PDA

View Full Version : PGA vs EuropeanTour

podarum
Jan 31, 2011, 08:50 PM
I've started watching the PGA tour 2 years ago and this year the European tour, but still too early to judge which is better. Bias draws me towards the PGA tour and the fact that some Europeans like Kaymer, McIlroy and Westwood seem to have a bit of a beef with the PGA this year, that doesn't help.

dekker
Jan 31, 2011, 10:25 PM
the Euro Tour is better because they drink good beer, we don't. They drink better wine. We don't. They drink better Scotch. We don't. They drive better cars.We don't. They have better looking nannies. We don't. I rest my case.

Borbor
Jan 31, 2011, 10:50 PM
I've started watching the PGA tour 2 years ago and this year the European tour, but still too early to judge which is better. Bias draws me towards the PGA tour and the fact that some Europeans like Kaymer, McIlroy and Westwood seem to have a bit of a beef with the PGA this year, that doesn't help.

I'll take Renton Laidlaw on my speakers over Kelly Tilghman any day of the week.

Faldo can jump off the tower while we're at it.

Greywolf
Feb 1, 2011, 03:32 AM
Hard for me to pick one over the other, I enjoy watching both tours and players. I do prefer the European commentary more.

golf nut
Feb 1, 2011, 04:05 AM
I find the Euros simply gel better, better attitude, better beer.

Not hard to figure who I cheer for in the Ryder Cup.

Fredk
Feb 1, 2011, 05:22 AM
the Euro Tour is better because they drink good beer, we don't. They drink better wine. We don't. They drink better Scotch. We don't. They drive better cars.We don't. They have better looking nannies. We don't. I rest my case.
I'll argue better wine as there are many world class wines produced in Canada, but you have me on nannies. They certainly had better booth bait when I did trade shows in Europe!

Lefty17
Feb 1, 2011, 06:40 AM
I enjoy the European Tour... better coverage less commericals, better color guys, and a mixture of course of the year. Plus the better players play over there.

Bentley01
Feb 1, 2011, 07:19 AM
I'll argue better wine as there are many world class wines produced in Canada, but you have me on nannies. They certainly had better booth bait when I did trade shows in Europe!

Which winery do you work for?:D

I like Canadian wines as much as the next guy (actually a lot more), but the Euros have us beat hands down, in every category, except in icewines.

If you were comparing Canadian vs. British wines:eek:, then you are correct, sir.:D

Dekker got it right. The only thing that might make the European Tour better would be to turn the nannies into cheerleaders:) (no need to change their outfits):p. Put that on TV and the European Tour overtakes the PGA, IMHO.

Bellyhungry
Feb 1, 2011, 08:10 AM
All these endorsements about the Euro Tour, but I hardly ever see any threads being started to talk about any one of their tournaments. :confused:

Bentley01
Feb 1, 2011, 08:20 AM
All these endorsements about the Euro Tour, but I hardly ever see any threads being started to talk about any one of their tournaments. :confused:

It's because after all of that French and Italian wine (maybe a bit of German wine, too, now that Kaymer is on the scene), we can barely type.:eek::D

Richd
Feb 1, 2011, 08:35 AM

but they all seem to fly commercial:eek:

Bentley01
Feb 1, 2011, 08:45 AM
but they all seem to fly commercial:eek:

More like cattle class on RyanAir or EasyJet! It almost costs more to get to the airport (Stansted) than it does to fly:eek:. That's how they get away with lower purses.:D

Weirfan
Feb 1, 2011, 08:57 AM
While I like to watch both tours...

like a few posters above I also prefer the coverage on the Eruopean Tour....less biased, less arse kissing and fluff and most importantly balanced coverage.

with 13 of the world's top 20 golfers you can't argue that the don't have the best golfers in the world belonging to that tour.

