PDA

View Full Version : MDF

shaker1
Jul 26, 2010, 03:45 PM
What does MDF stand for? I see that 5 players didn't finish ( or play ) the last round at the Canadian open. Not a very class act if you ask me

par72
Jul 26, 2010, 03:48 PM
Missed cut but didnt finish. They do this If too many make the cut to play the weekend. These guys get paid last place moneys.

shaker1
Jul 26, 2010, 03:53 PM
Missed cut but didnt finish. They do this If too many make the cut to play the weekend. These guys get paid last place moneys.
I understand missed cut ..did not finish, but it wasn't because they had too many for the weekend. All 5 played the 3rd round but not Sunday

par72
Jul 26, 2010, 03:54 PM
Hmm...then I am lost LOL:rofl:

I understand missed cut ..did not finish, but it wasn't because they had too many for the weekend. All 5 played the 3rd round but not Sunday

wlorcb
Jul 26, 2010, 04:16 PM

That's exactly what happens.

They have the regular cut on Friday and then they make another cut after Saturday(they did this last year too). It was to make the finish on Sunday more manageable. The players "cut" on Saturday don't play, but get last place money and Fedex points. There was a bit of squawking about it last year as there are times when a guy near the bottom can shoot lights out on Sunday and win or place very high.

But TV wants to make sure that they can finish or try to finish by 6 on Sundays.

*note USGA, Masters, PGA, Open tournaments are exempt from having to do this

Big Shooter
Jul 26, 2010, 04:22 PM
There was a bit of squawking about it last year as there are times when a guy near the bottom can shoot lights out on Sunday and win or place very high.

...not unlike the guy who Won yesterday, except he came from the cut-line to the top in 2 days!
...I think it's a Bad idea.

shaker1
Jul 26, 2010, 04:45 PM
That's exactly what happens.

But TV wants to make sure that they can finish or try to finish by 6 on Sundays.

*note USGA, Masters, PGA, Open tournaments are exempt from having to do this
It's always about TV isn't it?:(

Bentley01
Jul 26, 2010, 04:53 PM
I believe it had something to do with speeding up play. The guys near the bottom will be looking for balls all day long. Eventually, it will back up the entire course, and the leaders will be waiting to hit far too much.

(this is partly true. They want to get a pretty good estimate of the finishing time on Sunday. More players on the course = less accurate prediction).

Before anyone tries to argue with my point, above, I meant it entirely in jest. Of course the "worst" golfers of the bunch won't be looking for their balls! Good God, man. These guys are Good!

AverageJoe
Jul 26, 2010, 04:54 PM
It means you are dying of hunger :D

wlorcb
Jul 26, 2010, 11:33 PM
I believe it had something to do with speeding up play. The guys near the bottom will be looking for balls all day long. Eventually, it will back up the entire course, and the leaders will be waiting to hit far too much.

(this is partly true. They want to get a pretty good estimate of the finishing time on Sunday. More players on the course = less accurate prediction).

Before anyone tries to argue with my point, above, I meant it entirely in jest. Of course the "worst" golfers of the bunch won't be looking for their balls! Good God, man. These guys are Good!

They never look for their balls anyway. They have dozens of marshals and volunteers and patrons to help look, unlike the rest of us:)