Collapse

Your thought on par 5s in tour tourneys

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thought on par 5s in tour tourneys

I have noticed in recent time that many of the par 5s on tour that are either too long or have too much trouble in the driver landing zone that many players have elected to hit a long iron or fairway wood off the tee, thus eliminating the opportunity to go for the green with their second shots.

I think a good par 5 should afford 20-50% of the players in the field to try to get on the green in 2 rather than making it an easy decision for the players to lay up.

Thoughts?

Re: Your thought on par 5s in tour tourneys

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
    I have noticed in recent time that many of the par 5s on tour that are either too long or have too much trouble in the driver landing zone that many players have elected to hit a long iron or fairway wood off the tee, thus eliminating the opportunity to go for the green with their second shots.

I think a good par 5 should afford 20-50% of the players in the field to try to get on the green in 2 rather than making it an easy decision for the players to lay up.

Thoughts?

While it's always fun to see it when they do get on in 2, IMHO that isn't the way par 5s are supposed to be played. They're three shot holes. Sometimes, with the right strategy (risk/reward) and good shots, the player should be able to get on in two, but it shouldn't be very often.

On the Tour, almost every player has the chance to get onto a few of the par 5s (week in, week out). On Tour, when almost everyone can hit a par 5 in two, it's a par 4, really. It also pisses me off when they're hitting short irons into par 5s for their second shots.

When the course puts a lot of trouble off the tee...it's just asking the player to think through his/her strategy. That's not a good thing?
    Driver: Ping 10*
    Wood: Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood
    Irons: Accuform PTM (3 - PW)
    Hybrid: TaylorMade 3 (OUT - had enough, make me an offer)
    Wedges: Cleveland 54* & 60*, TaylorMade 52*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Two "The Art of Putting"
    Bag: Ogio Ultra light
    Balls: Pro v1 / TaylorMade Red

Comment

I thoroughly enjoy having to "think" my way around the course. Having almost the entire field reaching par 5's in two is pretty boring. A few years ago, Zach thought his way around Augusta, playing every par 5 as a 3 shot hole and managed to win by 2 strokes. As for having a lot of trouble in the landing area, that's part and parcel of having a quality course designer. You'd be pretty bored if you played a course where your landing area was 25 yards wider than the rest of the fairway with no bunkers/water/OB anywhere near the area. The trouble makes you evaluate whether to blast away or choose a shorter club and keep it in play.
      U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

^^^^

I hear you guys.

My point is that if the hole is either TOO long or TOO much trouble at the driver LZ, thus making pulling out an iron or FW becomes automatic, it is not a good par 5.

Comment

^^^^

I hear you guys.

My point is that if the hole is either TOO long or TOO much trouble at the driver LZ, thus making pulling out an iron or FW becomes automatic, it is not a good par 5.
          golf is more than who can hit it farthest....

with the advances in technology too many tour par 5's are too short and easy for players that they are really just long 4's

if that is what you enjoy then maybe Long Drive would be what you should watch

to be a fair and proper challenge if a course say has 4 par 5's then I believe having two that allow the opportunity to get on the green with your second shot with a good tee shot is plenty. The other 2 should automatically be 3 shot par 5's or have some very high risk reward factor for placement of the tee shot in order to allow the opportunity to get on in 2 shots

par 5's that allow players to hit mid irons into them for their second shot are a joke IMO and should not be par 5's and the tours seems to agree as they have turned many in recent years to long par 4's
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

The mark of a good par 5 is that it gives the majority a chance to give it a go in two. Trends now either have them too long so its an automatic 3 shotter and that's not exciting at all. The whole point of a par 5 is that your risk should go up if you decide to go for the green. I agree that 2 of these are usually enough but a auto 3 shot par 5 is just a waste of time in my books.

Take Augusta for example....RISK / REWARD is a huge factor on the back and that makes for exciting golf. You can make an eagle or a big number ... your choice. An auto 3 shotter is cake for these guys as well....but you throw some risk/reward into play for the majority of guys and their course management really comes into play. The front 5's are just as good although much longer and less accessable but not auto 3 shotters

I seem to remember Jack saying that the best holes in golf are reachable par 4's and a reachable par 5 should be no different as long as the RISK aspect is there.

The reason they change some reachable 5's into 4's is because there is no risk involved....take the 1st hole at the Abbey for instance.
            Last edited by oNe16tH; Jan 26, 2011, 01:31 PM.
            Ping G430lst 9 Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
            Titleist TSI2 15 Tensei Pro Orange 80tx
            Titleist TSI2 20.25 Tensei Pro Orange 90tx
            Titleist T100s KBS Tour V 125 Tour Spec
            Titleist SM8 KBS Tour V 125 Tour Spec
            L.A.B Golf Directed Force 2.1

Comment

While I agree that the game is more than just who can hit it far enough, watching that south american kid in the tourney this weekend past hit a 230 yard 5 iron just about made me sick! That makes ANY Par 5 reachable in 2...
              Still getting the hang of this game!

