is a few short yards from one another. So there's not a great deal of movement. We got that advice from one of the volunteers that worked there.

Also a good spot was the 1st green and 11 tee box. Well shaded and a good look at some great approach shots to #1 and great vantage for the drive off #11 tee.

Killer21
Jul 23, 2010, 07:51 PM
#13 at the back of the property, where NO ONE is!!! :cool:

Yes! When you walk in the main gate go past 16 and follow 15 in reverse back to towards it's tee and you will come to a great spot between 12th tee and 14th green, if you get their early enough perch you chair right next to the green laser tower where the caddies park their bags. You can alternate between their and watch them tee off at 12th (tough to see them land though). Bring binoculars and you can also see the second shot on 15 depending if anyone is in your line of view. As well as 11th green. You should get lots of tv time their as well. Nice and shady area!

Bellyhungry
Jul 23, 2010, 07:55 PM
My plan is to sit in the 18th skybox and drink and eat and watch the broadcast on TV both days this weekend. :D

I will sneak some free drink and food to any TGN'r I happen to come upon.

Big Shooter
Jul 23, 2010, 08:00 PM
Yes! When you walk in the main gate go past 16 and follow 15 in reverse back to towards it's tee and you will come to a great spot between 12th tee and 14th green, if you get their early enough perch you chair right next to the green laser tower where the caddies park their bags.

Yeah, I was there for both Daly's group & Weir's group, and also watched Chopra's group going off #12....back of #13 is the tee for #14 with a close up view of tee shots that we really liked!

bainsco
Jul 23, 2010, 08:01 PM
My plan is to sit in the 18th skybox and drink and eat and watch the broadcast on TV both days this weekend. :D
Oh suuuuuuuuuuuuuure...if you wanna do it that way.:rolleyes:

Bellyhungry
Jul 23, 2010, 08:04 PM
Oh suuuuuuuuuuuuuure...if you wanna do it that way.:rolleyes:

If you are there and can ID yourself, I will sneak you some refreshment and food. No need to over pay at concession stands. :)

bainsco
Jul 23, 2010, 08:05 PM
If you are there and can ID yourself, I will sneak you some refreshment and food. No need to over pay at concession stands. :)
That would be great but this weekend is a family weekend. Was lucky to get out today. I thank you for the offer, because at 6.00 a beer...could break the bank!

olmanracer
Jul 23, 2010, 08:49 PM
Hey Marcolex. When you enter the main gate after shuttle bus drops you off, they have free brochures with starting times and course map. They also have maps posted in many areas of the course showing you where you are. We were at most of the holes including the bleachers at 18. As bumpnrun indicated 2nd hole green would be a great start, popular spot. It was like walking in a sauna today from 9 to 5 but enjoyed every minute of it.

Marcolex
Jul 23, 2010, 09:21 PM
thanks guys for all the replies...
ended up selling the ticket today, no canadian open for me, sharkhark just came by to get it...
all this golf thing is so frustrating trying to balance with family...:(

Killer21
Jul 23, 2010, 09:49 PM
ended up selling the ticket today, no canadian open for me, sharkhark just came by to get it...

that's too bad, I usually volunteer and am there all week, so was just there for essentially half a day thursday morning - I have a 16 month old and almost felt guilty sitting there enjoying myself alone, it was basically just a tease.
You have to do what you have to do. Sitting at home watching on the tube is a pretty good alternative!

bainsco
Jul 23, 2010, 09:53 PM
Family is always first bud. I was lucky to have a day today. Tomorrow the Shriners Circus.

Marcolex
Jul 23, 2010, 09:59 PM
that's too bad, I usually volunteer and am there all week, so was just there for essentially half a day thursday morning - I have a 16 month old and almost felt guilty sitting there enjoying myself alone, it was basically just a tease.
You have to do what you have to do. Sitting at home watching on the tube is a pretty good alternative!

tube it is, Killer21... :)

Family is always first bud. I was lucky to have a day today. Tomorrow the Shriners Circus.

oh yeah, bainsco...family first! :) wife with 2 kids at home and I am on vacation starting today...oopps, I mean wife is on vacation..heehhe

bigfreak
Jul 23, 2010, 10:24 PM

Are you in it again? :p

bainsco
Jul 23, 2010, 10:30 PM
Are you in it again? :p
Yes, as Elephant #2:cool:

tarheel23
Jul 24, 2010, 07:39 PM
Behind the 13th green is nice & shady! Plus you can see some nice long tee shots down #14. Then you can be ready to follow the leaders to the end if you want.

Lennox
Jul 24, 2010, 09:14 PM

I will sneak some free drink and food to any TGN'r I happen to come upon.

If you're serious, I just landed some tickets and I'm bringing some TGNers with me. We'll be around (actually, one of the guys was in an 18th skybox today, luck *******)... but I don't know where yet. This thread is helping a lot.

It's almost like we need a secret stance or something (flamingo?) and when you see someone in that stance, go and say hi (or pass down some bevvies :D)

oneeighty
Jul 24, 2010, 10:12 PM
I was there on Wednesday. Though I didn't see all the hole, I was at 3rd tee for about 2.5 hours watching pros. It is great because you see 3rd tee, 6th green, and 7th tee, and they are all 20 yards from each other. Great spot.

sharkhark
Jul 24, 2010, 11:04 PM
was very cool of you ...and i appreciate it....looking forward to my second open ever....after last yr being my first on a soggy monday finish. tomorrow is looking alot drier.
thx again for the ticket and generous deal. a nice send off from toronto.....

Lennox
Jul 24, 2010, 11:08 PM
For those of you who have been to other opens: It sounds like this is a great course for spectator viewing. Is this better than other open courses (Glen Abbey, Angus Glen, etc.?)

all_in_golf
Jul 25, 2010, 12:04 PM
spent time on the hill on #15 and as a previous poster said...great viewing, see the tee shot, 2nd shot right in front of you then watch the 3rd into the green...hardly anyone there either...spent my time when it was raining in the corporate pavilion off of #17 (good food and free beer, but no viewing)...the #18 corp suites were really nice though, great view and even better food...:D

xrox
Jul 25, 2010, 02:32 PM
For those of you who have been to other opens: It sounds like this is a great course for spectator viewing. Is this better than other open courses (Glen Abbey, Angus Glen, etc.?)The GOOD: There are a lot of spots for multiple hole viewing as the holes are really crammed in there. And the course is just absolutely beautiful. The ropes were really tight on many greens so you could get really close to the players. We saw John Daly implode on 14 as he played 5 shots in what seemed like 20 seconds :) Was not too happy.

The BAD: I found it to be much more difficult to walk than Glen Abbey. The course layout, topography, entrance location, and the heat and humidity all contributed to an exhausting 8 hours :) We had parking on Islington right near the south entrance and thanks to the course layout around the homes it takes forever to get to the front nine and back. An exit to islington from 1 tee or 9 tee would have made a world of difference. For us, the stuff available on islington (Coronaville..etc) was irrelevant as to get there and back was not worth it.

Bwadd
Jul 25, 2010, 02:48 PM
Was at the open yesterday and liked sitting oat the right side of the 16th green Par 3... it was cool to see the 203yrd par 3 tee shots come up to the green and then be really close to the pros while they putted etc... also the grand stands on the back of 15 overlooked the 15th greena and 16th tee boxes!

sharkhark
Jul 25, 2010, 05:46 PM
i was there today and liked the 15th. i liked the approach shots and putting with ability to see them really up close.
Guess my highlights were a really good putt made by guy named joe durant....and having jimmie walkers caddy tell me...."quiet please!":rolleyes:.....possibly twice:confused::$:$:$:$

scottybonus
Jul 25, 2010, 07:10 PM
i was there today and liked the 15th. i liked the approach shots and putting with ability to see them really up close.
Guess my highlights were a really good putt made by guy named joe durant....and having jimmie walkers caddy tell me...."quiet please!":rolleyes:.....possibly twice:confused::$:$:$:$

You having to be told to be quiet...no way :hush: hahaha

sharkhark
Jul 25, 2010, 08:34 PM
You having to be told to be quiet...no way :hush: hahaha
...hey i can take it...i know my weakness's.....what can i say....too much apparently.......:$

Bellyhungry
Jul 25, 2010, 08:59 PM
Agree that the hill on the left side of the 15th fairway is the best spot by a mile.

The area behind the 1st tee was is pretty good for you could see players coming through the tunnel and see them up close on the practice putting green before they teed of.

bigfreak
Jul 25, 2010, 09:15 PM
we were sitting in the skybox at the 15th green today. took a walk about the course. man did that look tough!