PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Open ...yawn

Pages : [1] 2

BowmanvilleJim
Jul 25, 2010, 08:52 PM
Even though they are now hosting the event at some truly nice classic courses the event has lost it's lustre for me. The field was lacking in my mind. Top echelon players & the PGA Tour really don't value / appreciate the history of the event.

3whack
Jul 25, 2010, 08:58 PM
No, they don't.
And they haven't for quite some time.
I was hopeful that when RBC came on board and a number of U.S. tournament sponsors disappeared, they would move it to a better date.
But, no such luck.

WILL
Jul 25, 2010, 09:02 PM
How exactly is the field lacking ??

Leftygolfer30
Jul 25, 2010, 09:05 PM

You weren't playing...

BowmanvilleJim
Jul 25, 2010, 09:19 PM

It was a boring field. Maybe there just wasn't a good storyline to catch my interest.

sharkhark
Jul 25, 2010, 09:22 PM
i enjoyed my second open...last yr was first for monday wet finish....i really enjoyed the layout and course..i loved that i live 5 minutes away and walking down islington was like a fair...but
i gotta agree with the OP...there was only 1..yes....1...of the worlds top ten....in the final field..and that left it very boring....i rooted for little tim..but other than that..i admit i enjoyed it and would go again..but not seeing any of the big big names..did water it down a bit.

Fantasy09
Jul 25, 2010, 09:32 PM
It was a boring field. Maybe there just wasn't a good storyline to catch my interest.
There were still 120+ players in the field, still 70 & tie were making the cut, still a winner on Sunday afternoon, winner still collecting a big cheque & 500 Canada Post points. Where is the bore came from:confused: Plus, our top Canadian golfer, Weir missing cut as usual:eek:

BowmanvilleJim
Jul 25, 2010, 09:43 PM
There were still 120+ players in the field (just like so many other meaningless tournaments), still 70 & tie were making the cut(just like so many other meaningless tournaments), still a winner on Sunday afternoon(just like so many other meaningless tournaments), winner still collecting a big cheque(just like so many other meaningless tournaments) & 500 Canada Post points. Where is the bore came from:confused: Plus, our top Canadian golfer, Weir missing cut as usual:eek:(just like so many other meaningless tournaments)

I wish the event could draw the best players in the world but the date sucks and the top pros just don't view it as a meaningful event to win. To be honest I believe that the success of the tour and it's world golf championships, Fed Ex cup etc have greatly diminished the value of other events.

Fantasy09
Jul 25, 2010, 09:47 PM
I wish the event could draw the best players in the world but the date sucks and the top pros just don't view it as a meaningful event to win. To be honest I believe that the success of the tour and it's world golf championships, Fed Ex cup etc have greatly diminished the value of other events.
Agree with the Fed SEx cup, there is too much money there that top players are planed their schedule around it.

mfparkinson
Jul 25, 2010, 11:01 PM
Yeah, Sean O’Hair, Camilo Villegas, Luke Donald, Tim Clark, Hunter Mahan, Paul Casey, Fred Couples, Trevor Immelman, Ryuji Imada, Retief Goosen (and Anthony Kim if he were healthy, just to name a few) are really terrible players.

I think RBC has done a phenomenal job bringing bigger names to the Can Open... just because Tiger and Phil don't show up doesn't mean its not a legit tourney. It isn't the tourney's fault if guys don't play well.

Big Shooter
Jul 26, 2010, 02:37 AM
There were still 120+ players in the field, still 70 & tie were making the cut, still a winner on Sunday afternoon, winner still collecting a big cheque & 500 Canada Post points. Where is the bore came from:confused: Plus, our top Canadian golfer, Weir missing cut as usual:eek:

Yeah, Sean O’Hair, Camilo Villegas, Luke Donald, Tim Clark, Hunter Mahan, Paul Casey, Fred Couples, Trevor Immelman, Ryuji Imada, Retief Goosen (and Anthony Kim if he were healthy, just to name a few) are really terrible players.