No question the European fans are more cordial ( few if any "get in the hole" arseholes) and definitely more knowledgeable which they always point out at the Open

I guess the draw for me to the PGA is my familiarity with the courses, prefer the NA style course to most I see on the Euro Tour excepting the Open Championship courses which I like alot

I will continue watch both...

dekker
Feb 1, 2011, 09:51 AM
well for me it's about familiarity. Same ol' same ol' on the PGA.
My skin crawls when Nantz brings on the sponsor CEO and gently guides him through his alloted 2 minutes extolling the charity they support and how gratefull they are to be the sponsor. Totally effed up and the total reverse of what should be said. Nantz,on behalf the PGA, should be kissing his behind.

On the Euro I get to see new courses, new faces and some fine players I have never heard of, and less arss kissing by everybody.

Habcentric
Feb 1, 2011, 09:51 AM
I'll watch whichever one I can when I have the time to watch golf. I love the PGA Tour in primetime on GC when they replay that day's round right before bed. Helps me 'visualize' how far off my game is while I sleep, lol.

Golden Bear
Feb 1, 2011, 10:17 AM
It's quality golf either way, as long as there's a strong field. The only difference is that Euro is live or near-live in the morning, PGA is live in the afternoon. Which I prefer watching depends what I'm busy with that particular weekend.

podarum
Feb 1, 2011, 10:45 AM
But how do you guys feel about a slight snub from the Euros towards the PGA tour ?... although from previous posts, I think I get the answer..:rofl:

MizunoMan
Feb 1, 2011, 11:57 AM
I don't watch a ton of golf but i love watching the euro tour. Who wouldn't want to travel the world playing all those amazing courses. I really love the different types of courses and nature they have on every week. I'm really surprised that more top players don't play on that tour even with the purse differences.

MM

BowmanvilleJim
Feb 1, 2011, 01:33 PM
But how do you guys feel about a slight snub from the Euros towards the PGA tour ?... although from previous posts, I think I get the answer..:rofl:

There was no snub. The fact is that the players are INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS, which is the way the Tours want it. Additionally I have no financial stake in the tour so I couldn't care less if some euros choose to play elsewhere. Even Eldrick opts to play over seas on occassion instead of that weeks PGA Tour event.

Jeffc
Feb 1, 2011, 01:36 PM
well for me it's about familiarity. Same ol' same ol' on the PGA.
My skin crawls when Nantz brings on the sponsor CEO and gently guides him through his alloted 2 minutes extolling the charity they support and how gratefull they are to be the sponsor. Totally effed up and the total reverse of what should be said. Nantz,on behalf the PGA, should be kissing his behind.

lol...couldn't have said it better myself....:D

Bellyhungry
Feb 1, 2011, 01:58 PM
I like the LPGA more.:D

Playthru
Feb 1, 2011, 02:09 PM

Their nannies can also wield a good 9 iron. Just ask Tiger.

cmartin
Feb 5, 2011, 11:22 AM

I completely agree. Couldn't have said it better myself

laps
Feb 5, 2011, 02:14 PM
You could argue that the Americans are snubbing the European Tour.

Bosco
Feb 5, 2011, 03:22 PM
i'll watch both, tend to lean towards euro tour. Watch a bit in the morning, go out and play in the afternoon.
On a side note, anyone know how euro players are taxed on money won on either tour. Could be part of the reason quite a few of them are staying closer to home this year.

scottypro
Feb 11, 2011, 03:54 PM
You could argue that the Americans are snubbing the European Tour.

They are probably staying on the PGA tour because of the bigger purses there. Without appearance money (which only the elite get) there is realy no advantage to go play in another country.

moneyjism
Feb 11, 2011, 05:43 PM
The Euro commentary has got me hooked, it's pure golf you don't get those feel good stories you get with Jimmy Roberts. The commentator treats the viewer as intelligent people and doesn't feel the need to set up every shot with blabbering nonsense. That being said i do like Faldo he is a very intelligent golfer and does well to explain the types of shots the players might be trying to hit. Can't forget the gallery either "GET IN THE HOLE". Stick it in your mouth.

cjcruz
Feb 11, 2011, 06:06 PM
I'll take Renton Laidlaw on my speakers over Kelly Tilghman any day of the week.

