PDA

View Full Version : How Low are They Going to Go?

Bentley01
Jul 22, 2010, 08:02 PM
Of course, we're talking about the Canadian Open. First round leader 8 under? For a National Open? Something's wrong here.

Will they keep it up? What will the final total be?

par72
Jul 22, 2010, 08:30 PM
16-20 i voted....course doesnt look to grow any teeth with lots of rain in the forecast....

bainsco
Jul 22, 2010, 08:39 PM
I'll go with 11 to 15 under...rain may play a factor but we shall see. At least there will be no wind like at St Andrews.

WILL
Jul 22, 2010, 08:42 PM
The other question is ... could you get within 40 shots at the end of 4 days ??

The Troll
Jul 22, 2010, 08:57 PM
The other question is ... could you get within 40 shots at the end of 1 day ??

Fixed it to relate to me.... :eek:

Feherty Fan
Jul 22, 2010, 09:22 PM
I think the slope on the greens and the rough will still keep the score reasonable, can't believe a guy will go really low everyday. My guess is winning score won't be more then -12 or -13

WILL
Jul 22, 2010, 09:29 PM
Fixed it to relate to me.... :eek:

And me. :hush:

I don't think the winning score will surpass -20. Round 4 pins usually keep folks in line a bit more.

Borbor
Jul 22, 2010, 09:39 PM
I think the slope on the greens and the rough will still keep the score reasonable, can't believe a guy will go really low everyday. My guess is winning score won't be more then -12 or -13

they need to double roll the greens every morning to keep the score around 10 under par after today.

If it rains tomorrow and they go lift clean and cheat, forget it; it'll be 15 under if not lower.

Fantasy09
Jul 22, 2010, 09:51 PM
There isn't any dangerous hole where they will make a big number, I say 23 under.

Ignatius Reilly
Jul 22, 2010, 10:36 PM
Of course, we're talking about the Canadian Open. First round leader 8 under? For a National Open? Something's wrong here.

Will they keep it up? What will the final total be?

First round leader at 8 under???? That is appalling. It is the sign of a very very very low-rent championship.

I cannot think of a single other championship or major in the past 4 days that has had such a revolting and embarrassing score.

Of course, if you go back a whole week, then it's a different matter, but that tournament is pretty old and out-of date...:p

FWIW I think the course wil grow some teeth on Sunday. 12 is proving to be a challenge (I've yet to par that), and others can be made more... "interesting".

And Brent Delahoussaye may just fall back a bit. I'm not all that familiar with his past scores, but something tells me this was his best round...

Bentley01
Jul 22, 2010, 10:57 PM
Just so my vote is on the record... 21 - 25 under, which I think is an embarrassment for our major championship. They grew the rough, significantly, but they kept the greens at a reasonable speed, given the slopes. Even so, there were a number of trickling downhillers, today. If the greens had been faster, they wouldn't have been able to putt these anywhere near the hole, if they missed.

So, apart from tougher pin positions, the course bared it's teeth, today. Half the field was at par or better! There's 12 guys at 5 under or better and another dozen at 4 under. A bit of rain will soften up the greens, which can only help the scoring.

dekker
Jul 23, 2010, 09:24 AM
doubt it will reach -12, even with the rain. Hitting into elevated greens from the water-logged rough is a lucky guess for the best of them.

JR59
Jul 23, 2010, 09:30 AM
They grew the rough, significantly, but they kept the greens at a reasonable speed, given the slopes. Even so, there were a number of trickling downhillers, today. If the greens had been faster, they wouldn't have been able to putt these anywhere near the hole, if they missed.

The tour has stipulated how fast the greens can be. They were concerned that if they were any faster and it was windy there would be an issue with (golf) balls rolling on the greens.

I was hoping they'd have them quicker but it isn't up to anyone at the RCGA or St. Georges.

par72
Jul 23, 2010, 09:36 AM
HAHA I'll take the bet Dekker....25 bucks to your Wilson 8802 napa style that it is lower that -12? let me know....:p

doubt it will reach -12, even with the rain. Hitting into elevated greens from the water-logged rough is a lucky guess for the best of them.

hbassi
Jul 23, 2010, 12:05 PM
]First round leader at 8 under???? That is appalling. It is the sign of a very very very low-rent championship.
[/B]
I cannot think of a single other championship or major in the past 4 days that has had such a revolting and embarrassing score.

Of course, if you go back a whole week, then it's a different matter, but that tournament is pretty old and out-of date...:p

FWIW I think the course wil grow some teeth on Sunday. 12 is proving to be a challenge (I've yet to par that), and others can be made more... "interesting".

And Brent Delahoussaye may just fall back a bit. I'm not all that familiar with his past scores, but something tells me this was his best round...

Good luck telling that to St. Andrews last week! I guess Rory and OOOS (the champ) dont think the British Open is low rent.
Low Rent? Come on....the truth is the event is what it is. They grew out the rough but the course is to short, the greens arent that tricky for PGA tour players. For everyday players, Stanley Thompson gives everyone fits. But PGA TOUR players play on courses like this every week.

par72
Jul 23, 2010, 12:07 PM
He was joking:cool: Didn't you think it was strange he said no other tournament in the last 4 days???

Good luck telling that to St. Andrews last week! I guess Rory and OOOS (the champ) dont think the British Open is low rent.
Low Rent? Come on....the truth is the event is what it is. They grew out the rough but the course is to short, the greens arent that tricky for PGA tour players. For everyday players, Stanley Thompson gives everyone fits. But PGA TOUR players play on courses like this every week.

