Collapse

Harrington DQ'd

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harrington DQ'd

Apparently moved his ball while removing the marker and did not count the two stroke penalty and signed an incorrect scorecard http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/gol...mpionship.html

Re: Harrington DQ'd

Saints preserve us from these dark days.
    God would have just taken away his Guinness and made him drink Pabst for the duration.

Comment

The real issue with this is that the penalty was issued AFTER the round. To me, when he signed his card after the round the score was correct. Maybe he desreves the 2 stroke penalty but not the DQ. Sometimes the rules of golf get in the way of themselves.

Comment

What a shame. Best I've seen him swinging the club for a couple of years now.

Comment

This is an example of the rules going haywire.

Harrington was UNABLE to see the ball move, "with the naked eye". Yet, he was given the penalty, because a TV, SLOW MOTION replay found that his ball moved 3 dimples forward AND 1.5 dimples back (undetectable without the slo-mo). Harrington, rightly, honestly did not see the ball move away from its original spot. No one else caught it either.

When they formulated the rules, there is NO WAY they meant microscopic movements. One of the key components of the rules of golf is that the player is expected to honestly call penalties upon him/herself. If you cannot see infractions without a high-powered telescope, it didn't happen. If you don't agree, just wait until technology improves again. Just wait until they can PROVE that every single player misplaces his ball after marking. NASA-nerd, golf couch potatoes will now have full time jobs spotting 1 millimetre misplacements and speed-dialing the Tour official rules infraction hotline (if they can get through). Madness, I tell you.

I say couch potatoes, like the one that called this one in, should have someone stomp on their bags of chips and shake their cans of Coke (or Corona).
          Driver: Ping 10*
          Wood: Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood
          Irons: Accuform PTM (3 - PW)
          Hybrid: TaylorMade 3 (OUT - had enough, make me an offer)
          Wedges: Cleveland 54* & 60*, TaylorMade 52*
          Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Two "The Art of Putting"
          Bag: Ogio Ultra light
          Balls: Pro v1 / TaylorMade Red

Comment

I agree with Bentley...
            I don't think that they should have used slow motion replay to determine this. They should have simply used a regular speed replay to see what Padraig would have seen at the time.
            If they cannot detect any motion in regular speed and only through slo-mo, then how could the golfer possibly be expected to notice that it moved at all?

Comment

Paddy was stellar in his interview:

http://www.europeantour.com/european...id=133215.html

But at the end of the day, it's not people calling in that annoys me - in this case it was slow motion that was used to determine the infringement. S l o w-M o t i o n

How about we put slo-mo on every 'b' player that grounds his club right behind the ball in the rough to flatten it before stepping in to his shot. If you can show lie improvement then DQ them. That is rife in the game (KP even has it on video on youtube) yet never gets called.
              Slow motion? Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Bh-ZVAz48

Side Bar: Does Paddy have one of the best walks in the game? Man looks like he has somewhere to be NOW! GET OUT OF MY WAY!. He'll win again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bentley01 View Post
                This is an example of the rules going haywire.

Harrington was UNABLE to see the ball move, "with the naked eye". Yet, he was given the penalty, because a TV, SLOW MOTION replay found that his ball moved 3 dimples forward AND 1.5 dimples back (undetectable without the slo-mo). Harrington, rightly, honestly did not see the ball move away from its original spot. No one else caught it either.

When they formulated the rules, there is NO WAY they meant microscopic movements. One of the key components of the rules of golf is that the player is expected to honestly call penalties upon him/herself. If you cannot see infractions without a high-powered telescope, it didn't happen. If you don't agree, just wait until technology improves again. Just wait until they can PROVE that every single player misplaces his ball after marking. NASA-nerd, golf couch potatoes will now have full time jobs spotting 1 millimetre misplacements and speed-dialing the Tour official rules infraction hotline (if they can get through). Madness, I tell you.

I say couch potatoes, like the one that called this one in, should have someone stomp on their bags of chips and shake their cans of Coke (or Corona).
                Excuses, excuses, excuses.

It was clear as day once you watched the video a few times in high def and slow motion that his ball moved.

People (note, I will not use the term "golfer", as you have proven yourself unworthy of it) like you just don't get it.

Until cheaters like Paddy, Villegas and Johnston are removed permanently from the game, I won't bother to watch it. There's just no point, what with all the deception (which should be a feature of the course, not the player) and such.

I'd also like to see that Nicklaus fellow removed from the golf hall of fame, as he's revealed himself to be not much more than a trouble-maker who shows no respect for the rules, history or integrity of the game.
                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                ...Iggy

Comment

WHOA...you can only see it in slow-mo? I read the ESPN news and they didn't mention that.