Faldo can jump off the tower while we're at it.

+1, commentaries on the Euro tour is better at times...though both tours are still entertaining to watch.

scottypro
Feb 12, 2011, 06:52 AM
Fair and unbiased reporting from any over sea tour and you get to see shots from all players in the field.

I only watch the PGA golf tournament after i recorded it so i can fast forward through the commercials and put the "mute" on.....

Bellyhungry
Feb 16, 2011, 10:24 PM
For all the European Tour fans, don't miss this week's Avantha Masters played on a 6500 golf course.

Don't miss the witty commentary, the lack of arse-kissing, the lack of excessive commercial interruptions, the comaderie of the players, and last but not least, don't miss the tour that produces more top 20 players than any other tours.

Malibook
Feb 17, 2011, 12:02 AM
The top players in the world play in the majors, WGCs, and several other PGA Tour events so if some don't want to play enough events to maintain a card here, so what?

There is way more depth of talent of the PGA Tour and for many golfers it is much easier to crack the EPGA first and move up to the PGA Tour.
Yes there are some elite golfers who choose to play more in Europe but they are more an exception rather than the norm.
Most don't have the option.

How many EPGA players from 100-125 could get a PGA Tour card if they wanted to?
How many outside of the top 50 could?
Not many.

PACIFIC PALISADES, Calif. -- Robert Karlsson (http://www.pgatour.com/players/01/99/70/) may not exactly be herpetophobic, but he isn't a big fan of alligators and snakes like the ones you can find roaming around in Florida.
"And I'm not talking about their sports teams," he said with a chuckle.
So when the 41-year-old PGA TOUR rookie was looking for a U.S. base of operations, he chose Charlotte, N.C., instead. He liked the well-connected airport, the cosmopolitan feel of the city and the way the foliage reminded him of his native Sweden. Friendships he developed while playing in the Quail Hollow Championship helped, too.
Maybe there was a little bit of destiny working, too. After the Verizon Heritage a year ago, Karlsson was going to take his children back to the family's apartment in Monaco so they could return to school -- but Mother Nature had other plans.
"The Icelandic volcano had the eruption and they couldn't fly back, so we got stuck here," he recalled. "During that time ... we drove from Hilton Head up to Charlotte, and we found a house and everything, and it went pretty quickly. There we go."
But any decision to play both the PGA TOUR and European Tour goes beyond jet lag and juggling schedules, mapping out new golf courses and booking hotels. For Karlsson, who makes his debut as a TOUR member this week at the Northern Trust Open, it meant completely uprooting his wife and two children.
Karlsson's daughter Thea made him feel even better about that decision just last week, though. "Are we ever moving back to Monaco?" the 9-year-old asked her dad. When he told her no, Thea responded "Good." New friends apparently have hastened the adjustment period.
Louis Oosthuizen (http://www.pgatour.com/players/02/63/29/) has also taken up membership on the PGA TOUR this year, as has his good friend Charl Schwartzel (http://www.pgatour.com/players/02/63/31/). Apparently not worried about reptilian creatures, he has decided on Old Palm, Fla., as his home base -- which is oddly enough where Karlsson went to practice during an unseasonably bitter N.C. winter
The two South Africans and the Swede were eligible to join the PGA TOUR by virtue of their position on last year's non-member earnings list -- money that would have put them inside the TOUR's all-exempt top 125.
