/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

U.S.G.A. = U.S. Open .. R.C.G.A. = Canadian Open ?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S.G.A. = U.S. Open .. R.C.G.A. = Canadian Open ?

Apparently ?? (not sure), but it seems the U.S.G.A. can ignore the usual PGA tour guidelines for course setup.

Is that true?

If so, wonder what it would take for the R.C.G.A. to to run the Can Open and set it up like a U.S. Open course.

I'm going to guess they may have already investigated that route, but probably weren't able to make it work.

A score of 60 in a "national open" is ridiculous.

Re: U.S.G.A. = U.S. Open .. R.C.G.A. = Canadian Open ?

I'm going to guess that if the PGA Tour let them set up the Canadian Open like the US Open, it would somehow diminish the uniqueness of the US Open and "unjustly" elevate the Canadian event over the other US tour stops. All BS, but probably some truth to this.

Still, if the greens were running 13, they'd have to bring in windmills and clown cutouts. It would be ridiculous and the players would be screaming (and never come back).

Let's face it, St. George's is about as difficult as it can be set up, without being silly ridiculous. It's a GREAT course, but perhaps it is a bit too easy for a National Championship.
    Driver: Ping 10*
    Wood: Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood
    Irons: Accuform PTM (3 - PW)
    Hybrid: TaylorMade 3 (OUT - had enough, make me an offer)
    Wedges: Cleveland 54* & 60*, TaylorMade 52*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Two "The Art of Putting"
    Bag: Ogio Ultra light
    Balls: Pro v1 / TaylorMade Red

Comment

Originally posted by Bentley01 View Post
      I'm going to guess that if the PGA Tour let them set up the Canadian Open like the US Open, it would somehow diminish the uniqueness of the US Open and "unjustly" elevate the Canadian event over the other US tour stops. All BS, but probably some truth to this.

Still, if the greens were running 13, they'd have to bring in windmills and clown cutouts. It would be ridiculous and the players would be screaming (and never come back).

Let's face it, St. George's is about as difficult as it can be set up, without being silly ridiculous. It's a GREAT course, but perhaps it is a bit too easy for a National Championship.
      I think the fear of balls rolling off the front of a few greens had them slow them down too much. They've had them faster for member events.

Lift Clean and Place has helped the scoring, as has the wet weather. Also noticed yesterday that the pin placements were relatively benign on the dozen or so holes I saw.

They also decided to play 8 from the members' tees as well as 6. Hopefully they'll move them back.

Am I happy they've been going so low? Nope, really bruising my ego. Playing there Tuesday morning from the tips to bruise my ego even more.

Comment

Yea I think St. Georges definitely could be showing a few more teeth this weekend. Unfortunate.

Comment

US Open isn't a PGA Tour event....the Canadian Open is a PGA Tour event. Hence, course set up is subject to PGA Tour approval.

Can't do much when the course is wet.
          I like big putts and I cannot lie
          You other putters can't deny
          That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
          You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

The 60 is a crazy low score but thats more to do with the way Petersson played and not entirely the fault of the course set up. He hit all the fairways and left the ball below the hole almost always which is textbook for how to play the course (from what the commentators keep saying).

Also, the fact that he shot the 60 instantly vaulted him into the lead which suggests that the course is playing just fine and a crazy good round was rewarded.
            ---
            Driver: Taylormade R7 SuperQuad 10.5* Oban Devotion 6 Stiff
            3-Wood: Taylormade V-Steel 15*
            Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue 3-19*
            Irons: Taylormade 300 forged 3-PW
            Wedges: Taylormade RAC TP 52, 56, 60
            Putter: 33" Scotty Red X2
            Ball: Bridgestone B330s, Pro V1

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse