PDA

View Full Version : Crazy story from Tuesday at the Cdn. Open

gbrgolf
Jul 24, 2010, 09:36 PM
as you are all aware the Tournament may be at St. Georges CC but the driving range is 1 mile south on Islington Ave. at the Islington CC. Considering the logistical nightmare that this represents, the RCGA has done a great job organizing a fleet of mini vans to shuttle Players, Caddies, Reps, Press, etc back and forth. This seemed to work great the entire time I was there.
Now understand Islington Ave. is closed around St. Georges, so the traffic is limited on the street and the majority of cars on Islington are these shuttle vans.
So what does the Toronto Police decide to do...... set up a speed trap between St. Georges and Islington CC. on the south side all morning ad moved to the north side in the PM:hyper: how ridiculous was that!!! what gets crazier is that one shuttle with a player and his caddie got nailed!
Just some thoughts,
g

PS. Thanks to the TGNer's that came by and said hi earlier in the week! would love to have given more tours of the TM van!

Onin3
Jul 24, 2010, 10:22 PM
No surprise.

as you are all aware the Tournament may be at St. Georges CC but the driving range is 1 mile south on Islington Ave. at the Islington CC. Considering the logistical nightmare that this represents, the RCGA has done a great job organizing a fleet of mini vans to shuttle Players, Caddies, Reps, Press, etc back and forth. This seemed to work great the entire time I was there.
Now understand Islington Ave. is closed around St. Georges, so the traffic is limited on the street and the majority of cars on Islington are these shuttle vans.
So what does the Toronto Police decide to do...... set up a speed trap between St. Georges and Islington CC. on the south side all morning ad moved to the north side in the PM:hyper: how ridiculous was that!!! what gets crazier is that one shuttle with a player and his caddie got nailed!
Just some thoughts,
g

PS. Thanks to the TGNer's that came by and said hi earlier in the week! would love to have given more tours of the TM van!

WILL
Jul 24, 2010, 11:04 PM
Just some thoughts,
g

We stopped by the TM tour van and knocked (as per Adam Barr's suggestion) but no one would answer. :confused:

gbrgolf
Jul 25, 2010, 12:27 AM
We stopped by the TM tour van and knocked (as per Adam Barr's suggestion) but no one would answer. :confused:

That's weird, cause the Van door is never locked, unless it was after 6pm, they left around then. It's an electric door, you push the button. If you knocked then they may have not heard you if they were working on clubs..... but as you probably noticed there was someone going in and out every thirty seconds..... only van there, they were busy!!!! The Van was always busy with all the local TM reps giving tours!!!
Too bad, I gave lots of guys tours of the range and van, there weren't many reps there so I was pretty easy to find!!
g

Borbor
Jul 25, 2010, 02:21 AM
Just some thoughts,
g

Why is it ridiculous?

It's a POSTED 50 zone. Speed at your own peril.

Big Shooter
Jul 25, 2010, 03:39 AM
Why is it ridiculous?

Exactly, it's a Very Well Knows SPEED ZONE, if you frequent/live in the area!!

ontario
Jul 25, 2010, 07:12 AM
You're lucky they didn't pull driver out and beat on him with a baton. TPS is still pretty jacked up from the G20 protests.

gbrgolf
Jul 25, 2010, 11:27 AM
Why is it ridiculous?

Let's see, the RCGA is hiring a ton of officers for security.... that's a few bucks into the Police coffers to start with, then the volunteer that was stopped for speeding got a $40.00 ticket, that sounds like less that 15 over, not like he was endangering anyone on a road that is marked as closed and had limited traffic.
I took dozens of rides in those vans and even the police that were volunteering to drive the shuttles thought it was nuts!!
Maybe I'm out of line, but the thought of a player being late for a time irks me!
Just some thoughts.

dekker
Jul 25, 2010, 12:10 PM
Let's see, the RCGA is hiring a ton of officers for security.... that's a few bucks into the Police coffers to start with, then the volunteer that was stopped for speeding got a $40.00 ticket, that sounds like less that 15 over, not like he was endangering anyone on a road that is marked as closed and had limited traffic.
I took dozens of rides in those vans and even the police that were volunteering to drive the shuttles thought it was nuts!!
Maybe I'm out of line, but the thought of a player being late for a time irks me!
Just some thoughts.

Keystone Cop moment if the radar trap napped a police volunteer driving the shuttle. This city is truly starving for loose change.:rofl:

BowmanvilleJim
Jul 25, 2010, 12:32 PM
This is the cities revenge over the whole deferred property tax issue. why don't they set up a speed trap on the lakeshore during the Honda Indy. The city could snag all kinds of fine money and impound a bunch of expensive cars for stunt driving.

Wish i could putt
Jul 25, 2010, 12:37 PM
This is the cities revenge over the whole deferred property tax issue. why don't they set up a speed trap on the lakeshore during the Honda Indy. The city could snag all kinds of fine money and impound a bunch of expensive cars for stunt driving.
Good one Jim:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Samick
Jul 25, 2010, 12:39 PM
Have to agree, its stupid for these officers to set up speed traps on a closed road, for the Canadian Open. I can only imagine what some of the worlds best golfers think of 'The Canucks'. :rolleyes:

gbrgolf
Jul 25, 2010, 12:55 PM

Now that is funny!!!:D

joshgolfer
Jul 25, 2010, 01:08 PM
Completely agree with gbr - stupid doesn't even cut it to have a speed trap on a road closed for a tournament.

Big Shooter
Jul 25, 2010, 02:02 PM
Completely agree with gbr - stupid doesn't even cut it to have a speed trap on a road closed for a tournament.

the road is Closed from The Kingsway north to Eglinton, CLEARLY it is Open below that, and since many kids live in the area, and school's out, I don't see why this is so "stupid"...as I posted before, this stretch is a well-known Speed Enforcement area!:hush:

gbrgolf
Jul 25, 2010, 02:24 PM
Update....
We never saw the speed trap there on Wednesday and i was told that they never set it back up this week. I was also told that the volunteer's ticket was "taken care of". I think the powers at be came to their senses in spite of those whom think it was the "right thing to do".
I totally agree with having a speed trap there every day of the week if that is what makes those from the area happy, but I sure think they could have found another location in the neighborhood that also has children to set up the trap this week. My guess is that this week provided the residents of Islington (south of St. Georges) with the least traffic they have ever seen.
Any how, it made for great conversation on the range and in the shuttles for a couple of days.
more thoughts and observations,

tradernick
Jul 27, 2010, 07:23 AM
Why is it ridiculous?

If you don't know, no amount of explaining is going to make it any clearer to you.