View Full Version : Villegas and Cobra, bye bye say hi to TM

Dano Twoface
Jul 26, 2010, 10:51 AM
reports are saying Camillo is looking to leave COBRA
and join the Taylormade team??!!!!!
not confirmed but sources seem to think it is done

that is a HUGE loss for COBRA.....
huge gain for TM
wonder how long before he stops wearing PUMA............................

Borbor
Jul 26, 2010, 10:55 AM
puma? the guy wears JL, not puma.

Big Shooter
Jul 26, 2010, 12:02 PM
huge gain for TM

How?
TM has many BIGGER names than CV!?
...but kinda ironic as he was at GT last week toutin' the Cobra line! :$

mpare
Jul 26, 2010, 12:14 PM
It's not surprising that he'd leave. Ever since Titleist (really Accushnet) stripped them of their tour caliber clubs, they have no irons that a tour player would want. Their best irons of a few years ago the Cobra Pro Forged CBs (which I have) and the MBs are but a distant memory.

reports are saying Camillo is looking to leave COBRA
and join the Taylormade team??!!!!!
not confirmed but sources seem to think it is done

that is a HUGE loss for COBRA.....
huge gain for TM
wonder how long before he stops wearing PUMA............................

Lefty17
Jul 26, 2010, 12:17 PM
Not surprising. Don't be surprised to see it being a bag and woods deal somewhat like Henrik Stenson has.

Dano Twoface
Jul 26, 2010, 06:33 PM
puma? the guy wears JL, not puma.

very correct
sorry had a brain fart

and BIGSHOOTER
I would think CV is still a big draw to have on their side
and would say YES huge gain for TM
cause of his age and his star power

NickStarchuk
Aug 2, 2010, 05:35 PM
Not surprising. Don't be surprised to see it being a bag and woods deal somewhat like Henrik Stenson has.

I heard it's a HEAD TO TOE deal

northernpro
Aug 2, 2010, 06:15 PM
CV figured it out..its about who has the most money at the end of the game.........:)

Bwadd
Aug 2, 2010, 07:05 PM
Not sure why he would not just switch to Titleist like Ogilvy and joing the likes of McIlroy....

NickStarchuk
Aug 2, 2010, 07:21 PM
Taylor Made and Adidas will make him their new poster boy.

Chriswalters0990
Aug 2, 2010, 07:50 PM
hmmm... CV was pretty huge for Cobra...
when i think Cobra, i think Camillo.. now who?

Pingeye2_fan
Aug 2, 2010, 07:57 PM
Taylor Made and Adidas will make him their new poster boy.

Could dress him up in some of that stuff they used to put Sergio in.

NickStarchuk
Aug 2, 2010, 08:23 PM

Jason Gore!

I think you'll see Cobra and Puma come out with some rebranding to get players into a gear/apparel combo deal.

The owners of Adidas and Puma are brothers so we may see a battle in the future.

Bellyhungry
Aug 2, 2010, 09:20 PM
Nike have Tiger.

Callaway have Phil and Ernie.

Who is the front man for Taylor Made?

Who is the front man for Titleist/Cobra?

Pingeye2_fan
Aug 2, 2010, 10:08 PM
Nike have Tiger.

Seems some companies would rather have a stable of good players than a superstar.

Borbor
Aug 2, 2010, 10:33 PM

Poults

ballerz
Aug 2, 2010, 11:39 PM
Nike have Tiger.

Titleist is team effort. Basically, if you are not Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson, the chances are you will use Titleist equipment. At the very least, you will be playing a ProV1. And in Tiger's case, he still won everything with a Scotty.

TaylorMade's main pitch man is Sergio! And Mike Weir in Canada! Natalie Gulbis features very prominently on their website.

jlewis
Aug 3, 2010, 08:32 AM

jb holmes

fresh
Aug 3, 2010, 01:24 PM
http://blogs.golf.com/equipment/2010/08/camilo-villegas-signs-deal-with-taylormade.html

"Villegas will use TaylorMade golf clubs, and as part of his agreement, he will carry them in a TaylorMade bag and use a TaylorMade ball next season too. He will also begin wearing Adidas golf shoes."

