PDA

View Full Version : Brendan Steele comments on Tiger - Gave up??

P25
Feb 2, 2011, 10:15 AM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Rookie-says-Tiger-Woods-mailed-it-in-on-Sunday-a?urn=golf-314987

wow...what a thing for a guy who's been on tour for about 3 minutes to accuse Tiger of! Not saying it's not true, but it probably was not necessary to go to the media with...

Tanner
Feb 2, 2011, 10:26 AM
the kid definitely has balls to be saying that. I mean lets be honest sundays round wasnt tigers best but to say he gave up would be a little far fetched. the young guys coming off the nationwide tour i think need to realize that if it werent for Tiger Woods the PGA tour wouldnt be where it is today. and they certainly would not be taking home $900,000+ cheques for first place. Tiger has, and will continue to grow the game for the future generations in my opinion anyways. and every player going onto the PGA tour does owe him atleast a small bit of gratitude(imo)

Lefty17
Feb 2, 2011, 10:52 AM
I'm in agreement with Tanner to some degree... Even the Nationwide Tour is a direct result of what Tiger has done to the game. Pay days are a little bit bigger now then when Duval was on it.

I'll give Steele credit for having the balls to say it I like it when guys speak out the game needs some anamosity in it. Everyone is to nice.

longirons
Feb 2, 2011, 10:57 AM
watch this video for the 'clarification' of what he said

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-videos/backpedaling-a-bit-6775/?ref=26000

what to believe.. what to believe..

aznives3
Feb 2, 2011, 10:58 AM
he already did an interview from phoenix saying that he had no intention of that coming off as being "snotty" or accusing tiger of giving up.

to be honest though, i don't really think his "explanation" made any sense, seemed to be backtracking a whole lot, moreso "apologizing" and kissing butt to make sure the next time they play together he isn't given a death stare

Ignatius Reilly
Feb 2, 2011, 11:21 AM
he already did an interview from phoenix saying that he had no intention of that coming off as being "snotty" or accusing tiger of giving up.

to be honest though, i don't really think his "explanation" made any sense, seemed to be backtracking a whole lot, moreso "apologizing" and kissing butt to make sure the next time they play together he isn't given a death stare

I think he had no idea that this would blow up the way it did - he was asked about his round and he answered. I suspect that as a rookie, he was unaware of how his comments could be interpreted.

I didn't get to see all that much of Tiger's round on Sunday as the coverage was focused so much on the leaders.

I think the "death stare" is only working at half power these days. It seems to be set at "stun" for now.

dekker
Feb 2, 2011, 11:37 AM
anyone playing with Woods these days has to realize that if a reporter sticks a mike into their face it will only be, " so what was it like to play ....." .

Any Reporters knows they can cop a cheque if they can dupe a rookie into saying something remotely controversial about their round with Tiger.

sliceisnice
Feb 2, 2011, 11:47 AM
Were did this rookie come from under a rock ! what did he think was going to happen when someone asked him a loaded question like that. and the answer he gave DUH ! :cookoo:

crazyballa9999
Feb 2, 2011, 12:12 PM
Where would red golf shirts be if it wasnt for sunday Tiger performances

par72
Feb 2, 2011, 12:27 PM
I'm not in the habit of ripping people to shred for answering a question so I won't propagate the "who the hell is Brendan Steele to be saying this" opinion...BU.. I think you'd have to be really really stupid to essentially call out Tiger in the media. He doesn't forget, and I truly hope he uses this as motivation.

I think the PGA tour could use a little more hatred. I for one really enjoy hearing Tiger repeat 9 and 8 instead of answers or watching the awkwardness of Mickelson and Weir back when Mikey was relevant. Anytime there is a storyline it's good, I just wouldn't want to be the one who Tiger is pissed at.

petvan
Feb 2, 2011, 12:28 PM
the kid definitely has balls to be saying that. I mean lets be honest sundays round wasnt tigers best but to say he gave up would be a little far fetched. the young guys coming off the nationwide tour i think need to realize that if it werent for Tiger Woods the PGA tour wouldnt be where it is today. and they certainly would not be taking home $900,000+ cheques for first place. Tiger has, and will continue to grow the game for the future generations in my opinion anyways. and every player going onto the PGA tour does owe him atleast a small bit of gratitude(imo)

Maybe Steele was trying to justify why he beat Tiger by five strokes and trying to help Tiger save face?

par72
Feb 2, 2011, 12:33 PM
Maybe Steele was trying to justify why he beat Tiger by five strokes and trying to help Tiger save face?

Tiger: 97 professional wins including 14 majors over 15 years

Brendan Steele: 5 professional wins (4 on the garden state tour) over 5 years

I think Tiger can "save face" without the help.

Weirfan
Feb 2, 2011, 12:36 PM

not likely IMO,

I have not read the articles or watched any video but based on what I saw on the weekend from Tiger, especially on the 72 nd hole when he missed that par putt, was a different Tiger, a beaten down and unmotivated person.

