PDA

View Full Version : Weir Chops Again; What's The Cure?

Pages : [1] 2 3

rgk5
Feb 12, 2011, 04:55 PM
Check his scores this week.

http://www.pgatour.com/players/01/04/23/scorecards/2011/r005.html

grasbunkers
Feb 12, 2011, 05:02 PM
155 in driving distance
143 in driving accuracy

tells it all really

golfingoalie
Feb 12, 2011, 05:07 PM
Retire.

rgk5
Feb 12, 2011, 05:49 PM
Retire.

I agree.

gbrgolf
Feb 12, 2011, 05:53 PM
Retire.

Geez! what does that say about the 60 guys that finished behind him???

JSGolf
Feb 12, 2011, 05:57 PM
His personality finally caught up to him........ Seriously though you can't be short and all over the place.

Lefty17
Feb 12, 2011, 06:12 PM
His personality finally caught up to him........ Seriously though you can't be short and all over the place.

That's the answer right there... For short hitters you have to be in the fairway.

I haven't expected much from Mikey since the last Open at Bethpage... played wonderful golf but since then he's be terrible.

mr.pinchy
Feb 12, 2011, 08:07 PM
And i suppose you guys have won Ontario championship twice and the Masters...

JDslim
Feb 12, 2011, 08:43 PM

Can't keep living on past glories. He is finished

tickyboy
Feb 12, 2011, 08:56 PM

Winning a major 8 years ago doesn't mean you can play forever. Look at the other majors winners in the past 8 years. Remember Michael Campbell? Neither do I. Micheel? Curtis? Hamilton? YE Yang? How is Weir different?

It's time for Weir to wrap it up. The break it point was when he decided he'd be his own coach. He's got $$$ it's not like he needs to play to make a living.

SeanFTW
Feb 12, 2011, 09:05 PM
The guy had only 2 top 25's last year in 19 events, and only made the cut in 11 of those 19. Compare that to 2008 when he made 20 of 26 cuts and had 13 top 25's. Stick a fork in him, he's done.

bigred
Feb 12, 2011, 09:17 PM
Have to agree with most here, he's finished.

Take some time off (10 years), let the body fully recover, get his **** together, then make a return to the Champions Tour.

P25
Feb 12, 2011, 09:45 PM

Not sure what your point is. :confused:

Nobody has said they're better than him, or that they've accomplished more in golf than he has. The fact is he appears to be done. He cannot string together 4 good rounds of golf anymore.

golf nut
Feb 12, 2011, 10:03 PM

Not quite, "But we did stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night".

jefflin
Feb 12, 2011, 11:08 PM
I agree with most of you guys looking at the past evidence of the last few years but he has only begun this season and plans to play it. Shouldn't we leave the judgment close to the end of this year or at least near the middle?

unskinnybop99
Feb 13, 2011, 01:44 AM
Weir is in a slump....these poor rounds will be his wake up call...some positive changes and he'll be back. Weir and Tiger in the final tee-time at the Masters on Sunday........you heard it here first!

Greywolf
Feb 13, 2011, 05:56 AM
Not quite, "But we did stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night".

Kicked out of the house again?;)

Weir is in a slump....these poor rounds will be his wake up call...some positive changes and he'll be back. Weir and Tiger in the final tee-time at the Masters on Sunday........you heard it here first!

While that would be nice to see I am confident it will not happen. Weirsy is simply not playing well, he has much work yet to do. I am not sure if he will ever win again on tour, right now it does not seem likely.

rgk5
Feb 13, 2011, 07:33 AM
I agree with most of you guys looking at the past evidence of the last few years but he has only begun this season and plans to play it. Shouldn't we leave the judgment close to the end of this year or at least near the middle?

He has five events to make $525,000 to keep his card so other than a one time medical or past champion exemption his playing days as a Tour regular are over.

tickyboy
Feb 13, 2011, 07:59 AM
Kind of surprised he hasn't sought help from Foley, who's methods are S&T esque, but much more fundamental. Shouldn't be the drastic swing change he's trying to do on his own.