I think RBC has done a phenomenal job bringing bigger names to the Can Open... just because Tiger and Phil don't show up doesn't mean its not a legit tourney. It isn't the tourney's fault if guys don't play well.

Yeah, because it's the week after the Open Championship, you're never gonna be able to get "everyone", in fact I was very pleasantly surprised to see Paul Casey!

For me, it's a chance to see some of the Best of the Rest, and they ALL have fantastic games....honestly, if Tiger & Phil were there (and I've seen them elsewhere), EVERYONE ELSE gets lost in the shuffle. When I went to the TPC in 2003, the crowds around Tiger were 10-15 people deep, and that was just at the range! :eek:
I followed Glen Hnatiuk (remember him?) for the front 9, and saw some GREAT golf!

I also thought the CBS coverage was fantastic on Sunday, sure they talked about Toronto & Canada a lot, but honestly I didn't find that they really went overboard!
...and though I'm not a huge Peter Kostis fan, I really liked the way HE seemed to take charge over Bill Macatee! :)

Bellyhungry
Jul 26, 2010, 05:58 AM
Personally, I am tired of the constant debate of the CDN Open field.

It is what it is. The supporters tend to oversell it and the detrctors tend to exaggerate how weak it is.

I agree with the OP that there's little excitements.

gbrgolf
Jul 26, 2010, 06:14 AM

Perfectly said!!!
Honestly, you look a the four Majors, the 4 World Championship events, the Players, Bay Hill, Memorial, Colonial and the Fed Ex playoff events.....there just isn't much room..... every tournament fights the same battle that the Canadian Open does.
You don't think the folks at other event don't complain that they don't get Tiger or Phil or more of the top guys? The only thing the RCGA can do is keep bringing this event to great old courses and try to regain it's image of an "Open" championship. The RGGA made lots of $$$ at Glen Abbey, but unfortunately this event turned into "just another Tour event" during those many years. At least in the minds of the players!!!
The other battle we fight, is the tax situation...... there are players that don't like losing such a big chunk of their pay cheque..... "big brother" takes it's share before the cheque is cut!!!
This was a really good field on a really good course, enjoy it!! Anyone one this site should enjoy watching any of these guys play, if you didn't go.... you missed out!!
I don't compliment the RGCA often, but three cheers on a great week at St. Georges!!
g

dekker
Jul 26, 2010, 06:37 AM
Why do we cry into our Timmies every morning after every Can.Open for one reason or another?
What whining schmucks we are because our prom queen isn't from the cheerleader list. Pathetic.

Lefty17
Jul 26, 2010, 06:43 AM
In all honestly the Greenbrier should be played last week and not this week. I thought Akron was suppose to be this week and then the PGA. So the Greenbrier gets a jammed in there instead of a event in which has been around for 100+ years??? That seems far to me....:mad:

Last year it was the Open then Cdn Open then Bridgeston then PGA...now there is an extra event in there this year..

RBC has done the best job they can with what they have. Immelman, Clark and Donald all in the top 5 and a multiple Pgatour player winning who people have actually heard of. No offense to Dean but the only thing I've heard out of him lately is I'm Stacked.

BowmanvilleJim
Jul 26, 2010, 07:10 AM

No one said they were terrible players but they aren't Tiger and Phil. You can't claim Anthony Kim as a member of the field when he didn't play. I also think RBC is doing a good job but I wouldn't say they are bringing in the big names. No Woods, Mickelson, Westwood, Stricker, Furyk, Els, McIlroy, Poulter.

The RCGA is making improvments but there's only so much they can do when you have a crap date.

You have to be honest, Dean Wilson and Carl Pettersson is not exactly the most exciting pair to watch.

gbrgolf
Jul 26, 2010, 07:10 AM
In all honestly the Greenbrier should be played last week and not this week. I thought Akron was suppose to be this week and then the PGA. So the Greenbrier gets a jammed in there instead of a event in which has been around for 100+ years??? That seems far to me....:mad:

Last year it was the Open then Cdn Open then Bridgeston then PGA...now there is an extra event in there this year..