In this sense I agree that he gave up. If you think back to when Tiger was in the hunt, it would not matter if a putt was for eagle, birdie, par, bogey he had his game face on and no matter what the circumstance wanted to get the ball in the hole.

After day 2 I did not see that look in Tiger, I saw an angry and very frustrated man who looked and acted miserable......not the Tiger of old who no matter what was in the zone and had his game face on until the last putt was holed.....

so IMO Tiger in a sense did give in or give up......so to speak

JMHO

Bellyhungry
Feb 2, 2011, 01:15 PM
From his body language on Sunday, I believe Tiger did give up. He also seemed perplexed and lost.

As for Steele making the comment, I think there's just being cordial to not say certain things about another competitor, Tiger Woods or not.

Pingnut
Feb 2, 2011, 01:31 PM
I would have had more respect for the guy if he stuck by his first comments.

Milly6969
Feb 2, 2011, 04:00 PM
Tiger on his worst day is better than 3/4 of the PGA field on any given day

sharkhark
Feb 2, 2011, 04:45 PM
the guy spent two minutes backpedalling and kissing tigers arse..and about half a second explaining what he really meant. look kid, you said what you said and you meant it and right or wrong, you said it...dont try and kiss his butt because he might one day be your partner again and bash your head in with his game.
tiger takes note of what is said, you can bet he will find a way to smother this kids game some day..some how.
tiger looked to be trying on sunday so i dont get what a kid with zippo experience has to say about a long term veteran with more wins in one month than this kid will likely ever have in his career.

rgk5
Feb 2, 2011, 04:55 PM
Tiger on his worst day was better than 3/4 of the PGA field on any given day

Fixed your quote as last weekend did not apply.

par72
Feb 2, 2011, 05:32 PM
Fixed your quote as last weekend did not apply.

Except that he played terribly last week and was better than approximately 3/4 the field! :nono:

tasker
Feb 2, 2011, 07:23 PM
Except that he played terribly last week and was better than approximately 3/4 the field! :nono:

Huh? How's that?

Weirfan
Feb 2, 2011, 08:05 PM

Are you sure about that?

Tiger's worst day on the weekend was a 75 on day 4, he was only better than just over 20% of the field, a far cry from the better than 75% that you claim.

for the record on his second worst day he was only better than ~ 25% of the field.

please refrain from spouting crappola

par72
Feb 2, 2011, 08:15 PM
Are you sure about that?

Tiger's worst day on the weekend was a 75 on day 4, he was only better than just over 20% of the field, a far cry from the better than 75% that you claim.

for the record on his second worst day he was only better than ~ 25% of the field.

please refrain from spouting crappola

Actually, over half the field was cut... So he was much better than them :p

You sure do follow and chart Tiger very closely don't you?:confused:

Weirfan
Feb 2, 2011, 08:23 PM
Actually, over half the field was cut... So he was much better than them :p

You sure do follow and chart Tiger very closely don't you?:confused:

I don't think you can say you scored lower than somebody if they never played the round .....:rofl: if they scored 0 for that day it was lower than his 75:rolleyes:

might as well include all the PGA players that did not enter the event either as he beat them

yes I do keep tabs, I did ( unfortunately) pick Tiger in my pool to start the season and we get points for other categories in addition to money total so I do follow and keep stats on the golfers in my pool.

however I did go out of my way to confirm the numbers above

Shake99
Feb 2, 2011, 08:44 PM
There is a saying from the mouths of babes.

Fredk
Feb 2, 2011, 08:58 PM
Goodness Tiger seems to hit a raw nerve with a lot of people. Two questions:

1. Is Tiger's poor play good for golf?
2. Would the PGA be better off if Tiger started playing better or if he just disappeared and everyone moved on?

Lollihed
Feb 2, 2011, 09:47 PM

So what quarter of the field is Steele in?:confused:

RiskyBusiness
Feb 2, 2011, 09:48 PM
Comments like this, while maybe viewed as innocent from those who dispense them, tend to be inflammatory. It wasn't so much that he said it against Tiger, but that no one can truly know what his (Tiger's) mind set was or is for that matter.

Giving "your all," whether at the office, with the family or on the golf course is relative for that particular moment in time. It's fluid, not static.

It may very well be Steele's and others perception but in the end, it doesn't matter. The sum of the events that transpired allowed Tiger to finish where he did. The search for continued success will move forward, Steele's included.

- RB.

Leftygolfer30
Feb 2, 2011, 11:11 PM
Goodness Tiger seems to hit a raw nerve with a lot of people. Two questions:

1. Is Tiger's poor play good for golf?
2. Would the PGA be better off if Tiger started playing better or if he just disappeared and everyone moved on?

You've only been here since last October, you haven't seen ANYTHING yet! ;)

Big Shooter
Feb 3, 2011, 01:15 AM
semantics :rolleyes: