Collapse

Definition of choking

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definition of choking

Trying to do something that you already know how to do.

Re: Definition of choking

Failing to do something you already know how to do.

I tried to hit my 3 wood well today... and I did.
    I tried to hit my 7 iron well today... and I choked (something about hitting a green in regulation) .
    In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
    and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

Fred, I like your words better. Can I borrow them or have you TM'd them?

Comment

I have a lock on the choking thing, but no TM on the phrase. Hmm... I'm doing something wrong here.
        In The Bag

Golf clubs

Comment

Failing to execute the familiar because of fear. This concept I know only too well.
          This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by Fredk View Post
            Failing to do something you already know how to do.

Failing to execute due to perceived pressure.
            Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

Is this thread referring to my short game ?

Comment

Originally posted by NickStarchuk View Post
                Trying to do something that you already know how to do.
                Allowing conscious thoughts to block the superior performance of our nonconscious swing habits.

The conscious mind does not deliver. It only calls in the order. Deliveryis the business of the nonconscious and it does not judge the commands you give it. It only acts on the commands. And don’t forget: you will only be able to retrieve what you have installed.

We know now from science outside of golf that trying to execute a motor movement by using conscious mental process actually introduces blockers to and inhibits said execution. It's best to leave these to the unconscious part of our system for optimal performance.
                Last edited by Shadow; Nov 12, 2010, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
                  Allowing conscious thoughts to block the superior performance of our nonconscious swing habits.

The conscious mind does not deliver. It only calls in the order. Deliveryis the business of the nonconscious and it does not judge the commands you give it. It only acts on the commands. And don’t forget: you will only be able to retrieve what you have installed.

We know now from science outside of golf that trying to execute a motor movement by using conscious mental process actually introduces blockers to and inhibits said execution. It's best to leave these to the unconscious part of our system for optimal performance.
                  Very, very, very true.

The conscious mind gets in the way, because we don't trust the unconscious mind to do what it knows how to do. Try walking down a flight of steep stairs while thinking about HOW to walk down them (hold on to the rail).

When a pressure situation arises, we trust less in our abilities and try to consciously figure out what to do. It almost never works = choke.

When you try to make a swing change and you haven't quite perfected it, you will choke a LOT.
                  Driver: Ping 10*
                  Wood: Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood
                  Irons: Accuform PTM (3 - PW)
                  Hybrid: TaylorMade 3 (OUT - had enough, make me an offer)
                  Wedges: Cleveland 54* & 60*, TaylorMade 52*
                  Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Two "The Art of Putting"
                  Bag: Ogio Ultra light
                  Balls: Pro v1 / TaylorMade Red

Comment

Malcolm gladwell wrote a wonderful article on the difference between choking and panic

enjoy

A Dream, a Temptation, and the Longest Night of the Second World War THE BOMBER MAFIA Malcolm Gladwell’s exploration of how technology and best intentions collide in the heat of war Learn More Buy …

Comment

Originally posted by coshea View Post
                      Malcolm gladwell wrote a wonderful article on the difference between choking and panic

enjoy

http://www.gladwell.com/2000/2000_08_21_a_choking.htm
                      Great read, thank you.

I need the follow up article though - 5 easily learned-and-applied steps to overcoming choking and panic.
                      Everybody wants a slice of winner - dekker

Comment

Actually, the Thread may aim to define it as we all know what it is but cannot agree on how to articulate it...

- RB.
                        ________
                        EASY VAPE VAPORIZER
                        Last edited by RiskyBusiness; Feb 21, 2011, 02:11 AM.

Comment

I personally do not like the word choke. No one tries to choke. I understand what it means, that due to pressure that they fail to execute.

A golfer that has no worse than a par for the last two rounds of a tournament and on the last two holes gets a bogey and a double, did they choke, or did the odds of golf finally catch up to them? Did they try and do something to win and just fail to do it because it was a higher risk shot.

Pressure certainly can affect a golfer, some positive and some negative, but if is negative, did they choke?

Jim F's last win, he was losing strokes on the final holes and he made a great bunker shot to pull it off. Was he choking and all of sudden he didn't? I was cheering for him, simply because I did not want someone to say boy he really choked.

Maybe I don't like the word because it is so negative and I would prefer a term that is more constructive.

I personally in the past have responded well to pressure, but in a round with Freddielinkster this coming week, if I blow a shot on the final hole to "win" the round, did I choke, or did I just make a bad shot that I am capable of at anytime.
                          Sometimes starting at the end, is the key to finding the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by PingGolfer View Post
                            Is this thread referring to my short game ?
                            No, it's referring to my game in general

Comment

I think choking is actually a two fold issue: one is the over thinking, the other is anxiety. Anxiety leads to abnormal tension in your muscles and that leads to negative swing changes.

It is the extra emotion of anxiety that really defines choking.
                              In The Bag

Golf clubs

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X