Bentley01
Jul 23, 2010, 12:11 PM

Actually, they don't. That's why St. George's is a unique tour stop. Since the greens are set up slower than they are at other tour stops, you can figure it out that the slopes on these greens are more severe than they are at "regular" tour courses. Obviously, I'm excluding the majors with this comment.

Little Shooter
Jul 23, 2010, 02:18 PM
I said at the start of the week that single digit under par as a winning score would not suprise me. I still think it will be much closer to 10 under than 20. Things will get tougher as the week rolls on, especially the rough.

Torontonian
Jul 23, 2010, 03:06 PM
the winner will be -17

Lefty17
Jul 23, 2010, 03:12 PM
Winner -14.

Ignatius Reilly
Jul 23, 2010, 03:15 PM
He was joking:cool: Didn't you think it was strange he said no other tournament in the last 4 days???

Thanks Par! I tried to give enough clues, but maybe a boatload of smilies is required ;):D:):confused::rolleyes::cool::rofl::eek:

It had just struck me as surprising that a thread would start with this topic the week after the Open had a lower score to start.

For the record, I'm going with -11 to -15. I think we've seen the low scores in the first day.

dekker
Jul 23, 2010, 03:43 PM
HAHA I'll take the bet Dekker....25 bucks to your Wilson 8802 napa style that it is lower that -12? let me know....:p

:rofl: no betts, you should have bought it when you had the chance.:rofl:
I promise I won't tell your girlfriend.:D

I seriously can't see a runaway score on this course, it's not the Bob Hope after-all. Lift, clean & place does make a mockery of this game however.
If the weather unfolds as forecast the ball will need a paddle to get to the hole.

estokid17
Jul 23, 2010, 05:00 PM
They will not be shooting many scores below 65 on the weekend. As the nerves begin to build, a slight miss on a drive will turn into some bogeys, and the pin placements will get more difficult. Winning score, -13.

Bentley01
Jul 24, 2010, 09:37 AM
They will not be shooting many scores below 65 on the weekend. As the nerves begin to build, a slight miss on a drive will turn into some bogeys, and the pin placements will get more difficult. Winning score, -13.

A few early scores on Saturday

Pettersson is 6 under through 11
Rich Barcelo is 5 under through 15
Jay Williamson 4 under through 10
Jon Mills is 2 under through 5

The only anxiety these guys have is where to spend their winnings!

When the greens are soft, these guys can get to the tough pins with relative ease. Another 62 shot yesterday.

If this course is going to bare its teeth, let's hope they used enough polygrip!:D

Bentley01
Jul 24, 2010, 09:52 AM
A few early scores on Saturday

Pettersson is 6 under through 11
Rich Barcelo is 5 under through 15
Jay Williamson 4 under through 10
Jon Mills is 2 under through 5

Update. Pettersson now 7 under after 13 (1 off course record). Williamson goes to 5 under through 12, and Jon Mills 3 under through 6. Only Barcelo dropped to 4 under after 17.

This course is a "gummer":D

Bentley01
Jul 24, 2010, 10:03 AM
Pettersson is now 8 under after 14 - has two eagles in the round. Even has a bogie on the card.

The course is on a steady diet of pablum - not even baby teeth showing yet.:D

Bentley01
Jul 24, 2010, 10:39 AM
Pettersson's 10 under with one to go. If he birdies 18 (difficult) he could be the next 59!

Hopefully, we'll see some highlights of this once the coverage starts!

Big Shooter
Jul 24, 2010, 10:45 AM
Pettersson's 10 under with one to go. If he birdies 18 (difficult) he could be the next 59!

Hopefully, we'll see some highlights of this once the coverage starts!

Ya might want to add *** SPOILER ALERT *** to this thread!!! :mad:

Bentley01
Jul 24, 2010, 10:51 AM
Ya might want to add *** SPOILER ALERT *** to this thread!!! :mad:

No need, as soon as the coverage starts, this is guaranteed to be the #1 story. Do you think they're going to start off with "watch this shot of Pettersson", "and this one", "and this one"... and tease everyone until they mention his final score??

You will know what Pettersson scored within 30 seconds of the coverage starting. Will the announcers be spoiling it for you?

Maybe with this thread, some guys will tune in at the very start of the coverage. It only needs a spoiler alert if it was possible to tape the game and watch it later. That isn't possible in this case. Hence, no need for the spoiler alert.

Now turn that frown upside down!:)

Bentley01
Jul 24, 2010, 10:58 AM
Just to keep some suspense alive (at least until 30 seconds into TV coverage), I won't say whether he broke 60 or not.:D

Big Shooter
Jul 24, 2010, 11:26 AM
Just to keep some suspense alive (at least until 30 seconds into TV coverage), I won't say whether he broke 60 or not.:D

Don't CLICK HERE: http://www.pgatour.com/players/02/53/45/scorecards/2010/r032.html

..there ya go! Frown is upside down! :)

Bentley01
Jul 24, 2010, 11:37 AM
Don't CLICK HERE: http://www.pgatour.com/players/02/53/45/scorecards/2010/r032.html

..there ya go! Frown is upside down! :)

If you tell people NOT to do something, you know what happens! Thanks for spoiling it for those that wanted to wait until the start of the TV broadcast!:D