RobertThompson
Feb 13, 2011, 08:43 AM
Not sure where you're coming up with your figures. He had five starts to make $227,500, made about $10K, so has about $217,000 left and two starts to do it. Unlikely, I'd agree.
He then can ask for exemptions, which will get him in at least another 10-15 events this year, more if he plays well, and then has TWO more annual exemptions based on his position in the all-time money leaders.
So for those making the ridiculous comments of "retire," (wonder if they would have said the same thing to Steve Stricker when he made $150,000 in all of 2003, and then continues to play badly for two more years), I doubt that is happening any time soon.
I can understand questioning whether he can return to form, but I don't particularly understand the negativity from some about him. He's won eight time -- including a world golf event and a major, as well as the tour championship. Those aren't weak field events.
That said, he has won only once since 2004, and he was last solid in 2009.Something is clearly wrong -- and this week it looked like his putting.

He has five events to make $525,000 to keep his card so other than a one time medical or past champion exemption his playing days as a Tour regular are over.

gbrgolf
Feb 13, 2011, 09:53 AM
Not sure where you're coming up with your figures. He had five starts to make $227,500, made about $10K, so has about $217,000 left and two starts to do it. Unlikely, I'd agree.
He then can ask for exemptions, which will get him in at least another 10-15 events this year, more if he plays well, and then has TWO more annual exemptions based on his position in the all-time money leaders.
So for those making the ridiculous comments of "retire," (wonder if they would have said the same thing to Steve Stricker when he made $150,000 in all of 2003, and then continues to play badly for two more years), I doubt that is happening any time soon.
I can understand questioning whether he can return to form, but I don't particularly understand the negativity from some about him. He's won eight time -- including a world golf event and a major, as well as the tour championship. Those aren't weak field events.
That said, he has won only once since 2004, and he was last solid in 2009.Something is clearly wrong -- and this week it looked like his putting.

Thank you..... some common sense!

Lefty17
Feb 13, 2011, 10:09 AM

Unfortunately for Mike he's been making changes for the last couple of years... S&T then being his own coach then back to another coach... Find the fairway since that's you start a round of golf and a hole.

I'm not writing him off... he's done alot for Canadian golf... I hate seeing doesn't matter the sport used to be great players struggle...

par72
Feb 13, 2011, 11:02 AM

What does that even mean? You've never won a Stanley Cup, Masters, Superbowl or anything like that.... Gues you may as well stop talking about sports forever.

Lefty17
Feb 13, 2011, 11:16 AM

:rofl::rofl::rofl: That's a great comment... doesn't mean much...

laps
Feb 13, 2011, 11:51 AM
I figure its business, but as a fan I would like to see him improve. For the last few years he has not given the impression that he is committed to golf. If he has made the decision to focus on family and other ventures good for him. Unfortunately, many of his other ventures rely on his name and he needs to be good at golf to maintain his "brand".

Bellyhungry
Feb 13, 2011, 12:25 PM
Weir can look to Westwood for inspiration.

rgk5
Feb 13, 2011, 01:19 PM

Yes, my numbers are probably off. Bad memory. :confused: That said he is still along way off from that lower figure.

Stricker was not in his early forties when he hit rock bottom so the comparison is not entirely valid.

RobertThompson
Feb 13, 2011, 02:38 PM
No, in his last bad year he was 38, so I guess there's no comparison.

And when he melted down he had three wins and no majors. He now has nine wins and no majors. I'd argue Weir has still had the stronger career, interestingly.

Yes, my numbers are probably off. Bad memory. :confused: That said he is still along way off from that lower figure.

Stricker was not in his early forties when he hit rock bottom so the comparison is not entirely valid.

par72
Feb 13, 2011, 02:53 PM
No, in his last bad year he was 38, so I guess there's no comparison.