"It's going to be a lot of flying around," Oosthuizen said. "But I need to give myself that opportunity, and I should be able to pull it off."
The reigning British Open champ has wanted to play in the United States since he was a little boy like his mentor Ernie Els (http://www.pgatour.com/players/00/65/22/). His first major championship gives Oosthuizen the luxury of a five-year TOUR exemption, as well as entry into some of the game's most high-profile events.
"I just felt like with all the exemptions I've got now, it's a great time to do it," Oosthuizen said. "I want to give myself a few years just to see if I like it, if I enjoy it."
Karlsson actually went to q-school twice, once in 1991 and again in 1995 when he reached the final stage but failed to make what was then a 72-hole cut. "But both of those years, I wasn't really prepared for it," said Karlsson, who has gone on to win 11 times on the European Tour.
"Back then I thought the step was bigger, so I didn't really handle it that well. But I'm looking forward to it now, and I've showed myself that I'm good enough to play here, and I've done well in both majors and individual events. Now it doesn't feel like such a big step."
Not to mention, Karlsson wanted to play in the PGA TOUR Playoffs for the FedExCup -- which offers a $10 million bonus to the winner -- but only TOUR members are eligible for that competition. And waiting for sponsor's exemptions wasn't fun, either, so now the Swede can plan his schedule.
"I'm in quite a late stage in my career," Karlsson said. "... I've wanted to play on the U.S. TOUR at some stage, and now I have the possibility and I will live here with the family. It felt like quite a natural step.
Making decision to play both Tours a little easier for Karlsson and Oosthuizen is the fact that the four majors and three of the World Golf Championships count toward the membership requirements on each -- i.e., 15 events for the PGA TOUR and 13 on the European Tour. Not to mention, many international players like to play the week prior to majors and World Golf Championships, which adds to their total in the States.
Karlsson, for example, played 11 events on the PGA TOUR last year and posted a career-high finish when he lost to Lee Westwood (http://www.pgatour.com/players/02/03/96/) in a playoff at the St. Jude Classic. The 28-year-old Oosthuizen, though, has never played more than six events in a single year on TOUR so he'll have more to add in what is a Presidents Cup year.
Karlsson, who won the European Tour's season-ending Dubai World Championship last year, is looking at his schedule in blocks in 2011. He's posted top-10s in his first two events on the European Tour in Bahrain and Qatar, and he now he plans to be in the United States through THE PLAYERS Championship. Then it's back to Europe for a few before he returns to America for the FedEx St. Jude Classic the week prior to the U.S. Open.
The Swede has played an international schedule for more than two decades now. He estimates he played in 15 different countries last year; in 2011 it will be more like 10. His travel schedule will really intensify in the late fall with European Tour events in Asia and his title defense at the Dubai World Championship.
"There's only once this year I'm playing back to back weeks ... on different sides of the Atlantic and there's one time I can't avoid it, and it's from (THE PLAYERS) to the (Volvo) World Match Play in Spain," Karlsson said. "But I wanted to play both of those. But I'm just trying to avoid those kind of trips. At the end of the day I think it looks very, very good for my travel schedule this year."

