PDA

View Full Version : OK Golf Channel - what?

DukeN
Jul 22, 2010, 05:05 PM
Was it really necessary to cut the Canadian Open to goto "Golf Central"?

I think most people would rather watch the live event with players still on the course (Casey, etc) than some chit-chat by the TV folks.

par72
Jul 22, 2010, 05:08 PM
Would you be saying the same thing next week at the Greenbrier?

I wish they had every shot thursday to sunday on tv...but they do have to pay for all the operations and stuff and probably don't have commercial time sold for extended coverage.

With the Evian Masters and the British Senior Open taking place I'd say it is not wrong to cut to Golf Central at it's scheduled time....IMHO.

kingstongolf
Jul 22, 2010, 05:10 PM
Sorry to threadjack, but I just got back in town from vacation and am wondering why Jim Furyk isn't in the Cdn Open? I've done a number of Google searches for "Furyk withdraw" etc. but haven't found anything. Thanks.

par72
Jul 22, 2010, 05:13 PM
LOL...i was wondering the same thing....

Bentley01
Jul 22, 2010, 05:16 PM
Sorry to threadjack, but I just got back in town from vacation and am wondering why Jim Furyk isn't in the Cdn Open? I've done a number of Google searches for "Furyk withdraw" etc. but haven't found anything. Thanks.

I think he paid his dues when he came to the Canadian Open. Then, the poor guy wins, so he's obligated to defend his title. Luckily, he lost. So, he doesn't have to come here anymore.:D

Maybe that's why Tiger doesn't come here anymore. He might actually win, setting off a chain reaction of having to come here every year.

kingstongolf
Jul 22, 2010, 05:27 PM
Yeah, but didn't he enter this year?

newy
Jul 22, 2010, 05:34 PM
He pulled out so he and his wife could stay w/ his wife in Scotland to celebrate her birthday there. True story. I bet he'll be back next year...

kingstongolf
Jul 22, 2010, 05:41 PM
OK, thanks. But I don't get it. Two-time champ and maybe the biggest name in the tourney withdraws at the last minute after confirming his entry, and I can't find any report about it anywhere? Not on ScoreGolf, Globe&Mail, TOstar, etc? What am I missing? Am I blind?

RobertThompson
Jul 22, 2010, 05:44 PM
Well, I wrote about it at the time -- maybe the Globe etc. isn't where you should look for your golf news:

http://canadiangolfer.com/g4g/2010/07/17/final-canopen-field-whats-wrong-with-weir-and-g4g-on-cpga-radio-today/

OK, thanks. But I don't get it. Two-time champ and maybe the biggest name in the tourney withdraws at the last minute after confirming his entry, and I can't find any report about it anywhere? Not on ScoreGolf, Globe&Mail, TOstar, etc? What am I missing? Am I blind?

kingstongolf
Jul 22, 2010, 06:29 PM
Thanks Robert. No dog-ate-my-homework excuse from Furyk? Given that he was used in pre-tournament publicity and is clearly the star of the field, don't ticket purchasers deserve an explanation?

par72
Jul 22, 2010, 06:41 PM
What is the Tour's policy on players dropping out sans injury? Robert, You may be able to enlighten.

I don't really understand the fuss. I used to get upset by this when I thought players could not withdraw once committed unless injured. Since it seems like the Tour does not care, it's tough to fault players for entering as much as they want and essentially showing up if they feel like it. The PGA needs to do something about this, Since I don't think Furyk is a bad guy or should get a bum rap...but this needs to be stopped from happening.

Bellyhungry
Jul 23, 2010, 07:00 AM
Rickie 'Lay-up' Fowler apparently decided to play at the Scandanavian Masters for an appearance fee.

Too bad, he would have been a big draw.