RBC has done the best job they can with what they have. Immelman, Clark and Donald all in the top 5 and a multiple Pgatour player winning who people have actually heard of. No offense to Dean but the only thing I've heard out of him lately is I'm Stacked.

Haven't seen the list of players for Greenbrier, but I would guess the field will be weaker than the Canadian Open. Lots of guys taking the week off before a long stretch....

Lefty17
Jul 26, 2010, 07:18 AM
Haven't seen the list of players for Greenbrier, but I would guess the field will be weaker than the Canadian Open. Lots of guys taking the week off before a long stretch....

I think you would see a better field if the Cdn Open was this week. This weeks field was good. I think Mr Finchem would have put a good word in to a few players saying can you at least play this tourney sinces it's a first year event.

I can't see Phil playing these golf courses like Hamilton, St Georges or Shaunghnessy. Tiger I can because he loves these types of courses. Stricker ideal. Westwood has never played and never will. Furyk WD's for some reason. Poulter and Els are maybe in the future. But anyone with ties to the Euro you probably won't see over here.

Ignatius Reilly
Jul 26, 2010, 07:23 AM
I don't see how you can watch a guy shoot 60 with a lipout on 18 and call it a yawn. There was plenty of good golf to watch over the four days, and the field was decent enough, although I'd love to have Phil and Tiger show up.

I'd like to see the PGA tour do what the LPGA does: Add a rule that every player must play each tournament at least once every 4 years (or face a fine). The Tour is considering something similar, called "designated tournaments" http://www.pgatour.com/2010/r/06/30/flex-schedule/index.html.

"The concept is simple in theory: Identify three to six tournaments that have a perennially weak field and require the top 30 or 50 players (from the money list or the FedExCup points list) to play in one of them. The other half of the formula is to identify tournaments that annually have a "bad" date on the schedule and move them around on a yearly basis."

The Cdn Open would probably fall into the "bad date" category - but I'm not sure I'd be happy with it moving around to different dates every year (and I really don't think that would work for other reasons).

Not sure how well that would work, but it seems like a move in the right direction. LPGA approach is simpler.

BowmanvilleJim
Jul 26, 2010, 07:33 AM
I've always liked the idea of forcing players to play each event every 3 - 4 years.

I didn't get to see saturdays play. A 60 is good playing but the list of characters is still not as exciting even as white bread.

northernpro
Jul 26, 2010, 08:18 AM
just think about next year..if the Canadian follows the British..they must
fly to Vancouver from Britain..can you say----a very long flight...=very
low level field

mfparkinson
Jul 26, 2010, 08:45 AM
No one said they were terrible players but they aren't Tiger and Phil. You can't claim Anthony Kim as a member of the field when he didn't play. I also think RBC is doing a good job but I wouldn't say they are bringing in the big names. No Woods, Mickelson, Westwood, Stricker, Furyk, Els, McIlroy, Poulter.

The RCGA is making improvments but there's only so much they can do when you have a crap date.

You have to be honest, Dean Wilson and Carl Pettersson is not exactly the most exciting pair to watch.

Anthony Kim is an RBC player, was there last year, was there Thurs, Fri to show support and said he wanted to play the event when interviewed on thurs or fri.

And totally true about the timing and the date.

Albert Hacker
Jul 26, 2010, 08:48 AM
Jack Nicklaus played in the Canadian Open 27 times. He knew it was an important tournament.

Trouble is, after all the money began flooding into the PGA, sponsors money caused the PGA to move around lots of tournaments and classic events like the Cdn Open got screwed into ****** dates due to the prize money. So lesser events, with bigger dollars behind them, got the choice dates.

Until the date gets changed, the Canadian Open will never have an 'elite' level field.

At least the charter flight after the British Open is getting some of the name players to come.

But you gotta respect the fact that all PGA tour players are free agents, able to go to whatever events interest (pay) them the most.

Btw, at the end, I loved the sincere emotion of Carl Petterson. He was a good champion. Nice finish for him.

BowmanvilleJim
Jul 26, 2010, 08:59 AM
Anthony Kim is an RBC player, was there last year, was there Thurs, Fri to show support and said he wanted to play the event when interviewed on thurs or fri.