Bellyhungry
Aug 3, 2010, 08:29 PM
Would he continue to wear those fitted JL clothing?

WILL
Aug 3, 2010, 08:47 PM
Poults

Woot woot. :D

WILL
Aug 3, 2010, 08:48 PM
http://blogs.golf.com/equipment/2010/08/camilo-villegas-signs-deal-with-taylormade.html

"Villegas will use TaylorMade golf clubs, and as part of his agreement, he will carry them in a TaylorMade bag and use a TaylorMade ball next season too. He will also begin wearing Adidas golf shoes."

Thankfully not another ugly adidas staff bag. :hush:

Toughpar3
Aug 5, 2010, 01:04 PM
hmmm no wonder!! when I was chatting with him a couple weeks ago he said some things thats now making more sense. I was wearing some of Adidas' latest stuff and that probably swayed his decision :p

Bellyhungry
Aug 5, 2010, 09:32 PM
Acushnet is suing TaylorMade Adidas golf and Camillo:

http://blogs.golf.com/equipment/2010/08/acushnet-suing-taylormadeadidasgolf-camilo-villegas.html

NickStarchuk
Aug 9, 2010, 02:17 PM
Acushnet is suing TaylorMade Adidas golf and Camillo:

http://blogs.golf.com/equipment/2010/08/acushnet-suing-taylormadeadidasgolf-camilo-villegas.html

Cobra is suing now as well

Bravesox
Aug 9, 2010, 06:07 PM
after 2010, for now he has to play irons, driver and sport cobra bag and headcovers. I heard it's a HEAD TO TOE deal

woody
Aug 9, 2010, 07:56 PM
Cobra is suing now as well

tick tock

hogannut
Aug 9, 2010, 08:08 PM
Just another TM hat out there if it is true. There isn't a club that TM currently makes that even comes close to the S2 forged Cobra, so it will be Camillo's loss in terms of the equipment. However, interesting note......I hung out at a tee at the Canadian Open where I was right beside the ropes, and at least half of the TM bags had another iron in it.....mostly Mizuno. They were playing TM drivers, but not irons. Maybe that is because TM irons are crap.

Apparently a R9 forged head is coming for next year, but until that there isn't anything in TM's line up that is really of much interest to many of the tour pro's.

gbrgolf
Aug 9, 2010, 08:52 PM
From what i heard the TaylorMade deal was for CV to be the spokes person for the Burner line and to carry a Burner Bag and Burner logos. He was to receive a a yearly fee + a big bonus structure based on sales of Burner products.

gbrgolf
Aug 9, 2010, 09:02 PM
Just another TM hat out there if it is true. There isn't a club that TM currently makes that even comes close to the S2 forged Cobra, so it will be Camillo's loss in terms of the equipment. However, interesting note......I hung out at a tee at the Canadian Open where I was right beside the ropes, and at least half of the TM bags had another iron in it.....mostly Mizuno. They were playing TM drivers, but not irons. Maybe that is because TM irons are crap.

Apparently a R9 forged head is coming for next year, but until that there isn't anything in TM's line up that is really of much interest to many of the tour pro's.

Hey Hogannut,
I think your comment may be a little exaggerated. Amazingly TM continues to maintain the #2 position in the iron count virtually every week. This is in spite of the fact that TM has not offered a forged iron in years.
As for comparisons with other companies clubs, it think that is purely subjective. I know a least a couple of TM guys who are using Titleist that are looking forward to the new TM forged irons due out next season.
g

P25
Aug 9, 2010, 09:05 PM
Hey Hogannut,
I think your comment may be a little exaggerated. Amazingly TM continues to maintain the #2 position in the iron count virtually every week. This is in spite of the fact that TM has not offered a forged iron in years.
As for comparisons with other companies clubs, it think that is purely subjective. I know a least a couple of TM guys who are using Titleist that are looking forward to the new TM forged irons due out next season.
g

ahhh...the voice of reason.

Love the Accra line BTW :)