I totally agree, if you can't see it with a naked eye then there should be no infraction. The rules were not made with technology in mind.

Villegas DQ...I somehow agree...but this one? Nope...worse case should just add the penalty strokes but not DQ him...

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                    Excuses, excuses, excuses.

It was clear as day once you watched the video a few times in high def and slow motion that his ball moved.

People (note, I will not use the term "golfer", as you have proven yourself unworthy of it) like you just don't get it.

Until cheaters like Paddy, Villegas and Johnston are removed permanently from the game, I won't bother to watch it. There's just no point, what with all the deception (which should be a feature of the course, not the player) and such.

I'd also like to see that Nicklaus fellow removed from the golf hall of fame, as he's revealed himself to be not much more than a trouble-maker who shows no respect for the rules, history or integrity of the game.
                    FINALLY, something you wrote that I can agree with!

Other than that, can I get you another bag of chips? Coke?

It's just no fun watching golf on a non-HDTV. You never know what's going on. A player could be making a great shot and it means nothing, because he's already made a horrendous blunder that will DQ him from the tournament. We might as well watch them hit shots on the range for three hours! There, the only rule is to be courteous to your fellow golfers!

[As long as you're not a midget or a basketball player, I believe we see eye to eye on a lot of things.]
                    Driver: Ping 10*
                    Wood: Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood
                    Irons: Accuform PTM (3 - PW)
                    Hybrid: TaylorMade 3 (OUT - had enough, make me an offer)
                    Wedges: Cleveland 54* & 60*, TaylorMade 52*
                    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Two "The Art of Putting"
                    Bag: Ogio Ultra light
                    Balls: Pro v1 / TaylorMade Red

Comment

I think Harrington should take this to the Supreme Court of Abu Dhabi/United Arab Emirates and see what the Sharia Law have to say in this matter.

Comment

I am thinking the DQ angle needs to be changed - I still don't understand how you can be DQ'd for signing a card that then changes is strange to me and I think this is driven from a time when such technology and viewer activity was not relevant. I think a penalty is warranted, but not DQ, just some strokes and enough strokes, say 4, to ensure that such activities are not covertly encouraged if not caught.

I think that the current plethora of DQs and call-ins will result in player taking a hyper cautious approach which will result in many reviews and clarifications and no one will win from that.

Me, I try to play by the rules and sometimes manage to do so, but I cannot imagine trying to play under that kind of scrutiny. Next thing you will see overlays on the screen showing ball marking before and after and high def etc Ignatius Reilly will have his way and "all those cheaters" will be caught red handed ;-)

Just my 2 strokes, er 2 cents :-)

Titleist Bags
                        Ping G15 Driver 10.5
                        Ping G25 3 Wood 15
                        Ping G25 Hybrid 20
                        Ping G25 Hybrid 23
                        Ping I25 4-PW Steel
                        Titleist SM4 50/54/58 Degree
                        Scotty Cameron Tel3 OR
                        Ping Anser (Original)
                        Bushnell Z6

Comment

IanJamesPoulter

Rules of Golf Book Rule 22-4 paragraph 3 line 7, "the rules of golf are complete bollocks and are stuck back in 1932". Couldn't agree more

Comment

Originally posted by Bentley01 View Post
                            FINALLY, something you wrote that I can agree with!

Other than that, can I get you another bag of chips? Coke?

It's just no fun watching golf on a non-HDTV. You never know what's going on. A player could be making a great shot and it means nothing, because he's already made a horrendous blunder that will DQ him from the tournament. We might as well watch them hit shots on the range for three hours! There, the only rule is to be courteous to your fellow golfers!

[As long as you're not a midget or a basketball player, I believe we see eye to eye on a lot of things.]
                            We agreed on something? I must have been unclear in my writing...

To be serious for moment - I do think the Tour(s) need to reconsider how they approach tv callers. From the article, they are at least beginning to think about it
                            The business of applying the sanction of disqualification on top of the penalty in cases where breaches are not detectable by the eye is now under review.

But they really need to go further, or professional golf on tv will become as you described. No point watching all the good shots, because you will have no idea who's in the lead or who's going to be DQ'd tomorrow. I considered PVRing everything, then watching it all in slo-mo, but watching Paddy in slo-mo seems... redundant.

And no, not coke and not Corona (aka Mexican Pepsi), but a Creemore would be nice with the chips.

And no, I'm not Muggsy Bogues
                            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                            ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                              I think Harrington should take this to the Supreme Court of Abu Dhabi/United Arab Emirates and see what the Sharia Law have to say in this matter.
                              I think the penalty is one finger, which means he could still play golf reasonably well. As long as it's not the thumb.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X