And totally true about the timing and the date.

All those things about Kim are true but he wasn't in the field this year so you can include him.

Bellyhungry
Jul 26, 2010, 09:00 AM
just think about next year..if the Canadian follows the British..they must
fly to Vancouver from Britain..can you say----a very long flight...=very
low level field

I agree....I think the field will be populated by those from the Reno-Tahoe tournament and those that fail to make the cut at the British Open.

gbrgolf
Jul 26, 2010, 09:17 AM
I totally agree that this is a tough date for the Canadian Open.... The PGA Tour is moving to a "flex" schedule and this should move events around from year to year. Haven't seen next years schedule, but I heard the Nelson and Colonial have been moved around.
Imagine the Canadian Open in Vancouver the week after the British, next year!! I think it works out to a 2 hour longer flight!!
Did you guys hear what happened at Reno? 30+ players pulled out and they didn't have enough alternates.... they had to shorten the field.... not enough players!!!

tarheel23
Jul 26, 2010, 09:44 AM
If most of you are the golf nuts that you claim to be then there had to be at least 2 or 3 guys there that you would like to watch. Unfortunately they did not all perform as we would like them to. Someone earlier stated that the sellers overstate the field & the detractors hate on it too much. I could not agree more.

Sure it would be great to have Tiger, Els, Michelson etc there, but that has not happened for years. We have the top tour in the world here with a lot of great young players to watch & all I see is a bunch of *****ing, whining & moaning. Why not get out there & support some of our own home grown players at least!

par72
Jul 26, 2010, 09:53 AM
Ok....and when there is only a Nationwide Tour event should we be lucky to be seeing professional golfers?

What if that goes away? Should we be going out and supporting the CPGA tour?

All pro golfers can play and are fun to watch. What you interpret as "*****ing" is actually golf fans lamenting that a once great tournament that Jack Nicklaus finished second in 7 times and never won has been relegated to 84 Lumber classic status. This is Toronto golf nuts....This is where people come to talk golf.

and BTW one day ticket here was $35 cheaper than a week long badge for the Players Championship....so that may have to do with it as well.

If most of you are the golf nuts that you claim to be then there had to be at least 2 or 3 guys there that you would like to watch. Unfortunately they did not all perform as we would like them to. Someone earlier stated that the sellers overstate the field & the detractors hate on it too much. I could not agree more.

Sure it would be great to have Tiger, Els, Michelson etc there, but that has not happened for years. We have the top tour in the world here with a lot of great young players to watch & all I see is a bunch of *****ing, whining & moaning. Why not get out there & support some of our own home grown players at least!

sobaka
Jul 26, 2010, 10:11 AM
Why do we cry into our Timmies every morning after every Can.Open for one reason or another?
What whining schmucks we are because our prom queen isn't from the cheerleader list. Pathetic.

Torontonians, are super INSECURE about themselves. Go out and support the event, and who cares if some of the high ranks are not here.. suck it up buttercup! Great support reflects on the city, and now you know why the Junior worlds, the Brier, all great events don't and never will be played in TO.
I also believe that like in tennis,players are given the ultimatum to show up at certain tourneys in a year.

tarheel23
Jul 26, 2010, 10:12 AM
Really people talk about golf here?

Thanks for that update.

I felt that the field was better this year & that the tourney is really trying to improve the field each year. There just seems to be too many haters here who just want to rag on the tourney.

You talk about the ticket prices. I have talked to others on these boards & we constantly see people paying big bucks for a new set of irons & then selling them 3 weeks later because they don't like them. I know this is a minority but still I will bet that any one of us has dropped more than that on a round many times. So i doubt that the ticket prices were really a problem. There seemed to be a fair number of cheap options on the boards here as well.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying this is the US Open here, but if more people are out supporting it maybe more players will come. The players I talked with all liked the course & the city. Hopefully more will come back and play again in the future. I know that next year in Vancouver will be a tough sell due to the distance, but Hamilton is on the slate for 2012.