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
              Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
              Nike 23 degree hybrid
              Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
              Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
              Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

Comment

Originally posted by mcgsxr View Post
                While I agree that the game is more than just who can hit it far enough, watching that south american kid in the tourney this weekend past hit a 230 yard 5 iron just about made me sick! That makes ANY Par 5 reachable in 2...
                You should see imAnewbie's 200 yard 7 iron
                Ping G430lst 9 Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
                Titleist TSI2 15 Tensei Pro Orange 80tx
                Titleist TSI2 20.25 Tensei Pro Orange 90tx
                Titleist T100s KBS Tour V 125 Tour Spec
                Titleist SM8 KBS Tour V 125 Tour Spec
                L.A.B Golf Directed Force 2.1

Comment

I'm intrigued by a pro's risk mgmt. I tend to view the par 5s as either good par 5s or bad par 5s. The long hitters expose and exploit the bad par 5s.

Good par 5s reguire ball placement/landing, and the short iron is the tool of choice on the 3rd shot. These holes are few and far between.
                  Albert Einstein once said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". and the man's never seen my swing!

Comment

^^^^

I hear you guys.

I always thought the idea behind tournaments was that golfers compete against each other on a level playing field. If its a hard par 5, its a hard par 5 for everyone.

A one stroke lead wins any tournament whether it is at par or at -15.

from an entertainment perspective though, I would agree that you want at least some of the par 5's to be drivable. Sigh, what ever happened to the good old days when you walked 5 miles uphill (both ways) to and from school and sports were sports, not entertainment?
                    In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
                    and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

Originally posted by oNe16tH View Post
                      You should see imAnewbie's 200 yard 7 iron
                      so you've finally seen it?

Comment

I think a good par 5 should afford 20-50% of the players in the field to try to get on the green in 2 rather than making it an easy decision for the players to lay up. Thoughts?
                        Not meaning to be cynical or negative, consider this: PAR is a meaningless term. All golf holes are designed for the golfer to play from point A to point B so calling it a par three, four or five, does not alter the distance one has to play. The only thing that counts is the number of strokes taken on a hole and the sum of the 18 holes played.

Calling a score of 4 on a hole a bogey, birdie or a par, does not alter the fact that the score is a 4. Remove the term PAR from the game and what changes? Nothing. It's still total strokes taken.

The second shots on 13 and 15 at Augusta are exciting because they are long and very difficult, not because of the term "par 5."

Lastly, if one needs to use a term to easily figure out where the players stand, use the word "fours," as it relates accurately to how the player is actually scoring.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
                          Not meaning to be cynical or negative, consider this: PAR is a meaningless term. All golf holes are designed for the golfer to play from point A to point B so calling it a par three, four or five, does not alter the distance one has to play. The only thing that counts is the number of strokes taken on a hole and the sum of the 18 holes played.

Calling a score of 4 on a hole a bogey, birdie or a par, does not alter the fact that the score is a 4. Remove the term PAR from the game and what changes? Nothing. It's still total strokes taken.

The second shots on 13 and 15 at Augusta are exciting because they are long and very difficult, not because of the term "par 5."

Lastly, if one needs to use a term to easily figure out where the players stand, use the word "fours," as it relates accurately to how the player is actually scoring.
                          One of the better comments I have heard in a while!
                          My game is rubbish with shades of brilliance.

Comment

you'll notice that even the longer players only attempt at reaching the long par 5. Most miss it slightly. With the potential for eagle taken away where was the advantage? Now they'll look silly if they miss their eagle chip or birdie putt and look like chumps if they indeed have to settle for par. Mentally that has to grate on them.

Comment

Originally posted by dekker View Post
                              you'll notice that even the longer players only attempt at reaching the long par 5. Most miss it slightly. With the potential for eagle taken away where was the advantage? Now they'll look silly if they miss their eagle chip or birdie putt and look like chumps if they indeed have to settle for par. Mentally that has to grate on them.
                              Sometimes those little chips/pitches are harder than the 100 yard wedges. Back when the Canadian Open was at Glen Abbey, more than a few guys laid up to 100 or so for an easy wedge in.
                              Driver: Ping 10*
                              Wood: Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood
                              Irons: Accuform PTM (3 - PW)
                              Hybrid: TaylorMade 3 (OUT - had enough, make me an offer)
                              Wedges: Cleveland 54* & 60*, TaylorMade 52*
                              Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Two "The Art of Putting"
                              Bag: Ogio Ultra light
                              Balls: Pro v1 / TaylorMade Red

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X