PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone permissible at Wyndham Championship

Bellyhungry
Jul 27, 2010, 08:16 PM
From AP.....

Wyndham Championship now cell-phone friendly

By JOEDY McCREARY (AP)

GREENSBORO, N.C. — Fans will be able to bring their cell phones on the course at next month's Wyndham Championship.

Defending champion Ryan Moore hopes to give them something to talk and text about.

Tournament officials said Tuesday that they would allow fans to use mobile phones at Sedgefield Country Club — as long as the devices are kept in silent mode and calls are made only in designated areas around the course. Also, fans won't be allowed to take pictures or video during the four competitive rounds.

Director Mark Brazil says it's "kind of the guinea pig tournament" because cell phones have long been a no-no on the PGA Tour.

After joking that he might send some text messages from the course, Moore said he expects fans to use their phones responsibly.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

More at http://www.pgatour.com/2010/tournaments/r013/07/27/cell-phones-wyndham/index.html

Bluefan75
Jul 27, 2010, 09:29 PM
This is not going to end well.....

Oakbridge
Jul 27, 2010, 10:26 PM
Why not?

I snuck my iPhone into St. George's last week. It was handy to load up the PGA Tour app to see how other players were doing when I wasn't near a scoreboard. A couple of us discussed whether they would allow an iPad past security. As designed, it can't make a phone call and if you could pick up one of the streaming sites, it would be great to watch video in between groups.

Maybe I'm different but my phone is always in vibrate mode and in a case or in my pocket so it is very quiet, even when it is vibrating. I can't understand why people need to have their ringers turned on, and up loud.

I hope that it works out and that future Canadian Opens will also be cell phone friendly.

Leftygolfer30
Jul 27, 2010, 10:50 PM
Why not?

I snuck my iPhone into St. George's last week. It was handy to load up the PGA Tour app to see how other players were doing when I wasn't near a scoreboard. A couple of us discussed whether they would allow an iPad past security. As designed, it can't make a phone call and if you could pick up one of the streaming sites, it would be great to watch video in between groups.

Maybe I'm different but my phone is always in vibrate mode and in a case or in my pocket so it is very quiet, even when it is vibrating. I can't understand why people need to have their ringers turned on, and up loud.

I hope that it works out and that future Canadian Opens will also be cell phone friendly.

Because some people work around loud equipment likes drills and saws all day long... ;)

Oakbridge
Jul 28, 2010, 01:29 AM
Because some people work around loud equipment likes drills and saws all day long... ;)
Well that makes perfect sense. I was referring to those people who are in quieter places.

But shouldn't the people who work near drills and saws all day let their calls go to voicemail and pick up their messages when the power tools are turned off?

Golden Bear
Jul 28, 2010, 11:29 AM
I need mine on full volume whenever I'm outdoors. The "normal" volume is too hard to hear. At work it's on vibrate, because I can hear the vibration at home it's on normal ... but as soon as I go outside it's turned up loud, so if I end up in a restaurant or coffee shop it's going to be pretty damn loud there, unless I remember to switch the setting.

Vibrate is okay if you carry your phone in your pocket. Personally, I won't keep a cellphone so close to the little swimmers down there.

Leftygolfer30
Jul 28, 2010, 12:53 PM
Well that makes perfect sense. I was referring to those people who are in quieter places.

But shouldn't the people who work near drills and saws all day let their calls go to voicemail and pick up their messages when the power tools are turned off?

Not always - if they run their own business answering the phone can be critical at times. :D

55plymouth
Jul 28, 2010, 12:59 PM
Vibrate is okay if you carry your phone in your pocket. Personally, I won't keep a cellphone so close to the little swimmers down there.

You must be younger person, personally I have enough kids so if the swimmers don.t work it's a bonus.

Oakbridge
Jul 28, 2010, 01:03 PM
You must be younger person, personally I have enough kids so if the swimmers don.t work it's a bonus.
Damn that made me laugh.