We all need to vent here & there. I am just on the other side of the issue. I feel it is not the 84 Lumber Open at all. The more we run it down though & make it look third class the more likely that is to possibly happen.

Ok....and when there is only a Nationwide Tour event should we be lucky to be seeing professional golfers?

What if that goes away? Should we be going out and supporting the CPGA tour?

All pro golfers can play and are fun to watch. What you interpret as "*****ing" is actually golf fans lamenting that a once great tournament that Jack Nicklaus finished second in 7 times and never won has been relegated to 84 Lumber classic status. This is Toronto golf nuts....This is where people come to talk golf.

and BTW one day ticket here was $35 cheaper than a week long badge for the Players Championship....so that may have to do with it as well.

BowmanvilleJim
Jul 26, 2010, 10:29 AM
I love golf and I enjoy watching the pro's go at it BUT I feel that the field was lacking real star power.

I don't go out to "support" the pro's. they don't do jack for me when they win. I go to enjoy the competition AND see the TOP players in the game.

The logistics of the day have to be taken into consideration before I will actaully attend.

What is the distance I have to travel? Can I park on site or do I have to take a shuttle?
What is the price of admission? Who is in the field? What's the weather like?

If we just look at the money side you can see that the day quickly adds up.
I think $80 for a single day admission is stupid expensive. What did food and drink cost inside the gates? Probably too much. How much was parking? Im not spending that kind of money to watch 2 guys well outside the top 100 in the world.

Bern
Jul 26, 2010, 10:33 AM
I was there for 4 days, I managed to go first thing in the morning and then catch the evening golfers coming in on the work days and spent the whole days there on Saturday and Sunday. The quality of golf was anything but boring. When you see these guys throw darts at the pin from 130 yards on #6 it is mind boggling.

I suspect the big name golfers avoid tracks like this because it is not a bombers course and for all of the other scheduling related issues. The drive on 11 was unbelievable. The fairway they were hitting into was less than 30 yards wide. Could you imagine Phil at St Georges? He would have sore wrists from playing out of the rough all day.

I watched Chopra hit some amazing shots on Friday including draining a third shot from a bunker on 16 for par after chunking his drive and second shot.

Watching Kevn Na chip in at 15 was unbelievable, the excitement in the air was palpable when players were hitting there approaches. Seeing Barnes stripe the ball consistently over 300, watching Tim Clark nail 240 yard approaches within 15 feet. Peterson's charge birdying 6 out of 8 holes coming in boring???? Give your head a shake. Get off the couch and get to the course and there is no way you could call it anything but exciting.

If we as 'golf nuts' aren't in support of are own open what chance do we have of generating support from the general public?

BowmanvilleJim
Jul 26, 2010, 10:43 AM
Once again, no one is saying the players who where there can't play great golf but they are NOT the stars of the tour. I want to see the stars, not the guys who fill out the field.

Bentley01
Jul 26, 2010, 10:43 AM
While it would be great to see the top names in golf at the Canadian Open, it probably isn't going to happen, unless the date is permanently changed.

However, if you appreciate exceptional shot-making, you got it, even with the "lesser" lights. All of these guys are good, and no matter which ones show up, you are guaranteed that at least a few of them will make remarkable shots and put up very good scores. You're also guaranteed that virtually every player will have a spectacular swing. This year, you were guaranteed to see a beautiful, classic golf course - as lush and green as I have ever seen it.

Who cares if it is Pettersson and not Mickelson that shoots 60! During every tournament, any player on tour is capable of winning (except Mikey - KIDDING)!:D

Finally, it can hardly be a "yawn" when the winner outscores his opponent by 7 shots in the last 11 holes! :hyper:

Bern
Jul 26, 2010, 10:56 AM
While it would be great to see the top names in golf at the Canadian Open, it probably isn't going to happen, unless the date is permanently changed.

However, if you appreciate exceptional shot-making, you got it, even with the "lesser" lights. All of these guys are good, and no matter which ones show up, you are guaranteed that at least a few of them will make remarkable shots and put up very good scores. You're also guaranteed that virtually every player will have a spectacular swing. This year, you were guaranteed to see a beautiful, classic golf course - as lush and green as I have ever seen it.