http://www.pgatour.com/2011/tournaments/r007/02/16/tour-debuts/index.html

Greywolf
Feb 17, 2011, 04:09 AM
For all the European Tour fans, don't miss this week's Avantha Masters played on a 6500 golf course.

If you are going to quote numbers then you need to know the course is 6542 metres in length (7156 yards).

Bellyhungry
Feb 17, 2011, 06:31 PM
Thongchai Jaidee is my new cult hero. check out the video:

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2011/tournamentid=2011008/videoaudio/videoid=134079.html

Weirfan
Feb 17, 2011, 06:36 PM
Thongchai Jaidee is my new cult hero. check out the video:

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2011/tournamentid=2011008/videoaudio/videoid=134079.html

because he has Thong in his name;)

NikeGolfNut
Feb 18, 2011, 06:45 AM
because he has Thong in his name;)

That's too funny, as for myself I will watch whatever is on TV, and yes I will agree that the European Tour is little better

Richd
Feb 18, 2011, 09:22 AM
I don't think the level of golf is significantly different on either tour..its the coverage package that makes it different. I find the PGA tour coverage too "choppy". If they are going to cover a player they should show how he plays every shot on the hole they select.

Guy gets into trouble ff the tee on a par 5 and the next time you see him is tapping in for par.

Shankopotamus
Feb 18, 2011, 10:01 AM
I have a preference towards the PGA tour for sure, because the courses are much more of a reason to watch. With the European Tour I watch mainly for the players as I'm not very familiar with most of the courses. They play in more obscure locations that have way less history and nostalgia like Scandinavia, Asia and the Middle East. The PGA tour has lots of great stops: Hawaii, TPC Scottsdale, Torrey Pines, Pebble, Riviera, Quail Hollow, Bay Hill, Muirfield Village, Harbour Town, Sawgrass, Firestone, East Lake. I always enjoy when the Canadian Open is in Toronto too. Not sure if majors count because they count for both tours and all the best Euros usually attend, but 3 of the 4 are played on US soil and to me, nothing in Europe including the British can compare to the magic and history of Augusta or the drama of a US Open.

Also, I find the top Euros are not as charismatic and interesting as the Americans. Westwood and Kaymer seem very robotic, they never give off much personality. I've been watching Westwood for like 10 years now and have never seen him show much emotion. Rory and Graham are more fun to watch, and I always like Jiminez, but other than that I can't name too many Euros that are very interesting. The PGA tour is great too because you never know when Dustin Johnson will find some crazy rule to break.

mrf911
Feb 18, 2011, 10:48 AM
Getting sick of the PGA 70% commercials in one way or the other. I am also total sich of some idea yelling "in the hole" on every shot. The US seem to have turned golf into a football game or baseball for the crowd just to get more tickets.
Just my 2 cents.

gbrgolf
Feb 19, 2011, 12:19 PM
Heck, I really enjoy European Tour players, generally great guys with lots of personality! But week in week out, how can you compare these two Tours? some may enjoy the broadcasts, others may like the stars on the European Tour but in reality, once you get past the top 50 players on the Euro Tour, it is just not even close. I hope all the Euro Tour junkies are enjoying this weeks star studded Avantha Masters. Heck, I am watching it, but I am looking forward to the Northern Trust later on! There are a handful of events a year when the Euro Tour pays a bunch of Americans to play and the field matches or betters that of the PGA Tour.... but not often.

Richd
Feb 19, 2011, 02:22 PM
i think the same can be said of the pga tour...we just see it more so we recognize the names of the lower ranked players.

gbrgolf
Feb 19, 2011, 04:28 PM
Are you watching the Avantha Masters?

abz-pete
Feb 19, 2011, 05:19 PM
While I've enjoyed some of the Sunday coverage in the States this year, this is the first week that the PGA Tour has been more appealing the the Euro Tour.

After the matchplay next week the focus will be on the Florida swing and the Euro Tour will be low key until after the Masters.

Weirfan
Feb 19, 2011, 07:27 PM
While I've enjoyed some of the Sunday coverage in the States this year, this is the first week that the PGA Tour has been more appealing the the Euro Tour.

After the matchplay next week the focus will be on the Florida swing and the Euro Tour will be low key until after the Masters.

agree liking the PGA event this week better but that has lots to do with Freddie doing well and Rivierra which is great and steeped with history....no Tiger always is a bonus for me to;)

I do very much look forward to the match play as this is my fav format and for the record I have picked Tiger to make it to the final 8 ...blasphemy I know :rofl:

abz-pete
Feb 19, 2011, 09:35 PM
I'd be surprised if El Tigre doesn't beat Thomas Bjorn but after that, he's in trouble! :cool:

agree liking the PGA event this week better but that has lots to do with Freddie doing well and Rivierra which is great and steeped with history....no Tiger always is a bonus for me to;)

I do very much look forward to the match play as this is my fav format and for the record I have picked Tiger to make it to the final 8 ...blasphemy I know :rofl:

Bradynel
Feb 19, 2011, 09:56 PM
Hard for me to pick one over the other, I enjoy watching both tours and players. I do prefer the European commentary more.

More than Johnny Miller??? Really?

Bellyhungry
Feb 20, 2011, 12:03 PM
Someone named SSP Chowrasia won the Avantha Masters. This is his second win, tying him with Rory McIlroy for career pro wins.

I expect to see him at the Masters. Otherwise, it would be a travesty of epic porportion.

Richd
Mar 5, 2011, 03:54 PM
Not many Eurotour players doing well this week