And when he melted down he had three wins and no majors. He now has nine wins and no majors. I'd argue Weir has still had the stronger career, interestingly.

If Strickers game falls apart and he really never adds to those stats I'd totally agree.

Malibook
Feb 13, 2011, 03:10 PM
Of course Weir could be washed up but I think it is premature to write him off and it is way too soon for him to give up.
He had another good President's Cup just 17 months ago and he is coming off a bad injury and long layoff.

He probably won't make enough money to get fully exempt but I think he did crack the 150 for conditional status and with sponsor's exemptions he should get in at least 20 tournaments.
If he can't crack 125 this year he has his 2 exemptions for being in the top 25 in career money.

It would be nice to see Weir play well again and maybe a return to Riviera is just the thing to get him going.

bobby Jones
Feb 13, 2011, 03:19 PM
A little schadenfreude on this board???

At the end of the day he is either one or two in Canadian golf history to this point. I am glad I got a chance to witness the entire career. That said, he is a forty year old, 5'9" 159 pound golfer. How many in that category generally win PGA tournaments??? Nothing to be ashamed of at all. Take Vijay and Kenny, out of the equation, how many forty+ year olds win tournaments on a regular basis in a year??? Its all about expectations. He is in the twilight of a great career. If he can post another win or two, its icing on the cake but, for me its not necessary in my ranking of him. Please, just don't embarass yourself Mike, limping towards the Champions tour:)

Interesting tables here

http://www.pgatour.com/2008/r/winners_age_groups/index.html

http://www.pgatour.com/2008/r/winners_by_age/index.html

Tanner
Feb 13, 2011, 04:05 PM
weir has made approx 7 million in the past 4 years versus strickers 16 million. i wouldnt really compare the two. stricker is much more consistent it seems. weir definitely needs to find his game again.

gbrgolf
Feb 13, 2011, 04:40 PM
weir has made approx 7 million in the past 4 years versus strickers 16 million. i wouldnt really compare the two. stricker is much more consistent it seems. weir definitely needs to find his game again.

If you are using $$$ to compare any careers you are asking for controversy! Atrocity has had an excellent career, but up against a major, WGC and a Tour Championship? I think many of us have short memories.
Wier has overachieved his whole career, let's cheer him on rather than trash him!

RobertThompson
Feb 13, 2011, 05:22 PM
Oh, yes, there's a big difference -- Weir is 12 on the all-time money list and Stricker is 11. So you're right -- no point in comparing them. :eek:

I wasn't saying right now they are comparable. But Stricker had driver issues -- just as Weir does -- and is an excellent putter -- just as Weir is. Stricker corrected his driving issue and became a great player again.

But other than those factors, there is no comparison.

Feherty Fan
Feb 13, 2011, 05:51 PM

Fully agree here... Mike may not be the player he once was, but with his exemptions he will still have a chance to play on tour for the next 2-3 years, so I highly doubt he will be retiring anytime soon. Hopefully, he can get some of his form back...

Bosco
Feb 13, 2011, 06:34 PM
i think a change of venue would help Weir...maybe playing on the nationwide tour. Needs something to get the juices going again.

Malibook
Feb 16, 2011, 11:45 PM
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (AP) -- If the cashier at a Utah department store recognized Mike Weir (http://www.pgatour.com/players/02/75/46/), imagine the surprise of seeing the former Masters champion and eight-time PGA TOUR winner buying a bag of plastic golf balls.
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/pgatour/2011/r/02/16/weir-medical.ap/mike1.jpg