Who cares if it is Pettersson and not Mickelson that shoots 60! During every tournament, any player on tour is capable of winning (except Mikey - KIDDING)!:D

Finally, it can hardly be a "yawn" when the winner outscores his opponent by 7 shots in the last 11 holes! :hyper:

Absolutely, it was spectacular to watch.

par72
Jul 26, 2010, 11:14 AM
Always fun to watch pros hit good shots at any level. I can tell you guys though I had a way better time at the LPGA last year then I did the PGA. The accesibility is amazing, the players care about the fans and I could follow 10 players that I knew pretty well. It was really cool following Paula Creamer and then Michelle Wie. Other than the Canadians, I can't think of more than a handful of guys I'd have said that about last week.

From my perspective, I still enjoy the Canadian Open a ton, but I feel like it's just way too much money to go watch a bunch of guys who aren't the top 20 in the world. I can go watch Adam Hadwin throw darts any week for a lot less money and support the Canadian tour which appreciated every ticket sale it gets!

Bentley01
Jul 26, 2010, 11:20 AM
Always fun to watch pros hit good shots at any level. I can tell you guys though I had a way better time at the LPGA last year then I did the PGA. The accesibility is amazing, the players care about the fans and I could follow 10 players that I knew pretty well. It was really cool following Paula Creamer and then Michelle Wie. Other than the Canadians, I can't think of more than a handful of guys I'd have said that about last week.

From my perspective, I still enjoy the Canadian Open a ton, but I feel like it's just way too much money to go watch a bunch of guys who aren't the top 20 in the world. I can go watch Adam Hadwin throw darts any week for a lot less money and support the Canadian tour which appreciated every ticket sale it gets!

Also, most amateurs will learn a lot more by watching the women play (except their short games). Their swing speeds are closer to amateur reality than the ones on the men's tour. You can learn a LOT about tempo!:p Just don't watch them chip.:nono:

sLuGo
Jul 26, 2010, 11:27 AM
Tempo!!!! We all know how important that is!

edit: Not sure how much Bentley01 can learn from anyones short game....

Bentley01
Jul 26, 2010, 11:29 AM
Tempo!!!! We all know how important that is!

edit: Not sure how much Bentley01 can learn from anyones short game....

I was lucky that day, and the sand was very similar to The National's, so I had a few good sand shots. It's not always like that!

But thank you for the compliment!

sLuGo
Jul 26, 2010, 11:32 AM
I liked the sand so much...i left a few shots in it!

I hope you dont come close to chipping in 10+ times a round often :D I'll feel horrible about myself!

I missed lots of the cdn open this year. I was offered to go Sunday, but i just didnt feel the urge. I spent the day trying to recover from a wedding skipping back and fourth betwen the open and Jersey shore...now that says something!

par72
Jul 26, 2010, 11:38 AM
HAHAHA it's so true...why can't women chip. In terms of tempo...you could not be more RIGHT(sorry Bentley). I went to see the women on the Thursday and played friday saturday and sunday in 4 under with 3 bogeys. If I find myself swinging too hard on the golf course I mark my ball P.C. so Every swing I think Paula Creamer....since her tempo is so slow and rythmic and she hits the ball miles past me. I find thinking about them always slows my swing down and I have better temp and contact.

Jersey shore...eh SLUGO..... Can we start calling Carl Pettersen "the situation' for those rock hard abs and dean wilson "sweetheart" for how he gave that tourney to pettersen

Also, most amateurs will learn a lot more by watching the women play (except their short games). Their swing speeds are closer to amateur reality than the ones on the men's tour. You can learn a LOT about tempo!:p Just don't watch them chip.:nono:

Albert Hacker
Jul 26, 2010, 11:39 AM
What was Louis Oostheizen world ranking prior to lapping the field of 'elite' players at the British? 291 or something like that?

But seeing guys like Nathan Green, Chez Reavie or Dean Wilson doesn't exactly get me excited.

