X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going really low Alabama junior event

57!!!

incredible on a 6,600 yard + course

Find all the latest Golf news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

Re: Going really low Alabama junior event

A Chat With Mr. 57

By HAYDEN ECHOLS
    GolfChannel.com Team
    Posted: July 30, 2010
    In golf, 59s are magical, 58s are untouchable, and 57s, well, are unthinkable.

Bobby Wyatt, 17, of Mobile, Ala. rolled out of bed July 28 for what was supposed to be another ordinary day of golf. It was Day 2 of the Alabama Boys State Junior Championship.

Before leaving for the course that morning he already had two things working for him:

1. The state junior was being played at his home course, the Country Club of Mobile. So instead of a cold croissant from the Days Inn breakfast buffet line that many of his playing competitors were fueling up on, Wyatt was being treated to a hot, homemade breakfast.

2. He was wearing Superman’s underwear.

The jury is still out if he somehow managed to hijack Superman’s underwear for the day but he had to have.

Once he arrived to the golf course, the next six hours were bland – if you throw out the fact that Wyatt went on to shoot a 57.

Yes, a 57. The future Alabama Crimson Tide star shot 26 on the front nine and followed it with a 31 on the back. Which was more impressive? 57 or 26? After seeing the 26, the 31 felt like he may have missed some opportunities to go lower.

“I actually did let a few get away,” Wyatt said laughing. “I missed a 10-footer for birdie on 14, and a 12-footer for birdie on the last hole.”

The last time I shot 57, I was 8-years-old and shot the magical number on the front 9 of Boscobell Golf Club in Pendleton, S.C. If I was on the 18th tee at 14 under my swing thought would be: “Don’t make triple.”

As Wyatt approached the 18th tee on the par-71, 6,628-yard course he knew exactly what he was doing.

“I was trying to keep it like I did the entire round,” Wyatt said. “Take it one shot at a time. I was playing on my home course, so I had hit that shot a million times.”

Wyatt’s attempt at 56 burned the lip on No. 18 and he tapped in for 57 and immortality.

Over the past two days, Wyatt, the No. 2 ranked junior golfer in the world, is on Cloud 9. He’s where Mick Jagger and the Stones were in the ‘70s, where Michael Jackson was in the 80s and where the Backstreet Boys were in the late ‘90s. Ok, maybe not, but one round of golf has catapulted Wyatt into rock star status.

“It’s a little surreal to be honest. My phone has just been blowing up. I’m really lucky,” said Wyatt.

Following his 57, Wyatt shot a final-round 70 Thursday to cruise to his record fourth consecutive state title.

“It’s not going to change my expectations,” said Wyatt. “It gives me confidence. It lets me know that I’m never out of a tournament even if I’m trailing by a lot heading into the final round.”

Shooting an unthinkable 57 will tend to do that.

Comment

Re: Going really low Alabama junior event

That's ridiculous....what kind of bum missed a 12 footer on 18?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
      X