Weir

"No, I don't think I've ever bought those before," Weir said.
It spoke to the severity of pain in his right elbow, where he partially tore tendons a year ago at Hilton Head. Weir tried to play through it the rest of the 2010 season but missed the cut in seven of 10 tournaments and never cracked the top 30 in the other three.
"It was four or five months of poor golf and I shouldn't have been out there," Weir said. "It was kind of a year that was wasted. There's definitely a stubborn side to me, a hockey mentality that I can tough this out. I thought it was bad tendinitis. I was playing every day and it kept getting worse. To play when you're scared to hit the ball is not good."
That's where the plastic golf balls come in.
Weir didn't pick up a club for three months to rest his elbow, and he was eager to get back to work. In the basement of his Utah home, he grabbed a 6-iron to make an easy swing.
"Just the impact of the ball on the tee hurt," Weir said. "I called the doctors and said, 'That hurts.' And they said, 'That's good.' It's scar tissue and I had to break through that."
So he went to the store to buy plastic balls to soften the blow.
TOP 100 TO WATCH
No. 70: Mike Weir (http://www.pgatour.com/r/2011top100_player70/index.html)

"That's how I started my rehab -- little dink shots with plastic balls," he said. "After a month of that, I was hitting wedges off the ground."
Weir said he is at 90 percent strength. He can produce any swing, even digging a ball out of the rough without flinching. The Canadian is on a major medical exemption, but has only two tournaments remaining to earn $217,097 for full status the rest of the year.
He is not worried about that. Nor is he worried about an Official World Golf Ranking that has plummeted to No. 214, after ending 2009 at No. 36. This is a Presidents Cup year, and Weir risks being left off the International side for the first time since 1998.
Weir is in the field this week at the Northern Trust Open, where he won back-to-back events in 2003 and 2004.
He is not bitter about his lost year. All things considered, Weir feels fortunate.
"I just want to get back," he said. "Honestly, I feel lucky to be playing. When I came back after three months off and was chipping those balls, I thought, 'Wow, this is worse than I thought.' So I feel grateful to be out here. Whether it takes a few months or six months, I feel like I'm on the right track."

swingpure
Feb 17, 2011, 12:24 AM
Myself I am a big Mike Weir fan. His career as it is, has been terrific. Remember how you felt when he won the Masters. Remember how you felt when he beat Tiger Woods in Montreal at the Presidents Cup.

Last year was a bad year because of his injuries and this year he is trying to come back from these injuries.

He should have our support.

He has done great things as a Canadian golfer and even if he never wins another tournament, he will always be a winner in my mind.

Tanner
Feb 17, 2011, 12:53 PM
Weir off to a good start this week :(

bradtgmurray
Feb 17, 2011, 01:16 PM
Oof, +3 though 8 with a bogey and a double. Things still aren't looking good.

Malibook
Feb 17, 2011, 02:56 PM
It would be nice to see Weir play well again and maybe a return to Riviera is just the thing to get him going.Or maybe not.
+6 after 13. :eek:

RiskyBusiness
Feb 17, 2011, 05:40 PM
Dang...77...I'd take it but not going to work for him.

- RB.

ginrin
Feb 19, 2011, 08:04 AM
I've been a big fan of the best golfer Canada has produced but I fear his best days are behind him.My fear started at the Canadian open in the playoff with Vijay,it just seemed like someone torn his heart out.
Weir will not return to greatness because he lacks the lenght of a Westwood or Stricker and short hitters cannot compete as easily unless they are in the zone for 4 days,not much leeway.Really sad to see but life goes on.

Bern
Feb 19, 2011, 08:41 AM
I find it funny that most guys have no more faith in Weir but they still have faith in the Leafs.:p

Lefty17
Feb 19, 2011, 08:49 AM
Weir can be happy after his back to back rounds of 77... Donald shot 68-79...:eek: Weir wasn't the worst on Friday.

Shake99
Feb 19, 2011, 09:34 AM
I find it funny that most guys have no more faith in Weir but they still have faith in the Leafs.:p

Leafs have a longer track record of failure. Mike has had some success in the past.