So although I was kinda pulling for Dean Wilson, the critical side of me was hoping a better 'name' would win. And I think Carl Petterson was a very deserving winner, and that's now his 4th PGA win. So he has some credibility.

And again, if you go back to that post-round interview, at the 18th green with Carl Patterson, that guy was sincerely emotional. The Canadian Open certainly means something to him!

sLuGo
Jul 26, 2010, 11:46 AM
You are always thinking about paula...dont lie :D

Bentley01
Jul 26, 2010, 11:48 AM
It's pretty sad when we can't even get the guy's name right...

Carl Pettersson, not Patterson or Petterson. Clearly, not that well-known... yet.:D

What was Louis Oostheizen world ranking prior to lapping the field of 'elite' players at the British? 291 or something like that?

But seeing guys like Nathan Green, Chez Reavie or Dean Wilson doesn't exactly get me excited.

So although I was kinda pulling for Dean Wilson, the critical side of me was hoping a better 'name' would win. And I think Carl Petterson was a very deserving winner, and that's now his 4th PGA win. So he has some credibility.

And again, if you go back to that post-round interview, at the 18th green with Carl Patterson, that guy was sincerely emotional. The Canadian Open certainly means something to him!

Bentley01
Jul 26, 2010, 11:49 AM
I meant that we could learn a lot from watching the women swing! And for some of them, like Paula, I just feel good all over, too!:p

HAHAHA it's so true...why can't women chip. In terms of tempo...you could not be more wrong. I went to see the women on the Thursday and played friday saturday and sunday in 4 under with 3 bogeys. If I find myself swinging too hard on the golf course I mark my ball P.C. so Every swing I think Paula Creamer....since her tempo is so slow and rythmic and she hits the ball miles past me. I find thinking about them always slows my swing down and I have better temp and contact.

Jersey shore...eh SLUGO..... Can we start calling Carl Pettersen "the situation' for those rock hard abs and dean wilson "sweetheart" for how he gave that tourney to pettersen

BowmanvilleJim
Jul 26, 2010, 11:53 AM
Carl Pettersson ? really? I thought it was Carl Spackler. :D

Golden Bear
Jul 26, 2010, 11:54 AM
Personally, I was pleasantly surprised at the strength of the field. It's been several years since the Canadian Open field has been this strong. It was about the strength of a decent-ish PGA event ... which isn't all that bad. It's a huge fall from what the event once was, of course.

It would be tough for me to call the Canadian Open a "yawn." I thought there was some pretty good golf, and it's tough to find what Petterson did on the last two days boring. It doesn't matter to me how big the golfer's name is ... a 60 is a 60.

It seems to me that RBC has done a fantastic job of getting better venues for the tournament and bringing back some high profile players. That doesn't mean that there isn't work to do on the latter ... but this year's tournament felt like a big step in the right direction.

par72
Jul 26, 2010, 12:04 PM
WOW Bentley...I am an idiot! I meant to say you could not be more right!!!!!!!! Wow...I am so sorry dude, comment changed!

P.S. It's true....any excuse to think about Paula...

I meant that we could learn a lot from watching the women swing! And for some of them, like Paula, I just feel good all over, too!:p

jamesduncan
Jul 26, 2010, 12:33 PM
Once again, no one is saying the players who where there can't play great golf but they are NOT the stars of the tour. I want to see the stars, not the guys who fill out the field.

Ok. Go to a major.

Simple enough. Problem solved.

Moving on...

Nice event on the weekend. Great to see St George's in the rotation and it stood up nicely, despite easy scoring conditions all week.

Enjoyable weekend infront of the flat screen. Wanted to go out on Sat but the weather prevented.

par72
Jul 26, 2010, 12:37 PM
OR one of the 15 other tour stops that get Very Good-Great fields each year.

Guess we aren't allowed to remember when this Tournament was one of them.

Ok. Go to a major.

Simple enough. Problem solved.

Moving on...

Nice event on the weekend. Great to see St George's in the rotation and it stood up nicely, despite easy scoring conditions all week.

Enjoyable weekend infront of the flat screen. Wanted to go out on Sat but the weather prevented.