Golden Bear
Jul 28, 2010, 01:03 PM
You must be younger person, personally I have enough kids so if the swimmers don.t work it's a bonus.I'm not that young -- I'm in my forties. But it's nice to know that even if you don't want to use your gun to shoot anyone, the bullets still work.

Wait, that might be a dark analogy ...

Oakbridge
Jul 28, 2010, 01:16 PM
Not always - if they run their own business answering the phone can be critical at times. :D
I run my own business. Perhaps I look at things from a different perspective, but to me, it is more important to complete the thing that I'm working on at that moment, rather than stop what I'm doing, take the call, and then get back to what I was working on before.

I think that there has been this feeling with cell phones that you need to put your life on hold whenever you hear it ringing. That's what voicemail was invented for. And call display so even if someone doesn't leave you a message, you can call them back to see what they needed.

It's also about managing your customers. Mine know that I could be in the middle of a training session, or working on a client's problem. Just as they wouldn't want me to stop in the middle of training them, or working on their problem to take a call from another client.

There is nothing that drives me nuts more than when you're in the middle of a conversation with someone, and their phone rings, and they feel that they can ignore you to talk to someone else. It's like they are saying "you're not really important enough".

I guess because of my age (51), I remember what it was like before we had cell phones and email. And we survived in business quite fine.

Leftygolfer30
Jul 28, 2010, 01:32 PM
I run my own business. Perhaps I look at things from a different perspective, but to me, it is more important to complete the thing that I'm working on at that moment, rather than stop what I'm doing, take the call, and then get back to what I was working on before.

I think that there has been this feeling with cell phones that you need to put your life on hold whenever you hear it ringing. That's what voicemail was invented for. And call display so even if someone doesn't leave you a message, you can call them back to see what they needed.

It's also about managing your customers. Mine know that I could be in the middle of a training session, or working on a client's problem. Just as they wouldn't want me to stop in the middle of training them, or working on their problem to take a call from another client.

There is nothing that drives me nuts more than when you're in the middle of a conversation with someone, and their phone rings, and they feel that they can ignore you to talk to someone else. It's like they are saying "you're not really important enough".

I guess because of my age (51), I remember what it was like before we had cell phones and email. And we survived in business quite fine.

I agree with all your points.

I don't necessarily stop work to answer the phone and I never interrupt a conversation with any customer for a phone call.

This vein of the thread started by discussing why people have their phone ringers on loud. I have mine on loud so that I can hear it ring. I then decide if I can first look to see who is calling (Caller ID) and then answer it if it is safe to do so and if it is a call I need to answer.

Having the ringer on loud allows me the time to hear it and make a decision accordingly.

FYI, if I'm on the golf course, in a restaurant or a movie theatre, etc. my phone is always on vibrate.

ace in the hazard
Jul 28, 2010, 01:49 PM
But it's nice to know that even if you don't want to use your gun to hunt beaver, the bullets still work.

Fixed it for you :D

SuperFly TNT
Jul 28, 2010, 01:53 PM
People carrying cell phones into events is pretty hard to police, so relaxing the rules somewhat seems to be a practical compromise. I can see the furor once someone leaves their phone on ring and it goes off at an inapproriate moment. I think there the potential for plenty of moments like Morgan Pressel's F-bomb last week...

P25
Jul 28, 2010, 01:54 PM
People carrying cell phones into events is pretty hard to police, so relaxing the rules somewhat seems to be a practical compromise. I can see the furor once someone leaves their phone on ring and it goes off at an inapproriate moment. I think there the potential for plenty of moments like Morgan Pressel's F-bomb last week...

This is the problem - it only takes one.....

golfer437
Jul 28, 2010, 04:01 PM
I am a little confused. Did any business get before 1990? or whatever year cell phones started. Biggest waste of time ever. I watched 2 young men playing golf the other day and both were on the phone text messaging? Aren't phones for talking???? Sad, very sad......I don't have one and won't have one, I refuse to waste money on a think that I concider a leash.......

Oakbridge
Jul 28, 2010, 04:39 PM
I am a little confused. Did any business get before 1990? or whatever year cell phones started. Biggest waste of time ever. I watched 2 young men playing golf the other day and both were on the phone text messaging? Aren't phones for talking???? Sad, very sad......I don't have one and won't have one, I refuse to waste money on a think that I concider a leash.......
I disagree on the leash. Used properly, they can be a wonderful device to help with communicating with others.

I do agree on the improper use of phones on the golf course.

If you can't be unreachable for 4 - 4 1/2 hours, then you shouldn't be playing. Nothing against checking messages at the turn but remember how sound can carry in open spaces. I don't want to be on the next fairway listening to your conversation.

The trouble is that some people think that they must answer every call, email, and text message within minutes of it arriving or the world will end. Once they start doing that, they create an expectation. But if you think about it, how did any of us learn the proper methods for using these tools?

I learned how to answer the phone from my parents (both worked for Bell Canada) and was taught the little things. If you call someone, introduce yourself as soon as they answer. If someone calls you, never offer your name unless they identify themselves first.

Heck my Dad would even wait until the 3rd ring, even if he was sitting right beside the phone. But voice mail was something that he could never get comfortable using. Probably because it was a technology that became popular after he was retired.

Perhaps schools should be teaching our kids how to use some of the technology and some of the etiquette.

crunch27
Jul 28, 2010, 04:52 PM
Why not?

I think I'm the only one who left their cell phone in their car at the Open.

I couldn't believe the numbers of people who had their phones with them, calling, texting, check the internet and taking pictures. Some people even had small cameras with them taking pictures of all the action on Sunday. :nono:

Rules, rules, rules.....who needs them. :mad:

golfer437
Jul 28, 2010, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=Oakbridge;640058] Used properly, they can be a wonderful device to help with communicating with others.

They probably are, but I like to talk to people face to face. I screen all my calls to my home phone too. If I don't know the name, leave a message and if I don't feel like talking on the phone, leave a message. I go out of my house so I don't have to talk on the phone. Cell phones are what they are and I don't plan on buying one any time soon....I will have to some day, but I am holding out for as long as possible....

bumpnrun
Jul 28, 2010, 08:18 PM
If you can't be unreachable for 4 - 4 1/2 hours, then you shouldn't be playing.

Then I would rarely be able to golf...:hyper:

I have my ringer on silent and most times in the bag. I will check emails every three holes or so, unless there is a fire that needs putting out, in which case I try to fix it as quick as possible, instead of dragging it out, or pissing someone off for being non-responsive. I know it can be annoying and I try to avoid being intrusive about it.

That said, I also remember life before blackberries. I remember not being able to golf because there was a chance I'd miss an important call at the office.

I remember having to be in the office on the weekend for stuff I can now deal with between holes.

bumpnrun
Jul 28, 2010, 08:24 PM

And over 100 years ago, you'd probably be extolling the virtues of the "featherie" over the newfangled "gutta percha";)

Bellyhungry
Jul 28, 2010, 08:47 PM
Cell phone at golf tournament is like smoking in a gas station, nothing good can come out of it.

Chambokl
Jul 28, 2010, 09:51 PM
Perhaps schools should be teaching our kids how to use some of the technology and some of the etiquette.

You are 100% right... the problem is instead of teaching how to use them they are banned from schools... even though they have the most powerful graphic calculator... I am a teacher and I don't have a phone but can easily recognize the beauty of cell phone (even though they are more like powerful computer)....

In Japan, they are testing an apps where your phone would have a program that would communicate to your car and would let you start the car... no need for fancy keys... just like the keys of a BMW and others act now... when you get close door unlock, seats adjust by itself and press the button to start the car.

If people think they will be able to live without a cell phone they might be surprise what is coming...:)