Short off the tee and crooked is not a long term winning combination on the tour. 185th in distance 180 in accuracy equals shorten career. Possibly he is not as "healed" as he says otherwise he needs to find a coach who can help him find a fairway and it is NOT the S&T guys.

tyorke1
Feb 19, 2011, 12:03 PM
Relax boy's. He's going through major changes, he has small kids, I am pretty sure he will be back, if he finds a move that hits the fairway he will be fine, he will be back.

Malibook
Mar 2, 2011, 10:54 PM
It may well be the end of the road for Mike Weir (http://www.tsn.ca/golf/players/?name=mike+weir) as a fully-exempt member of the PGA Tour.
The 40-year-old from Bright's Grove, Ontario will probably need a top-five finish at this weekend's Honda Classic in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, or face losing his fully-exempt PGA status.
Should he lose that status, he will still be able to play in about 10-15 PGA events per year, but he may not be able to choose all of his events in advance.
Weir missed time last season with a torn ligament in his elbow. He chose to rest and rehabilitate the injury instead of undergoing surgery, and eventually finished 151st on the PGA money list - outside of the top 125 players who automatically retained their 2011 Tour cards.
The eight-time PGA winner was granted a major medical exemption to play this season, but the requirements of the exemption allowed Weir five tournaments to make up the approximately $227,000 in prize money between his placement and the No. 125 ranking.
The 2003 Masters champion has earned just $10,788 through four events this season, and has missed the cut three times.
Should Weir fail to make up the difference this week, he will be mostly limited to playing tournaments based on sponsor's exemptions. In addition, the amount that he has earned this season has pushed him back up from No. 151 into the Top 125-150 ranking range, which opens up more opportunities for him to play based on field availability.
As a Masters champion, he has a lifetime exemption to play at Augusta National each April. He can also play the Frys.com open in October as a former champion. And he would certainly be granted an exemption to play at the RBC Canadian Open, should he not be in the Top 125-150 range.
Weir also holds two one-time exemptions that can return him to full-time status in 2012, as a player who stands in the Top 25 and Top 50 all-time in earnings with nearly $27 million in official money over his career.
After winning the Masters, Weir peaked at fifth in the world rankings. He is now at No. 226.

http://www.tsn.ca/golf/story/?id=356153

Ignatius Reilly
Mar 2, 2011, 11:48 PM
It may well be the end of the road for Mike Weir (http://www.tsn.ca/golf/players/?name=mike+weir) as a fully-exempt member of the PGA Tour.
The 40-year-old from Bright's Grove...
http://www.tsn.ca/golf/story/?id=356153

Interesting, but with a reasonable season of sponsor's exemptions plus his 2 yrs exempt for being top 25 lifetime, it seems like there are at least 2 more years to Mikey's career. The end of the road looms, but it's not all that close yet.

Also - I read recently that he has a few more as a result of being on the President's Cup team. Lorne Rubenstein wrote this on Golf Canada's site:

But the exemption is there. Weir can play in the following tournaments: Arnold Palmer Invitational, March 24-27, Bay Hill Club & Lodge, Orlando; The Heritage, April 21-24, Harbour Town Golf Links, Hilton Head, S.C.; Crowne Plaza Invitational, May 19-22, Colonial Country Club, Ft. Worth, Tex.; Memorial, June 2-5, Muirfield Village Golf Club, June 2-5, Dublin, Ohio; AT&T National, June 30-July 3, Aronimink Golf Club, Philadelphia.
http://www.golfcanada.ca/professional-tours/pga-tour/?articleId=1917580

alwayslooking2buy!!
Mar 3, 2011, 09:42 AM
Or maybe not.
+6 after 13. :eek:

The guy has had an absoluely fantatic career. He's hurt and I think going through swing changes-much like someone else we know. It takes time. Single round scores are meaningless-as are so and so tournament here and there-let's look at his year when completed-which will probably be ok to good. If not, he's probably hurt. He deserves a heck of a lot of time-he has earned it. The guy will always be one of the best or the best Candian golfer in history.